1. Post #4441
    [B][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacos"]Tacos![/URL][/B]
    April 2008
    5,450 Posts
    Well, for the ending to be completely fixed they'd essentially have to scrap it and start from scratch, which is unrealistic. For what they had to work with, I think they did a good job of patching things up and providing closure. I've got a few gripes here and there (I still don't like the StarChild and probably never will), but they're satisfying enough for me to feel like I accomplished something now.
    It's the stargazer that I have a problem with. Who the hell is he and what is his purpose? Assuming you got a game over ending and the galaxy got royally fucked. How does this guy know about Shepard? I don't think Liara left all of his/her mission details in the black box. And assuming you won, well okay he's telling this kid how everyone almost died once. As well as many sex stories. But why? It makes me think that in reality nothing actually happened and that everything we saw was actually a story being told by some old fart who couldn't figure out when he was making plot holes in his own story. Not like he gives a shit, he's talking to a kid that's probably paying attention to half of the story anyways.

So one on hand, he's real and he somehow knows what happened in a previous cycle. On the other hand...THE FUCK!?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

2. Post #4442
    Original 300 elitist.
    January 2005
    2,167 Posts
    Eargasm.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #4443
    Lots Of Speculation For Everyone
    April 2008
    1,832 Posts
    I'm pretty sure nuclear weapons were used on Japan in WW2 because the wanted a quick and effective way of making them insta-surrender. America didn't really want any more of their troops on the line.

The real death count of WW2 was on the eastern front.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

4. Post #4444
    November 2010
    5,747 Posts
    The death count was only there because of how the Red Army operated

pretty much imperial guard
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #4445
    June 2010
    5,526 Posts
    I want a game based on the First Contact War, god dammit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

6. Post #4446
    November 2010
    5,747 Posts
    I doubt you could pull more than a linear shooter from it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

7. Post #4447
    April 2008
    1,832 Posts
    I wanna see expansion pack sized DLC that doesn't have you play Sheperd but say; A Turian soldier on Palaven or an Asari commando on Thessia, and then at the end showing a more detailed 'ending' of what happens to thessia.palaven after Shep does they're thing on the citadel.

That would be kinda cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #4448
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    19,046 Posts
    to me the new endings were kind of like putting bandages on a wound that's already infected, they didn't focus on the main problems.

The infected appendage needed to be amputated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

9. Post #4449
    April 2008
    1,832 Posts
    The infected appendage needed to be amputated.
    Oh, I see what you did there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #4450
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,727 Posts
    I'm pretty sure nuclear weapons were used on Japan in WW2 because the wanted a quick and effective way of making them insta-surrender. America didn't really want any more of their troops on the line.

The real death count of WW2 was on the eastern front.
    It was actually really just a display of might. Before Germany fell the US had plans to nuke them too, but after their surrender the US turned all of their bombing plans on Japan - they didn't really care who they had to nuke, they just wanted to unleash their super weapon on one of the enemy and basically just go, "look what we can do, don't mess with us."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

11. Post #4451
    June 2010
    5,526 Posts
    One question.

Is that supposed to be a collar of some sorts on Mordin's armor?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

12. Post #4452
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    3,114 Posts
    It was actually really just a display of might. Before Germany fell the US had plans to nuke them too, but after their surrender the US turned all of their bombing plans on Japan - they didn't really care who they had to nuke, they just wanted to unleash their super weapon on one of the enemy and basically just go, "look what we can do, don't mess with us."
    Why the theory of 'US just wants to dickwave with nukes'?

Is it too hard to believe that the US just didn't want to throw thousands of troops to their deaths in an invasion of Japan, and explored alternative options?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

13. Post #4453
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,727 Posts
    Why the theory of 'US just wants to dickwave with nukes'?

Is it too hard to believe that the US just didn't want to throw thousands of troops to their deaths in an invasion of Japan, and explored alternative options?
    No, that literally was the reason. It's not a theory. Germany was their primary target before Hitler committed suicide and Germany surrendered. The second Germany was out of the picture, the US turned their sights on Japan.

