1. Post #4401
    27X
    Rantasaurus Rex
    July 2010
    5,999 Posts
    That doesn't make sense. Why would EA (or anyone) pressure Bioware to make something LESS badass and appealing? Badass sells.

Because they needed a q4 selling point for q1. ME3 should have come out in q1 of '13, fucking INTACT.

Edited:

Somewhat agreed, though there's more going on behind the scenes. Color saturation and palette are altered, bloom mechanics are altered, sharpness is altered, and lighting contrast (both ambient and direct) are altered. It's heavily modified version of the "ME3 Cinema ENB" mod that was released a while ago.

It's easier to see in motion (especially when toggling between it activated and not), but I will say there's a lot more than just an increase in brightness going on.
    Yeah saturation and sharpness are def altered.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 19 (list)

2. Post #4402
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    15,042 Posts
    The doggy bone just reminds me of DBZ Abridged with Vegeta and Gorbo(the short green guy with time stopping abilities I thin)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #4403
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,632 Posts
    Yeah, I remember the same thing too. Somebody posted it on BSN didn't they, and then somebody dumped the entire thread here if I recall correctly. If I remember the jist of it, the 'new' order would go: ME2, ME1, ME3

I think they mentioned how Mass Effect 2 could have happened first with Commander Shepard being tasked (maybe by Cerberus, or maybe by the Alliance) to investigate colonies that they were losing contact with. Basically follow the same jist as the ME2 story had; build a team, learn about the Collectors, and then at the end learn that the Collectors are just servants to some even worse enemy - the Reapers. Also, if I'm not mistaken, I think they said that Saren could have been a main character in the first game who was mentoring Shepard for the Specre program and helping with the Collector problem (then his betrayal in the next game would have hit even harder).

Then our ME1 comes next as ME2 in this trilogy. I'm not sure how they'd keep the same sense of mystery and locations that ME1 had, though - maybe make it so that at the end of the previous game you only really learn OF the Reapers while storming the Collector base but you don't know exactly what they are/what their purpose is exactly - that way Sovereign's big reveal is still a, "holy shit" moment. Then maybe the Reapers decide that because the Collectors failed that they're going to try an all out war now instead of being covert (so that could explain the introduction of the Geth).

I guess you could open up ME3 in two different ways (hell, if they had done the decisions and branching properly instead of making most things linear BOTH of these things could happen next) - maybe Sovereign succeeds in opening the Citadel relay and releasing the Reaper fleet upon the galaxy, or maybe you defeat him and they come in with conventional FTL drives. That could let the last game go in two majorly different directions.
    Hell, to expand on this they could have had the Normandy SR1 damaged beyond repair during the suicide mission (so you really feel like it IS a suicide mission and you're not going back), but at the end of the mission you commandeer a Collector vessel and use it to escape or something, which could be how we get something like the Thanix Cannon (or something similar) in future games.

That way you also have a reason to get a new, bigger, more bad-ass ship and thus the SR2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

4. Post #4404
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,575 Posts
    Yeah, I remember the same thing too. Somebody posted it on BSN didn't they, and then somebody dumped the entire thread here if I recall correctly. If I remember the jist of it, the 'new' order would go: ME2, ME1, ME3

I think they mentioned how Mass Effect 2 could have happened first with Commander Shepard being tasked (maybe by Cerberus, or maybe by the Alliance) to investigate colonies that they were losing contact with. Basically follow the same jist as the ME2 story had; build a team, learn about the Collectors, and then at the end learn that the Collectors are just servants to some even worse enemy - the Reapers. Also, if I'm not mistaken, I think they said that Saren could have been a main character in the first game who was mentoring Shepard for the Specre program and helping with the Collector problem (then his betrayal in the next game would have hit even harder).

Then our ME1 comes next as ME2 in this trilogy. I'm not sure how they'd keep the same sense of mystery and locations that ME1 had, though - maybe make it so that at the end of the previous game you only really learn OF the Reapers while storming the Collector base but you don't know exactly what they are/what their purpose is exactly - that way Sovereign's big reveal is still a, "holy shit" moment. Then maybe the Reapers decide that because the Collectors failed that they're going to try an all out war now instead of being covert (so that could explain the introduction of the Geth).

