1. Post #1
    Half Life 2: Call of Duty meets Minecraft

February 2012
    13,545 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny Funny x 15 (list)

2. Post #2
    Ask me about my Guardians of the Galaxy fetish.
    September 2010
    9,008 Posts
    BioWare realizes that Star Wars: The Old Republic needs new content to entice players to revisit the game regularly
    That and so much more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Zing Zing x 8Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,850 Posts
    Of course. Every MMO that comes out nowadays claim to be a "wow-killer", but they always fail. And kind of fade away
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8 (list)

4. Post #4
    I Love Gaylo 4
    April 2006
    10,140 Posts
    Sure, SWTOR has it's share of problems, it is taking time to make the game what the players want it to be. But I am sure Bioware will do just that! 1.2 was a big step in the right direction, and I don't think they will do anything to make the game worse, only better. And I highly doubt this game will be fading away any time soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 7Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    my portfolio
    Dennab
    April 2012
    1,392 Posts
    Maybe if it wasn't exclusive to Origin; I would play it..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 13Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    I Love Gaylo 4
    April 2006
    10,140 Posts
    Maybe if it wasn't exclusive to Origin; I would play it..
    It's not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    June 2011
    8,631 Posts
    Of course. Every MMO that comes out nowadays claim to be a "wow-killer", but they always fail. And kind of fade away
    Holy fuck you're dumb.

1. It never claimed to be a "wow-killer", in fact when someone brought this up at a Q&A thing they got shot down and were told they could play both games because this wasn't trying to kill anything.

2. It's not failing, any other MMO would have lost almost it's entire player base by now, rather than lose everyone it's stabilized, which hasn't happened with any other MMOs (besides WoW).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    I Love Gaylo 4
    April 2006
    10,140 Posts
    Holy fuck you're dumb.
    2. It's not failing, any other MMO would have lost almost it's entire player base by now, rather than lose everyone it's stabilized, which hasn't happened with any other MMOs (besides WoW).
    Many MMO's have stabilized like this, saying any other MMO's besides WoW is incorrect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,595 Posts
    Things like a robust "group finder" are in the works
    I'll come back of this pans out ala WoW's dungeon finder.

10. Post #10
    my portfolio
    Dennab
    April 2012
    1,392 Posts
    It's not.

I can either buy the physical copy for 129.99, or download it through Origin for 45. (Which is still a very high price when you consider the monthly fee.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 16Disagree Disagree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,595 Posts
    It's digitally exclusive to origin; you can pick up the box and never install Origin if you want.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    RG4
    November 2010
    2,891 Posts
    It's digitally exclusive to origin; you can pick up the box and never install Origin if you want.
    He's right, you don't need Origin to play this.

13. Post #13
    I HAVE SEVERE AUTISM AND IM FRIENDS WITH BRONYS
    April 2006
    2,740 Posts
    Yeah, I bought the physical copy from Tesco for 30 or less and don't even use origin.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,583 Posts

I can either buy the physical copy for 129.99, or download it through Origin for 45. (Which is still a very high price when you consider the monthly fee.)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Th.../dp/B005DD6R6A

I live in America and I found it for fucking 18 through Amazon. I don't know where you got the whole 130 thing.

15. Post #15
    I Love Gaylo 4
    April 2006
    10,140 Posts

The fact is it does not require Origin to use, hell I bought mine through origin and didn't link it Origin, my game is 100% Origin free.

If price is the problem for you, then buy it from a key site like G2play.net or intkeys.

16. Post #16
    July 2009
    2,319 Posts
    They wont really have time to make any new content before the entire player base slips out of there grasp. The only way I see them getting more people is if they become a F2P model. But I doubt that isnt going to happen anytime soon seeing Bioware is quite a stubborn company (Me3 endings).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,595 Posts
    They wont really have time to make any new content before the entire player base slips out of there grasp. The only way I see them getting more people is if they become a F2P model. But I doubt that isnt going to happen anytime soon seeing Bioware is quite a stubborn company (Me3 endings).
    Considering Warhammer Online isn't F2P yet I doubt we will see SWTOR go F2P anytime soon.

