1. Post #161
    January 2012
    308 Posts
    Really photogenic guy.jpg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 33 (list)

2. Post #162
    Star Extraordinaire
    May 2011
    4,380 Posts
    Really photogenic guy.jpg
    Photos that Shoock the World.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #163
    I ROLL THE NICKELS
    October 2008
    17,937 Posts
    Not photos, but here are some first-hand accounts I didn't get around to posting last night. These are all from the same guy.

I had a friend that worked in the North Tower at an investment firm. Wont get into the names too much, his family still has a hard road to go because of dumbshits like the "Let's drool crew", and they still get stupid shits saying rather coldhearted things to them or in their presence and I do not wish to add to that.

Started as a "road trip" I guess you could say. Had talked to Todd a few days after the 1st of September, and told him we were coming that direction. As you can guess he was rather proud to work at the WTC, and rightfuly so. The guy was very intelligent. He was a friend that I looked at like " This guy has his shit going for him, he's a hard worker, has a good heart, and can take his life anywhere he wants to, what does he see in ME that has him consider me a friend ? "

That was just Todd's nature though. I am sure you have seen people that glorify people after they have died, but it wasn't that way with Todd, he was a good man before and after death. He had been working there about 6 months, and said he would still get confused about the WTC complex because it was a city within a city, but I think that was more of a joke.

I don't travel much, and never really liked big crowds. Todd was a friend though, and since we were going that direction, I overcame my feelings about big crowds to see what hand life had dealt him. He would have done the same for me.

We stopped at a hotel we could afford on the Jersey side overnight. We wanted to make the time count and left out early. I am very dense at times, and little sleep makes it even worse. After getting turned in circles a bit, we made it to Lower Manhattan, around 8:15. There were so many things to see, we did not know where to start. We went down into the lower levels under the WTC complex to the various stores.

Todd was going to meet up with us at 9:15 am to show us the sights and sounds of the complex. While down there, a sound like a blevy explosion radiated through the complex. Not being sure of what it was, I was skeptical when someone said a plane hit. New Yorkers see all kinds of shit, and have seen just about everything you can imagine, and for that reason I was skeptical. I thought a plane hit ? Why is everyone not going apeshit ? Some looked worried, others acted like it was no big deal.

More and more people were saying it was deffitnetly a plane, and a shop keeper started handing out disposable cameras. He knew it was going to be a big deal, a historic deal. He told people to take all the pictures they could, and I listened. Not sure how many others took him seriously, but I did. They started getting people out as quick as they could, and started sending people up the stairs to higher levels.

BANG

BANG

What the fuck ?

BANG

"It's bombs, they are trying to kill us all !" said one person. People were starting to freak out after that.

BANG
    BANG
    BANG

" That is no fucking bomb. " Said a man.

" Well what the fuck is it ? " she asked.

" Not sure, but it's no bomb. "

Boooomm!!!!!!!!!

" That was a bomb !! " he said.

People were really uneasy now, then a person said it was another plane. As you can imagine, there started to a different feeling in the air. Now it was no accident, it was intentional.

BANG

BANG

They kept getting louder the futher up we went. Starting up the stairs to the plaza level, people screamed and jumped back. That is when I knew exactly what we were hearing. As we were getting closer, some were not really aware of what was going on. You could see the plaza out the windows, and there was debris everywhere. A woman was kind of puzzled looking out, and a cop told us not to look out the windows. When someone tells you something like that, what is the first thing you do ? You look out.

If there was any doubt left, it quickly vanished.

BOOOOOOM

Right before your eyes, you see a man explode on impact. His blood came out in a mist, and parts went everywhere. We were all kind of stunned, and did not have time to process what just happened when another hit. The ones that hit further out were the same EVERYTIME. The difference was there were several people that hit right beside the towers, and their blood kept spraying the windows like spraypaint. Each one added another "layer" to the windows. Some did not want to realize what they had just seen and were in shock. A heavy set woman landed between the musicstage and facade and covered almost 3 windows.

Just when I thought it could not get worse, a pregnant woman hit. She landed right hip first, and exploded everywhere, along with her unborn child. After that, things got really fuzzy. All of it was horrible to see, but seeing that baby explode that way has fucked my head up. I remember being in some sort of a daze, shock, whatever you call it. I remember coming out at ground level close to the towers, but not right at them. I looked up in time to see a man hit the corner of the Marriot Hotel and explode, though his limbs hit the concrete with enough force to still be felt about 50 feet away. Then another, and another and another. After seeing a couple more fall between the North Tower and Marriot, my brain went in to autopilot I guess. All of it was so fucked up, it took my mind off of why I was there to begin with. Todd.

Walking away from the WTC complex, I was worried about him, and had no clue what happened to him. After both collapses, I did not have to wonder anymore, I knew my friend was dead.
    I was talking to a woman that was there that day, and she told me some interesting, but troubling things. She said there was a man and woman speared together with a part of the builing facade that came down when Flight 11 hit the North Tower. She asked me if I had seen them, and I told her no.

