1. Post #121
    October 2011
    661 Posts
    chile

texas
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 52Funny Funny x 20 (list)

2. Post #122
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    9,805 Posts
    -worst thread reading eversnip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 11Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

3. Post #123
    November 2008
    2,385 Posts
    So we are starting to repeat ourselves.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Lithuania Show Events

4. Post #124
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    9,805 Posts
    wait what, seriously? but I looked through the whole- *reads first page again*

OH GODDAMNIT
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #125
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    13,276 Posts
    If I remember correctly, this was the first interracial kiss on television

The first interracial kiss on television was actually between Sammy Davis Jr. and Nancy Sinatra. The kiss between Shatner and Nichols most likely got more attention, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 12Useful Useful x 1 (list)

6. Post #126
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,909 Posts
    Romanian Revolution 1989:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 42Winner Winner x 6Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #127
    Fluttershy Enthusiast
    June 2011
    4,835 Posts
    Surprised the C64 boot screen hasn't been posted.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

8. Post #128
    Gold Member
    December 2011
    814 Posts
    what is this from?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12Late Late x 2Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #129
    Glod Menber
    June 2008
    4,481 Posts
    what is this from?
    What's the story behind this?
    That's Anders Behring Breivik on the small island of Utoya in Norway. He went on the island posing as a police officer and shot 69 people, most of them children.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

10. Post #130
    Sorry about the downtime, now buy shit.
    February 2010
    1,588 Posts
    what is this from?
    2011 Norway Attacks.

If you're from the U.S. chances are you only heard about it once or twice the entire year.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

11. Post #131
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    12,728 Posts
    Hurricane Katrina:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 58Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 4 (list)

12. Post #132
    Official Smiles.
    January 2010
    10,539 Posts

Japan tsunami
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 38Friendly Friendly x 3Informative Informative x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #133
    At least I don't have alzheimer's.
    January 2011
    2,297 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 103Agree Agree x 9Winner Winner x 6Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #134
    Star Extraordinaire
    May 2011
    4,308 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Late Late x 22Informative Informative x 2Artistic Artistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #135
    February 2010
    555 Posts
    Sometime around the year 1000, Leif Ericson founds the colony of Vinland, at modern day L'Anse aux Meadows, Canada. It was the first and so far only confirmed trans-oceanic colonization before Christopher Columbus began his journey in 1492.

I know there were no photos taken derp but it was still important.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 13Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #136
    July 2010
    4,278 Posts

First ever photo of a human. You can see him down near the bottom left. Since pictures had to be exposed for 10 minutes, everything had moved on before it was caught. The exception what the gentleman you see there, having his shoes shined.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 102Agree Agree x 5Zing Zing x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

17. Post #137
    Official Smiles.
    January 2010
    10,539 Posts

First ever photo of a human. You can see him down near the bottom left. Since pictures had to be exposed for 10 minutes, everything had moved on before it was caught. The exception what the gentleman you see there, having his shoes shined.
    thats awesome
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 100 (list)

18. Post #138
    October 2010
    378 Posts

An EOD Technician approaches a car bomb in North Ireland.

An American soldier in the Vietnam war poses for a photo, with the phrase "War Is Hell" written on the band of his helmet.

Ainsley Harriott makes a salad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 151Winner Winner x 5Artistic Artistic x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #139
    June 2010
    2,159 Posts

An American soldier in the Vietnam war poses for a photo, with the phrase "War Is Hell" written on the band of his helmet.
    Are you sure that's a guy?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb x 89Agree x 5Optimistic x 2Informative x 1Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #140
    CUNT DESTROYER
    August 2008
    10,744 Posts
    I have a fullsized print of this one, got it for free at a Marching Band fundraiser garage sale due to busted frame (and for being part of the band).

It's an Eastern Guard going West right? Berlin Wall Jumper?
    Yeah, he ended up committing suicide too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 11 (list)

21. Post #141
    March 2011
    1,820 Posts
    Yeah, he ended up committing suicide too.
    His name was Conrad Schumann.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

22. Post #142
    I ROLL THE NICKELS
    October 2008
    17,847 Posts
    I have a huge collection of 9-11 pictures. Some of the graphic stuff and since these are photos that shook the world I think I can post them even with their nature. They're not well known pictures and are rather obscure because of the sensitive nature of their content (mostly the Jumpers) but I'll throw a few in the thread and if anyone is interested I can post more.

