1. Post #1801
    Dennab
    September 2011
    10,298 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 36Disagree Disagree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #1802
    On the subject of nanking, theres an movie that tells the story pretty well, it's called "The city of life and death". It's worth watching.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #1803
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    6,697 Posts
    footage of victims of nanking
    Fuck me, just reading that thumbnail makes me not want to even watch that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

4. Post #1804
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    2,382 Posts
    Chinese still hate the Japanese for what they did, even to this day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 5 (list)

5. Post #1805
    Chinese still hate the Japanese for what they did, even to this day.
    can't really blame them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

6. Post #1806
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    25,325 Posts
    can't really blame them.
    Given that majority of those who committed those atrocities are dead and the rest are so elderly that they'll be the same by the end of the decade, there's no reason to hate a country for a war that it did 70 some years ago.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

7. Post #1807
    September 2009
    12,243 Posts

US Soldiers crossing the Rhine under enemy fire
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 11Useful Useful x 1 (list)

8. Post #1808
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,117 Posts
    US Soldiers crossing the Rhine under enemy fire
    Wow, those guys climbing onboard. They look terrified.

I love it when photos capture emotions like this. It can tell us alot about history.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

9. Post #1809
    Dennab
    July 2009
    7,650 Posts
    Given that majority of those who committed those atrocities are dead and the rest are so elderly that they'll be the same by the end of the decade, there's no reason to hate a country for a war that it did 70 some years ago.
    It's the same reason everyone still hates Germany.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #1810
    Absolute tosser, manchild, and belligerent douche-nozzle.
    July 2006
    6,781 Posts
    Everyone doesn't... I don't know anyone that hates Germany... Besides the obligatory WW2 joke when you meet a German
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

11. Post #1811
    August 2012
    30 Posts
    lighten dat mood bled init

(User was banned for this post ("Shitpost" - Ninja101))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 24 (list)

12. Post #1812
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    18,706 Posts
    Pretty much only Poland hates Germany, 21 Century countries on the other aren't that stupid.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

13. Post #1813
    December 2009
    324 Posts
    Not really "world shaking" but this entire story involving James Holmes has been pretty popular throughout the US these past few weeks

On July 20, 2012, a mass shooting occurred at a Century movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, United States, during a midnight screening of the film The Dark Knight Rises. A gunman, dressed in tactical clothing, set off tear gas grenades and shot into the audience with multiple firearms, killing 12 people and injuring 58 others. The sole suspect is James Eagan Holmes, who was arrested outside the cinema minutes later.

Below: The door Holmes entered and then exited through after the attack

Yes this is quite late btw
    It took me this long to view the rest of the thread
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #1814
    True, My grandfather was a ranger in the pacific and my uncles have told me some stories from his service that would make you cry. I never understood his hatred for the japanese, even after the war, until I heard his stories. I got a few of his photos, would anyone mind if I posted them here along with a few stories?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #1815
    September 2009
    12,243 Posts

1st ID soldiers among the first wave taking cover behind hedgehogs on Omaha Beach.

Edited:

Soviet political officer Alexey Yeremenko encouraging his men to counterattack German positions Luhansk Oblast, Ukraine. He was killed seconds after this photo was taken. The subject was identified 23 years later by his wife and children when they saw this photo on a magazine commemorating the victory in Europe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 20Winner Winner x 2 (list)

16. Post #1816
    Creator of the Gold Member Times
    November 2011
    1,619 Posts
    True, My grandfather was a ranger in the pacific and my uncles have told me some stories from his service that would make you cry. I never understood his hatred for the japanese, even after the war, until I heard his stories. I got a few of his photos, would anyone mind if I posted them here along with a few stories?
    Please do so. I'd love to see the pictures and hear the stories.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

17. Post #1817
    Ok then, I'll scan the photos and will have them up by tomorrow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 10Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #1818
    August 2009
    800 Posts
    Man I don't know why I keep coming back here, everytime I do I get mortified and find myself shaken for a few days after.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #1819
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    10,864 Posts
    Reminds me of a veteran I met at The Shrine (War memorial in Melbourne, Aus). He was captured early in the war, and was in Japanese prison camps the whole war. He said the living conditions at the Japanese POW camps were "indescribable."
    He also said that at the POW camp he was in at the end of the war, he could see and feel the heat of the nuclear bombs on either Hiroshima or Nagasaki, can't remember which one it was.

One funny thing he told me about, is that he and his mates would call one Japanese officer "Fucking Jap", and the officer thought they were saying good things about him.

I'm glad I met him.

Edited:

Soviet political officer Alexey Yeremenko encouraging his men to counterattack German positions Luhansk Oblast, Ukraine. He was killed seconds after this photo was taken. The subject was identified 23 years later by his wife and children when they saw this photo on a magazine commemorating the victory in Europe.
    I love this image so much. Shows the bravery of soldiers very well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 11Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #1820
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    12,394 Posts

A helicopter pilot in Vietnam escaping his burning chopper.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 12 (list)

21. Post #1821
    Jherkin Gherkin
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,198 Posts

very much related to the above

Edited:

the pilot laying on the floor of the chopper died.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 18 (list)

22. Post #1822
    October 2011
    360 Posts

very much related to the above

Edited:

the pilot laying on the floor of the chopper died.

