1. Post #1
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    [release]

Codename:
    Ubuntu 12.10 finally has a codename - Quantal Quetzal.

Writing (in lavish quantities of alliteration) on his blog, Mark Shuttleworth gave reasoning behind the codename for the Ubuntu 12.10 release, which, he says, will largely focus around ‘Quality’.

Release Date:

What will you be doing come October 18th, 2012? I’m not psychic, but there’s a very good chance you’ll be downloading Ubuntu 12.10.

The date comes from the tentative release schedule for the post-Precise release, which has been published online.

In keeping with the last few development cycles a total of 3 alphas and 2 beta releases are planned.

Alpha 1 is pegged for release on June 7th, with the first beta following a few months later on September 6th.

The full list of dates is as follows, but do be aware that they are subject to change.

Alpha 1 – June 7th
    Alpha 2 - June 28th
    Alpha 3 - August 2nd
    Beta 1 - September 6th
    Beta 2 - September 27th
    Ubuntu 12.10 - October 18th

Codename source

Release date source
    [/release]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Dennab
    August 2011
    2,159 Posts
    That name made me automatically cringe.

Quantal Quetzal? Someone has had to be high while thinking about that name. And even if it is based off a beautiful bird... seriously? It sounds almost like something from the Star Wars :L

My brain is full of fuck again... but about the Ubuntu, let's hope it will be less buggy this time. I was literally ripping off my hair in the 11.10 and 12.04 Final Beta.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    My brain is full of fuck again... but about the Ubuntu, let's hope it will be less buggy this time. I was literally ripping off my hair in the 11.10 and 12.04 Final Beta.
    Being that 12.04 is an LTS release, they have been bug-squashing like crazy, more than usual. And with Unity 5.8, Kernel 3.3, and Gnome 3.4, this release is fabulous so far.

4. Post #4
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,470 Posts
    Going away from the name, I can't wait for the release.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    I thought they used names starting with alphabetically ascending letters?

It seems like they just decided to skip all the way to Q
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts

The letter Q definitely comes right after P, they're not using a non-standard alphabet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    q0q
    February 2012
    699 Posts
    Going away from the name, I can't wait for the release.
    because a name totally is descriptive of stability, features, quality of interface, and ability to easily modify configs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    The letter Q definitely comes right after P, they're not using a non-standard alphabet.
    oh lol, I went and looked up the release history and they are indeed up to Q.

Edited:

I could've sworn they were only up to M or something

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    oh lol, I went and looked up the release history and they are indeed up to Q.

Edited:

I could've sworn they were only up to M or something
    That's quite a blunder.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,470 Posts
    Uuuh.
    Just opened my update center and 12.04 LTS is out.

Lol, i bet i'm late on this one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Denmark Show Events Late Late x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    I've used Ubuntu since 7.04 Feisty Fawn, and I love it.

13. Post #13
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    I'm really looking forward to (hopefully) some better OpenCL support and hopefully some better 'drivers' for AMD/ATi GPUs. I still have trouble running a few games on Linux :\