I guess you could open up ME3 in two different ways (hell, if they had done the decisions and branching properly instead of making most things linear BOTH of these things could happen next) - maybe Sovereign succeeds in opening the Citadel relay and releasing the Reaper fleet upon the galaxy, or maybe you defeat him and they come in with conventional FTL drives. That could let the last game go in two majorly different directions.
    Your background would make the Alliance believe you're fit to do the Suicide Mission, while the results of ME1 (in this hypothetical trilogy) would be what gives you Spectre status in ME2.

What if they replaced a massive Reaper invasion in ME3 with a massive Geth invasion? reverse the percentage of the "True" Geth with the "Heretics" enhanced with Reaper tech, and you've got your cannon fodder. The initial plot could even be looking for a way to stop the Geth (morality decision where you decide to either re-write or destroy completely.) After that happens, Sovereign launches a massive, last-ditch effort against the Citadel to just force his way to activate it (cue end run in ME1.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

5. Post #4405
    May 2010
    3,912 Posts
    But Mass Effect 1's ending is still pretty amazing. And that credit song, gnnnn.

I was completely satisfied by Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2's ending.

Edited:

That's because they changed writers along the way.Drew Karpyshin had written an ending to Mass Effect 3. It just was scrapped.
    No, the ME1 ending was fantastic. But it was set up to be the just be the ending of the first chapter, but the beginning of a series. On it's own, it does very little.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

6. Post #4406
    June 2012
    1,900 Posts
    I'm still wondering why when we get sent to the citadel we're not in the council room. Isn't that where Saren specifically went for when trying to take control of it?

Edited:

No, the ME1 ending was fantastic. But it was set up to be the just be the ending of the first chapter, but the beginning of a series. On it's own, it does very little.
    And I felt as though I accomplished more meaningful than the other two games in that ending so it must've done something right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

7. Post #4407
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,632 Posts
    Your background would make the Alliance believe you're fit to do the Suicide Mission, while the results of ME1 (in this hypothetical trilogy) would be what gives you Spectre status in ME2.

What if they replaced a massive Reaper invasion in ME3 with a massive Geth invasion? reverse the percentage of the "True" Geth with the "Heretics" enhanced with Reaper tech, and you've got your cannon fodder. The initial plot could even be looking for a way to stop the Geth (morality decision where you decide to either re-write or destroy completely.) After that happens, Sovereign launches a massive, last-ditch effort against the Citadel to just force his way to activate it (cue end run in ME1.)
    A Geth invasion just wouldn't be as cool as a Reaper invasion to be frank. I still like the idea of the Reaper invasion just because it was fucking cool to watch the Reapers stomping about on planetary surfaces. The problem is from a story standpoint you basically back yourself into a corner where your only option for a successful resolve is a deus ex machina when your enemies are as powerful as the Reapers.

I mean, hell, if they'd stuck with Drew Karpyshyn's original 'dark energy' plot the deus ex machina they pulled could have been luring a large portion of the Reaper fleet into a system like the Dholen system (where Haestrom is) and then 'detonating' the star which would actually have been a really satisfying deus ex machina in my opinion - it would have actually worked with the universes established lore.

That would have given us a Reaper invasion AND a legitimate way to stop them and not the bullshit we were actually given in ME3.

8. Post #4408
    May 2010
    3,912 Posts
    And I felt as though I accomplished more meaningful than the other two games in that ending so it must've done something right.
    You're not understanding me. It was meaningful and it was great, but that was because it was the beginning of a trilogy. It did damn near everything right. But if you wanted to make it an independant game you'd have to change everything about ME1 in order for it to work.

9. Post #4409
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,632 Posts
    You're not understanding me. It was meaningful and it was great, but that was because it was the beginning of a trilogy. It did damn near everything right. But if you wanted to make it an independant game you'd have to change everything about ME1 in order for it to work.
    I dunno about that to be honest. I could actually imagine ME1 being a stand alone game quite easily.

Edited:

Hell, nothing would have to be changed. ME1 IS a textbook, stand alone story.

