1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    14,747 Posts
    Each year we try and grow our own hot peppers in our garden. It's pretty much a tradition now. Last year, we grew Jalapeņos and Hot Cherry Peppers, like we do each year, but we also tried growing Habeneros and hot Banana Peppers. Unfortunately, the two didn't go as well as we had hoped, so we scratched the idea of trying again. This time, after our nice encounter with Thai Chili Peppers, we decided to try and grow Red Chili Peppers, the closest thing they had to the Thai's at Home Depot.

We picked up eight pots of Jalapeņo's, each containing four plants, making a total of 32 Jalapeņo plants. We bought them all for only $14, which seemed like an amazing bargain. We then picked up 6 pots of Red Hot Cherry Peppers (they didn't have the cheaper, non-biodegradable pots) and two pots of Red Chili Peppers. They only came with one plant, and we got the eight for about double what we payed for the Jalapeņo's. We got our potting soil and headed out.

Here they all are together, still in the little containers.

Artistic leaf picture with water droplet.

A closer look at the Jalapeņo's.

A close look at the Red Chili Peppers and the Red Cherry's. You can probably tell the difference between the two in the front (Chilli Peppers) and the 6 behind them (Cherry Peppers)

A close up of the tag, brought to you by Bonnie peppers!

I'll update this thread again Saturday/Sunday when we actually put them in the ground. The weather proves to be nicer that day so that's when we'll plant them. After that, I'll update probably once or twice a week, depending on how they're doing, up until harvest time, and of course, close up's of the peppers prior to being consumed with a nice sandwich, both whole and cut up into it's juicy spiceyness.

Lastly, any pepper growing tips are greatly appreciated! I'm still fairly new at growing my own plants, so any small tid-bits are welcome. Pictures are also huge, tips on how to fix them are also appreciated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,012 Posts
    Can't you img_thumb the pictures? Or does that not work anymore

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    14,747 Posts
    There. Got it, thanks!

4. Post #4
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    13,017 Posts
    Last season I grew: Jalapenos, Habaneros, Bhut Jolokias, Serrano, and some other less spicy peppers. I had so many peppers I didn't know what to do with them. They were that same brand, too. If you get them in the ground/pots soon and water them often they should do fine. Where do you live?/What kind of climate? I hear the more humid the area, the hotter the peppers will be.

The only one that didn't grow successfully was the Bhut Jolokia because I had to get it off ebay and it was too small and too late into the season.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,456 Posts
    I planted peppers last year but they never grew fruit, I don't think it got hot enough for them

6. Post #6
    OvB
    March 2007
    13,017 Posts
    Peppers are a very competitive thing. Each year people try to beat the record. The current record holder is the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion at 2,000,000SHU That's Twice as hot as the famous Bhut Jolokia (ghost chili), and about the same as law enforcement grade pepper spray. It is also a full 500,000SHU more than last years highest, the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T.

Pure Capsaicin is 16,000,000 SHU

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_rating

These things can actually cause physical harm if consumed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    14,747 Posts
    I'm not the type who enjoys the super hot stuff. I just enjoy it for the spice and flavor it adds to a meal.

I live in Maryland, and the weather here is bipolar so I don't know what'll happen, haha.

I might turn this thread slowly to an in-general what I'm planting thread, but the main focus is going to be on the peppers.

I got this 'Mega' Cabbage that the Bonnie company advertises from my school, so I'm eager to see how big it gets

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    14,747 Posts
    So here's what I've done Sunday:

Here are a few of the pots I used. I actually ended up not using that white pot.

I took some of this old soil here, mixed it with a little bit of new soil, then threw it into the pots, planted the peppers, and topped them with more new, fresh soil.

And here they are! Obviously screwed up on the first on the left but no matter, they'll all be fine! These are the Jalapenos.

More of the peppers, these are the cherry and chilli peppers.

More

Some are starting to come out! Of course, it'll be awhile longer before they're anywhere near a decent, consumable size.

So that's all so far! I'll post more next Sunday or Monday, assuming any significant changes occur.

9. Post #9
    December 2008
    702 Posts
    I'm not the type who enjoys the super hot stuff. I just enjoy it for the spice and flavor it adds to a meal.

I live in Maryland, and the weather here is bipolar so I don't know what'll happen, haha.

I might turn this thread slowly to an in-general what I'm planting thread, but the main focus is going to be on the peppers.

I got this 'Mega' Cabbage that the Bonnie company advertises from my school, so I'm eager to see how big it gets

Oh god yes, 90 yesterday and 60 today!
    My grandfather grows jalapenos outside in big plastic storage containers as pots., just lots of sun and water, a little plant food and it works well for him every year. Good luck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    OvB
    March 2007
    13,017 Posts
    For future reference, you might want to invest in some sticks because they get quite tall and become easy to break. You might also want to re-pot them into bigger pots once they grow a bit. They might get crowded.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    14,747 Posts
    For future reference, you might want to invest in some sticks because they get quite tall and become easy to break. You might also want to re-pot them into bigger pots once they grow a bit. They might get crowded.
    Everytime we do this we use those pots. Most of the time they are fine. The round ones are pretty deep so they should be good.

As for the sticks, we do have some and we do put them in once they get taller, especially since it sometimes gets pretty windy at times.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    14,747 Posts
    I'm not going to change those imgur images in case they come back, but from here on I'll try out that puush site:

Current progress on my cabbage. It's grown three inches taller since the last picture and is spreading out like crazy!

The peppers so far. These are the cherry ones, and the chilli are hiding in the back.

There they are!

The Jalapenos

And the rest!

13. Post #13

May 2012
    6 Posts
    Wow, thanks a lot for the thread. We've been trying to grow red Chili peppers for ages, but they seem to be such touchy feely things. I'll give it another try now.

14. Post #14
    Sorry about the downtime, now buy shit.
    February 2010
    1,588 Posts
    Wow, thanks a lot for the thread. We've been trying to grow red Chili peppers for ages, but they seem to be such touchy feely things. I'll give it another try now.
    I make my own hot sauce, and I use bits of Habanero in it. During winter, they're hard to come by in my area so I grow my own. They are the most picky little bitches you'll ever grow.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    14,747 Posts
    Updating with more pictures. I picked up Serrano peppers and I'm now growing those, as well as some lettuce and tomatoes (which are not pictured).

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    14,747 Posts
    Sorry for the lack of updates, been quite lazy lately.

Things are going pretty well, however, I cannot identify the peppers! One of them doesn't even look like anything we thought we got!

Also, the cabbage had bugs in it and we solved that problem. It also needs to be planted in the ground soon enough. These pictures are a few days old, but nothing has changed too much.

The Cherry Peppers. Looking good so far, a few bigger ones coming up.

Here's a group I cannot really identify. They're larger than the Jalapenos we got earlier, but they look like them.

More Jalapenos. They are probably too close together, but whatever.

A good stumpy one.

The really tall one that we do not know what it is. They look like Jalapenos but are wrinkly.