1. Post #1
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,081 Posts
    Just like the Loch Ness Monster, you may have heard the rumors about Google Drive. It turns out, one of the two actually does exist.

Today, we’re introducing Google Drive—a place where you can create, share, collaborate, and keep all of your stuff. Whether you’re working with a friend on a joint research project, planning a wedding with your fiancé or tracking a budget with roommates, you can do it in Drive. You can upload and access all of your files, including videos, photos, Google Docs, PDFs and beyond.

With Google Drive, you can:
    Create and collaborate. Google Docs is built right into Google Drive, so you can work with others in real time on documents, spreadsheets and presentations. Once you choose to share content with others, you can add and reply to comments on anything (PDF, image, video file, etc.) and receive notifications when other people comment on shared items.
    Store everything safely and access it anywhere (especially while on the go). All your stuff is just... there. You can access your stuff from anywhere—on the web, in your home, at the office, while running errands and from all of your devices. You can install Drive on your Mac or PC and can download the Drive app to your Android phone or tablet. We’re also working hard on a Drive app for your iOS devices. And regardless of platform, blind users can access Drive with a screen reader.
    Search everything. Search by keyword and filter by file type, owner and more. Drive can even recognize text in scanned documents using Optical Character Recognition (OCR) technology. Let’s say you upload a scanned image of an old newspaper clipping. You can search for a word from the text of the actual article. We also use image recognition so that if you drag and drop photos from your Grand Canyon trip into Drive, you can later search for [grand canyon] and photos of its gorges should pop up. This technology is still in its early stages, and we expect it to get better over time.
    You can get started with 5GB of storage for free—that’s enough to store the high-res photos of your trip to the Mt. Everest, scanned copies of your grandparents’ love letters or a career’s worth of business proposals, and still have space for the novel you’re working on. You can choose to upgrade to 25GB for $2.49/month, 100GB for $4.99/month or even 1TB for $49.99/month. When you upgrade to a paid account, your Gmail account storage will also expand to 25GB.

Drive is built to work seamlessly with your overall Google experience. You can attach photos from Drive to posts in Google+, and soon you’ll be able to attach stuff from Drive directly to emails in Gmail. Drive is also an open platform, so we’re working with many third-party developers so you can do things like send faxes, edit videos and create website mockups directly from Drive. To install these apps, visit the Chrome Web Store—and look out for even more useful apps in the future.

This is just the beginning for Google Drive; there’s a lot more to come.

Get started with Drive today at drive.google.com/start—and keep looking for Nessie
    http://googleblog.blogspot.co.uk/201...es-really.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 21Late Late x 4Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,167 Posts
    aw i thought this was going to be a mass produced version of their self driven car
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 62Funny Funny x 5Disagree Disagree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,081 Posts
    I really like how they visually represented files and devices in the video
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    2,922 Posts
    I still prefer Dropbox and Box.com unless Drive gives me a large storage space.

5. Post #5
    I still prefer Dropbox and Box.com unless Drive gives me a large storage space.
    I prefer live skydrive with having 25gb.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    $5/year for 100GB of storage?

SIGN ME UP!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Funny Funny x 13Zing Zing x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,821 Posts
    Excellent, I can finally get rid of dropbox. The ability to view psd files and edit documents from the web client are perfect for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    damn
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Funny Funny x 19Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    450 Posts
    Doesn't allow me to create a public link like Dropbox. Don't think I will be using this then.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

11. Post #11
    December 2009
    1,239 Posts
    Doesn't allow me to create a public link like Dropbox. Don't think I will be using this then.
    I will, especially with it being part of Google docs, now. Doing group projects has never been easier.

12. Post #12
    RP.
    September 2005
    128 Posts
    I really like the competition for Dropbox.
    My guess is that by next week my Dropbox storage will increase by at least 2x :)

However it's going to be really annoying very soon when everyone uses a different service and sharing files going to get difficult again because you're using dropbox, someone else uses Google Drive and that weird guy that uses SkyDrive (like there is always one weird guy that still uses Yahoo! mail...).

13. Post #13
    June 2010
    6,146 Posts
    Eh, I think I'll stick with Dropbox. I like the friendly service and I've already kinda migrated there, switching to Google's version seems as unnecessary as switching browsers (since they all basically got the same functionality by now, even the latest IE version apparently), plus I don't like the idea of Google getting more data gathering opportunities. Not saying they'll scan what I'm uploading there, but they don't need to do that for their kind of datamining.