This is a shot taken of the North Tower VIP driveway. In this picture alone there are around 5-6 Jumpers that have landed on the overhang. According to Firefighters the triangles were made of plexiglass and when the Jumpers did manage to make it through it mangled them as you can see laying behind the SUV. One the Jumpers remains pretty well intact, I have a photo of [her/him] as [he/she] was falling. I speculate that the way they fell managed to absorb some of the shock. Usually Jumpers 'explode' when they land. Bones shatter, bone marrow, fat tissues and blood congeal and mix together with oils and spread out over eight feet. I have a picture of what it looks like too. I also have a video of a Jumper exploding and another landing.

This Jumper landed on the roof of the Marriot between the North and South Tower.

Approximately seventy people landed infront in the Plaza right infront of the Lobby of the North Tower. When the Jumpers land their blood mists and disperses so a single Jumper or two won't produce a pool of blood but in this circumstance it was like layering on paint over and over again until it was running down the windows and pooling on the Plaza. This is a screencap from a video, in this video you can also see a Jumper hit the stage between the two Towers where numerous Jumpers also landed.

Another note to make that when the planes hit the towers that bodies were torn apart and ejected across several blocks. The red bits you see everywhere used to be people.

Another piece of someone landed on the sidewalk.

I have hundreds of pictures like these. Most people don't know they exist but it's important that what happened the day is forgotten. It wasn't just two buildings collapsing, it was naked terror and these pictures don't even scratch the surface.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 85Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #143
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,394 Posts
    What is the estimate in the amount of people that decided to jump instead of the alternative?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

24. Post #144
    I ROLL THE NICKELS
    October 2008
    17,847 Posts
    What is the estimate in the amount of people that decided to jump instead of the alternative?
    Approximately 200 people. Minutes after the first plane hit people began to fall and they were jumping even as the Towers came down. Almost all of them came from the North Tower. The South Tower was mostly cleared out by the time the second plane hit and didn't stand as long as the North Tower did.

For reference here is a video of people from Windows on The World in the North Tower hanging out the windows, that's only a small portion of one facade of the building. Most of them end up jumping before the tower collapses.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 42Funny Funny x 2 (list)

25. Post #145
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    12,424 Posts
    that video makes me feel sick
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 45Disagree Disagree x 3Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

26. Post #146
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,162 Posts

All buildings in the village of Severny (both wooden and brick), located 55 kilometres (34 mi) from ground zero within the Sukhoy Nos test range, were completely destroyed. In districts hundreds of kilometers from ground zero, wooden houses were destroyed, stone ones lost their roofs, windows and doors; and radio communications were interrupted for almost one hour. One participant in the test saw a bright flash through dark goggles and felt the effects of a thermal pulse even at a distance of 270 kilometres (170 mi). The heat from the explosion could have caused third-degree burns 100 km (62 mi) away from ground zero. A shock wave was observed in the air at Dikson settlement 700 kilometres (430 mi) away; windowpanes were partially broken to distances of 900 kilometres (560 mi). Atmospheric focusing caused blast damage at even greater distances, breaking windows in Norway and Finland. The seismic shock created by the detonation was measurable even on its third passage around the Earth. Its seismic body wave magnitude was about 5 to 5.25. The energy yield was around 7.1 on the Richter scale but, since the bomb was detonated in air
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner x 9Agree x 3Late x 2Dumb x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #147
    June 2009
    3,404 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 156Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #148
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,992 Posts
    The Babi Yar massacre

Although only a participation of approximately 5,000 to 6,000 Jews had been expected at first, more than 30,000 Jews arrived who, until the very moment of their execution, still believed in their resettlement, thanks to an extremely clever organization.

I watched what happened when the Jews men, women, and children arrived. The Ukrainians led them past a number of different places where one after the other they had to give up their luggage, then their coats, shoes and over-garments and also underwear. They also had to leave their valuables in a designated place. There was a special pile for each article of clothing. It all happened very quickly and anyone who hesitated was kicked or pushed by the Ukrainians to keep them moving.

Statement of Truck-Driver Hofer describing the murder of Jews at Babi Yar

Once undressed, they were led into the ravine which was about 150 meters long and 30 meters wide and a good 15 meters deep When they reached the bottom of the ravine they were seized by members of the Schutzpolizei and made to lie down on top of Jews who had already been shot The corpses were literally in layers. A police marksman came along and shot each Jew in the neck with a submachine gun I saw these marksmen stand on layers of corpses and shoot one after the other The marksman would walk across the bodies of the executed Jews to the next Jew, who had meanwhile lain down, and shoot him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babi_Yar
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 32Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #149
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events Agree x 30Friendly x 5Late x 3Optimistic x 1Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #150
    October 2010
    12,247 Posts
    Are you sure that's a guy?
    Are you sure that's not a young man?