So long as you write in that without the citadel relay the rest of the Reapers are stuck in dark space (or even make Sovereign the only Reaper or something) then the villains are introduced and done away with before the story is out. There's no loose ends.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

10. Post #4410
    June 2012
    1,900 Posts
    If it was a stand alone, it would actually be on-par with KoTOR.

11. Post #4411
    You guys remember that bachelor party dance convo in ME2 between the salarian, turian and human, right?

The turian said the asari looked like a turian woman because of those rivets on her head, right?
    Well, remember that one picture of the turian female? Without those rivets?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #4412
    thread killa
    May 2010
    960 Posts
    Just one reason why Mass Effect's extended media is one long argument against tie-ins. Except for Datapad, apparently.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

13. Post #4413
    May 2010
    3,912 Posts
    I dunno about that to be honest. I could actually imagine ME1 being a stand alone game quite easily.

Edited:

Hell, nothing would have to be changed. ME1 IS a textbook, stand alone story.

So long as you write in that without the citadel relay the rest of the Reapers are stuck in dark space (or even make Sovereign the only Reaper or something) then the villains are introduced and done away with before the story is out. There's no loose ends.
    It would be very lackluster though. And in the end your choices like freeing the Rachni, saving the council, etc. would be useless.

14. Post #4414
    June 2012
    1,900 Posts
    It would be very lackluster though. And in the end your choices like freeing the Rachni, saving the council, etc. would be useless.
    Weren't they useless in ME3 anyways?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 3Funny Funny x 3 (list)

15. Post #4415
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,632 Posts
    I wouldn't have felt that way personally. It would just have been like any other game you've ever played with the added bonus that you got to make a few decisions along the way.

What WAS lackluster was the way they actually handled it in ME2 and ME3. All decisions eventually just came down to a fleeting mention in conversation, or EMS. I would have been fine with ME1 as a stand alone game which let you make decisions for the hell of it that had no real impact on the end game as long as they hadn't lied to us about their importance/lack of importance in the first place.

16. Post #4416
    [B][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacos"]Tacos![/URL][/B]
    April 2008
    5,450 Posts
    Is it just me or is the Sovereign scene the best scene in all of Mass Effect?

[URL]

That voice...fucking...scares me.

Edited:

And then Harbinger...he scares me not. His speech does not make me tremble. He is of no threat to me.
    Harbinger is Sovereigns bitch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 18Winner Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #4417
    Is it just me or is the Sovereign scene the best scene in all of Mass Effect?
    Some great scenes in the Mass Effect series, I can't really say which is best or worst:

That scene.
    Talking to Vigil.
    Sovereign going into the Citadel.
    Sword fleet arriving through the Charon relay.
    Escaping the collector base.
    Curing the genophage.
    Pitting a thresher maw against a reaper.
    Seeing Liara become the Shadow Broker.
    Arriving at the collector base.
    Battle of the Citadel.
    Seeing Saren and the Illusive Man commit suicide.
    Talking to Anderson at the end (if only they had used the extended recording)
    Punching a pyjak.

Moments like those are why the Mass Effect franchise are one of my all time favorites.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

18. Post #4418

June 2012
    602 Posts
    Isn't there a movie coming out?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #4419
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,632 Posts
    Some great scenes in the Mass Effect series, I can't really say which is best or worst:

That scene.
    Talking to Vigil.
    Sovereign going into the Citadel.
    Sword fleet arriving through the Charon relay.
    Escaping the collector base.
    Curing the genophage.
    Pitting a thresher maw against a reaper.
    Seeing Liara become the Shadow Broker.
    Arriving at the collector base.
    Battle of the Citadel.
    Seeing Saren and the Illusive Man commit suicide.
    Talking to Anderson at the end (if only they had used the extended recording)
    Punching a pyjak.

Moments like those are why the Mass Effect franchise are one of my all time favorites.
    Seriously, Saren and TIM - Shepard managed to talk them both into blowing their own brains out. If you're a traffic cop who pulls over Shepard you'd better be fucking careful.