I dunno, maybe I just like rooting for the underdog unless there's some real benefit for me to switch services.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,367 Posts
    Gmail has also been bumped up to 10 GB of storage

No idea why they've given Gmail twice as much space as this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Titlepocalypse 2012 participant
    November 2010
    7,935 Posts
    You still can, you just have to do it on the web interface.

Edited:

Although the ability to choose what I want to be public is kind of nice.
    I'm on the fence between GDrive and Dropbox.

16. Post #16

Because ooh more GB is shiny. No one's ever filling up 10gb of email space.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

17. Post #17
    July 2010
    966 Posts
    It does allow you to create a public link?
    Link
    Edit: Nvm, it is a public link, but it's not really a direct link like Dropbox.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Eyes like a god damn hawk
    March 2011
    4,680 Posts
    I still don't have access to Google Drive. There i just a Notify Me button, which says they'll setup your Google Drive and send you an e-mail once it's done. :smith:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Serbia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    5,159 Posts
    Holy shit! 799$ a month for 16TB.

20. Post #20
    November 2010
    7,935 Posts
    I still don't have access to Google Drive. There i just a Notify Me button, which says they'll setup your Google Drive and send you an e-mail once it's done. :smith:
    I had the ACCESS DENIED page until I cleared my cache.

21. Post #21
    March 2011
    4,680 Posts
    It's not that. I just get the Notify Me button. And it says they'll send me an e-mail once Google Drive is set up.

22. Post #22
    November 2010
    7,935 Posts
    It's not that. I just get the Notify Me button. And it says they'll send me an e-mail once Google Drive is set up.
    Well still try clearing your cache.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    March 2011
    4,680 Posts
    FireFox 11 automatically does it for me. Thanks for the tip though.

24. Post #24
    November 2010
    7,935 Posts
    Oh, where are you?

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    Still says my account is not ready for Drive, even though I signed up for the waiting list pretty much in the same minute the site became public.

26. Post #26
    March 2011
    4,680 Posts
    Southern EU.

27. Post #27
    October 2007
    547 Posts
    Link

snip

Nevermind the URL changes so the picture link gets broken really quick.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    450 Posts
    Link
    That's what I mean, I would prefer if it did it like Dropbox. But at the moment it doesn't and it's not very convenient to go into the web app and make something public.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    November 2010
    7,935 Posts
    Still says my account is not ready for Drive, even though I signed up for the waiting list pretty much in the same minute the site became public.
    Southern EU.
    Probably US only.

30. Post #30
    October 2007
    547 Posts
    Nope, works fine in Sweden and it works for a friend of mine who lives in Poland.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    March 2011
    4,680 Posts
    Got a friend in Denmark, also has only Notify Me button.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,729 Posts

Email is a safer bet for over'selling'

33. Post #33
    November 2010
    7,935 Posts
    Uploading with the Android app, you can't choose which folder to put. I might go back to Dropbox and wait for this to get better.

34. Post #34
    December 2008
    223 Posts

WUT 10 GB?

I have 12 mb on web.de
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 12 (list)

35. Post #35
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,100 Posts
    GMail's storage space has increased overtime, hell it's increasing right now (by the bits)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,049 Posts
    "Your Google Drive is not ready".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 4 (list)

37. Post #37
    November 2010
    7,935 Posts
    Is it just me or is Google just doing random new stuff just to compete with others, but not really making them special?

Examples:
    Google+
    Google Drive

Edited:

I guess all their services started like that though...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,100 Posts
    Is it just me or is Google just doing random new stuff just to compete with others, but not really making them special?

Examples:
    Google+
    Google Drive

Edited:

I guess all their services started like that though...
    Google+ was the better version of Google Wave
    Google Drive is just new right now, taking on DropBox, Box.Net, etc. (not sure if there was one before)

I don't think Google Drive will be a failure like Google Wave though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Mombasa's Hubby :3
    October 2008
    3,886 Posts
    Google+ is incredible, the only problem is Facebook is too entrenched.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    15,138 Posts
    None of my friends use google+
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)