1. Post #1
    Premature Joculation
    April 2009
    7,886 Posts
    Drag racing has always been a big thing in my family. It's essentially how I became interested in cars. When most people hear "drag race," 2 things usually come to mind, depending on who the person is. One possibility could be street racing. Pull up to the light, rev your engine, go on green. That's not what this thread is about. This thread is about 2 guys (or girls) pulling up to the Christmas tree, hitting the green light, and speeding down that quarter-mile strip of asphalt to see who finishes first.

NHRA
    The NHRA is essentially the major league of drag racing. It has many recognizable names, including John Force, Greg Anderson, Larry Dixon, and many others. Most races last for under 5 seconds, so if you blink, you may miss it. There are 4 main types of vehicles.

Nitro Funny Car
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funny_Car

These are my personal favorite NHRA vehicles. They have a body shell that folds up to reveal the actual vehicle. They have some extreme power behind them, and when you're in the grand stands, you can feel the whole ground tremble under their might. When racing at night, you can see the flames shoot from the headers, which is always cool. Popular NHRA drivers in this class include John Force, Tony Pedregon and his brother Cruz Pedrego, and Robert Hight, among many others.

Top Fuel Dragster
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Fuel

Top fuel dragsters are usually long, slender vehicles with large rear wheels and smaller front wheels with a large spoiler in the rear. Most top fuel dragsters have the engine placed in the rear, although some, called slingshot dragsters, have the engine in front of the driver. Notable racers include Larry Dixon, Tony Schumacher, and Rod Fuller.

Pro Stock
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Stock

Pro stock is my dad's favorite class and my second favorite. It consists of cars that mostly resemble the model that the car is based on, except with a more streamlined figure. Engines rely on pure power. No turbochargers, superchargers, or nitrous is allowed. Popular drivers include Jeg Coughlin, Warren Johnson, Jason Line, and Greg Anderson.

Pro Stock Bikes
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Stock_Motorcycle

One of the less popular classes of NHRA. It is similar to the pro stock, but it uses motorcycles instead of cars. I'm not really a fan of it, but I give massive props to the drivers since this is probably the most dangerous of the classes. Popular racers include Antron Brown, Steve Johnson, and Chip Ellis.

Other Types of Racing
    Besides the NHRA, there is also the IHRA and the NMRA, which are more of the lower leagues. There are also different racing and car types.

Jet Car

Jet cars usually have a dragster or funny car body style and are powered by a large jet engine in the rear. They are extremely entertaining to watch. You can feel the heat and the shockwave even all the way up in the top section of the grand stands.

Wheel Standing

Attained with a ton of power in the front and some weights in the back, wheel standing or wheelie competitions are extremely fun to watch. It is quite risky to participate in since drivers run the risk of flipping onto the roof, but when everything goes good, it's all fun. Be prepared to see the sky. My home track in Byron, Illinois has a very popular annual wheel standing competition. Drivers come from all around the country. Last year we even had some drivers come down from Canada.

All of these videos are from Byron.

The following videos are all about a certain little orange Gremlin that's attended the Byron wheel standing contest for as long as I can remember, and even earlier than that. He's won many times, and he's also seen his number of flips and crashes.

Junior Dragsters

This actually has a family connection for me. My 12-year-old sister races a junior dragster and has since she was 8. It's kinda cool to tell others about it, but in reality it's somewhat boring to watch. Drivers start out by having a max ETA of 12.90 seconds in an 1/8 mile, then as they get older they can move up to 8.90 in an 1/8 and finally to a 7.90 in an 1/8. Cars have bodies similar to a top fuel dragster, but run on what is basically a hyped-up lawnmower motor powered by alcohol fuel.

Here is a picture of my sister's car. The title, Oscillaten Opal, is a spin on my late grandfather's own car, the Oscillaten Opel, a root beer-brown Opel that was very popular and well-known at Byron Dragway.
    Components of a Drag Race
    The 2 cars
    The 2 lanes
    The starting line
    The finish line
    The Christmas tree (set of lights at starting line)
    The scoreboards (boards at the finish line that display ETA, speed, and who won)
    Structure of a Drag Race

The Burnout
    A race generally begins with a burnout, which cleans and warms the tires and also adds a fresh coat of rubber for better traction. A good burnout creates a nice big smoke cloud and a nice smell of burning rubber.

The Pre-Stage
    After the burnout, the 2 cars pull up to the starting line to get pre-staged. This is represented by the top light on the Christmas tree.

The Stage
    Once both drivers are in pre-stage, they may move up a little bit farther to the stage. This is represented by the second light on the Christmas tree.

The Wait
    Not sure if this part has a true name or not, but I just call it the wait between stage and green light. This is represented by the 3 lights under the stage light. There are 2 types: sportsman, in which the 3 lights light up 1 at a time until it reaches green, and pro, in which all lights light up at once.

The Green Light
    This is the signal to go. Drivers strive to achieve the best possible reaction time, which is the amount of time it takes from the green light coming up to the time when the car leaves the line. If a driver leaves before the green light, they receive a red light and automatically lose the race. If both racers red light, then the race usually continues as normal.

The Race
    The actual race. This is the exciting bit. The 2 cars battle to the finish to try and win.

The Finish
    Drivers slow down and get off the track. Vehicles in the NHRA use a parachute mounted in the rear in order to slow down from the extreme speeds between 200 and 300 MPH. Most amateur cars do not need a parachute as they usually attain speeds of around 150 MPH.
    Some of my info about NHRA drivers may be a bit outdated as I haven't followed the pro series for a couple years. If you have any questions on drag racing, my dad or I should be able to answer. Feel free to chat about anything drag race related.

