1. Post #1

March 2012
    3 Posts
    HIGH EVERYBODY! I just wan't to hear other people on face-punch's opinion about Milsims. (military simulators) because me and my new team the Kudryavka, or little curly, are thinking about starting milsims, and where the best ones are. We want milsims in the state of Missouri. We have a heavy weapons guy, a CQB, a sniper, and some guys w/ assault rifles, but the biggest weapons we've got is the famous world war two tank, the T-34, but scaled down to 3/5 scale, and a full scale soviet howitzer, both fire bags of air-soft BBs. We are looking to win milsim matches. We are going full Russian Spetsnaz, we have an RPK, a Dragonov, two or three AK-74s, and an AK-47. Unfortunately some of our squad must be put in our tank and the Howitzer crew. So post back and give us some locations.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    12,424 Posts
    you are looking to "win" milsim matches
    milsim isn't about winning or losing really, it's not a competitive atmosphere at all
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    7,089 Posts
    We have a heavy weapons guy, a CQB,.
    You have a CQB guy? Just one?

What happens if the entire enemy team is in a building, do you just send him in?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 12Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Shotgun Guru
    February 2009
    7,313 Posts
    Serious question: Is everyone on your squad 18 or older? That's a requirement for all milsim ops.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    February 2010
    1,243 Posts
    You have a CQB guy? Just one?

What happens if the entire enemy team is in a building, do you just send him in?
    He's all they need to send in.

you are looking to "win" milsim matches
    milsim isn't about winning or losing really, it's not a competitive atmosphere at all
    It can be, just in a different way than a speedball sort of competitive. You compete against yourself to get better as an airsofter and as an airsofting team. As a show of this and as a result of this, you may be victorious more often at games and events.

Serious question: Is everyone on your squad 18 or older? That's a requirement for all milsim ops.
    Most, but certainly not all. If you look, there are plenty of milsim events you can attend that don't have this rule.

Just make your team official, make things formal. Get some training with each other, divvy yourselves into units, each with a leader and possibly with specialized positions. When you're ready to kick ass, start scanning airsoft forums (ASR, ASF, ect.) and look for local games. Unless you're lucky, you'll have to travel farther for better events. Find a nice national event like Irene, Blacksheep, ect. and ask your team mates about it well in advance. Get a plan worked out to attend. Make it happen. Once you start going to events team members will be more willing to attend future events.

6. Post #6

March 2012
    3 Posts
    we were just thinking about doing milsims, and I was just wondering what face-punch thinks of milsims and if they are really worth doing. We are currently just doing small time open matches at fields in Missouri. Most of the team is 18, and we just want some places to take the tank and field gun for a spin. We only have one CQB guy because he bout the gun before he joined the team and he doesn't have enough money to buy a new one. We don't mind only having one because most of the places we play at are just open fields that would be great for a field gun.

7. Post #7
    No such thing as overkill.
    January 2007
    7,921 Posts
    the famous world war two tank, the T-34, but scaled down to 3/5 scale, and a full scale soviet howitzer
    Not to sound like a dick, but those are some pretty big claims without pictures. Do you have any media of these, I have a friend who's looking to procure base parts for a tank and would likely be interested in how you built yours.

And if you could afford a tank, can't you afford to re-equip the CQB guy?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    2,848 Posts
    lol win milsim matches
    As far as I'm concerned there is two types of Milsim, a scripted one, and one where its sort of sandbox.

Scripted - its set in stone usually who will win, and theres a lot of LARP involved
    Sandbox - You're given missions, and it's up to the team to decide how you want to achieve that goal, and nobody is set to win.

Then again I could be totally fucking wrong but thats just how I look at things.

9. Post #9
    December 2009
    13,530 Posts
    I misread the title as Muslims.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #10

March 2012
    3 Posts
    @catbarf I have used this sight to help me build my tank. (note) you need to register to the website before you can actually view the tanks. Daves page helped me out the most http://www.scaledtanks.com/news.php

P.S. I asked him about re-equipping him, but he doesn't want to get rid of his gun.

11. Post #11
    No such thing as overkill.
    January 2007
    7,921 Posts
    @catbarf I have used this sight to help me build my tank. (note) you need to register to the website before you can actually view the tanks. Daves page helped me out the most http://www.scaledtanks.com/news.php

P.S. I asked him about re-equipping him, but he doesn't want to get rid of his gun.
    That's neat, but again, do you have any pictures or video? The engineering of building a working gun at a reduced scale is definitely beyond what that site provides.

