1. Post #1
    January 2012
    107 Posts
    SVN LINK HERE: http://darkrp.googlecode.com/svn/branches/beta/

Credits the the original creators
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb x 67Funny x 13Winner x 5Useful x 3Disagree x 3Agree x 2Lua King x 2Artistic x 1Late x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    685 Posts
    Hmmm, I have Spring Break, so I can setup a GMod 13 DarkRP server for this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree x 19Dumb x 9Funny x 4Agree x 4Lua Helper x 1Friendly x 1Late x 1Winner x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    April 2011
    101 Posts
    I was sort of wishing that people would let Dark RP die with the Old Gmod as we move into Gmod 13. Obviously this isn't the case.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 142Disagree x 13Dumb x 11Winner x 3Funny x 2Late x 1Artistic x 1Zing x 1Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    September 2011
    47 Posts
    What's the problem with DarkRP ? If you dont like it, just don't play it, but don't annoy everyone who's using it, damn it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Agree x 73Disagree x 47Dumb x 20Funny x 2Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    966 Posts
    How about some original gamemodes rather than this crap? It's not like we don't have enough DarkRP servers on Garry's Mod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events Agree x 58Dumb x 13Disagree x 4Winner x 2Late x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    June 2011
    792 Posts
    What's the problem with DarkRP ? If you dont like it, just don't play it, but don't annoy everyone who's using it, damn it.
    One word : NO! Stop protecting it. DarkRP is quite old and there's no RP in it. It has "prop-lympics" - prop - surf games. The ceator himself says that he's a minge. DarkRP has to die and I think Gromitooth is right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Greece Show Events Agree x 42Dumb x 16Disagree x 6Winner x 2Lua Helper x 1Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    CyberGmod Founder PropHuntv2 Home
    May 2009
    947 Posts
    Who care's if it's got to die or not? The thing is, this fellow took his time and effort to fix something up for GMod13, you should credit him for that at least.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 24Friendly x 17Optimistic x 6Dumb x 3Disagree x 3Informative x 1Funny x 1Lua King x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    13,195 Posts
    I was sort of wishing that people would let Dark RP die with the Old Gmod as we move into Gmod 13. Obviously this isn't the case.
    I wouldn't mind an improved sequel though. I don't particularly want the same old DarkRP, I'd rather have a new version seriously developed to combat its current flaws.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 19 (list)

9. Post #9
    Ah... tits!
    August 2009
    4,276 Posts
    If we don't contain the children within the darkrp servers, they'll be set free on the other servers, no thanks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny x 45Agree x 14Winner x 3Informative x 2Disagree x 2Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    JamieH is a retarded bitch <3
    July 2008
    2,189 Posts
    I thought falco has a Gmod 13 SVN for DarkRP already?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 3 (list)

11. Post #11
    January 2011
    330 Posts
    I thought falco has a Gmod 13 SVN for DarkRP already?
    He does: http://darkrp.googlecode.com/svn/branches/beta/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Lua King Lua King x 3Dumb Dumb x 2Lua Helper Lua Helper x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,808 Posts
    That really looks like a fucking mess to be honest. I kinda wish DarkRP was at least rewritten for GMod 13 so I don't have to feel entirely bad about it still being there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

13. Post #13
    May 2008
    810 Posts
    I kinda wish that there were more creative gamemode servers rather than just DarkRP LightRP LiteRP PERP and the rest of all that :derp:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 16Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

14. Post #14
    Get your own DarkRP Server!
    January 2006
    5,595 Posts
    One word : NO! Stop protecting it. DarkRP is quite old and there's no RP in it. It has "prop-lympics" - prop - surf games. The ceator himself says that he's a minge. DarkRP has to die and I think Gromitooth is right.
    Listen here, Hagrid, I don't give a Fuck what you think about DarkRP if you don't give proper feedback. Neither you nor any of the other naysayers have any authority to decide which gamemode stays and which dies. Stop demanding the death of a gamemode, no one will oblige. DarkRP is popular for a reason, and the reason might very well be the loose rp.

