1. Post #3241
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    Whatever happens, EA is going to leave a nice huge void, a void which can be filled with quality games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #3242
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,872 Posts
    when EA dies it's gonna be like that one ending to Deus Ex

we're gonna have lots of tiny indie companies split up after the system collapses, and they're gonna work together because it'll be essential to maintaining a semblance of a working system, making tools for eachother and getting different tools in return

it was all foretold
    Losing a couple of the major corporations would have a similar reaction as the Video Game Crash TBQH. The industry would flounder for a few years, but would eventually rebound and be better for it. If EA goes down, eventually new developers will rise up in it's place, and they'll rise up because they were dedicated to their craft and rebuild consumer confidence.

That being said, I think it's a lot harder to lose consumer confidence today as much as the companies in 1983 did.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #3243
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    2,441 Posts
    Yes it would hurt, but it needs to happen, as a signal to the industry that you can't just roll the "fuck quality, make money" business attitude and expect everything to be sunshine and rainbows forever.
    Quality products make money and increase a company's value in the long term, think Apple, BMW or Samsung.
    Attempting to pass iffy games as top notch products may give you a quick buck in the short run, but that bubble WILL burst sooner rather than later and you will pay the consequences. As most gaming companies are doing now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chile Show Events

4. Post #3244
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    Losing a couple of the major corporations would have a similar reaction as the Video Game Crash TBQH. The industry would flounder for a few years, but would eventually rebound and be better for it. If EA goes down, eventually new developers will rise up in it's place, and they'll rise up because they were dedicated to their craft and rebuild consumer confidence.

That being said, I think it's a lot harder to lose consumer confidence today as much as the companies in 1983 did.
    Games have proven a lot in the last thirty years compared to the 80's crash. Back then, nobody was sure if they were profitable.

Now, the world knows games are profitable, they just aren't quite sure what the best way to tap that market is. The big companies are proving that penny-pinching DLC and assorted bullshit only destroys consumer confidence while smaller developers are proving innovation is a piggybank just waiting to be busted open.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

5. Post #3245
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,772 Posts
    I'm not exactly sure where all that money spent on these games goes.

I mean look at Call of Duty, it's been on virtually the same engine for SIX fucking games.

Where does all that work go into?

6. Post #3246
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    I'm not exactly sure where all that money spent on these games goes.

I mean look at Call of Duty, it's been on virtually the same engine for SIX fucking games.

Where does all that work go into?
    Marketing. Celebrity endorsements. Licensing Eminem songs.

Honestly, if you took a look at the development budgets compared to the marketing budgets of the super-franchises, I'd daresay they're close to equal, if not leaning heavily toward marketing-centric costs.

7. Post #3247
    March 2012
    1,196 Posts
    I still like Bioware.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 10Agree Agree x 5 (list)

8. Post #3248
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    I still like Bioware.
    People still like Michael Bay.

I'm not saying the complete dismantling of cinema is all his fault, but that man has to be stopped because it's all his fault.

9. Post #3249
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    2,441 Posts
    Honestly, if you took a look at the development budgets compared to the marketing budgets of the super-franchises, I'd daresay they're close to equal, if not leaning heavily toward marketing-centric costs.
    50-50! that's cute. It's about 25% for development, 75% for marketing + distribution.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/51...Unlocked-On-PC

I mean, really, EA's case shouldn't be a surprise: Sugar coating turds won't make them taste any better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chile Show Events

10. Post #3250
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,772 Posts
    People still like Michael Bay.

I'm not saying the complete dismantling of cinema is all his fault, but that man has to be stopped because it's all his fault.
    He is everything that is wrong in movies since the Matrix forged into the visage of a Man.

11. Post #3251
    Everything I post is absolute bollocks until proven otherwise.
    July 2008
    10,995 Posts
    Comparing Michael Bay to Bioware is a way over the top.

Mass Effect 3 is still a massively hugely enjoyable game, one of the best. The last 10 minutes is rushed as fuck which is why the ending tasted so sour. A bit more explanation, a bit more time and a less heavy handed "THEN THE UNIVERSE EXPLODES" and the game is perfect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 16Disagree Disagree x 7 (list)

12. Post #3252
    March 2007
    545 Posts
    Turing it around completly, I wish the part of Dark Horse that makes the ME comics drew like This instead
    Damn... that was pretty touching. :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #3253
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts

Mass Effect 3 is still a massively hugely enjoyable game, one of the best. The last 10 minutes is rushed as fuck which is why the ending tasted so sour. A bit more explanation, a bit more time and a less heavy handed "THEN THE UNIVERSE EXPLODES" and the game is perfect.
    Mass Effect without the good writing is just a lousy Gears of War knockoff with worse controls, copious amounts of animation bugs and derivative gameplay. If I was looking for a shooter/RPG, there have been much better titles I could have invested my time in.

