1. Post #1
    October 2011
    1,281 Posts
    Use this thread if you cant find a part, need advice on a good part, or if your confused on what to slap on to your car next!

Rules :
    1) Only use constructive criticism
    - DON'T : "that muffler sucks lol"
    - DO : "Ive found FlowMasters to be a good muffler for V6 engines and i'm not sure your suggestion one would be a good one. <link>"
    2) No scams or begging
    - DON'T : "PWEEESE VISIT MY WEBSITE I JUST OPENED AND I NEED HELP"
    3) Buyer beware of all services or products you purchase, not all people are good at sizing up product quality

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lets start with my own request:

What would be a good set of wheels for my planned 86?

(for those who aren't familiar)

Im thinking some white Sparco Assetto Garas

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,357 Posts
    TE 37V look p good really, not sure where you can buy them tho.

those are for if you're going for a more "retro" look I guess, otherwise I'd say regular TE-37s look p good aswell.

tho both are p expensive.

Edited:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    578 Posts
    TE 37V look p good really, not sure where you can buy them tho.
    You can get them at Nengun: http://www.nengun.com/rays/volk-racing-te37v

Watanabe RS (my favourite)

Work Equip 01

Work Equip 03
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    October 2011
    1,281 Posts
    Holy cow.... Thank you for showing me this website!

As for the wheels I may go with the wantabes since it really is the heritage option, or the TE-37s if I can get them in black or white.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    578 Posts
    This is another good site if you're looking for Japanese aftermarket parts: http://www.rhdjapan.com/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,357 Posts
    Holy cow.... Thank you for showing me this website!

As for the wheels I may go with the wantabes since it really is the heritage option, or the TE-37s if I can get them in black or white.
    I've seen on their own website that you can order them in any colour for 3000 yen more.

7. Post #7
    October 2011
    1,281 Posts
    Alright, I'm going with some F8 Type 16' gloss black Watanabes, running in at a cool 660 per wheel.

Now I need to find a retailer.

8. Post #8
    December 2011
    1,964 Posts
    Yo mang me and my boy jose can hook you up with some rotas we built in our basement mang.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    5,665 Posts
    stock
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    4,322 Posts
    You can get them at Nengun: http://www.nengun.com/rays/volk-racing-te37v

Watanabe RS (my favourite)

Why do so many of the customized '70s-'90s Japanese sports cars have that gap on the back of the hood? Is it just a style?

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    Why do so many of the customized '70s-'90s Japanese sports cars have that gap on the back of the hood? Is it just a style?
    Vented, so the heat from the engine bay can flow out easier. It helps a lot on turbocharged setups with small rads and big turbos.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    4,068 Posts
    This is my kinda thread.

Anyone with good experience give out info about starter mods? I just got a 240sx, needs a rebuild, but once done, what are some things to look at first? Need help with new seats and steering wheel also

OP, go with rims like these:

one color would pull the multi-colored shell

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    SR20
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    5,665 Posts
    RB26

Edited:

LS7
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    July 2011
    1,298 Posts
    ls#

16. Post #16
    Premature Joculation
    April 2009
    7,755 Posts
    Where's a good place to look for aftermarket parts for a 1972 Ford Pinto?

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    As far as body, that's a DIY business right there.

As far as engine, swap that Pinto heap out for a Lima OHC out of the 1974+ Pinto and 1978+ Mustang. Better still get the full wiring harness out of a later EFI/MPFI 2.3 Lima Mustang and the engine and swap it over, that alone opens a WORLD of aftermarket performance bolt-ons, something the older Pinto engine just doesn't have much of anymore.

18. Post #18
    Premature Joculation
    April 2009
    7,755 Posts
    Alright, there's not really anything wrong with the body besides a few small surface rust spots. The engines a mess though. Radiator is shot, plus some other stuff, so I'll probably go about trying to find some of those alternatives you mentioned.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    Yeah, definitely worth the swap to a Mustang/Pinto Lima 2.3 OHC motor, if you can find a carb'd one, it's a direct bolt-in process, yank your motor out, drop it in, bolt it up and take off.

As far as a radiator, you can still pick up brass ones, but finding an aftermarket aluminum one and fabbing up some brackets would be a cool alternative, and probably a tiny bit cheaper in the long run if you fab everything up yourself and get the rad pretty cheap.

20. Post #20
    October 2008
    428 Posts
    This is my kinda thread.

Anyone with good experience give out info about starter mods? I just got a 240sx, needs a rebuild, but once done, what are some things to look at first? Need help with new seats and steering wheel also

OP, go with rims like these:

one color would pull the multi-colored shell
    S14 seats are nice
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Premature Joculation
    April 2009
    7,755 Posts
    Yeah, definitely worth the swap to a Mustang/Pinto Lima 2.3 OHC motor, if you can find a carb'd one, it's a direct bolt-in process, yank your motor out, drop it in, bolt it up and take off.
    How much do these usually cost? Obviously I'll have to go through everything with my dad to see if it's worth replacing everything or just the radiator, but I'll keep this option in mind.

Edited:

Just talked to my dad, he said that he already planned on doing the engine swap, so that's cool.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    Awesome. Your dad knows what he's doing then.

The old pre-74 Pinto engines were boat anchors.