I would recode DarkRP, but I honestly don't have the time.

Edited:

That really looks like a fucking mess to be honest. I kinda wish DarkRP was at least rewritten for GMod 13 so I don't have to feel entirely bad about it still being there.
    I would be able to fix that mess if I knew what you meant specifically. Saying DarkRP code is shitty has genuinely become a meme on the gmod subforum. Barely anyone is ever specific.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Agree x 33Zing x 8Winner x 7Dumb x 6Friendly x 3Funny x 3Lua King x 3Lua Helper x 2Useful x 1Optimistic x 1Informative x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    June 2011
    792 Posts
    Listen here, Hagrid, I don't give a Fuck what you think about DarkRP if you don't give proper feedback. Neither you nor any of the other naysayers have any authority to decide which gamemode stays and which dies. Stop demanding the death of a gamemode, no one will oblige. DarkRP is popular for a reason, and the reason might very well be the loose rp.

Edited:

I would be able to fix that mess if I knew what you meant specifically. Saying DarkRP code is shitty has genuinely become a meme on the gmod subforum. Barely anyone is ever specific.
    Ok but I don't understand why don't you take criticism. It's kinda your fault that DarkRP has this reputation. Why don't you make things like hunger for example being on no matter what? Without hunger the chef's job is compltetely useless. Why don't you try to to do somehthing like that instead of calling me Hagrid, Snape? Also what do you mean when you say "loose rp"?

Don't get me wrong, your gamemode has great ideas in it but you should just focus more on encoraging players to RP instead of jumping around and ear raping you with their scream "IIIIII WANTTTZZZ MAAANAAAYYYYY!Y!@@!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Greece Show Events Dumb Dumb x 30Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 3Funny Funny x 3 (list)

16. Post #16
    Blue and Proud Of It.
    Dennab
    September 2011
    961 Posts
    He means that it isn't serious RP there are relaxed rules etc.

But, I have to admit it IS fun to go onto a DarkRP server and troll the fuck out of the kids.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 19Disagree Disagree x 3Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    June 2011
    792 Posts
    He means that it isn't serious RP there are relaxed rules etc.

But, I have to admit it IS fun to go onto a DarkRP server and troll the fuck out of the kids.
    It is fun to troll but not to try to RP on such server. I have treid a few times and, eventually, I gave up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Greece Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 2Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    Blue and Proud Of It.
    Dennab
    September 2011
    961 Posts
    No. DarkRP is filled with far too many little kids. It's a shame. If it didn't have all the kids wanting to be "gn deelrz" or "civl prtekshun" then it'd be a great, fun gamemode.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 11Funny Funny x 6Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,808 Posts

Edited:

Yeah sorry you're right, I shouldn't criticize anything without being specific. So here ya go:

First what I'm missing is a nice structure: the files are scattered all around, some have capitalized names and some do not, which annoys me as a frequent linux user. I would also personally subdivide all the client, server and shared code in their individual folders, and only have a few files that handle loading and hooks in the gamemode/ root, this gives a much better overview and prevents you from having to use cl_ sh_ sv_ etc everywhere. (Example from my own project)

I also see that DarkRP uses a ton of globals, which means that there's a lot of potential for conflicts. When you write a gamemode you should (in my opinion) always restrict as much functionality as you can to the GAMEMODE/GM tables. For example instead of the global table 'ValueCmds = {}', you should restrict this table to the gamemode by naming it 'GM.ValueCmds = {}' instead, and then call it as GAMEMODE.ValueCmds or GM.ValueCmds respectively based on whether you call it during execution or during initialization. I know that a lot of coders still like to use globals for every random thing instead of making one global table to contain it all, but in my opinion that's just bad practice which is going to cause conflicts one way or another.
    Talking about conflicts, many more things than just variables or functions need to be named better. Calling a panel 'HelpVGUI' or a clientside convar 'weaponhud' is really prone to conflict.