12. Post #12
    February 2010
    1,243 Posts
    It seems that a lot of FP has a quiet hatred for milsim games. Why is this?

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    12,424 Posts
    most of ifap is pretty casual when it comes to airsoft/isn't mature enough to get into milsim
    i used to do milsim but eh, not my thing

14. Post #14
    February 2010
    1,243 Posts
    IMHO it's the only way to get away from 12 year olds and high-caps, so it's what I do.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,620 Posts
    Milsim seems kind of overrated, there's only so much you can do for immersion. For instance, restricting everyone to realcaps/30 rounds per mag is not okay because, unlike real life, you can miss a perfectly aimed shot easily (I figure it works out to be about 1.5 to 2x as much ammunition as is carried in real life). Proper lingo and fieldcraft is difficult to get down without lots of practice or at least a team to work with, something not everyone has a chance at, and it's barely worth mentioning the other stuff like scripted events and what not.

Enforce ammo limits, which railroads players into behaving a certain way, herd them subtlely in a few others ways, suddenly high quality game. No milsim necessary.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

16. Post #16
    scotty1
    I like airsoft, but not enough to spend three days in a row digging trenches and shit like some hardcore milsims. I play airsoft to have fun, see the results of upgrading my guns, and do funny stuff with my friends. I don't want to do the "dirty work" like sleeping on cots in trenches and eating SOS for a week.

17. Post #17
    I ROLL THE NICKELS
    October 2008
    18,016 Posts
    I'd love to play serious milisim. For a Columbian Drug Lord vs. DEA game we had at my field I got into character kinda it was fun, I didn't care about the fact we lost horribly and the game was run pretty badly.

Edited:

I'd sell my left leg to attend one, leave me out of that.

18. Post #18
    December 2009
    13,530 Posts
    I don't want to do the "dirty work" like sleeping on cots in trenches and eating SOS for a week.
    Don't forget your period correct spinal cord if it's Operation Eastwind.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    2,848 Posts
    I like airsoft, but not enough to spend three days in a row digging trenches and shit like some hardcore milsims. I play airsoft to have fun, see the results of upgrading my guns, and do funny stuff with my friends. I don't want to do the "dirty work" like sleeping on cots in trenches and eating SOS for a week.
    Theres this common misconception that thats what War is like. Remember we've moved onto the modern times, us Americans spend more money on Air conditioning for our tents then we do on our space program. None the less yeah Milsim can require some backbone, but i've seen small milsim events thats just a bunch of guys going out and having fun, with no set script, just sort of "this is your mission, execute it the best way you can". Vehicles are always cool to see as well.

20. Post #20
    your all nerdes
    November 2007
    14,024 Posts
    killer's scale of milsim donut steal

speedball----------regular airsoft----------milsim----------hardcore milsim------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------eastwind

21. Post #21
    I ROLL THE NICKELS
    October 2008
    18,016 Posts
    What is Eastwind?

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    2,848 Posts
    its this cold war shit.
    the only problem with it is in addition to the $200 you have to spend on the tickets to get in. You'll also end up spending like $400 in buying "period correct" gear. I guess it's pretty cool if you have the dosh, but you're better off doing a more modern milsim.

23. Post #23
    I ROLL THE NICKELS
    October 2008
    18,016 Posts
    Isn't that the same with most big games? Operation Blacksheep (Pine Plains) was $180 and in the end I'm investing like $1000 in gear and guns.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    January 2012
    592 Posts
    Eastwind was the super serious "Russia vs. UN" thing for 9 days where you needed things like period correct flashlight and gear.
    So many stupid regulations.

25. Post #25
    I ROLL THE NICKELS
    October 2008
    18,016 Posts
    That sounds awesome if it weren't so sad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    2,848 Posts
    CodeMonkey. If I can get this event off the ground, it'll be much less restrictive. You can use whatever gun you want to get the job done(granted if you've got foreign weapons you'll be placed on the Rebels side), and whatever uniform loadout you want(Hell if the rebels want to wear MultiCam, be my guest, it's not like its impossible to get.)
    The only restrictions i'm really placing are on the US team
    Uniform requirements:
    ACU, Woodland MARPAT, ABU, MultiCam, ATACS
    Gun requirements: All based on position in fire team, this will be updated later.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    2,209 Posts
    You can go to Eastwind as a "day player", meaning you'll only be playing during daylight and you won't be spending the night at the field. Gear restrictions are WAY more lenient as well.