It was a show of power, it was basically a way to let the world know that the US was fucking powerful and that it would be unwise to keep fighting them (or start a new fight with them). It also doubled up as a handy way to basically solidify the end of the war because if Japan refused to stand down Truman promised to basically turn their entire country into radioactive rubble (they had at least 3 more bombs planned from memory, and more to follow if Japan still refused to surrender - thankfully it only took the two).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #4454
    Fire Fucker
    March 2011
    2,501 Posts
    No, that literally was the reason. It's not a theory. Germany was their primary target before Hitler committed suicide and Germany surrendered. The second Germany was out of the picture, the US turned their sights on Japan.

It was a show of power, it was basically a way to let the world know that the US was fucking powerful and that it would be unwise to keep fighting them (or start a new fight with them). It also doubled up as a handy way to basically solidify the end of the war because if Japan refused to stand down Truman promised to basically turn their entire country into radioactive rubble (they had at least 3 more bombs planned from memory, and more to follow if Japan still refused to surrender - thankfully it only took the two).
    Or maybe it was because Japan was keeping WWII going and the quickest and surest way to get Japan to let up was to pull out the atomic macguffin.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #4455
    February 2012
    2,843 Posts
    oh wow seeing a ending where Wreav is killing that baby krogan...I'm imagining God shep to send all reapers forces to blast wreav's ass...hell there should of been a option to kill wreav
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

16. Post #4456
    April 2008
    1,832 Posts
    oh wow seeing a ending where Wreav is killing that baby krogan...I'm imagining God shep to send all reapers forces to blast wreav's ass...hell there should of been a option to kill wreav
    Holy hell did I miss something!?!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

17. Post #4457
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    Fucking love the new endings, I know you guys still argue over them because you hate everything (facepunch's curse I suppose) but I fucking loved them, and the entire game, at every point, I couldn't put the game down unless I had to sleep or eat...and this was my 2nd playthrough. Love Mass Effect 3, love the entire series, love the new endings, love it all.

Edited:

Why is Shepard still alive at the end of the destroy ending if this isn't indoctrination, how does that even make sense...? How could he survive?   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #4458
    Hello everyone! I would like you to know that I am not a fan of nudity!!!
    May 2009
    6,575 Posts
    Some great scenes in the Mass Effect series, I can't really say which is best or worst:

That scene.
    Talking to Vigil.
    Sovereign going into the Citadel.
    Sword fleet arriving through the Charon relay.
    Escaping the collector base.
    Curing the genophage.
    Pitting a thresher maw against a reaper.
    Seeing Liara become the Shadow Broker.
    Arriving at the collector base.
    Battle of the Citadel.
    Seeing Saren and the Illusive Man commit suicide.
    Talking to Anderson at the end (if only they had used the extended recording)
    Punching a pyjak.

Moments like those are why the Mass Effect franchise are one of my all time favorites.
    I personally loved Feros. Like, almost all of it. Dat atmosphere

Edited:

Also the music

all my nostalgia hnnnnng
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

19. Post #4459
    November 2010
    5,747 Posts
    Holy hell did I miss something!?!
    you'd have to murder wrex to see this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events

20. Post #4460
    April 2008
    1,832 Posts
       Why is Shepard still alive at the end of the destroy ending if this isn't indoctrination, how does that even make sense...? How could he survive?   
    The cinematic have been edited so that the citadel doesn't    completely explode, it's still largely intact    and    he's godamn commander sheperd he isn't goning to die because something exploded in his face   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

21. Post #4461
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts

Uh yeah that possibility is just as likely as the possibility they wanted to minimize casualties and the cost of war.

Either way, they both likely had influence in the decision.