If you knew any better, they sent a lot of young men to the Vietnam war. A lot of who hadn't been to WWII, except for high-ranking commander generals and shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

31. Post #151
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    12,852 Posts
    History is a tapestry stained red with the blood of millions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree x 46Artistic x 6Disagree x 2Late x 1Useful x 1Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #152
    July 2009
    4,163 Posts
    I think this image is more iconic:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 27 (list)

33. Post #153
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    11,202 Posts
    I think those 9/11 pictures are literally the most unsettling things I've ever seen. I actually want you to post more.

I think it's most unsettling to know that I was within a few miles radius of this all on this day, and the fact that I was 6 years old when all this act of simply inhuman nature occurred. I was 6 years old, within a few miles radius of all of that. Blows my fucking mind.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 24Friendly Friendly x 4Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

34. Post #154
    February 2006
    538 Posts
    On entirely different notes...
    "The picture depicts stricken child crawling towards an United Nations food camp, located a kilometer away."

Vancouver riot kiss.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly x 61Late x 7Winner x 4Agree x 1Zing x 1 (list)

35. Post #155
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,918 Posts
    [9-11 Tragedy]
    Please do post more, and if you can, a link to the video.

I go to New York City sometimes for vacation, and on Wednesday I got back from a trip there. I was in the area where the towers fell and it's so hard to imagine all of this that happened, where I later stood.

But, we rebuild.

Photo taken by me on 4/17/12
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner x 24Agree x 2Friendly x 1Optimistic x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

36. Post #156
    I ROLL THE NICKELS
    October 2008
    17,847 Posts
    Alright, well I can show you an area that was pretty dense with Jumpers. Let me link the video first.

00:49 at almost the center of the screen you'll see a Jumper hit a railing and explode, you'll see the mist of the blood and hear the sound of the body hitting the railing, which I have a picture of, they bent it pretty badly. About a dozen Jumpers landed in this particular area.

Some people don't think it's a Jumper but in documentaries that use that footage like "102 Minutes that Changed America" they censor it and drown out the "BANG"

This is where the Jumpers landed. There are three Jumpers in this picture, one is hidden right behind the firefighter because he's walking infront of it but I have a picture. The other two are infront and behind the truck respectively but they're pretty fucked up. You can even see where that railing has been broken down and bent.

Behind the Firefighter, by that red sign there is another Jumper.

Those signs were all around the building and said "WTC 1" "WTC 2" and what not. You notice how this one is bent, so you know it's the same one. Toward the left of Ten Truck is the VIP driveway where the other Jumper picture was taken.

To give you an idea, this Jumper landed in the middle of this parking lot and there isn't much left of him, they like, collapse into themselves and spread out over eight feet. You can see chunks and bits of that Jumper all over that picture, on the sidewalk, on the street, across the parking lot and cars. It was like this for a few blocks in every direction of the towers.

This is basically what happens, their blood and fats and oils mix together and turn into this sorta substance. This is a foot of a Jumper by the way, still wearing a shoe. People usually don't know what they're looking at even when there are Jumpers in the picture because they're looking for bodies but when they landed they didn't look like anything except small chunks, shredded clothes and this fatty substance over eight feet around where they landed.

This is a pretty bad one too. Government exhibit from the trial of Moussaoui, Jumper head laying on the street infront of the towers.

I still have plenty more where this came from. And for a bit more perspective here's a chart.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 35Informative Informative x 3Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 2 (list)

37. Post #157
    October 2011
    360 Posts
    I.. i have never really told anyone, at least my friends and such, but, i was there i was 12 years old and i was with my dad in the city, he worked at 1 Penn Plaza right off of 33rd St, i was with him because we were going to a doctor and he needed to grab some stuff for work before my appointment, so i went up to his office with him. And as he is finishing some stuff on the computer, and his secretary calls him over in a pancaked voice, and her exact words were "a plane just hit one of the towers" and i remember thinking there was no way, just no way, that that could happen, and i walked out and saw the smoke and.... i saw the 2nd plane hit too, after that we tried to leave but there was so much chaos, we stayed in the underground parking lot for a bit then went up and tried to walk out to the GW bridge, and right after the first tower fell and there was so much dust...

Thank you for posting these pictures, i mean for me just looking at them makes me shake, as im writing this my hands are shaking furiously, I

Thank you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 62Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #158
    I love Boobies
    December 2011
    326 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb x 63Funny x 5Winner x 1Optimistic x 1Useful x 1 (list)

39. Post #159
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    826 Posts
    I always think of House of Leaves when I see this. Am I the only one that's read that book?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #160
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    11,827 Posts
    I always think of House of Leaves when I see this. Am I the only one that's read that book?
    I read it, couldn't understand shit, read Finnegan's Wake
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)