1. Post #41
    February 2010
    1,242 Posts
    the ammo restrictions that are part of milsim games make them infinitely more tactical. In speedball games everyone has hicaps and they never have to reload. This means you can never wait for them to run out of ammo, or wait for them to use up their mag. You can't manuver anywhere because it's like everyone has an MP5 that shoots like a minigun, and it just becomes a hose fest of two teams pouring thousands of rounds at each other from 200 feet away.

I was at a milsim game and was shooting at someone about 75 feet away. I was using real caps and my mag ran out before I could hit him. I duck behind a tree and start to reload, and I peek out and see he's got a bayonet on the end of his gun and is charging full speed at me. I drop my gun and start unholstering my .45 but I fumble with it. He's about 25 feet in front of me and 2 seconds away from killing me when one of my teammates from behind shoots him. Coolest airsoft experience ever. That never happens at speedball games.

2. Post #42
    I hate US Marines
    July 2009
    4,293 Posts
    Milsim isn't all about period correct gear ( HERE WE GO AGAIN, FOLKS ! )
    It's more about how you think, how you decide actions and how you work to make everything happen.

In our milsim here are the following that changes about
    -Games start from ~6hours to 3 days.
    -We can wear almost all camo we want, but there are some restriction ( basically everyone isn't allowed to wear MARPAT ) so people can be recognized and not have a pile of vomit running around.
    -Players act more aware and use tactics, strategies and skills built up to win.
    -No gun restrictions ( except m/s ( fp/s )
    -Revive timer and respawn timers are decently long ( average of 5 min till revived and 20 min till respawned )
    -We use two-way radios. ( Everyone uses one (seriously))
    -No running around like a retard
    -Everyone must have battle dresses (BDU's)

I'm not gonna go into more detail.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #43
    YEAH, AND?
    December 2010
    9,533 Posts
    It's more about how you think, how you decide actions and how you work to make everything happen.
    That may be how it works where you live, but fact of the matter is that's not how it is in the US.
    Nobody really likes it, that's just how it is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    December 2009
    13,738 Posts
    This is why we make fun of Eastwind so much. Like I understand not wanting players to show up to a Cold War era milsim in Multicam but when it gets to the point where period correct flashlights and everything are required then it's just silly. That's why tan vs. green or solid colors vs camo usually works fine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #45
    I hate US Marines
    July 2009
    4,293 Posts
    We're not restricting gear.Wear all you want unless it goes against rules.
    We try to make it fun not stressing to be sent home for a flashlight.Even in the most serious games.

6. Post #46
    December 2009
    13,738 Posts
    I wouldn't mind some serious uniform restrictions in a modern themed milsim though just so it doesn't become SEALs in Multicam and AOR2 vs SEALs in MARPAT. But not enough people in North America have non-American loadouts for that.

7. Post #47
    February 2010
    1,242 Posts
    That may be how it works where you live, but fact of the matter is that's not how it is in the US.
    Nobody really likes it, that's just how it is.
    If nobody liked it, then it wouldn't happen. I personally prefer more lenient gear restrictions. Some gear restrictions are good, because (from firsthand experience) there's nothing worse than missing the opportunity to waste a whole bunch of enemies because there are no uniform requirements and they look just like your guys. For historical events I like somewhat lenient requirements too because it lets more people attend the games, and people might attend with "okayish" gear the first time and be encouraged to come back with really good gear next time. At a certain vietnam game, they encourage correct gear, but allow people who have olive drab BDUs and modern M4A1s with the fancy accessories taken off, and no restrictions on sleeping/camping gear. otherwise they'd get only half of their normal attendance. I think everyone on FP just has a bad impression of milsim games because they've never been to one and the only one they've really looked into the gear requirements of is East Wind (which has ridiculous requirements, but it is THEIR event so whatever.)

8. Post #48
    YEAH, AND?
    December 2010
    9,533 Posts
    @rivershark, I don't know where you live, but by me we only have 2 types of milsim: 1) ultra over serious shit like Eastwind. or 2) incredibly poorly organized & administrated, basically speedball with a back story, with shitload of cheaters.