Edited:

The cinematic have been edited so that the citadel doesn't    completely explode, it's still largely intact    and    he's godamn commander sheperd he isn't goning to die because something exploded in his face   
       hmm, alright, then...what are they going to do with him surviving? I suppose that's the big mystery though. Though I do wonder, if he's alive, then does everyone know? Like, the Normandy doesn't know because they've been stranded, but do the people who repaired the citadel and are connected to the galaxy at large know? I mean, it seems to have been years since the events of ME3 in the end slideshow so...they must have found his body...but then why didn't Hackett mention him? Man what the fuck is going on.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #4462
    April 2008
    1,832 Posts
       hmm, alright, then...what are they going to do with him surviving?   
    I guessing your imagination is supposed to handle that part.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

23. Post #4463
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    I guessing your imagination is supposed to handle that part.
    I really don't like that though, its all fine and dandy I can imagine Shepard in the best situation ever, but I really don't take it seriously unless its an official and canonical end to the series...or PERHAPS A NEW BEGINNING

24. Post #4464
    April 2008
    1,832 Posts
    I really don't like that though, its all fine and dandy I can imagine Shepard in the best situation ever, but I really don't take it seriously unless its an official and canonical end to the series...or PERHAPS A NEW BEGINNING
    There has to be a point where they stop telling you what happens though. I would have loved to see being at the bar with Garrus or blue children, Tali's home etc etc. Its a multi choice ending so they are all canonical. There is unlikely to be anything after mass effect 3, game and story wise, as the endings are so grossly different, especially mixed in with everyone's choices.

Edited:

So they did over do the 'imagine for yourself' the first time but the EC got it more or so correct.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

25. Post #4465
    February 2010
    16,389 Posts
    3 months isn't enough time to remake an entire game. Be glad they treated your infected wound at all. But when it festers and falls off, well I hope it wasn't something you needed.
    Bioware logic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #4466
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    It's the stargazer that I have a problem with. Who the hell is he and what is his purpose? Assuming you got a game over ending and the galaxy got royally fucked. How does this guy know about Shepard? I don't think Liara left all of his/her mission details in the black box. And assuming you won, well okay he's telling this kid how everyone almost died once. As well as many sex stories. But why? It makes me think that in reality nothing actually happened and that everything we saw was actually a story being told by some old fart who couldn't figure out when he was making plot holes in his own story. Not like he gives a shit, he's talking to a kid that's probably paying attention to half of the story anyways.

So one on hand, he's real and he somehow knows what happened in a previous cycle. On the other hand...THE FUCK!?
    Its not like they implied the entire game was told from the perspective of some old dude, they were just trying to show you some sort of reflection on what happened, and what your work has brought.

27. Post #4467
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    Its not like they implied the entire game was told from the perspective of some old dude, they were just trying to show you some sort of reflection on what happened, and what your work has brought.
    Which is probably one of the oldest copouts in the book.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

28. Post #4468
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    Which is probably one of the oldest copouts in the book.
    The problem with it before was the fact that it was alone, that there was no god damn closure, but with the new endings...there should be no problem, its just a reflection on what you've done, nothing more, nothing less. That, and its on top of the already generous amount of closure they've given.

29. Post #4469
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    Also it sort of bothers me how every single character in the entire universe, throughout the entire series, is willing to kiss Shepard's ass at any given moment, but the instant he asks someone for help it's all "WOAH WOAH WOAH, let's not get hasty, GOTTA' GO, MONROE."

Should have been more people who just didn't like Shepard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

30. Post #4470
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    Also it sort of bothers me how every single character in the entire universe, throughout the entire series, is willing to kiss Shepard's ass at any given moment, but the instant he asks someone for help it's all "WOAH WOAH WOAH, let's not get hasty, GOTTA' GO, MONROE."

Should have been more people who just didn't like Shepard.
    Everyone you fight are "people who don't like Shepard", so...

31. Post #4471
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    Everyone you fight are "people who don't like Shepard", so...
    What, you mean besides the Reapers?

Because when you actually talk to a lot of the people you're fighting they're surprisingly chill with you. How many times were they like "look, we got no beef with you, just leave right now and we're cool."

All the not-Reapers that you fought were doing it for reasons other than you. The prison warden wanted shitloads of money. Weryloc clan wanted to cure the Genophage. The mercenary groups just wanted Garrus to leave them alone. And when you talk to all of them, they're all completely disinterested in Shepard specifically. Sometimes they were even nice or regretful about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #4472
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts

Because when you actually talk to a lot of the people you're fighting they're surprisingly chill with you. How many times were they like "look, we got no beef with you, just leave right now and we're cool."
    Hm, I suppose you're right, I was going to say the merc groups but they end up siding with Shep...Cerberus doesn't really count, they're all indoctrinated...same with the Geth...