Now to begin the discussion. I plan on working with my dad to transform our meek 1972 Ford Pinto into a street-legal drag racing car. With it, I'll end up joining the high school league at Byron Dragway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,509 Posts
    USHRA does monster trucks too. They sometimes drag race.

3. Post #3
    Premature Joculation
    April 2009
    7,886 Posts
    Monster Jam is also another big part of my childhood, completely forgot to put it in the OP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    July 2008
    603 Posts
    You guys

There's a website that measures an approx of your drag racing

http://www.torquestats.com/modified/...bmit=Calculate

Well it's currently set to mine..

Power to Weight: 138 bhp/ton
    0-60: 7.7
    0-100: 22.3
    60-100: 14.6
    1/4 Mile ET: 16.19
    1/4 Mile Terminal: 86
    Dragstrip 1/4 Mile ET: 15.89
    Dragstrip 1/4 Mile Terminal: 88
    But still its good for estimates

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    590 Posts
    Power to Weight: 186 bhp/ton
    0-60: 5.9
    0-100: 15.0
    60-100: 9.1
    1/4 Mile ET: 14.22
    1/4 Mile Terminal: 96
    Dragstrip 1/4 Mile ET: 14.02
    Dragstrip 1/4 Mile Terminal: 100
    It's got the 0-60 right, no idea about the rest, haven't had a chance to run the 1/4-mile yet.

6. Post #6
    December 2011
    1,964 Posts
    Friends dad has a 60's ford falcon that runs high 11's i think.

Also, you should lurk /o/ on Friday, look for a thread started by 'piston' He basically dumps a shitload of pictures of old school drag racers.

Edited:

Low 10's rather

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Dennab
    July 2009
    7,650 Posts
    I once drag raced my r/c car vs my friends r/c car. Nothing like 2 little cars going 80+ right past you. shit's rad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Premature Joculation
    April 2009
    7,886 Posts
    Saturday I'm going up to Byron Dragway so I'll grab some vids and pics of the cool stuff. Last Saturday a guy had a nitro snowmobile.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    I once drag raced my r/c car vs my friends r/c car. Nothing like 2 little cars going 80+ right past you. shit's rad.
    I like seeing shit like that, R/C cars drag racing is some cool shit.

The stuff I never really understood is R/C Drifting.

I just... I don't understand why it's so cool. They're not rolling smoke off of the tires, they are just sliding around a lot. It's really boring.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,509 Posts
    http://www.torquestats.com/modified/...bmit=Calculate

Stock 2012 Honda Accord can do this? Better than I thought.

11. Post #11
    Dennab
    July 2009
    7,650 Posts
    http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Car_Sh..._28_Turbo.html
    This is what we raced. It was a little misleading saying they were ours. They're actually the local hobbyshop's. As long as you bring your own gas/battery, you can drive any car on display.

12. Post #12
    July 2011
    1,302 Posts
    when I was bone stock (23yo engine/turbo with shitty tyres)
    1/4 ET: 15.09
    mph: 89mph
    OMG that thing was SLOW back then

my cousin running 14.6 agaisnt my slow shit back then, celica 85 swapped 1uz-fe

after doing a incomplete BPU early in the summer last year
    1/4 ET: 13.83
    mph: 101.55
    and that was with the same shitty 225 goodyear T/A traction for a 3800lbs car and a badly slipping clutch.

I am waiting for warmer temps before going back to the strip but I hope to get 13.2 with my new clutch, complete APU and a piggyback tune (new engine too hehe)
    edit: oh yeah and my 275 nitto nt-05 for a better launch

13. Post #13
    November 2010
    902 Posts
    I like seeing shit like that, R/C cars drag racing is some cool shit.

The stuff I never really understood is R/C Drifting.

I just... I don't understand why it's so cool. They're not rolling smoke off of the tires, they are just sliding around a lot. It's really boring.
    that one of those more fun to do than watch. i need to get my sport maxx back out...

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,948 Posts
    I took my somewhat stock SR hatch to the strip a week ago.

On shitty 195-60-15's with camber wear from like -5 degrees of camber slammed on drift suspension, I ran a best of 14.54 at 99.7mph

15. Post #15
    November 2008
    2,018 Posts
    Kind of on the same boat with the OP, family is heavily into drag racing and that was pretty much my gateway to working on cars. Dad races in Outlaw 10.5 in a 540 twin turbo cuda going 6.8-ish at 212mph.
    We also have a 1968 Coronet with a all aluminum 547 that goes low 10s but has been de tuned a little for the street. My grandpa owned 4 original super stock hemi cars, a dart, 2 cuda's, and a GTX, I plan to get a 1968 Dart going and build a hemi with what I have around the garage.

Dads car

Coronet

Grandpas GTX (he sold all his hemi cars though)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    July 2007
    319 Posts
    my old boss was in the top ten last year for the nhra pro points. he run a 73(i think and a 69 firebird. the 73 is his track car and has a 544 in it. idk the gears or any thing els about it. i just worked on the farm trucks. and his 69 is just kind of a toy really. itll still run a ten second lap no problem but its more for show. we actualy has to go easy on it when he races it in the local aluimni here. or hell just break out. and his track car is the same. he get yelled at alot for going to fast. with the track car if he dosnt go easy hell get discslified for breaking the class speed rules. he dosnt like loseing very much so he dosnt want to run in supper pro :shrug: go figure right.