Also, I was just sitting here and thinking and had a laugh when I realised how WW2 basically ended with a deus ex machina/ass pull similar to the way The Crucible came about in ME3 (although in our case it was nuclear weapons). I mean if you look at the allied death toll in WW2 it was staggering - we were losing by a massive margin in that regard, and then all of a sudden, "lol, hey guys, check out these new bombs we made."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

20. Post #4420
    Shepard's grandfather's grandfather talked Hitler into suicide.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 17Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #4421
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    5,506 Posts

I guessyou could open up ME3 in two different ways (hell, if they had done the decisions and branching properly instead of making most things linear BOTH of these things could happen next) - maybe Sovereign succeeds in opening the Citadel relay and releasing the Reaper fleet upon the galaxy, or maybe you defeat him and they come in with conventional FTL drives. That could let the last game go in two majorly different directions.
    I liked that theory a lot when I read it. Granted there are a lot of little quirks they'd have to work out (like Tali and Garrus' roles, for instance) it follows a better story pattern as the situation gets larger and more dire. I think the only real thing I disagree with is the idea of having Saren as the mentor. I understand the idea for the jarring reveal that he's a traitor for Hypothetical-Mass Effect 2 but I think it would be best if Nihlus remained the mentor. However, they could still cross paths with the player via the Spectre offices on the Citadel and we see Saren as a rather ruthless dude, but devoted to his duty as a Spectre (some of Shepard's actions or dialogue may even be able to get on his good side to some degree) and a good friend of Nihlus'. But Nihlus would be on your crew offering guidance and moral support as he and Shepard form a bond. That way when Saren finally kills Nihlus on Eden Prime, Shepard/players have a personal grudge with him.

It would be kind of interesting if in this hypothetical switcheroo theory if at the end of Mass Effect after defeating the Collectors you can side with Cerberus as sort of a Renegade option thus shifting the entire dynamic for Mass Effect 2. Instead of going to Eden Prime as part of a covert mission as part of your Spectre initiation, Cerberus sends Shepard, Miranda, and a Cerberus equivalent to Jenkins on to Eden Prime to retrieve the Beacon. Here, they could have two entirely different routes for an Alliance play through or a Cerberus play through, wherein instead of bumping into Ashley (which would occur in an Alliance play through) Shepard and Miranda bump into Jacob for the first time as he survives against the Geth. He joins the crew and the game basically plays out similarly only this time working with Cerberus gathering different companions possibly, and approaching and chasing down Saren and the Geth for "humanity's best interest" (Saren's xenophobia and his army of Geth would draw TIM's attention as to why he must be stopped). Shepard could find himself more at odds with TIM when it comes to things like the Rachni and Thorian depending on how you guide the morality and maybe meet some of Cerberus' employees in a different light (Maybe we see Kai Leng as a person and not a cheap ninja bad guy or possibly a squad mate-- minus his sword). Towards the end Shepard could tell TIM to shove it because he's not seeing the big picture with the Reapers or stick with him.

Mass Effect 3, once again in an effort to appeal everyone, came up with ways to funnel all players into the same place. If you killed the Rachni, Reapers built a new one; if not Reapers captured it. If a squadmate died in Mass Effect 2 they're replaced with some random character (see: Padok Wiks, Urdnot Dagg, Captain Kirrahe, Geth VI). They don't tune the story to adjust to the changes; instead they fill it with a sorta-not-really character to replace it rather than thinking of an interesting alternative that branches the story to numerous destinations and outcomes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

22. Post #4422
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,632 Posts
    I liked that theory a lot when I read it. Granted there are a lot of little quirks they'd have to work out (like Tali and Garrus' roles, for instance) it follows a better story pattern as the situation gets larger and more dire. I think the only real thing I disagree with is the idea of having Saren as the mentor. I understand the idea for the jarring reveal that he's a traitor for Hypothetical-Mass Effect 2 but I think it would be best if Nihlus remained the mentor. However, they could still cross paths with the player via the Spectre offices on the Citadel and we see Saren as a rather ruthless dude, but devoted to his duty as a Spectre (some of Shepard's actions or dialogue may even be able to get on his good side to some degree) and a good friend of Nihlus'. But Nihlus would be on your crew offering guidance and moral support as he and Shepard form a bond. That way when Saren finally kills Nihlus on Eden Prime, Shepard/players have a personal grudge with him.

