That means I'm complaining?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

3. Post #83
    SirCrest Sexual Enthusiast
    August 2008
    14,658 Posts
    That means I'm complaining?
    Seemed pretty pissed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #84
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

5. Post #85
    August 2008
    14,658 Posts
    Your online communication skills suck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

6. Post #86
    SirCrest is my life, so is yours.
    October 2009
    7,310 Posts
    This is where the discussion starts who said 'cool' guy is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

7. Post #87
    April 2009
    6,187 Posts
    Let's not discuss this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

8. Post #88
    August 2008
    14,658 Posts
    He meant me, why do you think I rated him heart?

9. Post #89
    In other news I think I might look towards FlexRAID or Drivepool as addons for WHS. They work on top of the filesystem, not block level. So no striping. Meaning if my system crashes the files are still there.

They allow me to put in ANY size drive and the software moves data around to keep redundancy, so I could start out with 500's, 250's, 640's, 1TB's and just put in whatever I have and it would copy files over so that they would be on various disks incase of failure.

It runs ontop of the windows file system so I could run it ontop of WHS or Windows 7 or 8.

Still looking into it. Since I don't need stripe performance as I'll be limited to WiFi N or gigabit, I think one of these is my answer. They both over checksum online scanning of the disks as well. Though I don't think It's like ZFS though. if ZFS had a really simple drivepooling system where it worked on the file or directory level and not block level I'd go over to that.

Still want a 16 bay hotswap chassis.

Anything to recommend Wingless?

10. Post #90
    November 2011
    531 Posts
    i don't think anyone doubts it was me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

11. Post #91
    August 2008
    14,658 Posts
    In other news I think I might look towards FlexRAID or Drivepool as addons for WHS. They work on top of the filesystem, not block level. So no striping. Meaning if my system crashes the files are still there.

They allow me to put in ANY size drive and the software moves data around to keep redundancy, so I could start out with 500's, 250's, 640's, 1TB's and just put in whatever I have and it would copy files over so that they would be on various disks incase of failure.

It runs ontop of the windows file system so I could run it ontop of WHS or Windows 7 or 8.

Still looking into it. Since I don't need stripe performance as I'll be limited to WiFi N or gigabit, I think one of these is my answer. They both over checksum online scanning of the disks as well. Though I don't think It's like ZFS though. if ZFS had a really simple drivepooling system where it worked on the file or directory level and not block level I'd go over to that.

Still want a 16 bay hotswap chassis.

Anything to recommend Wingless?
    Why do you always get me when I'm tired?
    Like seriously, both times you asked in the thread...

Edited:

Also, you still haven't given me at least some kind of price to look for.
    Just give me a range, I don't care how large.

12. Post #92
    SirCrest is my life, so is yours.
    October 2009
    7,310 Posts
    I also managed to swap in my dead 60GB Agility3 for a 128GB Crucial M4, without paying extra.

GOODNIGHT WINGLESS

Edited:

for real this time
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

13. Post #93
    August 2008
    14,658 Posts
    I also managed to swap in my 60GB Agility3 for a 128GB Crucial M4, without paying extra.

GOODNIGHT WINGLESS

Edited:

for real this time
    FUCKING GO TO SLEEP ALREADY

14. Post #94
    What do you think I should get for 16 hotswaps. I don't know how much I should be looking at.

The Norco one I saw looked good and it was $330. I mentioned it to my coworker and superviser and he thought these cases were crazy pricey as well. They both maintain our datacenter, so I thought they'd have an idea.

15. Post #95
    August 2008
    14,658 Posts
    What do you think I should get for 16 hotswaps. I don't know how much I should be looking at.

The Norco one I saw looked good and it was $330. I mentioned it to my coworker and superviser and he thought these cases were crazy pricey as well. They both maintain our datacenter, so I thought they'd have an idea.
    Yeah, Norco's prices are a little higher, but they're the only ones doing decent hot swap systems.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811219021

$30 cheaper than the 16 drive bay one, 4 more drive slots.

16. Post #96
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,119 Posts
    Phone mysteries: Two identical USB plugs. One of them fails to charge my phone. The failing one was confirmed to output electric current with 5V of voltage as the standard specifies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

17. Post #97
    I saw that one, 4U is big, but I guess 16 drives is a shit ton.

I'll read the reviews when I get home and finish my paper. I'll probably go with that since it's larger and probably will do better airflow.

18. Post #98
    August 2008
    14,658 Posts
    I saw that one, 4U is big, but I guess 16 drives is a shit ton.

I'll read the reviews when I get home and finish my paper. I'll probably go with that since it's larger and probably will do better airflow.
    Find me a soldering iron for the trouble.
    So I can poke out someones eye (and fix my headphones)

19. Post #99
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,820 Posts
    holy shit

just chillin in my programming class

suddenly bam I wake up 30 minutes later

WHEN DID I SLEEP

20. Post #100
    August 2008
    14,658 Posts
    holy shit

just chillin in my programming class

suddenly bam I wake up 30 minutes later

WHEN DID I SLEEP
    I did that in maths once.

