1. Post #161
    diaoyudao shi ZHONGGUO de
    December 2007
    4,054 Posts
    Woo, just got my first actual gig at a 100-person house party
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

2. Post #162
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    1,499 Posts
    Woo, just got my first actual gig at a 100-person house party
    I love doing house parties since there's next to no pressure at all, but so many people ask for requests compared to clubs. You also get the weirdest requests, I spent a night mixing house, hip-hop and top 40s and some drunk guy asks every 3 songs can I play some Mastodon, I threw on some Andrew W.K. to shut him up and told him it was Mastodon, he never noticed and started head banging instead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Ireland Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

3. Post #163
    December 2007
    4,054 Posts
    I asked for requests in advance on the facebook page and all I got was a buttload of hip hop and the problem is that I've never mixed hip hop before.

Oh well, good time to learn I guess. It's not for two weeks and a bit but at least that gives me time to practice.

4. Post #164
    August 2008
    148 Posts
    Mixing hip-hop is a lot harder than people think. Here's my rule of thumb:

Play a song for 2 verses (or until the 2nd chorus). Since 99% of rap chorus's are 8 bars long, and most intros are either 4 or 8 bars long, I'll work the mix around that point. Drop the lows from the song currently playing when you introduce the new song so it's not a clusterfuck. You should be 100% done with the mix once the chorus from the old song ends, allowing the music to seamlessly transfer.

5. Post #165
    December 2007
    4,054 Posts
    Thanks for the tip!

6. Post #166
    May 2011
    450 Posts
    I almost bought an F1 but decided to hold off and get an X1 instead.

Also, DJ Techtools just came out with a Midi Fighter 3D hack, and are working on hacks for the Pro and Classic as well as other controllers. NI is going to update to provide full support sometime in the next few months (?). Personally I'm going to wait until DJTT comes out with a Trigger Finger-compatible hack or NI updates.
    How is that funny

7. Post #167
    December 2007
    4,054 Posts
    I'm going to wait until DJTT comes out with a Trigger Finger-compatible hack

8. Post #168
    May 2011
    450 Posts
    IF they come out with one that supports all MIDI devices I mean. I just said trigger finger because that's what I happen to have.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #169
    January 2010
    560 Posts
    I'm gonna start posting some gig logs, just to keep some people here interested!

Last night was a fairly chilled night, wasn't as busy as it has been (probably due to our shitty, cold weather). Started at 9pm, finishing at 12.30, then heading to a bush doof for another gig which went from 1am to 3.30am (didn't take any photos though, I was too busy trying to keep warm and mix at the same time)

Last Saturday night was a fuckin' blast!

Disseminate: Let us know how it went! :)

Also, I made a .rar file of mashups I have created, I hope you guys enjoy!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #170
    December 2007
    4,054 Posts
    Where do you DJ?

Also, my gig's in 12 days. The guestlist went from 100 people to 160 people over the course of three days, which doesn't include +1s. I'm a bit nervous about police because of the horror stories of laptop/equipment confiscation, not to mention that I'm from Canada and don't have a $350 AVLA license.

AVLA is ridiculous. Not only do I have that massive yearly charge, but I can't use iTunes for any reason and need to bring said license to everywhere I DJ except for places that already have the license (ie. clubs, bars). As a matter of fact, technically anyone playing music from their iPod at a house party needs this license for it to be legal.

I'm not sure what the legal repercussions are if they take my laptop and find out that I'm not licensed. With any luck, the neighbours are all sound sleepers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #171
    January 2010
    560 Posts
    Where do you DJ?

Also, my gig's in 12 days. The guestlist went from 100 people to 160 people over the course of three days, which doesn't include +1s. I'm a bit nervous about police because of the horror stories of laptop/equipment confiscation, not to mention that I'm from Canada and don't have a $350 AVLA license.

AVLA is ridiculous. Not only do I have that massive yearly charge, but I can't use iTunes for any reason and need to bring said license to everywhere I DJ except for places that already have the license (ie. clubs, bars). As a matter of fact, technically anyone playing music from their iPod at a house party needs this license for it to be legal.

I'm not sure what the legal repercussions are if they take my laptop and find out that I'm not licensed. With any luck, the neighbours are all sound sleepers.
    I have residency at a nightclub in my home town, and I play around other places as well for school formals, weddings etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about equipment confiscation - unless you continue to play at loud volumes when the police told you to stop, and how often is AVLA enforced? We have a similar thing here in Australia, known as APRA.

12. Post #172
    December 2007
    4,054 Posts
    Yeah, I'm probably overthinking it, it'd probably only be enforced during raves and other huge illegal parties. Like I said, two weeks 'till it happens but I'll be taking a camera and whatnot.