Now at last but not least, I don't like the idea of using hook.Add in places where you don't have to. This is because every hook means it adds an extra loop in the hooks library, which lowers performance of the entire hook system. When you code gamemodes you should use the hooks that are already existent in gamemodes, like GM:Initialize(), GM:PlayerDeath(), et cetera, and call all your other gamemode functionality from those hooks.
    The pro about naming all your functionality under the gamemode table is that calling those functions from gamemode hooks also becomes easy. E.g.
    function GM:CalculateHunger()
    	//do hunger stuff
    end

function GM:CheckPayday()
    	//money money money
    end

function GM:Think() //called every frame
    	self:CalculateHunger()
    	self:CheckPayday()
    end

And all these things are done by only one hook call, and adding more functions to these hooks is easy. It's also very easy to benchmark the performance of these functions since it's all called from a single place, so it's matter of commenting it out to disable a whole feature.

That's all I noticed so far during my 2 minutes of browsing though the code.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Lua Helper x 17Winner x 5Dumb x 3Lua King x 3Agree x 2Zing x 2Funny x 1Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    April 2011
    101 Posts
    Simski's Megaposts on what sucks and what is bad and needs to be improved on in DarkRP are on page one of this thread. Go reread them if you want to be more specific.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    13,195 Posts
    Simski's Megaposts on what sucks and what is bad and needs to be improved on in DarkRP are on page one of this thread. Go reread them if you want to be more specific.
    http://facepunch.com/threads/1164968
    http://facepunch.com/threads/1172493
    I hope it won't be too heavy on the reading, I sometimes get a bit carried away when writing

Some things I'd like to emphasize however:
    Simski posted:
    1. Remove Moneyprinters or make them significantly less convenient to use. They have become the sole focus of the game and keeps people from doing their jobs properly.
    2. Significantly balance the classes, because many of them are not useful at all and many gives you significant advantages over other players.
    I also detail many other issues as well as suggestions for solutions in the mentioned threads.
    Some of the things would require extensive coding, some things could more easily be dealt with.

Edited:

DarkRP is popular because it's a fun concept for a game, it's not as slow paced or hard to pick up as other roleplays, and players have more clear purposes of what to do in the game. It is however also popular among trolls and kids, because many of the classes can easily abused to gain unfair advantages and to grief/bully other inferior classes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

22. Post #22
    January 2006
    5,595 Posts
    Holy shit! I genuinely didn't think I would actually get valid criticism!

Thanks Simski and Maurits. I will look at your criticism when I have time! They look very promising. I probably won't remove money printers, but your point #5 looks like a good idea.

I linked to this thread in my own DarkRP issue on googlecode, so I don't lose it out of sight.

Edited:

Ok but I don't understand why don't you take criticism.
    I refuse to take invalid criticism.

Valid criticism:
    First what I'm missing is a nice structure...
    DarkRP uses a ton of globals...
    "[money printers] have become the sole focus of the game and keeps people from doing their jobs properly."
    Invalid criticism:
    "DarkRP is quite old and there's no RP in it. "

Edited:

Why don't you make things like hunger for example being on no matter what? Without hunger the chef's job is compltetely useless.
    I won't turn hungermod on by default because I know most server owners don't want that and will edit DarkRP to get rid of hungermod. It might be a better idea to disable the cook when hungermod is off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Netherlands Show Events Friendly x 6Winner x 4Agree x 4Dumb x 2Lua King x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    June 2011
    792 Posts
    Holy shit! I genuinely didn't think I would actually get valid criticism!

Thanks Simski and Maurits. I will look at your criticism when I have time! They look very promising. I probably won't remove money printers, but your point #5 looks like a good idea.

I linked to this thread in my own DarkRP issue on googlecode, so I don't lose it out of sight.

Edited:

I refuse to take invalid criticism.

