1. Post #1
    July 2010
    3,445 Posts
    Hello, I started playing guitar 1 1/2 months ago. I practice when ever I have free time (usually 9 hours on weekdays and 13 hours on weekends)This is me playing some shit.
    Feedback please? I'm also self-taught.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcP2..._3uyUVjXUPU%3D

EDIT: Mediatags are fucked. :smith:

2. Post #2
    August 2009
    676 Posts
    you're actually pretty damn good. my friend has been playing guitar for about 4 months and he can play 1/6th of a scale
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    July 2010
    3,445 Posts
    you're actually pretty damn good. my friend has been playing guitar for about 4 months and he can play 1/6th of a scale
    Thanks man

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,914 Posts
    You need to play more cleanly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    135 Posts
    Sounds like ass for supposedly 459 hours of practice
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    bora: I saved you from seeing my crazy salami nipples
    November 2007
    1,386 Posts
    You need to play more cleanly.
    This.
    Sounds good, you could try practicing more slowly from now on and then pick up the pace.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member

February 2006
    6 Posts
    For half a months worth of practice this is not bad. Just make sure you don't pick up bad habbits.

Since you haven't developed good technique yet you should take it much slower, drill scales over and over and make sure each note sounds perfect.

It might be less obvious of wrong notes and what not when you're playing fast, but when you slow it down, people will really hear it.

tl;dr: Start slow, perfect your technique, play fast :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    143 Posts
    Practice without distortion, it's hiding your mistakes.

Also, you should be using your practice time constructively, hitting a guitar for 13 hours a day amounts to nothing if you aren't actually focusing on something. Try playing songs by ear (with your distortion off) or learn some theory.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    July 2010
    3,445 Posts
    Sounds like ass for supposedly 459 hours of practice
    Well obviously I've only been practice like that (all day everyday) for maybe, 3 weeks? And I can't do it like that everyday. Just really often, maybe 5 days a week.

Edited:

For half a months worth of practice this is not bad. Just make sure you don't pick up bad habbits.

Since you haven't developed good technique yet you should take it much slower, drill scales over and over and make sure each note sounds perfect.

It might be less obvious of wrong notes and what not when you're playing fast, but when you slow it down, people will really hear it.

tl;dr: Start slow, perfect your technique, play fast :)
    Will do, I've only slowed down while on really weird, fast parts (like twice) with a metronome.

Edited:

Practice without distortion, it's hiding your mistakes.

Also, you should be using your practice time constructively, hitting a guitar for 13 hours a day amounts to nothing if you aren't actually focusing on something. Try playing songs by ear (with your distortion off) or learn some theory.
    I'm currently learning the basics of theory and I've turned off dist. I'll upload another video soon, maybe tomorrow. (Don't expect all new songs though )

10. Post #10

January 2012
    99 Posts
    I don't mean to be a douche, but you really shouldn't be trying to play some of that stuff with that little practice. My advice, if you want speed in solos, start with a minor pentatonic and just use economy picking. Easiest way to get fast quick; then you start practicing speed picking. Just DON'T start with speed picking. Also work on your bends. I'd start clean and slow and work your way up. It's fun to dick around with distortion, but it doesn't help you learn to play super cleanly (then again I always screwed around with distortion when I was learning...).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    April 2012
    3,422 Posts
    My advice is to learn how to play what you are playing very cleanly. And like others have said, you're better off practicing well for an hour a day, than burning yourself out dicking around for 9+ hours.

Long =/= better for practice, especially if it's not a program.

Also, check this site out http://musicdiscipline.com/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    July 2011
    398 Posts
    [QUOTE=killover;35681102]Hello, I started playing guitar 1 1/2 months ago. I practice when ever I have free time (usually 9 hours on weekdays and 13 hours on weekends)This is me playing some shit.
    Feedback please? I'm also self-taught.

It sounds okay for half a month of practice, but you really need to slow down and sharpen up. This sounds kinda sloppy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)