18. Post #18
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,419 Posts
    There's a bunch of MMORPG's out there that seem more interesting to me than TOR...
    ...like AION and the graphics with AION are also better.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,850 Posts
    Holy fuck you're dumb.

1. It never claimed to be a "wow-killer", in fact when someone brought this up at a Q&A thing they got shot down and were told they could play both games because this wasn't trying to kill anything.

Wow, thanks bro. Asshole.

By "wow-killer" I meant that a lot of the MMO community were stating that it would be a wow-killer.

Also, I wasn't talking about SWTOR specifically, I was talking about every MMO that comes out these days, like Aion, Rift and Warhammer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,104 Posts

Wow the collectors edition is 129 normally? I got it for 50 at my GAME store the day before it closed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    This is -- excuse me -- a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
    August 2008
    8,795 Posts
    Maybe if it wasn't an MMO it'd be doing better.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    19,677 Posts
    Everyone says the King that is WoW will sit in its mighty throne and no other MMO shall touch it

But WoW has had almost 9 years of development time, with the full game and all the expansion packs costing over $100 just to get into it at one point. WoW had half the content at launch, if that, than TOR, and it sure as shit isn't fun grinding to the ever increasing level cap in WoW like TOR

TOR's been out for 4 months. 4

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    17,925 Posts
    Been playing since Launch (plus 2 beta test weekends before launch)

Still loving it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    I Love Gaylo 4
    April 2006
    10,140 Posts
    Been playing since Launch (plus 2 beta test weekends before launch)

Still loving it.
    I've been playing it for almost a year back when the first playtesting sessions started.

Sill loving it.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,053 Posts
    Started playing at launch, quickly stopped.
    Started playing again a week ago and loving it.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,283 Posts
    Gentlemen, it's been an honor playing with you tonight.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    December 2009
    3,006 Posts
    I want a realistic MMO, were you actually live and create the world around you. In the style of Wurm Online.

28. Post #28
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    I want a realistic MMO, were you actually live and create the world around you. In the style of Wurm Online.
    As long as it doesn't take 20 years to do anything and theres animations/the most basic of a rudimentary physics engine.

29. Post #29
    I Love Gaylo 4
    April 2006
    10,140 Posts
    Started playing at launch, quickly stopped.
    Started playing again a week ago and loving it.
    Yeah, I did stop playing in between 1.1 and 1.2, but after 1.2 came out I am hooked again.

Edited:

As awesome as that sounds, I want to do that in real life, so it's better off I don't buy a game where I can do that. xD

30. Post #30
    October 2009
    592 Posts
    every mmo ive played (rift aion champoins online) has gone though this stage. Played rift at launch for a couple months before it started to die stoped then came back 3 or 4 months later and it had bounced back hard. Last I heard its still gaining subs in large numbers. So theres still hope for swtor.

edit: it shits me when people expect an mmo to be epic on launch. Developers have to eventualy stop developing and start making money the beauty of an mmo is the money keeps coming in so they can keep developing after launch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    I Love Gaylo 4
    April 2006
    10,140 Posts
    it shits me when people expect an mmo to be epic on launch. Developers have to eventualy stop developing and start making money the beauty of an mmo is the money keeps coming in so they can keep developing after launch.
    This 1000 times!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2005
    4,680 Posts
    in my opinion TOR's setting, star wars, is too niche for an MMO to attract the massive fanbase that they want

part of what I think has made WoW so successful is that it's very easily approachable by non-fantasy fans because it's superficially very generic fantasy material. it has humans, orcs, elves, undead, dragons etc. Everybody can easily identify the aspects of it (even the name Warcraft is not specific to anything in particular) and I think that helps people that may be reluctant warm up to it

but with star wars: the old republic, well, a lot of people just won't be interested in playing a star wars game, and paying monthly for it, because the subject matter is too specific to fall within their interests. I like star wars well enough, and I loved KotOR, but I have no inclination to play this. star wars just doesn't call to me enough to warrant playing an MMO based around it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    I'd buy that for a dollar
    Dennab
    September 2008
    5,876 Posts
    That didn't last too long.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,915 Posts
    Another crappy MMO on its way to becoming another crappy Free To Play after the same tired crappy MMO formula once again fails.