Valid criticism:
    First what I'm missing is a nice structure...
    DarkRP uses a ton of globals...
    "[money printers] have become the sole focus of the game and keeps people from doing their jobs properly."
    Invalid criticism:
    "DarkRP is quite old and there's no RP in it. "

Edited:

I won't turn hungermod on by default because I know most server owners don't want that and will edit DarkRP to get rid of hungermod. It might be a better idea to disable the cook when hungermod is off.
    Well My criticism is valid, I just think you got it wrong. "DarkRP is old" means that I would like to see a change. For example the scoreboard was a great start but we need something more. It would be good if atleast some ofthe items (like cars) are stored in something like inventory so that you don't collect money for a week, buy a car and loose it , plus you loose the money. Is it clear now?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Greece Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,539 Posts
    it kinda pisses me off how if you disable your force-fed "admin mod" you don't get a scoreboard, not even the old DarkRP one which works fine and I honestly think is easier + nicer to use
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    January 2006
    5,595 Posts
    it kinda pisses me off how if you disable your force-fed "admin mod" you don't get a scoreboard, not even the old DarkRP one which works fine and I honestly think is easier + nicer to use
    Not even the old one because I don't want to ship two scoreboards with DarkRP.
    The old scoreboard lacked functionality.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,539 Posts
    Not even the old one because I don't want to ship two scoreboards with DarkRP.
    The old scoreboard lacked functionality.
    the old one lacked functionality with the admin mod you force-feed us*
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    January 2006
    5,595 Posts
    the old one lacked functionality with the admin mod you force-feed us*
    It lacked full size avatars, DarkRP actions, information, server information and settings. It was hard to add buttons or information to it, it felt like and it actually was an edited version of the sandbox scoreboard, the code was terrible and mostly copied from sandbox.

My primary reason for making fadmin in the first place was to replace the old scoreboard. FAdmin was made for DarkRP, it's not some admin mod that I made earlier and decided to force feed upon DarkRP users.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Informative Informative x 3Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    January 2006
    5,595 Posts
    Based on Maurits' tips I'm restructuring DarkRP.

Edit:
    I've written some code to figure out what DarkRP's global variables are.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7Lua King Lua King x 7Artistic Artistic x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    January 2006
    5,595 Posts
    This is it serverside:
    http://pastebin.com/v0ejLdjq
    I thought the posts would merge.

Anyway the point is that I can indeed clean some up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

30. Post #30
    Glod Menber
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,249 Posts
    a wild triple post has appeared

but I only hope that there is a more diverse range of gamemodes once GMod 13 is live. I see what you mean, fp, but darkrp is just overpopulated.

maybe if there were like, 5 servers max, then I'd be fine (although I still hate DarkRP)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Zing Zing x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    January 2006
    5,595 Posts
    darkrp is just overpopulated.
    I've never heard anyone say that about sandbox, and sandbox has always been more popular than DarkRP. There are plenty other gamemodes, especially with fretta gamemodes.

Besides, I'm not going to tell people to stop using DarkRP because it's so popular. DarkRP being popular is not a problem I would want to fix.

EDIT:
    I've cleaned up the serverside globals (I've yet to do the clientside ones)
    Before:
    (CUR isn't in this paste, but it already did exist)

After:
    http://pastebin.com/qt31SVir

EDIT:
    Now done with the clientside variables:

BEFORE:
    http://pastebin.com/YCeuAdTM

AFTER:
    http://pastebin.com/7JSyk3t7
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Lua King Lua King x 10Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,539 Posts
    I really think it's over-populated because you make it WAY too easy for people to start up a server, and therefor any 12 year old with an allowance will do such.

I mean, sure, there should be an easy way to add things, just not 1 line functions to make every single server generic
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    January 2006
    5,595 Posts
    I really think it's over-populated because you make it WAY too easy for people to start up a server, and therefore any 12 year old with an allowance will do such.

I mean, sure, there should be an easy way to add things, just not 1 line functions to make every single server generic
    So you're saying it should be easy to add things, but not too easy, because if it's too easy the twelve-year-olds will be able to set up a server?

