1. Post #1
    January 2010
    560 Posts
    Hey guys, this is a place for people who DJ as a hobby, club resident or mobile DJ.

Post tricks and tutorials in here that you want to share, or share your mixes and post photos of your setup and or gigs!

Obligatory Instagram Photo (only one I have).

Pioneer DDJ-T1 with Traktor, Pioneer Headphones (can't remember model), and also a CDJ 850 Setup with a DJM-T1 Mixer.

2. Post #2
    GOLF WANG
    August 2006
    7,593 Posts
    Look at all of them smiling clubbers

GG

3. Post #3
    January 2010
    284 Posts
    Anyone hear of DJ lucid?
    http://soundcloud.com/aluciddream
    He is a great DJ!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    January 2011
    178 Posts
    sup, anyone got a good tutorial on phrase matching?

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    364 Posts
    Doing my first live set in a few months, any advice?

6. Post #6
    August 2008
    148 Posts
    Don't get caught up on the "effects" in your mixes; Focus on smooth transitions while not losing tempo. The biggest mistake I see new DJ's making, is getting super focused on "LOL DELAY DROP", and they can't mix to save their fucking lives.

No one at the club/venue is gonna say "THAT FUCKING FLANGER WAS ILL". But they WILL tell you when you can't mix two songs seamlessly.

Effects and Jamaican air-horns are for DJ's who aren't really with the shit. Show up, play music, and respect what DJ'ing is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

7. Post #7
    January 2010
    560 Posts
    sup, anyone got a good tutorial on phrase matching?
    If you can beat match then you can phrase match. A simple phrase match could be the outro into an intro of a track, or start an intro of a track on the drop of the other track. Basically you want to allow the transition between the tracks to be done without breaking the musical structure. I'll try get an example for you.

What okeffe415 said, don't over-do your effects. A simple flanger on a build will do, but if you can't beat match two songs without the aid of an effect - then you need to learn. Also, I have some some DJs (and I work with a few) who over use gater and phaser effects in the middle of a track - it's just plain annoying, don't do it.

Took my equipment to the club the other day - hooked up a CDJ to it via aux input.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    January 2011
    178 Posts
    yeah i can beatmatch just fine but I often don't know when to mix. I'd be very grateful for an example

9. Post #9
    August 2008
    148 Posts
    It depends on what you're spinning.

Anytime I spin house, I usually wait until a breakdown of some sort after the 2:00~2:30 mark before I start a mix. How long the mix itself lasts is dependent on how much "chatter" is going on. If the music is busy, I usually transition in 5-10 seconds.

For Rap, it's a lot harder. There's always going to be lyrics, you can't count on a reliable into/outro/breakdown to mix, and you can't mix the same way every time (gotta keep it fresh in some aspect).

Again, SOOOOOOOooooo many DJ's are worried about bullshit FX's and filters, and they can't actually MIX. Learn to take 2 records, and seamlessly transition first. And don't just practice until you get 50% accurate, 75% accurate, or even 90% accurate. REAL DJ'S CAN MIX TWO RECORDS 99.999% OF THE TIME.

Also, don't forget to cue. All these new "beats-by-dre DJ's" aren't taking time to listen and make sure what they are about to play will work. Patience will reward you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,405 Posts
    http://i.imgur.com/PILWK.jpg
    Only one turntable right now, though. Stanton T.62 and a Numark M1 mixer.

Edit: Took out img tags, fuck that's big

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    1,499 Posts
    Noobish question but is there anyway to automatically loop part of a song in traktor when it gets passed a cue point, say a song hits the chorus but I don't want it to go to the next verse but I'm busy trying to get another song on the other deck. Can I set up something like that?

12. Post #12
    Planning trying to start for a few months now. Right now I've got a Gemini TT-02 and a Behringer VMX 100. I plan to get a new pair of turntables but I can't seem to find any decent pair of direct drive turntables for $450.

13. Post #13
    August 2008
    148 Posts
    My newest setup. This will be for gigs only.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    r. panda is a racist and ibuwebu is mai waifu
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    hi plz hire me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    412 Posts
    Well I sometimes DJ at local partys and now became obsessed with mashups

Here one of my recent ones :D

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    July 2009
    1,245 Posts
    I wuv my Pioneer 350, upgrading to a 2000 / 900 Nexus when I win the lottery.

