1. Post #321
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    Hm.

To offer free terraria servers or not..
    Please don't.

In any case, I hope that you'll have some free GMod servers going around soon. I think it's pretty cool that you're doing this for us.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

2. Post #322
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    3,004 Posts
    don't terraria servers use tons of RAM?
    Yep. Would still be fun to do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #323
    February 2011
    186 Posts
    Darksoul, I feel like I would walk into your house and you would just have servers piled to the ceilings.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #324
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    3,004 Posts
    Yup offering small terraria servers now. Going to add that and a lot of other games to the list in the next two weeks :)

5. Post #325
    The Mullock Project
    June 2011
    2,514 Posts
    Darksoul, I feel like I would walk into your house and you would just have servers piled to the ceilings.
    his house IS servers

6. Post #326
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    576 Posts
    his house IS servers
    Darn you for making me do this...

>_>
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #327
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    3,004 Posts
    Whoops Minecraft servers are now 75% off first month / 25% off recurring cycles due to summer sale.

I'm so nice!

As a side note lots of changes coming soon to the free offerings - new servers/etc. I'm going to be putting in a system so you can get a free server for 24 hours / week or if you're looking for long term hosting you can also do that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Useful Useful x 1 (list)

8. Post #328
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    So wait, are you giving away free servers for as long as the server is populated, or is it just a set amount of time?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

9. Post #329
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    3,004 Posts
    So wait, are you giving away free servers for as long as the server is populated, or is it just a set amount of time?
    I'm planning on introducing a set amount of time so people who only want a server for a day or a week can get one without worry. Right now, it's as long as they are populated - and that will also remain optional when I start giving them away again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #330
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    I'm planning on introducing a set amount of time so people who only want a server for a day or a week can get one without worry. Right now, it's as long as they are populated - and that will also remain optional when I start giving them away again.
    Sweet. Thanks for the information.

11. Post #331
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    3,004 Posts
    No problem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

12. Post #332
    April 2011
    5,004 Posts
    so wait, how do you judge if its "populated"? players 24/7? I mean, you might have a server in which people crowd to join in the daytime and abandon at night...

In addition, what if the server is packed one day but empty the next? And then the day after that it is packed again?...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #333
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,852 Posts
    Inactive server:

Active server:

Obviously there is room in between but in general if the server is empty most of the time it's inactive.
    hopefully that helps a bit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

14. Post #334
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    3,004 Posts
    So far:

six hour lets play servers consisting of Minecraft, Terraria, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2 and Killing Floor.

I'm trying to find other games for this so please make some suggestions. There is no limitation on this regarding Facepunch and anyone will be able to pick one of these up at any point in time.

15. Post #335
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,852 Posts
    will you host beta servers when Linux actually launches?

16. Post #336
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    3,004 Posts
    will you host beta servers when Linux actually launches?
    I'm not really keeping up with the Garry's Mod beta but I don't see why not. Someone will need to tell me when it's actually supported though so I can get that setup.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #337
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    3,004 Posts
    Come on guys hit me. I want to give out a large server with an active playerbase. Anything is available - PM me and make your request. I'd be willing to shove a 8GB minecraft server your way if you actually had the playerbase.

I may even be able to give you a dedicated server if it will be used

Request away and don't be afraid!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

18. Post #338
    I call in friends to rate KatNotDinner dumb (lol)
    December 2011
    1,652 Posts
    *Wishes he had a playerbase*
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #339
    JamieH is a retarded bitch <3
    July 2008
    2,213 Posts
    Hmmmmm ;)

Top tier Xeon E3 or E5-16XX CPU
    8GB(or more) Ram
    2xHDD (raid0)
    1Gb network -
    Hardware firewall, preferably with DPI (deep packet inspection).

I could populate a server if it was to those specs, as that is what I currently lease. But then again this is supposed to be for communities starting up :).

Although this post was more of a jest, I would like to ask how a host even survives with Gmod these days without some hardware firewall configurations. I only know of 1 host with utilises a decent DPI firewall, one that allows user submitted ACLs, which isn't really cheap to run on a grand scale.
    I don't run DPI on my UK services, but we do have some fun firewall configs, but life is so much easier with it on our US boxes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

20. Post #340
    Glod Menber
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,249 Posts
    Inactive server:

Active server:

Obviously there is room in between but in general if the server is empty most of the time it's inactive.
    lol, is that first one mine?

