1. Post #41
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    6,892 Posts
    OP is butthurt as fuck.

Seriously how is this scary at all? There's 3 enemies, and they all do the SAME FUCKING THING. And you think that's scary? There's absolutely no tension being built up. You're never gonna get scared a second time because the game's scares are all the same.

Just reviewed what was said in the thread, literally one person said something slightly negative about the mod and you flip your shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    5,665 Posts
    i have the decency to play something before calling it shit, you should too
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,698 Posts
    Fine.

So if I play it entirely, and come back, can I tell you how bad it was?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    Oh cool I just finished it and came back to see this

That was fucking SHIT

There's no element of horror at all, the enemies are boring and have no unique qualities, the level design is poor and emphasises a sense of repetitiveness, and the music was so fucking annoying I had to turn the sound off.

Where the hell did you get your concept of a good horror game?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 6Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    5,665 Posts
    i bet you think doom is shit too then?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 19 (list)

6. Post #46
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,698 Posts
    Herr, you completely pulled that out of your arse?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

7. Post #47
    December 2010
    2,556 Posts
    Guys, guys, calm down. We all have different tastes, different ideas of what's scary. That's why there are so many different kinds of horror games and movies, we're all affected by different kinds of horror differently. Ghoul's forest doesn't work for me, but it works for him, so I say I'm glad he found a WAD he can enjoy. God knows the Doom community can sometimes be too purist to try anything other than standard levels. I say we all recommend Doom WADs we do find creepy so we can enjoy all of them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5Dumb Dumb x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #48
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    What

I'm sorry you'll need to rephrase that in a way that's less stupid
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 10Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #49
    December 2010
    2,556 Posts
    A couple good horror wads I've read about: Brains 1 (http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12568) and 2 (http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12598).

City of the Damned is a good zombie based one : http://www.realm667.com/index.php?op...sk=view&id=466

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    842 Posts
    I've never seen someone so butthurt.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 11Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    8,038 Posts
    Ghoul's forest may not be the best horror game but it's one of the best Doom wads.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    5,984 Posts
    Ghoul's forest may not be the best horror game but it's one of the best Doom wads.
    No, it's really not. It's well polished because it's coming from a man who's done a lot of work on Doom wads. Once this series took off like a fucking pop single, he ran with it and never looked back, even making a multiplayer variant (which, hey, may be fun. Never tried it.)

It may be one of the most well known due to it's popularity and that may make it seem good, but as previously stated, it's not. It's a thirty minute romp (tops) of some custom enemies in a forest. As someone who grew up suckling Doom II's teat, I've had my fair share of good (and bad) wads, and this certainly doesn't rank near the top 10. Top 50 would still be a close call.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    7,814 Posts
    I played it and I've been more scared having a shit and realising there's no toilet paper
    That can be pretty scary though.

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,710 Posts
    No, it's really not. It's well polished because it's coming from a man who's done a lot of work on Doom wads. Once this series took off like a fucking pop single, he ran with it and never looked back, even making a multiplayer variant (which, hey, may be fun. Never tried it.)
    The multiplayer mod is pretty average in every (non artistic) aspect: average team-based mod, average class-based mod, etc. What it isn't is scary, I doubt it's even intended to be. Overall I'd pick Master of Puppetry over Ghouls vs. Humans any day.

And yeah, Ghoul's Forest is not "one of the best" Doom II wads. Personally I think that's an insult to the people who spent months or even years working on huge, awesome WADs that you've never heard of simply because unlike Ghoul's Forest they don't have an army of 12-year-olds making videos of themselves plastering annotations over their 10-minute playthroughs.

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    18,999 Posts
    are you implying anybody could think DOOM's music was annoying

ahaha

16. Post #56
    May 2011
    278 Posts
    Anyone played the ghouls forest 4 (parody)?

17. Post #57
    i came into this thread to talk about this fun game and all i see are people moaning about how wrong the op is.

tsk tsk
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Vietnam Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #58
    dubstep
    August 2005
    4,195 Posts
    Not as scary as the Shalebridge Cradle.

19. Post #59
    CaF
    July 2009
    760 Posts
    this WAD is about playing this with friends over skype and hear then yell and get scared.