Honestly, Mass Effect as a whole is not enjoyable in the slightest without its story, and a terrible ending has a way of devaluing Bioware's "fourth pillar" of design.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

14. Post #3254
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts

See, I think that the rise of indie gaming would temper that. Now that we've got thousands of people developing their own full-conversion mods and full games that rival ones made by fully budgeted teams, we could see some great things come out of an industrial shift like that.

However, if EA goes down, we're fucked with a lot of games. All those multiplayer games would be screwed as their master servers go down.

15. Post #3255
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    However, if EA goes down, we're fucked with a lot of games. All those multiplayer games would be screwed as their master servers go down.
    Haha, they go down after a year and a half anymore anyway.

Hell, EA has been using the whole server-shutdown thing as a tool to force people to buy the newest iterations of its annual sports titles for years now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #3256
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    Haha, they go down after a year and a half anymore anyway.

Hell, EA has been using the whole server-shutdown thing as a tool to force people to buy the newest iterations of its annual sports titles for years now.
    Eh, fair enough. Fuck it, we've got TF2 and enough other games to fill the void. It'll be sad, but as a community, we can make due.

17. Post #3257
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,772 Posts
    Eh, fair enough. Fuck it, we've got TF2 and enough other games to fill the void. It'll be sad, but as a community, we can make due.
    we've got a lot more then just TF2.

The rise of F2P, of GOOD F2P titles will carry us through on the Multiplayer spectrum, leaving room for developers to work on crafting Singleplayer experiences that are worth your time and not tacked on linear site-seeing tours there to seemingly increase the perceived value of the game's purchase.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #3258
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    5,858 Posts
    you guys are making it seem like the collapse of EA is a given

19. Post #3259
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,772 Posts
    you guys are making it seem like the collapse of EA is a given
    do companies who lose half the value of their stock in less than a year usually paint hopeful outlooks?

20. Post #3260
    Original 300 elitist.
    January 2005
    2,163 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 12Funny Funny x 3 (list)

21. Post #3261
    January 2012
    1,537 Posts
    I have an idea for a dlc they could do mid-game that would be fucking awesome,if you can go to the planet Kal'reegar dies on and save him and his squad and then once you do,he becomes a squadmate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

22. Post #3262
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,772 Posts
    I'll take indoctrination theory is real for 200.

Because that was far more imaginative then anything they came up with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

23. Post #3263
    May 2010
    3,917 Posts
    The industry doesn't need more overinflated budgets.

In recent years I've had more fun in games with shoestring budgets than I have the blockbuster multi-million titles.
    It's quite amazing how popular Indie games have gotten compared to what they were years ago. A few guys (or even a single coder) can make great games and they can do well (Of course big companies do better generally, but they invest much more into their games than Indie companies can ever dream of)

24. Post #3264
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,494 Posts
    Seeing as they say to load up a save before the Cerberus base I'm guessing the    Prothean    exposition may be considerably expanded on. I honestly wasn't going to bother with the extension but then I though that unlike the main ending I would like to see it before I head anyone else's opinion on it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

25. Post #3265
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,158 Posts
    I'll take indoctrination theory is real for 200.
    *buzz* What is missed opportunity?

How exactly does Jeopardy work, anyway?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

26. Post #3266
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    14,532 Posts
    Yeah, IT is great. I can't wait until Shepard finds out the Monolith is fake and kills the members of the c-consciousness.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

27. Post #3267

May 2006
    8,988 Posts
    *buzz* What is missed opportunity?

How exactly does Jeopardy work, anyway?
    You're given the answer and have to supply the correct question, plus a tonne of metaphors and word play.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

28. Post #3268
    January 2011
    389 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 23 (list)

29. Post #3269
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,158 Posts
    All I want is either proper resolution for squadmate stories or a Harbinger bossfight.

You're given the answer and have to supply the correct question, plus a tonne of metaphors and word play.
    Ah; I thought it was something like that, but suspected there was more to it. After all, the most I learned of Jeopardy was from Whose Line.