She thought, but was not sure, that they were co-workers that had started dating, and since that sort of thing is not exactly accepted in some places, they were sneaking and giving each other a kiss when it happened. She said a piece of steel as big around as the steel that trains roll on went through both of them, and then stuck into the concrete as well. She said she saw them standing there with the piece of steel sticking through them both, and it was actually holding them up off the ground.

She did see the same woman I saw that had been crushed by a piece of the facade that fell though. It landed on her, and because it had forward momentum, it ground her up as it was scooting across the ground. I remember seeing her and people in front of us said she was married. I remember thinking how can they know that ? Then I saw what they meant. As badly as she was destroyed, her left hand was normal looking, and she had a wedding ring on her left hand.
    Some think that is a joke, but it isn't. You could look out the windows and see different things scattered. Some things were tiny, but you could tell that they were of human origin, like small pieces of skin, a finger, toe, and you could see several teeth scattered about. Then you could see these rather odd looking white, round balls every so often. I remember one female cop that looked out and stared trying to figure out what different things were. Her gaze kept falling a paticular place, and expression remained puzzled looking. That did not last long.

They were moving people through at a decent pace, which was amazing to me considering the events, and number of people there. You would see people carrying others, or two would get a shoulder and walk them out. One poor woman's foot was cut very badly, and we were clearing a way so she could go ahead of us.

This was going on while the female cop was looking out the windows. Then we heard a sound that was..............a mixture of sounds ? It was a bang, splat, and a crunching sound, that is the only way I can decsribe it. The sound is troubling, almost as much as the visuals, and in some ways worse.

As a few were gazing out the windows, a poor black man came down feet first, though his knees were bent. The tips of his toes hit first, then his knees, then his body and arms. When his head hit, it shot both of his eyeballs out and one hit the window in front of the cop. She screamed a scream that would make chills run up your spine. The eyeball hit the window, and slowly slid down the glass leaving a trail as it did. It sound bizzare, I know it does. But it happened. Strange a body can hit with enough force to explode and destroy it's self, and blood comes out in a mist and it looks like hamburger meat laying there with bone marrow and fatty tissue clumped up. Yet the eyeballs remained for the most part intact.
    There was a lot of bad shit to see that day. Some people made it down the stairs from areas that had caught fire, and the only way to describe it is the skin melted, and had come off like a glove. They were in agony, yet they still stayed focused enough to tell first responders where they had come from, and if anyone else was up there or not.

Some people that had been outside, quite aways from the North Tower where hit by glass and metal and were bloody from head to toe. They were walking around as if they were in a daze. I guess they were in shock.

Glass continuously fell from the upper floors of both towers, from people breaking them for air, and glass in the frames of windows above and around the impact got hot and shattered. You could see it and hear it hit the ground around the towers.

A man said his friend had a piece of glass fall on him, and it was still hot enough to leave a 3rd degree burn on the back part of his neck. I don't doubt that either, there was shit all over the plaza burning, plane seats, clothes, all kinds of debris. It looked like a body or two was burning as well.

I remember looking towards the Northeast corner in the North Tower, just outside the windows on the concrete. There was what was left of tan colored kakis, and a light blue long sleeved dress shirt. After you looked at it for a second, you could see that there was part of someone still in them. The clothes were tattered and ripped up, but you could still tell what they were.

You could see a shoe every now and then that still had a foot inside of it. One sight that was strange to see, and took a minute to realize what it was, was an upside down jawbone that had a couple of teeth still in it. It had some of the skin still covering it, but was upside down. You could tell it was human by looking at it, but then it set in what it was. The thing was, there were so many parts scattered out all over the place, you could not tell what belonged to who. Even if the towers had not collapsed, it would have taken a long time to gather the parts and try to figure out what went where, and with whom it belonged to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 34Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #164
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    12,164 Posts
    Not photos, but here are some first-hand accounts I didn't get around to posting last night. These are all from the same guy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Useful Useful x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #165
    May 2009
    287 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 39Agree Agree x 3 (list)

6. Post #166
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,346 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

7. Post #167
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,494 Posts
    London riots:

First discovery of the Titanic:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 India Show Events Friendly Friendly x 29Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #168
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,275 Posts
    Romanian revolution of 1989

2 members of the "Patriotic Guard" help remove the Romanian Communist Party name from the building used as the headquarters of the party.

Demonstrators and army vehicles in Bucharest

Corpses lying in a morgue

Additional images. NSFW
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Romania Show Events Friendly Friendly x 25Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #169
    Glod Menber
    June 2008
    4,502 Posts
    West German embassy siege

Kommando Holger Meins posted:
    "The Holger Meins Commando is holding members of the embassy staff in order to free prisoners in West Germany. If the police move in, we shall blow the building up with 15 kilos of TNT."
    Click here to watch the bomb go off
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

10. Post #170
    January 2012
    474 Posts

This is a photo taken of Sgt. Leonard Siffleet, who was captured at Papua New Guinea in WWII, right before his execution through decapitation. The photo garnered a lot of attention in Australia when it was released through the press (Leonard was Australian). I'm not sure how well-known it was internationally.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 52Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #171
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    11,257 Posts
    Holy fuck those stories are vivid. I think it's finally setting in my head just how incredibly fucked up that day was.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 34Late Late x 1 (list)

12. Post #172
    May 2007
    1,989 Posts

Riot police line accompanied by trucks with water cannons in the Ardoyne area of Belfast preparing for 12th of July riots.