It would be kind of interesting if in this hypothetical switcheroo theory if at the end of Mass Effect after defeating the Collectors you can side with Cerberus as sort of a Renegade option thus shifting the entire dynamic for Mass Effect 2. Instead of going to Eden Prime as part of a covert mission as part of your Spectre initiation, Cerberus sends Shepard, Miranda, and a Cerberus equivalent to Jenkins on to Eden Prime to retrieve the Beacon. Here, they could have two entirely different routes for an Alliance play through or a Cerberus play through, wherein instead of bumping into Ashley (which would occur in an Alliance play through) Shepard and Miranda bump into Jacob for the first time as he survives against the Geth. He joins the crew and the game basically plays out similarly only this time working with Cerberus gathering different companions possibly, and approaching and chasing down Saren and the Geth for "humanity's best interest" (Saren's xenophobia and his army of Geth would draw TIM's attention as to why he must be stopped). Shepard could find himself more at odds with TIM when it comes to things like the Rachni and Thorian depending on how you guide the morality and maybe meet some of Cerberus' employees in a different light (Maybe we see Kai Leng as a person and not a cheap ninja bad guy or possibly a squad mate-- minus his sword). Towards the end Shepard could tell TIM to shove it because he's not seeing the big picture with the Reapers or stick with him.

Mass Effect 3, once again in an effort to appeal everyone, came up with ways to funnel all players into the same place. If you killed the Rachni, Reapers built a new one; if not Reapers captured it. If a squadmate died in Mass Effect 2 they're replaced with some random character (see: Padok Wiks, Urdnot Dagg, Captain Kirrahe, Geth VI). They don't tune the story to adjust to the changes; instead they fill it with a sorta-not-really character to replace it rather than thinking of an interesting alternative that branches the story to numerous destinations and outcomes.
    I really liked that Eden Prime idea, that actually sounds really cool (and yeah, I'd rather have Nihlus as a squade mate too, personally - dat voice!).

I don't understand why they had to funnel it all to the same point in the end anyway. Like we were originally told, ME3 was the last game in trilogy, and it was SUPPOSED to be incredibly variable because there was no need for saved games in it to be transferred later on. If the Mass Effect series had ended like it always should have the endings would have been hugely variable - maybe even in location. There should have been multiple, unique ways to solve the Reaper threat as a whole (and to kill them on the small scale). We should have seen some more skirmishes with Sovereign class reapers - maybe have even had a mission in which you ambush a single one, disable it, infiltrate it, and place some gigantic nuclear devices onboard before sending it into the midst of a Reaper fleet invading a planet and detonating the nukes.

Also, like I was saying earlier, imagine in this hypothetical ME2 there were two distinct endings - you failed to stop Sovereign from opening the citadel relay, or you succeeded in stopping him (as you did in ME1). That could completely transform the way the third game played out, completely changing the events and locations you'd experience and visit. Mass Effect 3 would possibly have been heralded as one of the greatest games of all time if it had pulled off something that complex. But unfortunately we got EA, wider audience, all of that mumbo jumbo.

23. Post #4423
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    3,114 Posts
    Also, I was just sitting here and thinking and had a laugh when I realised how WW2 basically ended with a deus ex machina/ass pull similar to the way The Crucible came about in ME3 (although in our case it was nuclear weapons). I mean if you look at the allied death toll in WW2 it was staggering - we were losing by a massive margin in that regard, and then all of a sudden, "lol, hey guys, check out these new bombs we made."
    I don't think you understand WWII.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

24. Post #4424
    I knew a guy who thought WW2 took place in the 1800's and he wasn't sure who the allies and axis was.

Edited:

He was 16 at the time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #4425
    January 2008
    528 Posts
    I knew a guy who thought WW2 took place in the 1800's and he wasn't sure who the allies and axis was.

Edited:

He was 16 at the time.
    Tanks in the 1800's that would have been great.

26. Post #4426
    Shepard would suck on a suicide hotline.

Edited:

"Hello mrs. Tali. Don't commit suicide, you have much to live for even though your race was slaughtered by the Geth. Here's a new perspective to take your mind off it: have you ever thought that your race deserved it? ...Hello?"

