1. Post #721
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,624 Posts
    Your problem is you're using the thrust pack. With your nitrons and the fuckton of energy you get by not using the thrust pack you can easily build up speed and tackle hills. There's also a bunch of quirks in the jetpack logic, like holding the opposite direction's movement key will make you go faster, and these apply even more to the heavy classes.
    I don't use my thrust pack when chasing unless I hit a tree or something and came to a dead stop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

2. Post #722
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,821 Posts
    I don't use my thrust pack when chasing unless I hit a tree or something and came to a dead stop.
    That's nice. I mean you have it equipped instead of the far more useful energy pack.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #723
    April 2008
    1,242 Posts
    Your problem is you're using the thrust pack. With your nitrons and the fuckton of energy you get by not using the thrust pack you can easily build up speed and tackle hills. Doubly so with the potential energy perk. There's also a bunch of quirks in the jetpack logic, like holding the opposite direction's movement key will make you go faster, and these apply even more to the heavy classes.
    The Jetpack has a speed cap of 74 sanic. If you either, spin or alternate wa or sd, you jet faster.
    I think it has to do with some quirks in the math they use to limit its speed.

That's nice. I mean you have it equipped instead of the far more useful energy pack.
    Energy pack makes you regen 20% faster, you get 14 energy/sec as a light. 16.8 energy/sec with energy pack. There aren't many routes that need the extra energy. The versatility of the jump pack is just awesome when dueling.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #724
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,210 Posts
    I think thrust packs are more useful for chasing since you can go from 0 to 130 with a click of a button
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

5. Post #725
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    9,016 Posts
    So I'm playing as a 3/4 upgraded pathfinder with fully upgraded thrust pack. Even the biggest of hills aren't even a problem for me any more. I can sail around the map 150+ easily. Even more if I use various boosting techniques.

Encounter a heavy and start to duel with him. He gets close to dieing and flees. He starts skiing backwards (so he can fire at me) down a small hill and backward skii/jet's up one of the biggest hills in raindance. Not only is he not slowed down at alll, he actually manages to completely escape me (while going backwards). I have nitrons, my spinfuser, and my thrust pack at my disposal and yet a juggernaut with his limited jetpack and weight (and no energy pack) can outpace me. What the fuck.

I assumed that the biggest downside to playing as a heavy was the lack of speed and jetpack. Clearly I assumed incorrectly.
    Ultra Capacitor I and II, good skii skills and self spinfusor shots for boost.

I can reach 290 sanics as Brute and I see Doombringers at 300 sanics with heavy crossbows and Ultra capacitor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chile Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #726
    December 2007
    2,827 Posts
    He went down a small hill and up a big hill.

It doesn't work that way.
    Makes about as much sense as 50% projectile inhertance. The laws of physics only kind of apply in Tribes Ascend.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

7. Post #727
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,624 Posts
    I don't play CTF, I play CaH.

The ability to change direction instantly and at high speed is a huge bonus when in a duel. Slight energy regen bonus? Not so much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

8. Post #728
    Resplendent Reenactor
    June 2010
    18,597 Posts
    Oh my god

I just got this

IT'S AWESOME!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree x 7Disagree x 6Optimistic x 1Winner x 1Informative x 1Useful x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #729
    May 2009
    465 Posts
    I have a question, do skins count towards the percentage of a class because I want to get the new raider smg but if I need the skins to have a class mastered then i'll just wait for another update and spend my xp on that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

10. Post #730
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,626 Posts
    I have a question, do skins count towards the percentage of a class because I want to get the new raider smg but if I need the skins to have a class mastered then i'll just wait for another update and spend my xp on that.
    who cares about % unlocked???
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

11. Post #731
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    15,512 Posts
    hey guys the vod for my teams match against puppykisses is up.

p.s. this was our very first scrim and we scrimmed against a moderately well-made up team as well as on tribescast main channel.