Riot police during the riots in England, 2011.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #173
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    24,898 Posts

Not actually a "photo", but this picture is pretty famous as part of the American Revolution

Edited:

Forgot about this famous one regarding the Titanic

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 19Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #174
    November 2011
    795 Posts
    Don't know about you, but these people rating "funny" on horrible images of death, gore, cruelty and suffering are pissing me off a bit...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 56Funny Funny x 8Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #175
    OFWGKTA
    July 2011
    9,687 Posts

Japan tsunami

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 79Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #176
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    24,898 Posts
    Need more optimistic, peaceful photos here.

Is the world really only full of horror, hell and death...?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 39Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #177
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,494 Posts

What about this, fall of the Berlin wall:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux India Show Events Friendly Friendly x 44Winner Winner x 4 (list)

18. Post #178
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    12,164 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 19Late Late x 3 (list)

19. Post #179
    I love Boobies
    December 2011
    326 Posts

Michael Jackson who died over drug overdose..... god of music
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree x 47Dumb x 6Friendly x 3Funny x 2Useful x 1Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #180
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    3,350 Posts
    Got any backstory for this one? I suppose palestinian?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #181
    I'm a loner who likes to get beat up at school
    June 2009
    11,556 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 58Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #182
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,494 Posts
    Christmas Eve of 1914 during the first world war, English and German troops shook hands and had a game of football:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 India Show Events Friendly Friendly x 124Winner Winner x 12Funny Funny x 2 (list)

23. Post #183
    Sir Michael Cole
    September 2008
    2,906 Posts
    Christmas Eve of 1914 during the first world war, English and German troops shook hands and had a game of football:

I remember seeing this in a documentary a while ago. It was so heartwarming.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 27Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

24. Post #184
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    1,252 Posts
    http://kurioso.es/english-2/10%20his...ant%20earlier/

interesting read on pictures taken before the famous pictures was taken.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #185
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    12,164 Posts

US and Soviet soldiers shaking hands at Torgau Germany
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 58Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

26. Post #186
    January 2008
    1,203 Posts
    When his head hit, it shot both of his eyeballs out and one hit the window in front of the cop. She screamed a scream that would make chills run up your spine. The eyeball hit the window, and slowly slid down the glass leaving a trail as it did.
    jesus fucking christ
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

27. Post #187
    Murr purr and stuff!
    November 2007
    35,581 Posts
    Got any backstory for this one? I suppose palestinian?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhamma...urrah_incident
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

28. Post #188
    February 2010
    555 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 18Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #189
    I'm a loner who likes to get beat up at school
    June 2009
    11,556 Posts

this one is pretty cool also
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 21Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #190
    OFWGKTA
    July 2011
    9,687 Posts
    The Beatles' last album before breaking up. Abbey Road.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner x 19Disagree x 5Dumb x 2Friendly x 1Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #191
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    12,989 Posts
    Not very popular, but I think it should be. It's a German soldier giving an injured Russian some water. I like it because it humanizes the Germans in WWII, while everyone today seems to think they're just robotic monsters.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 90Agree Agree x 16Winner Winner x 5 (list)

32. Post #192
    May 2007
    1,989 Posts
    President Obama's inauguration:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 33Dumb Dumb x 8Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #193
    July 2007
    3,255 Posts
    Oh Jesus, that kid in the bottom left, in the water, is he sitting up, still alive? Good God...
    Knew a dude from this clan I was in, he swam out right infront of this group.. took a couple of people with him but these where just too late.

He was interviewed by the UK Independent if you want to read up on it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6 (list)

34. Post #194
    I HATE COFFEE
    April 2009
    8,338 Posts
    Kinda late and probably dumb and already asked about, but what is this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

35. Post #195
    Probably our sun, or our galaxy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 13Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #196
    It's the Earth.

Carl Sagan posted:
    We succeeded in taking that picture [from deep space], and, if you look at it, you see a dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever lived, lived out their lives. The aggregate of all our joys and sufferings, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every hopeful child, every mother and father, every inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lived there on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of the dot on scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner of the dot. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity – in all this vastness – there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. It is up to us. It's been said that astronomy is a humbling, and I might add, a character-building experience. To my mind, there is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly and compassionately with one another and to preserve and cherish that pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 16Winner Winner x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

37. Post #197
    September 2011
    117 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 188Winner Winner x 2Zing Zing x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #198
    I HATE COFFEE
    April 2009
    8,338 Posts
    Probably our sun, or our galaxy.
    It's the Earth.
    Carl Sagan posted:
    Oh, okay! Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

39. Post #199
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    546 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

40. Post #200
    I love Boobies
    December 2011
    326 Posts

haha win
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 33Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)