13. Post #173
    August 2008
    148 Posts
    I've never once DJ'd with a permit. Is that just a Canadian law?

14. Post #174
    December 2007
    4,054 Posts
    Yep.

Doesn't matter now though because for some odd reason the host moved the party out of his house and into the buggy forest down the street and still expects me to DJ without speakers (??) where I'd be eaten alive by mosquitoes if I don't wear irritating bug spray, not to mention the lack of light (it's a forest at night).

Guess it's back to the bedroom for me for the next few months
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #175
    January 2010
    560 Posts
    Yep.

Doesn't matter now though because for some odd reason the host moved the party out of his house and into the buggy forest down the street and still expects me to DJ without speakers (??) where I'd be eaten alive by mosquitoes if I don't wear irritating bug spray, not to mention the lack of light (it's a forest at night).

Guess it's back to the bedroom for me for the next few months
    Really? That sucks.

I'm in a DJ Competition tomorrow night, and decided to create 4 mashups (I'll post two here, for you guys!) It's a 30 minute set, judged based on song choice, mixing and crowd reaction. The prize is fortnightly gigs for Uni Nights :D

The first mashup is here: No Beef For The Epic Motherfucker

The second one is located on my soundcloud.

Also, Could guys help me out by liking my facebook fanpage?

16. Post #176
    December 2007
    4,054 Posts
    How'd it go?

17. Post #177
    January 2010
    560 Posts
    Still waiting on an announcement - but I talked to the Judges and some people in the crowd afterwards, they enjoyed my set a lot, so I do think I have a good chance at winning.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #178
    August 2010
    564 Posts
    good luck to ya wablur, your mixes sound good to me.

also, quick general question
    anyone have an opinion on the novation twitch?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #179
    May 2011
    450 Posts
    I've heard it's great if you plan to use Serato. It has rotary tempo controls which are odd but might make more sense to some people. The biggest complaint I've heard is that the headphone output is on the quiet side. If you're using it with traktor you might have to get creative with the mapping.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #180
    January 2010
    560 Posts
    I did two mashups - I don't know which I prefer

There's this one, which contains:

Lil Jon - Get Low
    LMFAO - Champagne Showers
    LMFAO - Party Rock Anthem
    Taio Cruz - Hangover
    Pitbull - Give Me Everything ft. Ne-Yo, Afrojack, Nayer
    The Bloody Betroots - Warp 1.9

And other other, which is just Get Low & Champagne Showers

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

21. Post #181
    December 2007
    4,054 Posts
    Jesus dongs.

My mom works as an admin assistant to the head radiologist at the local university. Apparently, the head radiologist has kids that don't share her last name, and I went to high school with the younger sister.

And apparently, the older brother's a DJ who has a residency at a club in my city.

Naturally it trickled down that I'm a bedroom DJ to the older brother, and he told his mom to tell my mom to tell me that he wants to see my mixes. I tossed him my soundcloud, and I just got an email back from him asking me for my number so we can arrange a sit-down meeting.

I checked the company in his signature and apparently he also works for a promotional/booking company for the region of Canada I live in.

Oh man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

22. Post #182
    GAYLORD
    Wikipedia Vandilisation Contest Winner
    June 2005
    14,823 Posts
    house mix by me

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

23. Post #183
    May 2011
    450 Posts
    I'm working on a big mix in Ableton and an original production with Reason. Right now in Ableton I need to figure out a better way of handling bank changes on the trigger finger because right now I have something like 50-60 clips I'm using which vary in size from entire parts of songs to single drum hits. I think I'll set it up so that the last clip in a particular bank is longer than the others or I might just sequence it.

24. Post #184
    December 2007
    4,054 Posts

Oh fuck yes

Edit - I'm a bit nervous about jumping in like this, I'm not sure I have enough of a library and have no top40 stuff which is what the patrons of a bar want to hear usually fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

25. Post #185
    August 2008
    148 Posts
    When you sort things out, like what you're spinning, let me know. I can help you out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #186
    Just got a new place (my first place on my own) and was finally able to stick my decks in the living room so I can have them hooked up all the time and hopefully start playing with them more often.

I used to have to move all the shit off my studio desk so I had room to set them up. I'm stoked.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

27. Post #187
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,603 Posts
    Just saw this thread, my setup is:

Technics 1200 mk2 & Technics 1210 mk2 (same thing just different color)
    Allen & Heath Xone:42 mixer
    Sennheiser HD-25II Headphones
    Traktor Scratch Duo 2

was quite expensive but i'm sure this'll last me forever... it's all i ever need.