http://blip.tv/tribescast/emporium-v...atch-1-6122504
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #732
    May 2010
    6,737 Posts
    So I'm away from my gaming PC for a few months...I come back ready to play some tribes...NOPE TIME TO DOWNLOAD 100 UPDATES

fuck you hirez learn to cumulative patch

Edited:

why aren't I a gold member yet
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #733
    May 2009
    465 Posts
    who cares about % unlocked???
    Its an OCD thing, why does it matter to you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

14. Post #734
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    6,116 Posts
    So when's this Facepunch game thingamajic?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events

15. Post #735
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    9,992 Posts
    Whenever, this Saturday?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

16. Post #736
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,624 Posts
    Oh my god

I just got this

IT'S AWESOME!
    It's a extremely arcade-y FPS with painfully generic gamemodes, very loose class roles, very little base assets, and a increasingly disturbing free2play model which results in horrific imbalance.

It has decent gunplay and movement system. I would say the game is average, but not AWESOME. It has a long way to go before I can ever consider it worthy of bearing the Tribes badge.

Trust me. The novelty factor wears of fast.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 11Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #737
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    9,992 Posts
    I'll get us on the newbloods area.

Edited:

automerge cunt
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #738
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,624 Posts
    fuck you the golden
    Someone shit in your morning coffee?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

19. Post #739
    July 2010
    3,573 Posts
    hey guys the vod for my teams match against puppykisses is up.

p.s. this was our very first scrim and we scrimmed against a moderately well-made up team as well as on tribescast main channel.

http://blip.tv/tribescast/emporium-v...atch-1-6122504
    I hope you have Triskele working on routes :v
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

20. Post #740
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    15,512 Posts
    I hope you have Triskele working on routes :v
    he's level 12.

also he's gonna get coached by smallkiwi tonight.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

21. Post #741
    December 2007
    2,827 Posts
    So are we gonna do some practice this weekend or what is the deal here?

22. Post #742
    Ask me about my 'female train' fetish.
    Dennab
    January 2006
    5,457 Posts
    I think the problem is old tribes was heavily vehicle/base asset focused. I mean back in tribes 2 turrets would just rape you and you had to pick them off our use vehicles like the Havoc to get in quick and attack en masse.

In TA you just ski past them and you're pretty much fine unless they're L4's.

Problem I think with TA is that the generator in most maps means fuck all. Take Katabatic for example. The turrets mean fuck all because of their shitty positions and unless you have a doombringer for forcefields, and even then the gen is always down.

It just becomes a case of "Who can cluster-fuck the flag stand" and "Which team has the best pathfinders."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #743
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,624 Posts
    Most of the most exciting and balanced CTF games I've had are when the gens are down and no one is fixing them. It just goes to show how unimportant they actually are to being successful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #744
    wow ok
    December 2007
    16,444 Posts
    I think the problem is old tribes was heavily vehicle/base asset focused. I mean back in tribes 2 turrets would just rape you and you had to pick them off our use vehicles like the Havoc to get in quick and attack en masse.

In TA you just ski past them and you're pretty much fine unless they're L4's.

Problem I think with TA is that the generator in most maps means fuck all. Take Katabatic for example. The turrets mean fuck all because of their shitty positions and unless you have a doombringer for forcefields, and even then the gen is always down.

It just becomes a case of "Who can cluster-fuck the flag stand" and "Which team has the best pathfinders."
    The front base turrets on Arx Novena and Crossfire are pretty useful though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

25. Post #745
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,210 Posts

hnnng
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

26. Post #746
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    778 Posts
    What do you plan to buy?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Honduras Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #747
    JDB
    July 2007
    2,854 Posts
    I had 173k when I logged in

spent it all on raider
    i like explosions
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

28. Post #748
    Ask me about my 'female train' fetish.
    Dennab
    January 2006
    5,457 Posts
    Most of the most exciting and balanced CTF games I've had are when the gens are down and no one is fixing them. It just goes to show how unimportant they actually are to being successful.
    Yes but after a while "Retrieve our flag!" "Capture the enemy flag!" gets incredibly tiresome and boring as fuck. Generators - and by extension deployables and turrets - going up and down adds variety.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

29. Post #749
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,210 Posts
    What do you plan to buy?
    I don't know
    I'll probably get 100k, feel accomplished and spend it on something I'll regret later

