1. Post #2081
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    12,747 Posts
    Imagine archaeologists finding that buried a few centuries from now. What must they think of us?
    Totally fucking bitching.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2082
    January 2011
    3,842 Posts
    A 2 meter and 28 centimeter long Halibut caught. (Might be around 150 kilos)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 20Funny Funny x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #2083

October 2009
    383 Posts
    seriously?... for some reason I got hard time belinving such a giant fish
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

4. Post #2084
    Annotated Reader Lapsed Pacifist
    December 2008
    12,059 Posts
    Where the hell is that guy gonna mount it? That's what I wanna know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

5. Post #2085
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    Where the hell is that guy gonna mount it? That's what I wanna know.
    He'll make it into the world's largest Big Mouth Billy Bass
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 14Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #2086
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,021 Posts

The town of Marysville destroyed in the 2009 Black Saturday bushfires in Australia.

The top image was taken just after the Victorian Black Saturday bushfire and the below image, two years later.

Also a map of areas affected.

173 people died and 414 people were wounded as a result of the bushfires.
    Its unbelievable that the cause of some of the fires were arson, and that people actually were scummy enough to loot the remains.

Also this image of Sam the Koala, that became fairly known in Australia.

It would have been fucking terrifying to have been caught in the flames.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 30 (list)

7. Post #2087
    June 2011
    1,479 Posts

The town of Marysville destroyed in the 2009 Black Saturday bushfires in Australia.

Its unbelievable that the cause of some of the fires were arson, and that people actually were scummy enough to loot the remains.

Also this image of Sam the Koala, that became fairly known in Australia.

It would have been fucking terrifying to have been caught in the flames.
    Australia is a big country, but there's not many people. Everyone here in Vic knew, or knows, someone who got caught in the fires. I knew a bloke who got killed, not a nice affair.

Edited:

Also: it wasn't the fires that killed the most, but the heat wave that preceded them. Houses would catch alight as people were packing up to leave while the flames were still kilometers away, catching the people inside.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Friendly Friendly x 8Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #2088
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,021 Posts
    Australia is a big country, but there's not many people. Everyone here in Vic knew, or knows, someone who got caught in the fires. I knew a bloke who got killed, not a nice affair.

Edited:

Also: it wasn't the fires that killed the most, but the heat wave that preceded them. Houses would catch alight as people were packing up to leave while the flames were still kilometers away, catching the people inside.
    I was almost caught in the fires, because I was on holiday when it began.
    Luckily I managed to leave before it got close.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #2089
    June 2011
    1,479 Posts
    Also - proportionately, if it was in the US, and if adjusted for population, it would've killed or injured 8086 people/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #2090
    November 2010
    174 Posts

I lived directly between the three fires in the Dandenongs, one of them was about 30 mins away from my school at one point. There were a couple of kids that hang around at the train station claiming they did it, but I think that's because they wanted to look hardcore. It was pretty bad, whenever you walked outside everything was tinted yellow from nearby smoke.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

11. Post #2091
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    December 2009
    14,782 Posts

Edited:

Yeah, I heard about the heatwave. It wasn't so much a warning as something to kill you off before you could suffer the flames.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

12. Post #2092
    August 2012
    103 Posts

The Buncefield fire was a major conflagration caused by a series of explosions on 11 December 2005 at the Hertfordshire Oil Storage Terminal, an oil storage facility located near the M1 motorway by Hemel Hempstead in Hertfordshire, England. The terminal was the fifth largest oil-products storage depot in the United Kingdom, with a capacity of about 60,000,000 imperial gallons (270 ML) of fuel. The terminal is owned by TOTAL UK Limited (60%) and Texaco (40%).
    The first and largest explosion occurred at 06:01 UTC near tank 912, which led to further explosions which eventually overwhelmed 20 large storage tanks. The emergency services announced a major emergency at 06:08 and a fire fighting effort began. The cause of the explosion seems to have been a fuel-air explosion of unusually high strength. The British Geological Survey monitored the event, which measured 2.4 on the Richter scale. News reports described the incident as the biggest of its kind in peacetime Europe and certainly the biggest such explosion in the United Kingdom since the 1974 Flixborough Disaster. The flames had been extinguished by the afternoon of 13 December 2005. However, one storage tank re-ignited that evening, which the fire-fighters left to burn rather than attempt to extinguish it again.
    The Health Protection Agency and the Major Incident Investigation Board provided advice to prevent incidents such as these in the future. The primary need is for safety measures to be in place to prevent fuel from exiting the tanks in which it is stored. Added safety measures are needed for when fuel does escape, mainly to prevent it forming a flammable vapour and stop pollutants from poisoning the environment.