23. Post #23
    Dennab
    July 2009
    7,650 Posts
    Anyone know a good, but cheap lift kit I can use on my blazer? Like i said, the kid who owned it before did a nigger-rigged job. And a good exhaust kit. I want some duals that come out before the rear wheel, like my gmc's. I missed having those. I almost miss having it loud. Oh, and a good intake.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Premature Joculation
    April 2009
    7,755 Posts
    Awesome. Your dad knows what he's doing then.

The old pre-74 Pinto engines were boat anchors.
    Yeah, I walked up to my dad and was like, "Hey pops, we should totally put a 2.3..."
    "Lima in the Pinto? Yeah I know, it's on my to-do list."

I walked away all .
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    December 2009
    517 Posts
    I really like the retro japanese wheels on AE86s, like SSR Formula Mesh, which you can have repainted in any color you want.

As well as Hoshino Impul G5's.

I wish i had the money for a hachi. They are such beautiful cars.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    Anyone know a good, but cheap lift kit I can use on my blazer? Like i said, the kid who owned it before did a nigger-rigged job. And a good exhaust kit. I want some duals that come out before the rear wheel, like my gmc's. I missed having those. I almost miss having it loud. Oh, and a good intake.
    Lift kit -- I don't know, I have never felt that bad about my manhood to need one

Echaust -- Have an exhaust shop throw some duals on there, exhaust kits never end up sounding like you want them to

Intake -- Do you actually mean intake or do you mean a stupid pipe to come off of the throttlebody? If you meant a real intake manifold, then Edelbrock Performer TBI is the normal route people take, GM Performance also makes them but they cost $$$$$, personally I'd go Holley, because it's the cheapest and Holley is just a brand I really like as far as intake and fuel systems go. Besides, the Holley intake is just their bigass carbed intake with EFI holes drilled in it. You can't get much better!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    December 2011
    1,964 Posts
    HOLLEY OR BUST YOUNG LADS!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,357 Posts
    I really like the retro japanese wheels on AE86s, like SSR Formula Mesh, which you can have repainted in any color you want.

As well as Hoshino Impul G5's.

I wish i had the money for a hachi. They are such beautiful cars.

I bought mine for 2k USD...

there's only a hole just below the door on the right side, and some rust in the door frame(probably not called this, name totally escaped me) on the left side, then it needs putting back together

so all in all not that expensive, even got like 1.5 scrapped AE86 and a set of alloy wheels with it.

I think I have 10 mirrors for it

29. Post #29
    December 2009
    517 Posts
    I bought mine for 2k USD...

there's only a hole just below the door on the right side, and some rust in the door frame(probably not called this, name totally escaped me) on the left side, then it needs putting back together

so all in all not that expensive, even got like 1.5 scrapped AE86 and a set of alloy wheels with it.

I think I have 10 mirrors for it
    Here in Ohio you can rarely find them. I have considered buying one from the west coast and having it shipped over though. I'm just broke as fuck.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    2,233 Posts
    Im looking at slapping a turbo on my 2rz tacoma. The engine's got 150,000 miles and I've heard I should get a reinforced headgasket, struts, and pistons as well as a better fuel injection system. Any help? Also, how much would it cost to get it installed.

31. Post #31
    July 2011
    88 Posts
    Im looking at slapping a turbo on my 2rz tacoma. The engine's got 150,000 miles and I've heard I should get a reinforced headgasket, struts, and pistons as well as a better fuel injection system. Any help? Also, how much would it cost to get it installed.
    I don't think it's a good idea to install a turbo on a car with that mileage, it will cost you alot of money to install/ replace parts, especially when you won't be doing it yourself.. is it worth it? You'll really need to reinforce it or you'll blow it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Belgium Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    4,068 Posts
    A turbo system puts a tremendous strain on your engine. If it has problems already, it will make them worse. Plus the fact that you have to replace almost everything in your engine to even get it to work. Perhaps some custom fabrication as well. You can't just eBay tyte it up, with stuff like turbo kits you have to go the brand-name. Costs upwards from $1000-2000 for a decent starter kit too. That doesn't count other replacements as well. ECU, hoses, exhaust, exhaust manifold, coilover suspension system, etc. Lots of stuff.

Research.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    2,464 Posts
    i slapped a (different) turbo on my thing and it's fine

lol cast internals

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    You can't just eBay tye it up, with stuff like turbo kits you have to go the brand-name.
    I lol'd hard.

35. Post #35
    GOLF WANG
    August 2006
    7,587 Posts
    Schmidt TH

BUT ON MY NA MIATA

YES NO

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    Too wide, too flush. Ehhhhhhh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    POLITICAN
    August 2008
    6,831 Posts
    Chevy Diamond Cuts

Spoke rims are my favorite. Or Ford Steelies
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    GOLF WANG
    August 2006
    7,587 Posts
    They look plastic man.

Edited:

Too wide, too flush. Ehhhhhhh.
    I wouldn't stretch that wide.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    Get some that are a bit thinner and don't stretch at all. Maybe slightly. But yeah. The stretch look on those wheels... THat flush.... ehhhhhhh

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,357 Posts
    personally I hate that kind of rim on any car so I'd say no, but that's my opinion.