30. Post #750
    July 2008
    2,134 Posts
    how the fuck do people draw so good

when i try and draw with a tablet i end up looking like a retard drawing a pineapple
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

31. Post #751
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    9,016 Posts
    Yes but after a while "Retrieve our flag!" "Capture the enemy flag!" gets incredibly tiresome and boring as fuck. Generators - and by extension deployables and turrets - going up and down adds variety.
    The problem is most people plays pathfinder and soldier so they dont give two fucks about the generator. I hate when the team game gets overthrow by a pathfinder crossbow team deathmatch or juggy deathmatch spam and techs/ doombringers suffer the most.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chile Show Events

32. Post #752
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,855 Posts
    So I'm away from my gaming PC for a few months...I come back ready to play some tribes...NOPE TIME TO DOWNLOAD 100 UPDATES

fuck you hirez learn to cumulative patch

Edited:

why aren't I a gold member yet
    Gold for 2 years and 2k posts was removed about a year ago. You have to buy it or get 5 years and 100 posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #753
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,210 Posts
    Gold for 2 years and 2k posts was removed about a year ago. You have to buy it or get 5 years and 100 posts
    ftfy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #754
    July 2010
    3,573 Posts
    how the fuck do people draw so good

when i try and draw with a tablet i end up looking like a retard drawing a pineapple
    My new year's resolution was to draw more because I'm jealous of others' skill of drawing. Though I can't draw with a tablet either, I use my Nintendo 3DS. It still helps.

went from this
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/k1v3vv7xtx...I_0040_JPG.JPG
    to this in about 2.5 months (it looks better on the smaller screen really)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ltryrbq5723b1w/HNI_0005.JPG

Linked because not tribes related.

Also an artist in a draw thread said that using a tablet is like learning the keyboard again. Do it enough so you don't have to look at both the screen and the tablet.

TL;DR-Draw more to get better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #755
    July 2008
    2,134 Posts
    Is there a draw general (for tablets and all that)?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

36. Post #756
    December 2007
    2,827 Posts
    My new year's resolution was to draw more because I'm jealous of others' skill of drawing. Though I can't draw with a tablet either, I use my Nintendo 3DS. It still helps.

went from this
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/k1v3vv7xtx...I_0040_JPG.JPG
    to this in about 2.5 months (it looks better on the smaller screen really)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ltryrbq5723b1w/HNI_0005.JPG

Linked because not tribes related.

Also an artist in a draw thread said that using a tablet is like learning the keyboard again. Do it enough so you don't have to look at both the screen and the tablet.

TL;DR-Draw more to get better.
    It's strange, I actually devoted more of my drawing skill to making more cartoony things and less realistic things. It's a good way to get the hang of the fundamentals as you get more of a feel for proportions and all that than color/shading.

37. Post #757
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    10,366 Posts
    Best way to improve drawing skills is to draw from life on a constant basis. Objects, people, anything.
    Even cartoony stuff needs this sort of practice.

You can immediately tell the difference between a cartoon drawn by someone who started out and only draws cartoony/anime stuff and a person who is incredibly disciplined at drawing very realistic things.

38. Post #758
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    16,013 Posts
    omg stop with the drawing discussion
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #759
    We Drop Bows On 'Em
    November 2009
    6,552 Posts
    Every day I play this game the community and players just seem to get worse, it's either someone spamming "noobs lol l2p" or "dumb pay 2 win game no balance", you have to mute half the players so you don't get constant text and VGS spam filling up a corner of your screen (not like deliberate spam, but people repeating the thing they want people to do 10 times, like repair our generator)

=(

Edited:

There are still some pretty cool people playing too though, there are still people that will use "nice shot" if you mid-air them instead of "fucking pay 2 win noob"

Edited:

I must have been called a hitscan noob for using the Rhino SMG (aka the infiltrator starting weapon, a projectile SMG) more that twice now in the past week since I started using it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

40. Post #760
    itty bitty silly pretty little pony
    September 2011
    7,380 Posts
    I played soldier once and got yelled at for using hitscan weapons after my first kill
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)