1. Post #1
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    [release]

Yes, Steam And Source Engine Coming To Linux

Source[/release]

Is Microsoft Driving Valve and Steam to Strengthen Linux as a Gaming Platform?

Gabe:
    "1. L4D2 runs multithreaded at 250 – 300 fps on my Windows 7 machine. Single threaded it’s ~180 fps. On Linux it runs at 25 – 30 fps with the same NVidia GTX 580 video card (after getting them to fix some things), and around the same on a ATI 6970.
    2. Good tools to track down OpenGL performance and help debug rendering issues just don’t exist.
    We want to fix this. It would be nice to have people who have experience with Linux work on it."

(Click for full-size)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 43Optimistic Optimistic x 4Friendly Friendly x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,648 Posts
    Another reason to love Gaben and Valve. I simply can't wait to stop using wine altogether on my system!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 20 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    816 Posts
    When steam and source comes to linux, i will stop using windows
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 60Optimistic Optimistic x 2Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    March 2010
    4,000 Posts
    Games are one of the few reasons I still primarily use Windows, I can't wait for Steam on Linux
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 26 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    816 Posts
    Wait no, i still need windows for fucking office documents and shit :(

Edited:

My automerge D:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Glorious GNU/Linux Master Race
    May 2010
    5,021 Posts

Edited:

My automerge D:
    In my school, we use mainly office products, and my Laptop runs on linux.
    Libre office + Google docs make a great alternative to Microsoft office products.

I never had a problem once.

or you could just create a VM with windows on it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

7. Post #7
    June 2008
    3,330 Posts

Edited:

My automerge D:
    I think at that point I'll dual boot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    Yeah, I'm gonna remain skeptical, until there's a bunch of files from Valve that I can mess with myself.

9. Post #9

January 2012
    68 Posts
    Haha. This is going to be fun, if anyone thinks that Linux drivers and Xorg are even halfway capable of running a modern commercial game reliably and consistently, they are hilariously mistaken.

Basically expect sizable delays between windows and Linux releases and expect things that are supposed to work to flat out fail. Some people have trouble getting HIB games to work right without a lot of command-line foolery.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 36Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Cool. Where's the evidence that Steam is coming? Or the source engine? Or anything besides them testing if it's viable?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,006 Posts
    Haha. This is going to be fun, if anyone thinks that Linux drivers and Xorg are even halfway capable of running a modern commercial game reliably and consistently, they are hilariously mistaken.

Basically expect sizable delays between windows and Linux releases and expect things that are supposed to work to flat out fail. Some people have trouble getting HIB games to work right without a lot of command-line foolery.
    I've been using linux as a main OS, for around 6 months since windows broke. I'll be the judge of that statement, and frankly, if something can run a wine game well, it'd work better on native linux.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 5Zing Zing x 2Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    1,339 Posts
    Awesome, I've been getting sick of windows for a long time now, and it's only the fact I can't play games and control my fan speed on Linux that I haven't switched, this will definitely motivate me to try to figure out lm-sensors again in the future.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,648 Posts
    Some people have trouble getting HIB games to work right without a lot of command-line foolery.
    I found lots of the hib games were bad ports. One wasn't even ported and ran through mono. (Spacechem)
    I particularly have no trouble playing Doom 3, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and valve games on linux which they all are pretty modern. Doom 3 actually has a pretty good linux port too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    May 2007
    858 Posts
    Why on earth would you want Steam on linux?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 47Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15

April 2012
    59 Posts
    idk to play games or some shit?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Philippines Show Events Agree Agree x 14Winner Winner x 4Zing Zing x 3Funny Funny x 3 (list)

16. Post #16
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    Tucan Sam posted:
    Vaporless chat. ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,648 Posts
    Why would you ask that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

18. Post #18
    January 2010
    620 Posts
    TF2 on Linux.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

19. Post #19
    May 2007
    858 Posts
    idk to play games or some shit?
    Steam =! games. Steam is the client, the games will still need linux support
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 26 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,108 Posts
    So now that Wine is working great and it even magically allows use of window manager commands in fullscreen X windows with full input grabs (Like alt+tabbing out of a frozen game or changing the system volume without having to close the game) they start thinking about a Linux port.
    Gah, if this ever happens I'll just keep running Steam in Wine if only for not being stuck to a game having to resort to Control+Alt+F1 when it freezes.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Again, what Steam port?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    2,530 Posts
    Aaand now I need to change my pants.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    Again, what Steam port?
    Dude... Left 4 Dead 2 is being ported to Linux, as stated in the Email of my OP. L4D2 runs on the Source Engine, which in turn is Steam-dependent. Now that I've connected the dots for you, shall I color the picture for you too?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Late Late x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,495 Posts