-

I live 2 minutes from this, and let me tell you it was extremely fucking loud, I was only awake for a few minutes (hadn't even hopped out of bed) and BOOM!!!! I looked out of my window and I see this massive cloud of black smoke belowing from the industrial estate. Anyway the industrial estate was completely fucked, warehouses were just reduced to flimsy frames, just baron. They only started to rebuild and restore the building in 2009 to now as well.

Also how creepy is that last photo?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #2093
    March 2012
    1,001 Posts

Eyjafjallajökull Volcano in 2010. Some epic pictures. I lived pretty close to the eruption, looked damn epic, although the ash rain was probably the most horrible thing I've experienced.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Iceland Show Events Winner Winner x 18Artistic Artistic x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #2094
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    25,750 Posts
    That volcano has the most unpronounceable name in the world.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Disagree Disagree x 5Funny Funny x 2 (list)

15. Post #2095
    Annotated Reader Lapsed Pacifist
    December 2008
    12,059 Posts
    New desktop backgrounds, right there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

16. Post #2096
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    1,453 Posts

The most iconic image of the Munich Massacre in 1972
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 4Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #2097
    October 2010
    5,668 Posts
    -snip, shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

18. Post #2098
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    4,443 Posts
    Weren't the Allies actually on Japan's doorstep by the time the bombs were dropped? The battle of Okinawa finished around halfway through June '45 IIRC.
    What nobody ever seems to understand is that despite us having backed Japan down to their own islands the fight could have easily extended another year.

Millions of civilians and soldiers would have died, not to mention the risk of losing the morale of the war weary people at home. The detonations really were the best course of action to take as it saved multiple millions of lives.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

19. Post #2099
    Absolute tosser, manchild, and belligerent douche-nozzle.
    July 2006
    6,953 Posts
    The Japanese would have fought to the last man, women and child in they Allies had invaded. While I think the choice of targets was poor, it ultimately saved more lives than it took. Both Allied and Japanese lives
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

20. Post #2100
    l l
    lmao
    Dennab
    December 2011
    10,758 Posts
    I live 2 minutes from this, and let me tell you it was extremely fucking loud, I was only awake for a few minutes (hadn't even hopped out of bed) and BOOM!!!! I looked out of my window and I see this massive cloud of black smoke belowing from the industrial estate.
    This makes me wonder, is it possible for an explosion to be loud and powerful enough to be literally heard around the world?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

21. Post #2101
    What nobody ever seems to understand is that despite us having backed Japan down to their own islands the fight could have easily extended another year.

Millions of civilians and soldiers would have died, not to mention the risk of losing the morale of the war weary people at home. The detonations really were the best course of action to take as it saved multiple millions of lives.
    They could have extended it, but the US wouldn't have allowed that. The US was going to use a "Sea of Glass" tactic on Japan if they refused to sign a treaty, they'd of glassed over the entire nation, then sent in infantry to wipe out what was left. Just imagine the entire nation of japan gone, then thousands of US infantry coming home with radiation poisoning. We're lucky they surrendered when they did.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #2102
    July 2006
    6,953 Posts
    They could have extended it, but the US wouldn't have allowed that. The US was going to use a "Sea of Glass" tactic on Japan if they refused to sign a treaty, they'd of glassed over the entire nation, then sent in infantry to wipe out what was left. Just imagine the entire nation of japan gone, then thousands of US infantry coming home with radiation poisoning. We're lucky they surrendered when they did.
    Care to cite that, because it sounds like you're talking shit to me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #2103
    I Fuckin' Love Ponies
    January 2007
    6,164 Posts
    The portal to hell is opened with the incantation of good intentions.

