1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    10,977 Posts
    Can I change the mileage that's on the odometer? Currently the one I have right now (which has a snapped engine temp needle) needs to be replaced and has around 130k miles. The one I ordered has 180k. I was wondering if I could change the mileage of the new one to what I have currently.

Car is a 1997 Honda Civic DX if it makes a difference.

P.S. I know it's illegal to change the mileage but it's only illegal if you're changing it for resale purposes.

2. Post #2
    December 2011
    1,964 Posts
    repaint the second digit's drum if you cant just spin it backwards.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,681 Posts
    put it on bricks and drive in reverse for 50,000 miles
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    724 Posts
    I'm pretty sure you can just replace the needles, I might be wrong though.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    10,977 Posts
    I'm pretty sure you can just replace the needles, I might be wrong though.
    Well the thing is, the needle's pin snapped inside the small hole. There's a piece left inside so even if we tried to replace the needle, that small piece prevents us from being able to insert the needle fully so it'll just pop back out at the slightest bump.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,054 Posts
    If it's made of a magnetic metal, would using a magnet to fish it out work?

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    1,276 Posts
    Why did you order one with such high mileage in the first place?

8. Post #8
    IT WAS ONLY $1 SO WHY NOT BUY A TITLE?
    March 2007
    3,102 Posts
    Can I change the mileage that's on the odometer? Currently the one I have right now (which has a snapped engine temp needle) needs to be replaced and has around 130k miles. The one I ordered has 180k. I was wondering if I could change the mileage of the new one to what I have currently.

Car is a 1997 Honda Civic DX if it makes a difference.

P.S. I know it's illegal to change the mileage but it's only illegal if you're changing it for resale purposes.
    Odometer and speedometers are extremely sensitive to fiddling with them. You'll never be able to get it perfect and it's a very finicky thing. Odometer replacements are very common on my type of car (4th Gen Prelude) due to the later years having the digital dash, and the only answer I ever could find was "Take it to the dealer".