1. Post #1

January 2012
    66 Posts
    Hey, I'm wondering which language is simplist and easiest to pickup, choices:
    1. Java
    2.C
    3.C++
    4.C#
    Ps are c and c# the same thIng?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    October 2007
    129 Posts
    C# and java
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

3. Post #3

January 2012
    66 Posts
    Thanks, was thinking about using c#. Do you mind I u give me a very simple beginners code to see if I can figure out what it does? I already know some python, is the syntax similar?

4. Post #4
    June 2008
    485 Posts
    Thanks, was thinking about using c#. Do you mind I u give me a very simple beginners code to see if I can figure out what it does? I already know some python, is the syntax similar?
    Syntax is very different, but I guess there are some similarities.

Code:
    using System;

namespace HelloWorld
    {
    	class Program
    	{
    		static void Main(string[] args)
    		{
    			Console.WriteLine("Hello, world!");
    			Console.ReadKey();
    		}
    	}
    }
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #5

April 2010
    2,425 Posts
    What do you want to program? It will make it easier choosing a language.

6. Post #6
    C. Never code OOP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events Dumb Dumb x 21Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    October 2011
    948 Posts
    C is really easy to learn and will basically teach you everything you ever will need to know about programming.

C and C# are not the same. The only thing they share is the third letter of the English alphabet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,234 Posts
    C. Never code OOP.
    OOP is lovely though, why such an absolute statement?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,122 Posts
    C is really easy to learn and will basically teach you everything you ever will need to know about programming.

C and C# are not the same. The only thing they share is the third letter of the English alphabet.
    Pointers are definitely not something people easily pick up. And C# and C have much more in common than just the letter.

10. Post #10
    December 2009
    1,122 Posts
    I'd learn Java, but that's just my opinion from my experience. I started off with C++ and the idea of prototypes, namespaces and pointers overwhelmed me. I've now been using Java for 2 months, and moving on to OpenGL stuff. Yes, java is actually a lot slower than C++ because of the way the compiler reads the code you wrote, but I wouldn't worry about speed until you actually make something that requires speed, and learn a faster language then.

P.S. Also unlike C++, java compilers will bitch at you for absolutely everything, and won't even let you run a program unless it's expectations are met, which is actually really good for learning, since you'll know exactly where your problems are.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,464 Posts
    I stated with C++. It has some hard concepts, but if you persevere you have a lot of freedom with how you do things. C# and Java are both very similar from my limited use of them, but I may be wrong.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    C. Never code OOP.
    I write my C programs in an OO way
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,017 Posts
    Lua (if you can add it to your choices).