I don't play out yet but i've been offered it before actually, but i feel that my mixing isn't that great yet.
    Hopefully once i get a few tunes signed i might get some bookings out of it :D but that's in the long term ofcourse.

got a few mixes up on my soundcloud here is my most recent one:
    http://soundcloud.com/vanardnb/vanar-liquid-drum-and-bass-mix
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Belgium Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #188
    May 2011
    450 Posts
    How do you like the HD25s? Isolation, sound quality etc. I need a new pair.

29. Post #189
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,603 Posts
    How do you like the HD25s? Isolation, sound quality etc. I need a new pair.
    Really good. seriously the best DJ headphones for that price range (got them for 150 with 1,5 meter normal cable).

but i heard good things about http://www.aiaiai.dk/store/headphones/tma-1 too. but they are 50 euros more.

Edited:

and yeah the isolation and sound quality are amazing!

30. Post #190
    May 2011
    450 Posts
    Yeah I've seen a lot of people with 25s and you see a lot of sports commentators and such with them too, i guess because of the isolation. IN RELATED NEWS I'm getting a Kontrol X1 for Ableton and Traktor soon and possibly a Lauchpad later on. I think I might switch to Ableton but I'll have to test how well it works with the X1 plus the TF because eight knobs isn't enough for me.

31. Post #191
    January 2010
    560 Posts
    Well, I didn't want the comp I was in, but it was most likely biased as most of the contestants new the judges well, so it was a bit unfair!

Also recorded a new mix, and it's my best one yet! Click here to listen!

Afrojack - Rock the House (Dirty Dutch Visionaire Remix)
    Felix Cartal feat. Miss Palmer - Black To White (Clockwork Remix)
    Timmy Trumpet & Chardy - Sassafras (Original Mix)
    Dev Feat. Timbaland - Don't Hurt It (Tut Tut Child Remix)
    Hardwell & Showtek - How We Do (Original Mix)
    Cratesz - Shotgun (Deorro Remix)
    Zedd vs Afrojack - Lionheart Comes Out (Hardwell MashUp)
    Axwell, Angello, Ingrosso & Laidback Luke vs Afrojack & Steve Aoki - Beef The World Behind (Hardwell MashUp)
    Laidback Luke & Sander van Doorn vs Michael Woods - Who's Wearing The Cap The Last Day On Earth (Hardwell MashUp)
    Pendulum vs Alex Kunnari & Tom Fall - Lost The Island (Hardwell MashUp)
    Dada Life, Hardwell ft. Taio Cruz - Avicii's Epic Hangover (Kap Slap Bootleg)
    TONIC ft Tarantula Man - Big Fat with Cataracts - Like a G6 (Oh Snap! Mash)
    Frida Gold - Zeig Mir Wie Du Tanzt (Skrillex Remix Oh Snap! Mix Edit)
    Cedric Gervais - Molly (Dirty Dutch Visionaire Remix)
    Chuckie - Mutfuka (Oh Snap! Mix Edit)
    Pursuit of Happiness (Steve Aoki Remix)
    360 - Killer (Joel Fletcher Bootleg)
    TON!C - Get Up (Original Mix)
    Nari & Milani - Atom (Original Mix)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #192
    looking rad, feeling sad
    April 2011
    4,402 Posts
    I just did a new mix. It's pretty short but I wanted to throw something out there because I haven't done one in a while. Hope you like it.

01. Todd Terje - Inspector Norse [Smalltown Supersound]
    02. Hot Since 82 - Knee Deep In Louise [Moda Black]
    03. Disclosure - Lividup [Greco-Roman]
    04. Moon Boots - Aretha (Kid Color Remix) [Nurvous]
    05. White Lies - Farewell To The Fairground (Rory Phillips Remix) [Polydor]
    06. James Welsh - Born & Raised [No Label]
    07. Drop Out City Rockers - International Track [Drop Out]
    08. Discosocks - Slap My Bass Up [Woot]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #193
    December 2007
    4,054 Posts
    I AM SO BONERED
    I AM LITERALLY THE MOST BONERED EVER

IM EATING JAPANESE FOOD FOR LUNCH AT A DELICIOUS RESTAURANT AND I GET A TEXT

I HAVE THE OPENING SET AT THE CLASSIEST NIGHTCLUB IN MY CITY IF I CAN BRING 5 FRIENDS BY 9PM

OPENING SET

I HAVENT EVEN PRACTISED IN A WEEK
    I AM NOT PREPARED FOR THIS

I DOTN EVEN HAVE 5 FRIENDS THAT WOULD WANT TO GO CLUBBING THIS IS WHAT I GET FOR BEING A PHYSICS MAJOR

GOD

DAAAAAAMN

I DONT EVEN HAVE PROPER HEADPHONES HOW THE FUCK AM I GOING TO DO THIS WITH EARBUDS

IVE NEVER EVEN BEEN TO THE VENUE IM GODDAMN 18 YEARS OLD BECAUSE OF GODDAMN SHITTY ASS DRINKING LAWS IN CANADA

the level of BONERED i am is UNSURPASSED

i am going to be a poo smear

34. Post #194
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,258 Posts
    I just did a new mix. It's pretty short but I wanted to throw something out there because I haven't done one in a while. Hope you like it.