21. Post #101
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,820 Posts
    I did that in math alot.

I ended up having to drop that class after I failed two tests
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

22. Post #102
    April 2009
    6,187 Posts
    I was in class once, and just felt sleepy all of a sudden.

Next thing I know my teacher drops a textbook on my desk and I wake up.

23. Post #103
    August 2008
    14,658 Posts
    Neat. Just got Google drive email.
    This shit be... exactly the same as dropbox.
    Cool I guess.

24. Post #104
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    Has anyone got any plans to make their raspberry Pi's portable in some way when they get them, or are you all just using them as desktop computers?

I was considering making a laptop if I could get plastic casing of an appropriate shape and size.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

25. Post #105
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    Find me a soldering iron for the trouble.
    So I can poke out someones eye (and fix my headphones)
    Best bang for your buck: http://www.amazon.co.uk/ST50-A-Analo...5305241&sr=8-1

Wellers and Ersas are overpriced (especially the variable temperature stations), don't get those unless you have lots of money to burn.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Zing Zing x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #106
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,820 Posts
    I wish Google Drive offered more that month by month payments, like biannual payment plans for like $12 for 25GB.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #107
    August 2008
    14,658 Posts
    Best bang for your buck: http://www.amazon.co.uk/ST50-A-Analo...5305241&sr=8-1

Wellers and Ersas are overpriced (especially the variable temperature stations), don't get those unless you have lots of money to burn.
    I have a soldering iron somewhere, but I need to find it so I can poke the eyes out of the person who hid it.

28. Post #108
    July 2010
    4,096 Posts
    WTF? Why? I can barely survive 4 lessons and then get the lunch and survive next 2-3 lessons. It would be fucking destroying yourself without eating. Concentration is super hard while hungry..
    i never eat at school anyway
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #109
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    I wish Google Drive offered more that month by month payments, like biannual payment plans for like $12 for 25GB.
    Funny thing is, if you had more storage space ordered for Gmail before Drive was out, you are getting that space for Drive too, for the same price as before.

Damn, I knew I should've ordered that 200GB plan.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events

30. Post #110
    April 2009
    6,187 Posts
    I really have no use for cloud storage. My server's RAID array isn't going to fail anytime soon.

Still, nice to have.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #111
    August 2009
    388 Posts
    Funny thing is, if you had more storage space ordered for Gmail before Drive was out, you are getting that space for Drive too, for the same price as before.

I wont be looking at google drive till tomorrow but 25GB is 2.49$ a month? Seems cheap unless I'm stupid.
    Also, multiple Gmail accounts = multiple drive boxes? Wonder how long it'll take for someone to make an app to let you switch between them easily. I have 3 gmail accounts because I lost the password to the first for a while, forgot I owned the second, then found the password to the first in a .txt file after I made the third (I'm an idiot). I could have a drive for photos, a drive for schoolwork and one for everything else.

Pretty sure the keyboard tray on my desk will fall off soon, it keeps ticking like it's straining when I type.

32. Post #112
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,793 Posts
    I really have no use for cloud storage. My server's RAID array isn't going to fail anytime soon.

Still, nice to have.
    Unless there's a fire in your server :p

Data doesn't exist unless it's in three isolated locations and most importantly RAID is not a backup.
    I live by that and hopefully I'll always have the files I want within my backup triangle.

33. Post #113
    April 2009
    6,187 Posts
    Unless there's a fire in your server :p

Data doesn't exist unless it's in three isolated locations and most importantly RAID is not a backup.
    I live by that and hopefully I'll always have the files I want within my backup triangle.
    All my important stuff is locked up in a safe, and the other copies of the data are off-site.

34. Post #114
    kill yourself
    May 2008
    4,060 Posts
    Should i buy the Asus maximus V gene z77 or should i wait for extreme or formula?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Norway Show Events

35. Post #115
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,431 Posts
    God, just closed Google chrome after having Facepunch open for some 12 hours. Freed up 2 of my 8GB RAM. God fuck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #116
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,485 Posts

5 GB free? I'd consider switching for that but I've got 6.4 GB on my Dropbox (two referrals and that photo thing).

still, neat
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

37. Post #117
    1 Dollar
    June 2005
    1,896 Posts
    Phone mysteries: Two identical USB plugs. One of them fails to charge my phone. The failing one was confirmed to output electric current with 5V of voltage as the standard specifies.
    My desktop does the same thing. The thing was once any significant draw was put on it, the port would stop or fail to provide enough power for my phone.
    For a few days I plugged it in saw the charging icon on my phone, but it turned out right when I looked away it would stop.

38. Post #118
    August 2009
    9,333 Posts
    Bloody hell i've just had one hell of a power supply failure.

Plugged it into an iffy motherboard, southbridge got REALLY REALLY fucking hot, all of a sudden, BANG, the PSU now has a load of smoke coming from it, the downstairs outlet power went out, and the PSU has taken a new shape.

Macron PSUs, not even once.

Edited:

Currently it's in the back garden to air out that awful smell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

39. Post #119
    April 2011
    3,165 Posts
    did you get the mysterious blue smoke?

40. Post #120
    August 2009
    9,333 Posts
    Yes

and lots of it.