Is there a Fast Thread that is essentially forum Jeopardy?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

30. Post #3270
    May 2010
    3,917 Posts
    Err, if Shephard is indoctrinated, how come the Prothean VI's don't shout out "REAPER INDOCTRINATION DETECTED?" or whatever, like it does with Kai Lang? Why doesn't the indoctrination just tell Shephard to never enter the citadel at all?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #3271

July 2011
    2,327 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 13 (list)

32. Post #3272
    September 2010
    4,166 Posts
    Err, if Shephard is indoctrinated, how come the Prothean VI's don't shout out "REAPER INDOCTRINATION DETECTED?" or whatever, like it does with Kai Lang? Why doesn't the indoctrination just tell Shephard to never enter the citadel at all?
    Mass Effect Fields
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #3273
    May 2010
    3,917 Posts
    Mass Effect Fields
    what

34. Post #3274
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    2,613 Posts
    For those who don't know, "Mass Effect Fields" is just the fanbase's version of "Swamp Gas."; just a quick explanation of everything that doesn't make sense.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #3275
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,158 Posts
    Either it was a writer's oversight, or the VI's systems were still booting up at the time; indoctrinationsensor.exe was probably still in the startup queue when Shepard was talking to the VI.

Thing is, 50k years is not a viable timespan for any machine to be turned on, or even on Standby; woulda been a bit of a power drain, having a true startup after 50k years would be the better option when dealing with a machine's activity levels. (whentostoptalking.exe has suffered a serious error and needs to close)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #3276
    27X
    Rantasaurus Rex
    July 2010
    5,999 Posts

Not really. Walters is about as talented as Micheal Bay. You need to thanking people like Patrick and JDom and Sylv for keep what story did manage to come through intact, cause it sure as hell ain't Walters that set the bar.

37. Post #3277
    Official worst poster 2011
    June 2007
    8,532 Posts
    Either it was a writer's oversight, or the VI's systems were still booting up at the time; indoctrinationsensor.exe was probably still in the startup queue when Shepard was talking to the VI.

Thing is, 50k years is not a viable timespan for any machine to be turned on, or even on Standby; woulda been a bit of a power drain, having a true startup after 50k years would be the better option when dealing with a machine's activity levels. (whentostoptalking.exe has suffered a serious error and needs to close)
    The Indoctrination Theory Documentary covers this.

VIs aren't perfect. It's Indoctrination Detection system most likely can only detect the end stages of indoctrination, which Shepard wouldn't be near for about another month.

And on the subject of Indoctrination:

1. Why can't Shepard confront Vega about him possibly being in the first stages of indoctrination? I'd imagine Shepard would be a bit suspicious of someone who claims to be hearing an ominous hum. I'd think Shepard would want to prevent something like that as much as possible. Unless of course indoctrination is preventing him from confronting Vega.

2. Why does noone ever question that Shepard may be getting indoctrinated? After all, Shepard is constantly around Reaper tech that could indoctrinate him, including being in a reaper and walking within barely 100 meters of active reapers (Human Reaper, A shitload of Reapers on Earth, Tuchanka's Destroyer, Rannoch's Destroyer, Thessia Reapers, Human Reaper ruins). It would have to cross someone's mind eventually that Shepard and crew could be being indoctrinated, especially Tali and Garrus since they've been with Shepard the most.

2B. I don't know if this is completely credible, but I remember a leak from back in mid-late 2011 that claimed that Shepard's cybernetics were Reaper tech from Sovereign's salvage. Take that one how you want, but that guarantees that Shepard would be a walking indoctrination conduit, and that he'd basically be going the same route as Jack Harper/TIM is going.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #3278
    March 2012
    1,701 Posts
    Imma gonna check out this Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning armor in ME3.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #3279
    Official worst poster 2011
    June 2007
    8,532 Posts
    Not really. Walters is about as talented as Micheal Bay. You need to thanking people like Patrick and JDom and Sylv for keep what story did manage to come through intact, cause it sure as hell ain't Walters that set the bar.
    TBH I'd rather have Hepler writing instead of Walters. She's not as bad as people try to make her out to be. People hated her for saying that she wasn't a gamer and blamed her for all of DA2 (Yeah, like a writer made the gameplay bad). Just keep her out of the Romance plot writing (Hepler Romance Plots HNNNNNNnnnnnng) and you're good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

40. Post #3280
    March 2012
    1,701 Posts

Tight in what, Ash?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)