Edited:

Also, what I was trying to convey is that in the US people get all uptight about "historical correctness" and alot of the time they go overboard. It's for exactly that reason why I've gotten away from reenacting.
    I can see how milsim can be alot of fun if it's well organized, but it seems like most of the enjoyment comes out of the neat fields you get to play at - and a majority of the ones with good fields are run by stitch-nazis

9. Post #49
    February 2010
    1,242 Posts
    Op: Liberty Canyon is the main one I'm talking about. It's a Vietnam game that occurs every summer in CT. Although it is pretty immersive when you're there, historically speaking they have always let people in who have modern guns with rails covered/optics removed, people who have OD BDUs for the US team and people who have Black/Tan BDUs for the NVA team. And they require mid caps or low caps. You see some insane reenactor grade kits there, but it's by no means required. Where are you based out of?

10. Post #50
    YEAH, AND?
    December 2010
    9,533 Posts
    I'm in Michigan. Seriously, the only events we have that are like that are like 7 hours away, which is too far for a 1 day event.
    Eventually I'll get out to something like Pine Plains out on the East Coast or something.

11. Post #51
    I ROLL THE NICKELS
    October 2008
    18,074 Posts
    Felix come to Operation Blacksheep coming up (Pine Plains) it'd be awesome to see you. Although I think it's a team game so not sure how you'd join up. I was never very good at these things.

Also if you guys need a Vietnam kit, one of the guys on my forum is selling one. Just putting it out there if anyone is serious about a Vietnam theme game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #52
    YEAH, AND?
    December 2010
    9,533 Posts
    I definitely want to. I'll see what I can do.

13. Post #53
    I hate US Marines
    July 2009
    4,293 Posts
    I believe we have different definitions of Milsim.
    You have - period mandatory stuff and just playing game with low/mid caps.
    We have - Thinking and working together.

As much as i hate to go ELITE about this, but, it kinda seems like it.Do prove me wrong.

Edited:

Oh by the way.
    Latvian Season Opening 2012 - Expected number of people to arrive is 370-400 people. (We're speaking about a nation of 2 mil. residents and airsoft being a "underground" sport.Also some other Baltic chaps will come by ( LT and EST )

14. Post #54
    Shotgun Guru
    February 2009
    7,351 Posts
    I think the big issue is that there is a massive amount of variation under the name of milsim.
    To me, it means organized squads, color based uniform teams (normally like 4 sets of tan, and 4 sets of green to choose from), midcap mags, higher quality sites to play at, and things like vehicles and explosives. Blacksheep/Pine Plains and Lion Claws ops are a lot more like what itsjustguy is describing, and are lots of fun.
    My only regular complaint about these types of milsim are some of the gearwhore jerks who play solely to win and cheat to do it, but that's life.

15. Post #55
    I hate US Marines
    July 2009
    4,293 Posts
    I think the big issue is that there is a massive amount of variation under the name of milsim.
    To me, it means organized squads, color based uniform teams (normally like 4 sets of tan, and 4 sets of green to choose from), midcap mags, higher quality sites to play at, and things like vehicles and explosives. Blacksheep/Pine Plains and Lion Claws ops are a lot more like what itsjustguy is describing, and are lots of fun.
    That's milsim to you ? That's like every game for us...
    Fun Fact - We call cheaters "McClouds(It's spelt different but that's how we pronounce it )

16. Post #56
    I hate US Marines
    July 2009
    4,293 Posts
    Small revival
    Fact : Season opening game is "24/7" active.That means, it's an active battlefield from may 4th 18:00 till may 5th 18:00
    No pauses unless super serious.

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,622 Posts
    I believe we have different definitions of Milsim.
    You have - period mandatory stuff and just playing game with low/mid caps.
    We have - Thinking and working together.

As much as i hate to go ELITE about this, but, it kinda seems like it.Do prove me wrong.
    The first example is more the exception rather than the rule, I have never heard of an event that demanded period-correct gear except for East Wind and a few period-themed events like 'Nam stuff and re-enactments . Usually the second example is what our milsim is (team-specific green or tan based uniforms are usually required), and it's most similar to how the (admittedly watered-down) milsim here is.