I actually have that magazine at home, if I had a scanner id upload the article.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

23. Post #1823
    July 2010
    4,341 Posts
    I find it kinda hard to feel sorry for Americans who died in Vietnam. I mean, i'm not up on your history, so if I'm wrong please correct me...but it's kinda like feeling sorry for the Germans that died in Stalingrad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 75 (list)

24. Post #1824
    Absolute tosser, manchild, and belligerent douche-nozzle.
    July 2006
    6,781 Posts
    How about fuck you?

Irregardless of what the war was about, we sent them to that country, many of them conscripts. Hell, I'm Australian and we sent people there too. 500 paid the price, 50,000 Americans did too.

Anyway, what was I saying? Oh yea, fuck you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 32Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #1825
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    10,864 Posts
    I find it kinda hard to feel sorry for Americans who died in Vietnam. I mean, i'm not up on your history, so if I'm wrong please correct me...but it's kinda like feeling sorry for the Germans that died in Stalingrad.
    Conscription and drafts bro. Half of them didn't even want to go.
    Don't get me wrong, I think that the vietnam war was stupid and useless, but I think your post is also fucking stupid.

Also realise that Germans fucking hated fighting in Stalingrad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 24 (list)

26. Post #1826
    Jherkin Gherkin
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,198 Posts
    what the fuck?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #1827
    r. panda is a racist and ibuwebu is mai waifu
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    How about fuck you?

Irregardless of what the war was about, we sent them to that country, many of them conscripts. Hell, I'm Australian and we sent people there too. 500 paid the price, 50,000 Americans did too.

Anyway, what was I saying? Oh yea, fuck you
    irregardless aint a word
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 25Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #1828
    July 2010
    4,341 Posts
    Conscription and drafts bro. Half of them didn't even want to go.
    Don't get me wrong, I think that the vietnam war was stupid and useless, but I think your post is also fucking stupid.

Also realise that Germans fucking hated fighting in Stalingrad.
    See know I didn't know America used conscription at the time. I was under the impression they all went willingly.

So yes. poor fucking bastards. War is hell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #1829
    Jherkin Gherkin
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,198 Posts
    you have alot to learn
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

30. Post #1830
    irregardless aint a word
    it is now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative x 4Dumb x 3Agree x 2Funny x 1Optimistic x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #1831
    September 2009
    2,027 Posts
    It still baffles me that we can have a functioning military without any conscription at all. Just the fact there are enough people willing to give their life for their country for said country to be safe just seems weird to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events

32. Post #1832
    I Fuckin' Love Ponies
    January 2007
    6,160 Posts
    Why don't you feel sorry for the Germans who died in Stalingrad? They didn't want to be there, hell most of them weren't even Nazi's, they had to go, just caught up in the whole thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

33. Post #1833
    May 2011
    883 Posts
    It still baffles me that we can have a functioning military without any conscription at all. Just the fact there are enough people willing to give their life for their country for said country to be safe just seems weird to me.
    Take the number of deployed soldiers againt the amount of injured/dead soldiers and you will see you have very good odds of living, it is a job for when you need money, need something important in your life, or want to see the world.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

34. Post #1834
    Jherkin Gherkin
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,198 Posts
    Why don't you feel sorry for the Germans who died in Stalingrad? They didn't want to be there, hell most of them weren't even Nazi's, they had to go, just caught up in the whole thing.
    and that is why he is stupid and received many boxes to put his posts in
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #1835
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    939 Posts
    Not always true, Israel for example pretty much requires mandatory military service if it is going to survive (for now). While it can be argued that they are as much the aggressors as their neighbors it's not really their fault that every country around them want's them gone and never wanted them there in the first place.

very famous photo of an Israeli tank crossing the Suez during the Yom Kippur war (1973)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

36. Post #1836
    I Fuckin' Love Ponies
    January 2007
    6,160 Posts
    Not always true, Israel for example pretty much requires mandatory military service if it is going to survive (for now). While it can be argued that they are as much the aggressors as their neighbors it's not really their fault that every country around them want's them gone and never wanted them there in the first place.
    Israel shouldn't be there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10 (list)

37. Post #1837
    Resplendent Reenactor
    June 2010
    18,379 Posts
    Israel shouldn't be there.
    Well too bad it is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

38. Post #1838
    You should feel bad for all the men who died in stalingrad, the majority of which didn't believe in the ideologies of the nation that they were fighting for, just that they were fighting for their homelands.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

39. Post #1839
    September 2009
    2,027 Posts
    You should feel bad for all the men who died in stalingrad, the majority of which didn't believe in the ideologies of the nation that they were fighting for, just that they were fighting for their homelands.
    Yeah, most German soldiers weren't nazis, they just thought they were fighting for a good cause, just like the German people thought it would be a good idea to elect Hitler as chancellor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events

40. Post #1840
    December 2009
    324 Posts
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christine_Chubbuck

Christine Chubbuck was an American television news reporter who committed suicide during a live television broadcast.

Again, not exactly world shaking, but I believe she was the first to commit suicide on live TV

just imagine how disturbing it'd be if you were watching the news at that time..

Does anyone have the original video of the broadcast?
    I wasn't able to find it on liveleaks or anywhere else
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)