I run a mobile disco with a friend too- this pic is like 4 months old now.

17. Post #17
    January 2010
    560 Posts

Nice setup! How much did that cost all together? I am also gonna upgrade to a 900 + Nexus setup when I have the money.

Also, a new mix I did today. Click here to listen

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    1,499 Posts
    What's some good sites you guys get your music and mixes from?

19. Post #19
    May 2007
    929 Posts
    What's some good sites you guys get your music and mixes from?
    Soundcloud

20. Post #20
    diaoyudao shi ZHONGGUO de
    December 2007
    4,040 Posts
    Soundcloud and Beatport. If you can't afford Beatport, iTunes often has the same stuff but at 192 kbps.

My utterly shit setup - Traktor 2 Pro, which I got as a present, and a Hercules DJ MK4, which I got for $100 off ebay. I managed to scrounge up enough for a Kontrol S2 though, waiting for it in the mail and then I plan on never using the MK4 again.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    2,718 Posts
    I'm really interested in DJing and was wondering if anybody knows if these are any good for noobs

22. Post #22
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,793 Posts

Have you and your friend ever experimented with centre-clustering the subs? You can get more even coverage of the lower frequencies in some situations. Experimentation is always fun :D

Obviously you'd need to put the other speakers onto stands.

23. Post #23
    someone teach me how to dj
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,228 Posts
    its piss easy to dj; especially with dubstep or house which both have very distinct and similar drum patterns in their respective genre's songs. you dont really need to be taught unless u wanna do some kinda aphex twin amon tobin live show
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

25. Post #25
    January 2012
    480 Posts
    its piss easy to dj; especially with dubstep or house which both have very distinct and similar drum patterns in their respective genre's songs. you dont really need to be taught unless u wanna do some kinda aphex twin amon tobin live show
    I've been spending 5 minutes trying to find that "the soup" clip where he makes fun of a "DJ" from some live event where the camera goes to the dj and all he does is press space on his laptop. No luck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,228 Posts
    oh damn i wasnt even referring to laptop djing. unless you're putting on some sick ass live show with launchpads, mpcs and a fuckton of effects/instruments you have no excuse to use a laptop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    January 2010
    560 Posts
    I personally find laptop DJing (with a controller) much better to use then a standard CDJ/Vinyl Setup, purely because of fileserving and searching, and that I don't have to prepare USBs for shows.

Recorded part of my set last night (never doing it again while high).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    December 2007
    4,040 Posts
    How to DJ
    1) get music
    2) play music

Where to find music
    http://soundcloud.com
    http://beatport.com

To get started digital DJing with more than iTunes, just download Virtual DJ Home (free) - http://www.virtualdj.com/products/homefree.html

Some sites with tutorials -
    http://djtechtools.com
    http://digitaldjtips.com

To get started with analog DJing, it's going to cost you a lot of money, typically $1k+ - I have no experience with it so I can't say anything about it.

YouTube tutorials are finicky. ellaskins is pretty good most of the time, but the best teacher is practice.

Mixer/turntables/cdj/controller in a nutshell

On the mixer/controller, the horizontal fader closest to you is the crossfader. This lowers the output of one channel and brings up the output of the other allowing a smooth transition between the two. If beats are off, you'll hear galloping drums (named because they sound like a horse) when fading between the two. That's why you sync or beatmatch.

Right above that are channel faders, which are individual faders for either channel and could technically be used to totally replace the crossfader. They're not supposed to be volume controls.

Above that are your EQs which basically control the individual levels of lows (bass), mids, and highs (treble). EQs should be used when mixing. You also often have a gain control, which IS supposed to be a volume control and just boosts or lowers the output volume of each channel.

On the far left and right of the controller, or on either cdj/turntable is the tempo control. This adjusts the BPMs of the track and is used in beatmatching, or rarely, in effects. Typically, controllers don't really need them, seeing as the majority of digital DJs use sync.

Jogwheels are on controllers - they're the big things - and they're used to speed up or slow down tempo, temporarily and are used in beatmatching.
    On CDJs and vinyl, the big things are the platter and is used in beatmatching and scratching and shit like that. I have no experience using it so I don't know all the uses of them.

You also have standard play buttons and shit like that.