24. Post #2104
    Dennab
    November 2009
    2,472 Posts
    This makes me wonder, is it possible for an explosion to be loud and powerful enough to be literally heard around the world?
    After reading this i was reminded of Krakatoa and went to research it some more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1883_eruption_of_Krakatoa

The explosion is considered to be the loudest sound ever heard in modern history, with reports of it being heard nearly 3,000 miles (4,800 km) from its point of origin.
    On 27 August four enormous explosions took place at 05:30, 06:44, 10:02, and 10:41 local time. The explosions were so violent that they were heard 3,500 km (2,200 mi) away in Perth, Western Australia and the Indian Ocean island of Rodrigues near Mauritius, 4,800 km (3,000 mi) away, where they were thought to be cannonfire from a nearby ship. The energy released from the explosion was equal to about 200 megatons of TNT, roughly 4 times more powerful than the Tsar Bomba, the most powerful thermonuclear weapon ever detonated by man.
    The pressure wave generated by the colossal final explosion radiated from Krakatoa at 1,086 km/h (675 mph). It was so powerful that it ruptured the eardrums of sailors on ships in the Sunda Strait. The pressure wave radiated across the globe and was recorded on barographs all over the world, which continued to register it up to 5 days after the explosion. Barograph recordings show that the shockwave from the final explosion reverberated around the globe 7 times in total.

The pressure was felt around the world, but not the sound of it. If a fuckhuge supervolcano decides to erupt violently or we manage to create bombs 50 times bigger than we already have then i assume it would be heard around the world.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 6Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #2105
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

26. Post #2106
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    12,747 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7Late Late x 4 (list)

27. Post #2107
    Since this seems to be more of a "Historical photo Thread" now, I'll post a few pictures my grandfather took while he was in the rangers in the pacific during WWII.
    My grandfather on the right, posing for a photo with a Philippines soldier.

His squad, hanging out on a beach.

squadmate, posing for a photo.

Civilians after the Philippines was liberated.

On a truck to Wakayama, Japan.

My Grandfather

Buildings in Kyoto

Souvenir shop in Kyoto

Theater in Kyoto

Pasig River, Manila.

School Children in Wakayama.

My grandfather was one of the soldiers that liberated the university of Santo Tomas. A prison camp for civilians and doctors.

Small graveyard in Santo Tomas

Truck to Wakayama

Sorry for the page dump
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 66Friendly Friendly x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #2108
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,226 Posts
    Don't apologize, those are fucking fantastic!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 24 (list)

29. Post #2109

October 2009
    383 Posts
    please more of those!

EDIT:

was your grand pa an voulunteer or was he forced?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

30. Post #2110
    black people
    April 2008
    3,934 Posts

Japan's geography made this invasion plan quite obvious to the Japanese as well; they were able to predict the Allied invasion plans accurately and thus adjust their defensive plan, Operation Ketsugō, accordingly. The Japanese planned an all-out defense of Kyūshū, with little left in reserve for any subsequent defense operations. Casualty predictions varied widely but were extremely high for both sides: depending on the degree to which Japanese civilians resisted the invasion, estimates ran into the millions for Allied casualties and several times that number for total Japanese casualties.
    ouch
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

31. Post #2111
    please more of those!

EDIT:

was your grand pa an voulunteer or was he forced?
    Thats all I got for right now, I can see if my grandmother has anymore old photo albums. I think he was drafted into the military, he was 26 with a child on the way when he left. He was considered an old man when he first got into the military, compared to all the 18 year olds being drafted.
    EDIT:
    Yep, he was drafted.

32. Post #2112
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,226 Posts
    So essentially the Japanese population fighting down to the last bomb-jacketed child, essentially.

Wow, that's pretty grim when you put it into perspective.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

33. Post #2113

August 2012
    3 Posts

(User was banned for this post ("Off-topic/shitposting" - Autumn))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #2114
    May 2011
    885 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #2115
    July 2006
    6,953 Posts
    Seem what you just cited proves the exact opposite of what you were saying

36. Post #2116
    Seem what you just cited proves the exact opposite of what you were saying
    huh? I cited how the US was planning to drop more Nukes on Japan, and the canceled invasion plans of Japan. I think one of us is misreading the others posts.

37. Post #2117
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,146 Posts

First image of GabeN with a beard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Dumb x 12Late x 5Winner x 2Agree x 1Informative x 1 (list)

38. Post #2118

May 2011
    16 Posts
    Apologies if this has already been posted here somewhere, but this is the last photo ever taken with Kodachrome, probably the most loved well-known camera film ever. The last roll was given to Steve McCurry, best known for his National Geographic photo of "The Afghan Girl".

Vanity Fair has a brief article and slideshow showing more from the last roll.
    http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/fe...201102#slide=1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #2119
    July 2009
    994 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Korea, Republic of Show Events

40. Post #2120
    (Feminazi) (Queen of the Furrys) (Girl Power!) (Massive Faggot) (Queen of the Diva's) (Women's right's activist) (The Classy Lady) (Bigger, Badder, Bronyer)
    March 2010
    1,774 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 19 (list)