Edited:

and the only issue about starting a community is the fact that it's difficult to obtain a playerbase, so it seems

getting the actual server itself is a small portion of the problem

21. Post #341
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,183 Posts
    I personally don't think it's that difficult to obtain a playerbase, I had a server up for about an hour or two once to test a theory and it was nearly half full and started gaining people the second I opened it. Believe it or not but I had people come in and tell me the server was perfect for them and whatever their needs were (mainly because I wasn't that restrictive of what people could use, unlike some servers), although it fell flat because it was unreliable as it was hosted on a low-grade VPS. I think you just need to know how to run it, I'm not boasting but if you appeal to players I think your server will catch their attention, maybe not straight away but over time you may form some kind of playerbase if you're reliable enough and don't have stupid admins, title and actually come across as being mature and in control without abusing that control. The screenshot below was taken when it started filling up.

JokerIce is a perfect example of this working.

22. Post #342
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    3,004 Posts
    Although this post was more of a jest, I would like to ask how a host even survives with Gmod these days without some hardware firewall configurations. I only know of 1 host with utilises a decent DPI firewall, one that allows user submitted ACLs, which isn't really cheap to run on a grand scale.
    I don't run DPI on my UK services, but we do have some fun firewall configs, but life is so much easier with it on our US boxes.
    My minecraft servers have been hit more then my gmod ones. I got a 3Gbps attack a few days ago on one of my minecraft clients and the guy hitting me called me and admitted to doing it and demanded that I do this and that or he wouldn't stop.

I guess he had to stop though since it stopped out of the blue?

Anyway, I'm looking into DDoS mitigation services right now as a option for my clients. Limestone is great at stopping attacks but it's not something I want to burden them with in the long run. It's not a huge concern for me at the moment though since I can just null route the IP being hit (which sucks, but we're talking about someone only paying $21/month for a 32 slot server on gmod. By no means should you expect the host to put up with that kind of attack at that low price.)

lol, is that first one mine?

Edited:

and the only issue about starting a community is the fact that it's difficult to obtain a playerbase, so it seems

getting the actual server itself is a small portion of the problem
    It's not yours.

I personally don't think it's that difficult to obtain a playerbase, I had a server up for about an hour or two once to test a theory and it was nearly half full and started gaining people the second I opened it. Believe it or not but I had people come in and tell me the server was perfect for them and whatever their needs were (mainly because I wasn't that restrictive of what people could use, unlike some servers), although it fell flat because it was unreliable as it was hosted on a low-grade VPS. I think you just need to know how to run it, I'm not boasting but if you appeal to players I think your server will catch their attention, maybe not straight away but over time you may form some kind of playerbase if you're reliable enough and don't have stupid admins, title and actually come across as being mature and in control without abusing that control. The screenshot below was taken when it started filling up.

JokerIce is a perfect example of this working.
    Gmod needs raw CPU power. Depending on the node configuration a VPS may or may not be able to run a small gmod server decently - in most cases, there either isn't enough spare CPU for the server to run lagless or the host will terminate you for the CPU usage.

Most of the GSP out there (and yes even VPS providers) still use older hardware, and that's understandable since it's a hassle to upgrade and if they colocate expensive. The E3 series blows the crap out of the X3440-X3470 and the V2 of the E3's are significantly faster then the first generation.

But yes it's incredibly easy to get players - all it takes is a decent server and decent administration that is actually on the server.

23. Post #343
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,183 Posts
    How would an SVN updater/FastDL system work? I remember it being relatively easy to use on a VPS but I'm just wondering how it would compare with this system, if there's an automated service or I would have to set it up manually through FTP or the like.

24. Post #344
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    3,004 Posts
    How would an SVN updater/FastDL system work? I remember it being relatively easy to use on a VPS but I'm just wondering how it would compare with this system, if there's an automated service or I would have to set it up manually through FTP or the like.
    There is no SVN system currently in place. For FastDL, it's setup automatically with every server - you can sync files by hitting "Sync FastDL" in the control panel which will sync every file on your Garry's Mod server to the FastDL server.

25. Post #345
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,183 Posts
    There is no SVN system currently in place.
    If I was to purchase a server would there be any way I would be able to set this up myself? I'm not familiar with this as I just know from experimenting with a VPS so I'm not sure what kind of access I would have or if there's anyway I could make this possible. If the answer is no would you ever consider implementing such a system in future?