"Good day to you mr. Saren. Remember, you are still loved, even though the Reapers fully control you. Well, some people like you. Though I guess they are indoctrinated... Okay, so nobody likes you and you are evil and all of that, but at least you're not dead, that's something, eh? Hello?"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 16 (list)

27. Post #4427
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,632 Posts
    I'm not being entirely serious - I realise how long the Manhattan project was going on for, and how the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were only one factor in many that helped end the war, but you've got to admit if you were looking at WW2 as a story and not an actual event that happened the invention of nuclear weaponry would seem like one of the biggest ass pulls ever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #4428
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    5,506 Posts
    I really liked that Eden Prime idea, that actually sounds really cool (and yeah, I'd rather have Nihlus as a squade mate too, personally - dat voice!).

I don't understand why they had to funnel it all to the same point in the end anyway. Like we were originally told, ME3 was the last game in trilogy, and it was SUPPOSED to be incredibly variable because there was no need for saved games in it to be transferred later on. If the Mass Effect series had ended like it always should have the endings would have been hugely variable - maybe even in location. There should have been multiple, unique ways to solve the Reaper threat as a whole (and to kill them on the small scale). We should have seen some more skirmishes with Sovereign class reapers - maybe have even had a mission in which you ambush a single one, disable it, infiltrate it, and place some gigantic nuclear devices onboard before sending it into the midst of a Reaper fleet invading a planet and detonating the nukes.

Also, like I was saying earlier, imagine in this hypothetical ME2 there were two distinct endings - you failed to stop Sovereign from opening the citadel relay, or you succeeded in stopping him (as you did in ME1). That could completely transform the way the third game played out, completely changing the events and locations you'd experience and visit. Mass Effect 3 would possibly have been heralded as one of the greatest games of all time if it had pulled off something that complex. But unfortunately we got EA, wider audience, all of that mumbo jumbo.
    In fact, imagine if at the end of the real Mass Effect 2 you could side with Cerberus changing the dynamic for Mass Effect 3. Shepard begins to see Cerberus gradually dissolve into something more sinister and Shepard follows a different path to stop the Reapers or approaching the established elements (the battle to and from Earth, curing the Genophage, stopping the geth/quarian conflict, etc.) from a different angle. This leads to different advantages and disadvantages and established characters like the Virmire survivor, Anderson, and the Council view you differently for siding with Cerberus. Maybe taking this path could even have Miranda and Jacob remain loyal to Cerberus-- and to you when you start splintering into your own Cerberus faction-- and therefore your crew mates if they survived the Suicide Mission. In the end, it takes the player down an entirely new path-- in the same story-- with vast outcomes and possibilties.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #4429
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,632 Posts
    In fact, imagine if at the end of the real Mass Effect 2 you could side with Cerberus changing the dynamic for Mass Effect 3. Shepard begins to see Cerberus gradually dissolve into something more sinister and Shepard follows a different path to stop the Reapers or approaching the established elements (the battle to and from Earth, curing the Genophage, stopping the geth/quarian conflict, etc.) from a different angle. This leads to different advantages and disadvantages and established characters like the Virmire survivor, Anderson, and the Council view you differently for siding with Cerberus. Maybe taking this path could even have Miranda and Jacob remain loyal to Cerberus-- and to you when you start splintering into your own Cerberus faction-- and therefore your crew mates if they survived the Suicide Mission. In the end, it takes the player down an entirely new path-- in the same story-- with vast outcomes and possibilties.
    It's really sad to think that if BioWare had the time and the money (and the correct resources *cough* writers *cough*) ME3 could have easily been one of the greatest games ever made (if not THE greatest game ever made).

They had two whole games worth of decisions behind them, and they had the save importation feature to back them up. They had everything they needed to create branching paths. If they'd put an extra 2 years into the game they could easily have implemented all of this branching and wildly different outcomes. It'd be like having dozens of games in one (people would be posting about planets/scenarios/outcomes you never even knew COULD exist in your playthrough).

But instead they went with the 'wider audience' thing. The one fucking series where it would have been possible to do all of this crazy, awesome stuff... and they fucked it up.