Come on, are you honestly criticizing me for making it too easy to set things up? The servers aren't that generic anyway. Most servers have unique sets of jobs, shipments and addons running. You'd have to consider the whole customization of these three things as generic in order to call DarkRP servers generic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 12Disagree Disagree x 4Winner Winner x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    June 2011
    792 Posts
    I've never heard anyone say that about sandbox, and sandbox has always been more popular than DarkRP. There are plenty other gamemodes, especially with fretta gamemodes.

Besides, I'm not going to tell people to stop using DarkRP because it's so popular. DarkRP being popular is not a problem I would want to fix.

EDIT:
    I've cleaned up the serverside globals (I've yet to do the clientside ones)
    Before:
    (CUR isn't in this paste, but it already did exist)

After:
    http://pastebin.com/qt31SVir

EDIT:
    Now done with the clientside variables:

BEFORE:
    http://pastebin.com/YCeuAdTM

AFTER:
    http://pastebin.com/7JSyk3t7
    Sandbox has to be popular because gmod is a sandbox game not DarkRP game so I agree with Banana Lord on this one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Greece Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts
    Sandbox has to be popular because gmod is a sandbox game not DarkRP game so I agree with Banana Lord on this one.
    DarkRP has sandbox elements as well. A gamemode shouldn't be harder just to avoid 12 year olds can't make a server. If you don't want to play on a 12 year old's DarkRP, then don't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Winner Winner x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,539 Posts
    So you're saying it should be easy to add things, but not too easy, because if it's too easy the twelve-year-olds will be able to set up a server?

Come on, are you honestly criticizing me for making it too easy to set things up? The servers aren't that generic anyway. Most servers have unique sets of jobs, shipments and addons running. You'd have to consider the whole customization of these three things as generic in order to call DarkRP servers generic.
    I'd say there's a good chance 2/3 of the DarkRP servers use the game gun pack with similar prices and similar jobs with of course, DurgzMod. Everything is extremely generic and you made the base of the gamemode extremely simple to minge/fuck up others gameplay with (literally join, /gundealer, buy a gun, and shoot everyone).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Lua Helper Lua Helper x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    December 2011
    1,134 Posts
    I'd say there's a good chance 2/3 of the DarkRP servers use the game gun pack with similar prices and similar jobs with of course, DurgzMod. Everything is extremely generic and you made the base of the gamemode extremely simple to minge/fuck up others gameplay with (literally join, /gundealer, buy a gun, and shoot everyone).
    So why not doing a system to prevent this? Like you have to play as citizen for 2h to get gundealer. Or what's with systems to stop unrp pple, like useless shooting with glock as police gives you something like a -1 point. 1 ooc message per 1min, ... My Ideas are crap, just bring back RP into DarkRp. It's impossible to let the players do that, thats why we have so much problems with darkrp so use other forces to bring rp back.

Sorry for bad english ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

38. Post #38
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts
    So why not doing a system to prevent this? Like you have to play as citizen for 2h to get gundealer. Or what's with systems to stop unrp pple, like useless shooting with glock as police gives you something like a -1 point. 1 ooc message per 1min, ... My Ideas are crap, just bring back RP into DarkRp. It's impossible to let the players do that, thats why we have so much problems with darkrp so use other forces to bring rp back.

Sorry for bad english ;)
    Don't limit people with RP. RP should be open. The problem is with people, not the gamemode, and with strong administration, you can make a good DarkRP server.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    December 2011
    1,134 Posts
    Don't limit people with RP. RP should be open. The problem is with people, not the gamemode, and with strong administration, you can make a good DarkRP server.
    "It's impossible to let the players do that, thats why we have so much problems with darkrp"
    Exactly what I said.

Yeah the idea with the administration is better than mine.^^ But try to get 10 24/7 hardcore rp Admins...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts
    "It's impossible to let the players do that, thats why we have so much problems with darkrp"
    Exactly what I said.
    No, I said "It's stupid to limit people to what they can roleplay. Let it be open, and administrate well."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events