26. Post #346
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    3,004 Posts
    If I was to purchase a server would there be any way I would be able to set this up myself? I'm not familiar with this as I just know from experimenting with a VPS so I'm not sure what kind of access I would have or if there's anyway I could make this possible. If the answer is no would you ever consider implementing such a system in future?
    You'd need to upload the SVN files with a FTP client like FileZilla. I'd rather give you the server for free though so sign up but don't pay the invoice and then PM me what email you registered under and I'll mark it as free.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #347
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,183 Posts
    You'd need to upload the SVN files with a FTP client like FileZilla. I'd rather give you the server for free though so sign up but don't pay the invoice and then PM me what email you registered under and I'll mark it as free.
    Which means I'd have to manually update it and upload it again each time there's a new update, depending on the size and time it will take to upload this would be a pretty inefficient method of doing it. I would rather have an SVN updater in place so I can just run it before starting my server and ensure all addons are up to date and in perfect working order. If there isn't one in place and I'm not able to do it myself somehow would you consider adding such a system in future?

I don't want to be obligated to have active players which was my main reason for not taking you up on your very generous offer incase my theory falls flat this time, I also wouldn't want it to randomly go down one day without any notice and don't have the time to manage it in a consistent way at this time. By paying I can pretty much ensure that I'll have continued and active service regardless since I'm actually paying.

28. Post #348
    May 2006
    148 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #349
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    3,004 Posts
    There really isn't much I can do to add a SVN updater since TC-Admin 2.0 is closed source. Sorry man :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #350
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,183 Posts
    There really isn't much I can do to add a SVN updater since TC-Admin 2.0 is closed source. Sorry man :/
    If the servers run on Linux can't you simply install subversion and then just give users access to be able to run svn update in their local addons directory?

31. Post #351
    DaemonServers UK
    April 2009
    435 Posts

If you've got the time it can be added by using the install script method so when a mod is installed via the mod manager it runs the relevant SVN creation CMD lines.

The only downside to this method is that until they add a "Update" button the user would have to Uninstall then install the addon again to get the latest version of the SVN.

32. Post #352
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    3,004 Posts
    If you've got the time it can be added by using the install script method so when a mod is installed via the mod manager it runs the relevant SVN creation CMD lines.

The only downside to this method is that until they add a "Update" button the user would have to Uninstall then install the addon again to get the latest version of the SVN.
    Hence my reluctance. :)

33. Post #353
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    3,004 Posts
    https://www.elpishost.com/clients/in...art/&cat_id=10

Ah the joy of finally entering the dedicated server part of hosting :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #354
    JamieH is a retarded bitch <3
    July 2008
    2,213 Posts
    Most of the GSP out there (and yes even VPS providers) still use older hardware, and that's understandable since it's a hassle to upgrade and if they colocate expensive. The E3 series blows the crap out of the X3440-X3470 and the V2 of the E3's are significantly faster then the first generation.

But yes it's incredibly easy to get players - all it takes is a decent server and decent administration that is actually on the server.

I didn't think the V2 was that much more powerfull, 5-10% at a push is what I read. I run all my servers on the E3 generation with HT turn off currently, I was going to wait for the new cores next year to upgrade.
    I might ask NFO if they have any V2 boxes coming in soon though and swap my VDS(VPS) hardware over.

35. Post #355
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    3,004 Posts
    I didn't think the V2 was that much more powerfull, 5-10% at a push is what I read. I run all my servers on the E3 generation with HT turn off currently, I was going to wait for the new cores next year to upgrade.
    I might ask NFO if they have any V2 boxes coming in soon though and swap my VDS(VPS) hardware over.
    It's around 15%-20% faster.

36. Post #356
    Glod Menber
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,249 Posts
    holy shit, you bumped my 10 slot psw to 40 slot out of the blue?

although probably a mistake, if not, thank you mate.

37. Post #357
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    3,004 Posts
    holy shit, you bumped my 10 slot psw to 40 slot out of the blue?

although probably a mistake, if not, thank you mate.
    I don't even know what server is yours.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #358
    Glod Menber
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,249 Posts
    sounds good to me

39. Post #359
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    3,004 Posts

Now isn't that worth the $28?

Woo.

If anyone needs a free 1GB MC server and has a community PM me.

40. Post #360
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    1,285 Posts

Now isn't that worth the $28?

Woo.

If anyone needs a free 1GB MC server and has a community PM me.
    that's my server, and I can guarantee that it is the best $28 I have spent all year
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)