Just make good SP / MP games. Can we have another Jedi Knight? Battlefront? Republic Commando? Maybe a 'racing' game in a similar vein to Episode 1 Racer. Or a new Shadows of the Empire styled title with Multiplayer?

ANYTHING but more MMO's and (eventually) free to play shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    January 2009
    3,890 Posts
    in my opinion TOR's setting, star wars, is too niche for an MMO to attract the massive fanbase that they want

part of what I think has made WoW so successful is that it's very easily approachable by non-fantasy fans because it's superficially very generic fantasy material. it has humans, orcs, elves, undead, dragons etc. Everybody can easily identify the aspects of it (even the name Warcraft is not specific to anything in particular) and I think that helps people that may be reluctant warm up to it

but with star wars: the old republic, well, a lot of people just won't be interested in playing a star wars game, and paying monthly for it, because the subject matter is too specific to fall within their interests. I like star wars well enough, and I loved KotOR, but I have no inclination to play this. star wars just doesn't call to me enough to warrant playing an MMO based around it.
    Excuse me did you just say that star wars is a niche setting that people don't want video games for.
    Also did you forget the eight years that star wars galaxies ran for.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    17,925 Posts
    Excuse me did you just say that star wars is a niche setting that people don't want video games for.
    Well Galaxies was quite different from other MMOs at the time, until Sony came a long and dumbed it down.

37. Post #37
    I Love Gaylo 4
    April 2006
    10,140 Posts
    Well Galaxies was quite different from other MMOs at the time, until Sony came a long and dumbed it down.
    IMO SWTOR is alot better than what SWG was Post NGE. I miss my PRE NGE Jedi dammit!!!! :*(

Edited:

Another crappy MMO on its way to becoming another crappy Free To Play after the same tired crappy MMO formula once again fails.
    SWTOR has a long road to go before it goes F2P, it amazes me that how people think a project that costed over 200 million dollars to produce would go free to play in such little time. Yes, we know it's been a shaky launch, but it's only been getting better since 1.2 and the fixes, improvement, additions, it has made to the game. I expect 1.3 to do exactly that! Don't like the game? Don't play it, but do not expect it to crash and burn so easily.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    7,271 Posts
    I got it at release, got up to like 44 or something and stopped playing.

TOR isn't a terrible game by anymeans. They managed to make questing fun and engaging, however that can only take the game so far. For me it feels bland, the environments and exploration are not doing any justice to the Star Wars name/lore. Maybe I'm being terribly critical, but when SWG came out it had its fair share of problems, but the lore in the game was so in tuned with what fans liked and wanted it worked. You could explore whole planets, go to major points of interests of both lore and in the movies. You got to see and interact with big name characters, plus it was a social/community game. It wasn't like you where stuck on a rail and could only go a certain way, you could spend as much time exploring and doing what you like and still progress in the game. TOR lacks all these aspects, the stories can be fun and engaging depending on the class but each planet really lacks life. For example Tatooine for me was really depressing, it lacked so much and could have been a lot better. You just feel as if you're on this linear road. After a while quests become more trouble-sum then fun, and instances/raiding are all the same.

I honestly forgot about it till I saw the sub-payment pop up on my bank statement. Then I went a head and canceled till they get more done.

It should have been pushed back in all honesty, however I give credit to bioware for such a smooth release with out any major hick-ups, but they really needed more content. They need something that separates it from the rest of the games. SWG the only other Star Wars MMO managed to last like almost 10 years even after shitty updates.

I want TOR to be successful, but I think people are tried of the typical grind/questing and pvp type games. Hell, look at WoW, its sub-base is declining and a lot of people are quitting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    November 2007
    2,567 Posts
    Tor isn't a terrible game, it is a mediocre game.
    It doesn't really do anything of substance that other MMOs don't already do better. TOR really is just a WoW clone except worse in most ways. That is really the shame with TOR, it was a super hyped, high production, mediocre game and it shows.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2005
    4,680 Posts
    no i didn't

i said that it's too niche a setting for an mmo to attract the massive subscriber count that you typically aim for with an mmo

galaxies did not have a massive subscriber count regardless of how long it ran for