01. Todd Terje - Inspector Norse [Smalltown Supersound]
    02. Hot Since 82 - Knee Deep In Louise [Moda Black]
    03. Disclosure - Lividup [Greco-Roman]
    04. Moon Boots - Aretha (Kid Color Remix) [Nurvous]
    05. White Lies - Farewell To The Fairground (Rory Phillips Remix) [Polydor]
    06. James Welsh - Born & Raised [No Label]
    07. Drop Out City Rockers - International Track [Drop Out]
    08. Discosocks - Slap My Bass Up [Woot]
    the amount of times i've heard inspector norse and it still doesn't grow old on me. huh

35. Post #195
    August 2008
    148 Posts
    I AM SO BONERED
    I AM LITERALLY THE MOST BONERED EVER

IM EATING JAPANESE FOOD FOR LUNCH AT A DELICIOUS RESTAURANT AND I GET A TEXT

I HAVE THE OPENING SET AT THE CLASSIEST NIGHTCLUB IN MY CITY IF I CAN BRING 5 FRIENDS BY 9PM

OPENING SET

I HAVENT EVEN PRACTISED IN A WEEK
    I AM NOT PREPARED FOR THIS

I DOTN EVEN HAVE 5 FRIENDS THAT WOULD WANT TO GO CLUBBING THIS IS WHAT I GET FOR BEING A PHYSICS MAJOR

GOD

DAAAAAAMN

I DONT EVEN HAVE PROPER HEADPHONES HOW THE FUCK AM I GOING TO DO THIS WITH EARBUDS

IVE NEVER EVEN BEEN TO THE VENUE IM GODDAMN 18 YEARS OLD BECAUSE OF GODDAMN SHITTY ASS DRINKING LAWS IN CANADA

the level of BONERED i am is UNSURPASSED

i am going to be a poo smear
    I remember freaking out about shows too.

36. Post #196
    December 2007
    4,054 Posts
    I'm there right now behind the decks. There are 0.0 people here.

just my luck

Edited:

I remember freaking out about shows too.
    I wasn't freaking out about the show per se but rather that
    - I was opening and don't have enough tracks to do a solid opener
    - My headphones are currently out of commission
    - The promoter texted me at 3 to meet him at 5:30
    - The promoter wanted me to bring 10 friends (I don't have any friends who go clubbing, let alone drinking-age friends)

It worked out but nobody came out. I guess it's because it's a thursday night but seriously it seems weird that zero people came.

Either way, I think I'm in for DJing during the school year.

37. Post #197
    August 2008
    148 Posts
    I'm there right now behind the decks. There are 0.0 people here.

just my luck

Edited:

I wasn't freaking out about the show per se but rather that
    - I was opening and don't have enough tracks to do a solid opener
    - My headphones are currently out of commission
    - The promoter texted me at 3 to meet him at 5:30
    - The promoter wanted me to bring 10 friends (I don't have any friends who go clubbing, let alone drinking-age friends)

It worked out but nobody came out. I guess it's because it's a thursday night but seriously it seems weird that zero people came.

Either way, I think I'm in for DJing during the school year.
    I'm only giving you a hard time, don't worry :).

38. Post #198
    December 2007
    4,054 Posts
    Actually, speaking of which, does anyone know where to find non-bangers that I can use in an opening set that aren't absolutely terrible?

39. Post #199
    May 2011
    450 Posts
    I've got a chance at an hour-long spot at a small Burning Man festival in Santa Cruz at the end of September. I went two years ago, there were big crowds at all three stages pretty much the whole night. This year they moved it into an indoor venue and I think they only have two stages now. I just need to send a mix or two in (and come up with a name) and we'll see where it goes. Even if I don't get it I might still land next year's (smaller) one in monterey.

Edited:

Longest mix I've ever done was half an hour. this should be fun. Not sure if I'm going to use Traktor or Ableton, it doesn't matter since I'd be allowed to bring whatever I wanted as long as there's room.

40. Post #200
    Actually, speaking of which, does anyone know where to find non-bangers that I can use in an opening set that aren't absolutely terrible?
    Genre?