1. Post #81
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    2,127 Posts
    Can anyone still tell me please about the dangers of upgrading and losing Windows? This is the one thing stopping me, I can't risk to lose my work and games because as much as I want this I will still need to dual boot to windows every so often
    Well you should back up all your stuff obviously, but the best case scenario for installing OSX to prevent damage to windows would to be to install it to a separate physical drive if at all possible.

2. Post #82
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,730 Posts
    Well you should back up all your stuff obviously, but the best case scenario for installing OSX to prevent damage to windows would to be to install it to a separate physical drive if at all possible.
    I only have one drive, my parents are thinking of buying a 1TB hard drive because we need to shift their old computer files to another drive. I think I'll wait until I get a job so I can buy OSX and get another hard drive.

3. Post #83

June 2011
    86 Posts
    Can anyone recommend me a good laptop for Hackintoshing?
    I'm looking for at least an i5 and a good screen between 13 and 15 inch. I'm not too bothered about the hard drive and memory as I can upgrade the RAM myself and will be putting in a SSD my self.
    I'm looking to pay some where between 500-600

4. Post #84
    I am no one's bitch now! AHAHA!
    October 2008
    4,139 Posts
    Sorry to bump this. but i got a question but is it true that if you try updating your hackintosh with mac os x update will it break it?

5. Post #85

August 2012
    1 Posts
    I Have the same motherboard as you i really want to install os x on my computer can you explain how you did it

6. Post #86
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2007
    4,426 Posts
    If you're using custom kexts it can sometimes break the hackintosh when you update

7. Post #87
    1 Dollar
    June 2005
    1,902 Posts
    How well are synaptic touchpads supported? On a hackintosh laptop can you do any of the multitouch commands?
    Going to test later tonight if I can get Mountain Lion running on my Sager Np9150. Chose this over a macbook pro for the price per $. Quad i7m, 16gb of ram and a gtx 670m should wreck osx.

8. Post #88
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,115 Posts
    Sorry to bump this. but i got a question but is it true that if you try updating your hackintosh with mac os x update will it break it?
    I haven't had any problems with OS X updates in Lion or Snow Leopard. However, it seems that the preferred method is that instead of updating through OS X updates, you download the update combos from Apple's site.

Edited:

How well are synaptic touchpads supported? On a hackintosh laptop can you do any of the multitouch commands?
    Going to test later tonight if I can get Mountain Lion running on my Sager Np9150. Chose this over a macbook pro for the price per $. Quad i7m, 16gb of ram and a gtx 670m should wreck osx.
    There's some Synaptic kexts that supposedly support it, but I unfortunately don't have any laptop to try this on.

I can't find any guides for that laptop, so I'd suggest the UniBeast method. I've had a lot of success with it. Unfortunately, though, you need a working OS X install to do it. You could possibly do this in a virtual machine.

Edited:

I Have the same motherboard as you i really want to install os x on my computer can you explain how you did it
    I updated the OP with my new build. Unfortuantely, I ditched the ASUS motherboard and AMD processor because it's quite a pain to get AMD builds functioning with OS X (at least for me). I spent a lot of time on that, and when I finally got it working with chocolate_kernel on Snow Leopard, I would still get occasional kernel panics and I never really knew why.

If you're serious about making a hackintosh, I unfortunately have to recommend you get an Intel processor/motherboard. Then, you can use the vanilla (stock) OS X kernel, instead of a patched and modified one.

9. Post #89
    Dennab
    November 2011
    1,860 Posts
    P8Z68-V LX, i5 2500k, 8GB DDR3 and 1 GTX560 TI on 10.7.4 running completely flawlessly, I love it. If anyone is on similar specs and wants to know how I got everything working then let me know.

10. Post #90
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,878 Posts
    Sorry for the bump. But I just installed 10.7.2 on my notebook. Everything is working fine, except the graphics saying I have an "Unknown nVidia card". I'm using an NVEnabler kext, which has a string called "model", but it doesn't work when I inject the name of the card. I've also tried to use the Chameleon graphics enabler, which worked fine, except for the fact that it doesn't support the notebook's native resolution.

11. Post #91
    Master Captain
    August 2010
    2,020 Posts
    Would it be a good idea to try and set up dual-boot with Win7 and OSX?
    This would be on an Asus laptop with an intel/nvidia setup.

I have the feeling this question should be more "How bad of an idea is this?"

Specs:

i7-3610QM (3rd gen i7)
    GeForce GTX 670M
    12GB DDR3 1600
    And the motherboard, according to CPU-Z... (Not quite sure what to make of it):

Edited:

This is probably a dumb question, but... Would I have to worry about OSX not recognizing how my cooling system works and not making my fans run?

Edited:

Oh shit, didn't notice the last post was 3 weeks late. My bad for re-bumping an old thread.

12. Post #92
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    793 Posts
    Would it be a good idea to try and set up dual-boot with Win7 and OSX?
    This would be on an Asus laptop with an intel/nvidia setup.

I have the feeling this question should be more "How bad of an idea is this?"

Specs:

i7-3610QM (3rd gen i7)
    GeForce GTX 670M
    12GB DDR3 1600
    And the motherboard, according to CPU-Z... (Not quite sure what to make of it):

Edited:

This is probably a dumb question, but... Would I have to worry about OSX not recognizing how my cooling system works and not making my fans run?

Edited:

Oh shit, didn't notice the last post was 3 weeks late. My bad for re-bumping an old thread.
    Your cooling system is built into the Mobo, I don't foresee you having any problems.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #93
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    5,459 Posts
    I can't watch youtube on iATKOS S3 V2. There's no video + the audio stutters a lot.

Any idea's what's causing this?

Seems to just be on chrome.

14. Post #94
    October 2011
    2,585 Posts
    My workstation PC is:
    i7 970
    GA-X58A-UD3R
    Quadro 3700
    12 GB Ram
    60GB Sata SSD
    Antec 550 watt PSU

Would I be able to run hackintosh on that without driver issues?

15. Post #95
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2007
    4,426 Posts
    Not sure how well supported the quadro gpus are but the rest should be ok

16. Post #96
    Ask me about my secret society of Jihadist Mexican Lobsters
    July 2010
    1,244 Posts
    Not sure how well supported the quadro gpus are but the rest should be ok

I think they sell Mac Pros with the option of Quadro GPUs, it may be compatible.

Speaking of compatibility, do you think I could get a Hackintosh running on a FX Bulldozer AMD CPU?

17. Post #97
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2007
    4,426 Posts
    It might be possible but you would have to patch the kernel. If you have the option of choosing between an intel processor, it would be highly recommended to use an intel one