20. Post #60
    May 2011
    122 Posts
    This game is scary if you havent watched the video. Played it with my friend and i recorded it. We screamed like mad:) I reccomend this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    9,770 Posts
    This game is like Serious Sam with screamers as enemies.....wooo, scary.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    18,999 Posts
    I never realized how hilarious this thread was

23. Post #63
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,554 Posts
    Ghoul's Forest is tense, not scary. For something to be scary, it needs time to build and/or have atmosphere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,747 Posts
    Breezed through this mod about a year ago. It felt like there was no effort put forth to make it a horror game. I never felt scared, tense, anything. On the flip side, I can't even play Penumbra or Amnesia for half an hour before squealing like a girl. Overall, Ghouls Forest is just little babby scares, with some shock images thrown in near the end. It isn't worth playing unless you want to see the Big Rigs of the horror world.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #65
    February 2012
    2,775 Posts
    Fuck that little ghost girl

On another note what's with the hate with Ghouls series? It's not horror it's goddamn tense and Multiplayer was a blast.
    Sure the OP is butthurt but it's not fair to say it's the worse mod series ever, it was pretty good back in the day...And I'm not saying it was the best either

26. Post #66
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,554 Posts
    Fuck that little ghost girl

On another note what's with the hate with Ghouls series? It's not horror it's goddamn tense and Multiplayer was a blast.
    Sure the OP is butthurt but it's not fair to say it's the worse mod series ever, it was pretty good back in the day...And I'm not saying it was the best either
    We're not saying it's bad, we're just saying it's not a scary game like the OP said, it's just something that makes you tense with having to worry about the ghouls coming after you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #67
    June 2006
    46 Posts
    Honestly the arguement about not being scared in the second playthrough can be used for any horror game. Any scare that your remember the second time is going to be inneffective that time around. The only thing that makes this mod any different is that it's extremely short, so you tend to remember everything. I can see why people don't like this sort of thing because they define "scary" differently. Personally I think of games like Silent Hill and Amnesia as creepy with some scares mixed in, and games like this one and say, Afraid of Monsters as scary with a creepiness aspect to them. Now i'm not making a quality comparison here, as this thing seems to have needed far less effort, but I still found it genuinely scary. I also think that it did in fact have atmosphere. I found that the backstory behind it and the dark, surprise filled forest set it up nicely. The only thing bad about it that I can see is that it left quite a lot to the imagination. Somebody without an overactive imagination coming into this will just dismiss the whole thing simply as "jump scares" and move on, while people with them might wonder more about the details of the story, ghouls, forest, etc. The part that they don't know only further freaks them out them about the parts that they do, because of all the things their imagination has conjured up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

28. Post #68
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,698 Posts
    Honestly the arguement about not being scared in the second playthrough can be used for any horror game. Any scare that your remember the second time is going to be inneffective that time around. The only thing that makes this mod any different is that it's extremely short, so you tend to remember everything. I can see why people don't like this sort of thing because they define "scary" differently. Personally I think of games like Silent Hill and Amnesia as creepy with some scares mixed in, and games like this one and say, Afraid of Monsters as scary with a creepiness aspect to them. Now i'm not making a quality comparison here, as this thing seems to have needed far less effort, but I still found it genuinely scary. I also think that it did in fact have atmosphere. I found that the backstory behind it and the dark, surprise filled forest set it up nicely. The only thing bad about it that I can see is that it left quite a lot to the imagination. Somebody without an overactive imagination coming into this will just dismiss the whole thing simply as "jump scares" and move on, while people with them might wonder more about the details of the story, ghouls, forest, etc. The part that they don't know only further freaks them out them about the parts that they do, because of all the things their imagination has conjured up.
    Dude, why do you restart this argument? This was on back in April. And thankfully it died.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #69
    June 2006
    46 Posts
    Then don't respond I guess. It just seemed there was barely any case made intelligently for that side, and I didn't look at the date.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

30. Post #70
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    12,130 Posts
    lol wat

how is this scary it's a bat thing that goes wha wha wha

31. Post #71
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,809 Posts
    he was already banned for trolling, too..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)