30. Post #4430
    December 2010
    330 Posts
    Pretty much the refusal ending in a nutshell.
    Normandy still remains to be the Giant Space Orgy after all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

31. Post #4431
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,919 Posts
    It's really sad to think that if BioWare had the time and the money (and the correct resources *cough* writers *cough*) ME3 could have easily been one of the greatest games ever made (if not THE greatest game ever made).

They had two whole games worth of decisions behind them, and they had the save importation feature to back them up. They had everything they needed to create branching paths. If they'd put an extra 2 years into the game they could easily have implemented all of this branching and wildly different outcomes. It'd be like having dozens of games in one (people would be posting about planets/scenarios/outcomes you never even knew COULD exist in your playthrough).

But instead they went with the 'wider audience' thing. The one fucking series where it would have been possible to do all of this crazy, awesome stuff... and they fucked it up.
    Well, I can't blame that 100% on Bioware or even EA because as cool as all that would be...it would also cost a fucking fortune to produce. Mass Effect is very popular...but I don't think it's "We can afford to drop $50-100 million on a single title" popular.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

32. Post #4432
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,632 Posts
    Well, I can't blame that 100% on Bioware or even EA because as cool as all that would be...it would also cost a fucking fortune to produce. Mass Effect is very popular...but I don't think it's "We can afford to drop $50-100 million on a single title" popular.
    I doubt it would have costed that much more to produce. I mean however much ME3 costed to develop now, just double it or something (for double the production time) - I doubt it costed anywhere near as much as $25-50 million as it was.

33. Post #4433
    Trans-Intellectual...you know, like a double entendre
    May 2011
    1,409 Posts
    so the new endings were rather underwhelming, eh?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

34. Post #4434
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,919 Posts
    I doubt it would have costed that much more to produce. I mean however much ME3 costed to develop now, just double it or something (for double the production time) - I doubt it costed anywhere near as much as $25-50 million as it was.
    You'd be surprised how much a modern AAA game costs to develop, especially one with the production values of Mass Effect 3.

Edited:

so the new endings were rather underwhelming, eh?
    The opposite for me. They're far from perfect, but they actually exceeded my expectations (which, admittedly, were very low) and I can enjoy the series again.

35. Post #4435
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    364 Posts
    I totally would have waited longer for ME3 to incorporate more branching paths and making all of your decision make a large impact to the ending of them game. That wouldn't be a problem for me.

36. Post #4436
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    8,383 Posts
    The new endings make the ending of Mass Effect at least a proper ending with closure. The endings themselves may have been terrible writing but that was Bioware's choice. They didn't think the trilogy through at all, it seems to only thing they had in their minds was 'Reapers are unstoppable and everyone will die' and then they had no idea how to defeat them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #4437
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,919 Posts
    The new endings make the ending of Mass Effect at least a proper ending with closure. The endings themselves may have been terrible writing but that was Bioware's choice. They didn't think the trilogy through at all, it seems to only thing they had in their minds was 'Reapers are unstoppable and everyone will die' and then they had no idea how to defeat them.
    Yeah, they kind of wrote themselves into a corner. By depicting Sovereign and Harbinger as being so ungodly powerful, the prospect of defeating hundreds of reapers (unfortunately) all but requires a magic macguffin.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #4438
    Trans-Intellectual...you know, like a double entendre
    May 2011
    1,409 Posts
    to me the new endings were kind of like putting bandages on a wound that's already infected, they didn't focus on the main problems.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

39. Post #4439
    [B][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacos"]Tacos![/URL][/B]
    April 2008
    5,450 Posts
    to me the new endings were kind of like putting bandages on a wound that's already infected, they didn't focus on the main problems.
    3 months isn't enough time to remake an entire game. Be glad they treated your infected wound at all. But when it festers and falls off, well I hope it wasn't something you needed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #4440
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,919 Posts
    Well, for the ending to be completely fixed they'd essentially have to scrap it and start from scratch, which is unrealistic. For what they had to work with, I think they did a good job of patching things up and providing closure. I've got a few gripes here and there (I still don't like the StarChild and probably never will), but they're satisfying enough for me to feel like I accomplished something now.