28. Post #28
    December 2009
    13,530 Posts
    Eastwind was the super serious "Russia vs. UN" thing for 9 days where you needed things like period correct flashlight and gear.
    So many stupid regulations.
    They could do something just like that with green vs tan and fictional countries and less retarded gear requirements and it would be no less realistic. That's actually kind of what OP Mason relic up here in Canada is except only over two days and I think it's more casual milsim.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    I ROLL THE NICKELS
    October 2008
    18,016 Posts
    CodeMonkey. If I can get this event off the ground, it'll be much less restrictive. You can use whatever gun you want to get the job done(granted if you've got foreign weapons you'll be placed on the Rebels side), and whatever uniform loadout you want(Hell if the rebels want to wear MultiCam, be my guest, it's not like its impossible to get.)
    The only restrictions i'm really placing are on the US team
    Uniform requirements:
    ACU, Woodland MARPAT, ABU, MultiCam, ATACS
    Gun requirements: All based on position in fire team, this will be updated later.
    What event is this and where? I'm lost. I just came in and saw people talking about something called Eastwind so I was like "Oh, neat kinda"

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    2,848 Posts
    What event is this and where? I'm lost. I just came in and saw people talking about something called Eastwind so I was like "Oh, neat kinda"
    Operation Enemy Within is what we're calling it for now but thats not set in stone. This will be in South Florida so it's probably a long drive/flight for you since you live in somewhere thats not in florida.

Edited:

The back story we're trying to work out is an Extremist Group of Christian Radicals has been kidnapping children and training them to fight as they prepare terrorist attacks on Muslim Neighborhoods.

31. Post #31
    I ROLL THE NICKELS
    October 2008
    18,016 Posts
    New York. Definitely not going to be able to make it.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    17,890 Posts
    its this cold war shit.
    the only problem with it is in addition to the $200 you have to spend on the tickets to get in. You'll also end up spending like $400 in buying "period correct" gear. I guess it's pretty cool if you have the dosh, but you're better off doing a more modern milsim.
    Not even, nothing wrong with a cold war milsim, they just have absolutely silly requirements for gear. Shit like non period-correct canteens pouches, compasses, backpacks, and tents weren't allowed. The list went on forever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    I ROLL THE NICKELS
    October 2008
    18,016 Posts
    Period Correct Vests, Weapons, Uniforms and Headgear make sense.

Compasses, Backpacks and flashlights sound silly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    POOP DICKS
    August 2008
    4,906 Posts
    Operation Enemy Within is what we're calling it for now but thats not set in stone. This will be in South Florida so it's probably a long drive/flight for you since you live in somewhere thats not in florida.Edited:The back story we're trying to work out is an Extremist Group of Christian Radicals has been kidnapping children and training them to fight as they prepare terrorist attacks on Muslim Neighborhoods.
    Do you know when it'll be? I think I'm gonna go

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    2,848 Posts
    Do you know when it'll be? I think I'm gonna go
    It's all going to be dependent on the amount of pre-registrations we get coming out there. It's either going to be July, or during Winter Break in December.

36. Post #36
    POOP DICKS
    August 2008
    4,906 Posts
    July would leave me at the whim of a friend or my dad to drive down. December would have me being able to drive. My dad seemed interested though, so that's a positive'

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    2,848 Posts
    On the plus side we've got the staff all picked out for the US Forces. If anybody here thinks they may come down, would you be willing to lead the rebel side?

38. Post #38
    YEAH, AND?
    December 2010
    9,508 Posts
    I've been to 1 milsim. It was cool except that 1) my gun went down near the beginning of the game and I missed the whole middle (didn't have a spare or sidearm at the time), and the end was so poorly organized that the enemy were like 10 feet from our spawn the whole time. 2) The ACU team were cheating like it was their job. 3) It was incredibly poorly run.

Other than that it was kinda cool. I want to go to another someday. Something like Pine Plains or similar though. I still have yet to get down to the local CQB arena though

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    12,424 Posts
    the problem with milsim games is that they rely on the people playing to be honest and intelligent which people aren't and they require really good organization on the admin side of things which is hard to find
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

40. Post #40
    PAST TENSE DIG
    October 2007
    7,742 Posts
    The FP OP went sour organizationwise generally because the US team's leaders were supposed to keep their squads in one area (it was sort of like a push game), but the command let their squads just do anything and generally didnt command. They were supposed to talk to the Columbian leaders as well to keep everythingt running smoothly but they didn't. The next OP should run much much smoother because the staff there knows how to work together better