For a controller, the setup works as a USB cable to your computer, and audio out. For analog DJing, you have a mixer which is connected to 2+ turntables or CDJs, and audio out. Controllers are basically turntables/CDJs rolled into one device.

Those are really the basic components of the devices used in DJing.

Edited:

I'm really interested in DJing and was wondering if anybody knows if these are any good for noobs
    I'd suggest against it - it looks like a piece of shite and you'll regret buying it. Just save up for a while and buy a VCI100 or Kontrol S2. Be patient - you can use your keyboard for digital DJing easily. Plus, if you can DJ with just a keyboard, people are instantly impressed and if your gear fails for any reason you can just default back and use a USB soundcard or something.

http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2011/04...just-a-laptop/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    March 2010
    690 Posts
    Made this mix today, some minimal house music.
    Mix isn't quite perfect, I think the last 15 minutes or so have some unmatching beats but eh, your average listener won't even notice.

By the way, I can't really afford any hardware so I'm sticking to keyboard and mouse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    December 2007
    4,040 Posts
    By the way, I can't really afford any hardware so I'm sticking to keyboard and mouse.
    You're doing pretty amazing with just a computer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    May 2007
    297 Posts
    my soundcloud:
    http://soundcloud.com/rick258
    & my FB fanpage :) :
    https://www.facebook.com/RickRaveMusic

Equipment:
    Reloop RMX-30 Blackfire Edition
    2x Reloop RP-2000 MK2 Silver
    Hercules DJ Control MP3 e2

old pic (june 2010)

and since april 2012 the Pioneer DDJ-Ergo:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    December 2007
    4,040 Posts
    How are you liking the Ergo? I saw a review for it once but just thought it looked too much like a toy - does it work well? Any complaints?

33. Post #33
    August 2008
    148 Posts
    If anyone has any questions about more advanced DJ'ing techniques, such as scratching, trick mixing, etc., let me know. I'll do some short tutorial videos.

34. Post #34
    Been having a dilemma lately. Either to sell my turntables for a digital DJ setup.

Or expand and get a time coded setup.

I'm just a home hobbyist but can't hurt to dream big right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    January 2012
    46 Posts
    I've had my Numark Mixdeck for awhile. And I can't seem to find a program that works well with it. Everyone says Tracktor 2. But when I try to scratch or search to a certain part it always glides past. And my levels are always way to high. Can anyone give me a rough idea what I'm doing wrong?
    I use to use VDj and it didn't work well with my Mixdeck

36. Post #36
    December 2007
    4,040 Posts
    Are you using TSP2 or just TP2?
    Turn down your gain?

37. Post #37
    January 2012
    46 Posts
    Are you using TSP2 or just TP2?
    Turn down your gain?
    TP2
    And even turning down my gain on my controller and my main recording gain doesn't seem to help.

38. Post #38
    December 2007
    4,040 Posts
    Traktor Pro 2 doesn't have scratch support as far as I know - only jogwheels. You'll have to upgrade to Traktor Scratch Pro 2 to get support for it.

As for your levels I have no idea.

39. Post #39
    January 2012
    46 Posts
    Traktor Pro 2 doesn't have scratch support as far as I know - only jogwheels. You'll have to upgrade to Traktor Scratch Pro 2 to get support for it.

As for your levels I have no idea.
    Okay, well thanks. I think I'll just have to crank all the levels down. Maybe that'll work.

40. Post #40
    August 2008
    148 Posts
    Been having a dilemma lately. Either to sell my turntables for a digital DJ setup.

Or expand and get a time coded setup.

I'm just a home hobbyist but can't hurt to dream big right?
    Get Serato.

Keep your turntables and get a used SL1/2. If you get rid of your gear, you'll regret it later.

Getting comfortable with Serato, and having your own vinyl/cd's with the interface means you can literally DJ anywhere. EVERY club I've spun at that already has a digital system in place, is Serato based. Whether it's the SL1/2/3/4, 57SL mixer, or the Sity-one/two; If they have a setup in place, it's going to be Serato.

The benefit of owning the box, and keeping your gear, is you can go to ANY CLUB ANYWHERE and DJ. The club has shit or no turntables, no problem, bring yours. The club doesn't have a Serato interface, no problem, bring yours. The club uses Traktor (Finalscratch, etc.), no problem, bring your interface.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)