25. Post #25
    Gold Member

May 2008
    1,986 Posts
    The article also includes the Source engine, but regardless of that, Valve isn't a dumb company and wouldn't pull something like that.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    It's pretty much already there since the source engine is available for OSX.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Dude... Left 4 Dead 2 is being ported to Linux, as stated in the Email of my OP. L4D2 runs on the Source Engine, which in turn is Steam-dependent. Now that I've connected the dots for you, shall I color the picture for you too?
    It doesn't matter what you or I can infer, it matters what the evidence provides. L4D2 could be ported with a Steam stub, to test if it's viable to port games to Linux.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    Being able to use Steam chat while in Linux is pretty valuable.
    That's why people were so excited about the iOS/Android Steam app. Obviously those clients don't run games, but you can chat with friends while on the bus.

Secondly, there are quite a few games that are on Steam that have a Linux port like all of the HIB games. Of course Steam isn't required to play Linux games, but it'd be niice to have.

Thirdly, Steam for Linux could legitimize Linux gaming like it did for OS X.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

29. Post #29
    May 2007
    858 Posts
    Being able to use Steam chat while in Linux is pretty valuable.
    That's why people were so excited about the iOS/Android Steam app. Obviously those clients don't run games, but you can chat with friends while on the bus.

Secondly, there are quite a few games that are on Steam that have a Linux port like all of the HIB games. Of course Steam isn't required to play Linux games, but it'd be niice to have.

Thirdly, Steam for Linux could legitimize Linux gaming like it did for OS X.
    Yeah can't wait to talk to my bffs on my sme server
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 15Late Late x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Glorious GNU/Linux Master Race
    May 2010
    5,021 Posts
    Yeah can't wait to talk to my bffs on my sme server
    I don't know, but everytime I see a post of you, you always seem to bash other peoples opinions.

On topic:
    If the source engine will be available on linux, I'd immediately switch to linux as my main OS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

31. Post #31
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    I don't know, but everytime I see a post of you, you always seem to bash other peoples opinions.

On topic:
    If the source engine will be available on linux, I'd immediately switch to linux as my main OS.
    Same. I'm almost pretty much done with Windows anyway, since I pretty much only play HiB games, Desura and Minecraft.

32. Post #32
    August 2010
    855 Posts
    But how will it be avaible? As a make script that grabs the binary files and installs them on the system, or as .rpm/.deb/pacman packages
    (since steam is closed-source)

33. Post #33
    August 2010
    855 Posts
    Nah, if source sdk gets ported with fully working hammer editor on linux, then more people would move away from windows.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,006 Posts
    Nah, if source sdk gets ported with fully working hammer editor on linux, then I would move away from windows.
    Fixed

I think a LOT more people use steam for gaming than for modding
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    Broken

I think a LOT more people use steam for gaming than for modding
    FTFY.

He said 'more people', not 'most people', and he's completely right. There are definitely people who produce content on Windows because they have to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

36. Post #36
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    7,069 Posts
    I really really do hope this happens...Even if the Steam library doesn't have a lot of Linux support, it'd just be nice to use Steam chat and have a nice game manager...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,006 Posts
    FTFY.

He said 'more people', not 'most people', and he's completely right. There are definitely people who produce content on Windows because they have to.
    Oh!
    I mistakenly thought he meant that more people would go because of an SDK, not because of games.

Sorry
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    I would use the SDK and Hammer in Linux if it were more stable than it's Windows counterpart. Even if that means taking a slight performance hit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    November 2011
    482 Posts
    I really really do hope this happens...Even if the Steam library doesn't have a lot of Linux support, it'd just be nice to use Steam chat and have a nice game manager...
    I think that most of the games that are available for OSX at the minute will probably be ported, and any upcoming games that will be ported to OSX will too. They're both *NIX systems and both use OpenGL.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

40. Post #40
    I DEFY YOU, HEART MAN!
    December 2011
    391 Posts

3:50

"A Linux Port"
    For a Source game. CONFIRMED
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)