Hm.

Though, it is hard to dislike Shepard, he is so god damn cool

33. Post #4473
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    Shit the only dude who just outright hated Shep was that Alliance inspector in ME1 that was trying to get the Normandy decommissioned or whatever.

34. Post #4474
    Quite so, ol' chap.
    December 2011
    4,040 Posts

The Mercs were all pretty angry at you all the time. The only reason they join your cause was because Aria made it so and they would all die if you didn't the stop the Reapers. They didn't care in the least about you before the Reaper threat. The Collectors, albethey slaves of the Reapers, didn't quite see eye-to-eye with Shepard either.

That, plus many more people who just didn't like Shepard all that much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #4475
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    705 Posts
    Am I the only one who thought ME1 was probably the worst in the series? It's not a bad game by any stretch and it's very close, but I thought the other 2 games were better.

I played ME1 and 2 consecutively after the second came out, so maybe I'm not getting affected by nostalgia, but I just felt the second game was superior on almost all fronts.

Again, ME1 was great, but it had some really slow-moving parts, I felt, both story and gameplay wise.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 12Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #4476
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    Am I the only one who thought ME1 was probably the worst in the series? It's not a bad game by any stretch and it's very close, but I thought the other 2 games were better.

I played ME1 and 2 consecutively after the second came out, so maybe I'm not getting affected by nostalgia, but I just felt the second game was superior and almost all fronts.

Again, ME1 was great, but it had some really slow-moving parts, I felt, both story and gameplay wise.
    I agree, ME1 was also the shortest by sheer amount of plot relevant missions, took me like...I think 10 hours to beat, and I actually did some side missions, whereas ME3 took me 20 hours to beat, 15 hours if you want to remove all the side missions...It was longer, and took everything wrong with ME2 (what little there was) and fixed it, and polished everything else.

Though, one thing that ME1 has over ME2 was plot advancement, but ME2 was still better.

Though I appreciate ME1 for making the entire universe of Mass Effect, and it always have a special place in my heart.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #4477
    Quite so, ol' chap.
    December 2011
    4,040 Posts

I played ME1 and 2 consecutively after the second came out, so maybe I'm not getting affected by nostalgia, but I just felt the second game was superior and almost all fronts.

The story of ME1 did have its slow parts (the first hour on the Citadel for instance). But besides that it was pretty good. The introduction to Liara and discovery of the Rachni Queen were all quite well done.

The gameplay of ME1, however, is pretty abominable. That might be a reason why you prefer ME2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

38. Post #4478
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    705 Posts
    The story of ME1 did have its slow parts (the first hour on the Citadel for instance). But besides that it was pretty good. The introduction to Liara and discovery of the Rachni Queen were all quite well done.

The gameplay of ME1, however, is pretty abominable. That might be a reason why you prefer ME2.
    Gameplay wasn't great, true, but I'd just finished playing Baldurs Gate before getting into Mass Effect and that came out before gameplay was invented, so I dunno if it would have bothered me that much.

I found myself not caring so much about a few of the characters until the second game, because I felt the actually storytelling was better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #4479
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts

Gameplay was alright in ME1 if you actually established yourself and used your trusty pistol 100% of the time.

God damn it, all this talk about the past Mass Effect just get me missing everything after the ending of ME3, boo.

40. Post #4480
    Quite so, ol' chap.
    December 2011
    4,040 Posts
    Gameplay wasn't great, true, but I'd just finished playing Baldurs Gate before getting into Mass Effect and that came out before gameplay was invented, so I dunno if it would have bothered me that much.

I found myself not caring so much about a few of the characters until the second game, because I felt the actually storytelling was better.
    ME1's storytelling was more so focussed on the entire universe of it all and the introduction to it all.

Whereas ME2 focussed more on your squadmates and everything evolving around them. And there was this Collector threat thingy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)