1. Post #9121
    Except you can kill the fucking guy.

All of that stuff about just how awesome he is was almost certainly religious propaganda.
    Well when you can consider that he did stop that moon thing from hitting Vivec, it's probably fair to assume a reasonable amount is based in truth.

Propaganda or not, it doesn't change the fact that he's a terribly written character. What personality he has is overshadowed by the mary sue-ness and deliberately cryptic nonsensical "fiction".

I don't consider morrowind to be a bad game by any stretch of the imagination, but holy shit does Vivec put me off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #9122
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    12,678 Posts
    Well when you can consider that he did stop that moon thing from hitting Vivec, it's probably fair to assume a reasonable amount is based in truth.

Propaganda or not, it doesn't change the fact that he's a terribly written character. What personality he has is overshadowed by the mary sue-ness and deliberately cryptic nonsensical "fiction".

I don't consider morrowind to be a bad game by any stretch of the imagination, but holy shit does Vivec put me off.
    What did you expect from someone with the power of a GOD? He's so badass and the Dunmer's world revolves around him because he is THEIR GOD, this doesn't mean he isn't a mary sue type but it's really appropriate IMO.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #9123
    July 2009
    1,398 Posts
    Is there a mod for skyrim that automatically gives you perks when you meet the level requirements for them?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

4. Post #9124
    Creator of the Gold Member Times
    November 2011
    1,619 Posts
    yes, autoperks

5. Post #9125
    July 2009
    1,398 Posts
    yes, autoperks
    Thanks, I hate the perk system so this should make it feel a bit better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

6. Post #9126
    What did you expect from someone with the power of a GOD? He's so badass and the Dunmer's world revolves around him because he is THEIR GOD, this doesn't mean he isn't a mary sue type but it's really appropriate IMO.
    Of course he's a god, but he's like a whole new level of God.

Most of the nine divines have barely any lore behind them, and they're the big daddies. The daedric princes have some humorous anecdotes by way of lore, but Vivec is ABSURD; he's only really had relevance in one game, and, from my experience, he's got more history behind him than Dibella and Arkay and Mara (evidenced by the fact I couldn't even remember Mara's name).
    I'm not hating that fact that the game has its lore focused in certain parts, that'll always happen, but I feel like Kirkbride was given this vast mythos to play with and he morphed a semi-obscure demi-god into a hermaphrodite Jesus-like mary sue.
    Because of this, he's become boring. "Oh please, tell me about how Vivec did this, did that, punched Akatosh in the balls and fucked Azura and shit was so cash"

This has rapidly become "Niall argues random, subjective points", so I'll try to tone it down for a while.

7. Post #9127

August 2011
    5,969 Posts
    Of course he's a god, but he's like a whole new level of God.

Most of the nine divines have barely any lore behind them, and they're the big daddies. The daedric princes have some humorous anecdotes by way of lore, but Vivec is ABSURD; he's only really had relevance in one game, and, from my experience, he's got more history behind him than Dibella and Arkay and Mara (evidenced by the fact I couldn't even remember Mara's name).
    I'm not hating that fact that the game has its lore focused in certain parts, that'll always happen, but I feel like Kirkbride was given this vast mythos to play with and he morphed a semi-obscure demi-god into a hermaphrodite Jesus-like mary sue.
    Because of this, he's become boring. "Oh please, tell me about how Vivec did this, did that, punched Akatosh in the balls and fucked Azura and shit was so cash"

This has rapidly become "Niall argues random, subjective points", so I'll try to tone it down for a while.
    The Nine Divines have no physical presence in the world and only have indirect influence. The Daedric princes also have somewhat limited influence. Vivec is a physical god who was once a man (or elf as the case may be). Also, the Dunmer are zealously religious, while the other races are a bit more laid back in regards to religion and mysticism. Really, the Dunmer remind me of the Fremen from Dune in regards to how strongly they enforce their religion and how they (the Ashlanders) have strong prophecies about a hero coming to return to the "true" religion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

8. Post #9128
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,592 Posts
    Vivec is a physical god who was once a man (or elf as the case may be).
    Just minor clarification, but Vivec, Almalexia and Sotha Sil were Chimer; basically the proto-dark elves, before their skin became dark.

Vivec's appearance is sort of cool because half of his body has the golden chimer skin, and the other half is dark elf
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

9. Post #9129
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    7,634 Posts
    Basically what Rinoaff said, the nine divines are incredibly weak after most of their power was used to create Nirn, and the Deadric Princes all live in Oblivion.

Vivec is actually physically there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

10. Post #9130
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    12,678 Posts
    Fun fact, in one of the 36 lessons of Vivec says "They walked farther and saw the spiked waters at the edge of the map" Which is refering to a bug in Redguard where if you went too far out into the world the water texture/mesh bugs out and spikes up.

It's not a bug, It's lore!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 21Informative Informative x 3Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #9131
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    7,634 Posts
    Fun fact, in one of the 36 lessons of Vivec says "They walked farther and saw the spiked waters at the edge of the map" Which is refering to a bug in Redguard where if you went too far out into the world the water texture/mesh bugs out and spikes up.
    Holy shit.
    Vivec has META KNOWLEDGE.
    OH MY GOD.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 11Zing Zing x 1 (list)

12. Post #9132

It's not a bug, It's lore!

Holy shit.
    Vivec has META KNOWLEDGE.
    OH MY GOD.
    CHIM, bitches
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

13. Post #9133
    December 2009
    11,729 Posts
    You know what pissed me off about this game more than it should have? No neutral path in the civil war. You're the fucking Dragonborn. You've helped solve just about every god damn problem in Skyrim for everybody ranging from lowly farmers to the Jarls, and you're the Thane of every fucking hold, surely it wouldn't have been too hard to be get voted for in the Moot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

14. Post #9134

August 2011
    5,969 Posts
    You know what pissed me off about this game more than it should have? No neutral path in the civil war. You're the fucking Dragonborn. You've helped solve just about every god damn problem in Skyrim for everybody ranging from lowly farmers to the Jarls, and you're the Thane of every fucking hold, surely it wouldn't have been too hard to be get voted for in the Moot.
    That wouldn't stop the Stormcloaks from wanting to boot the Empire out of Skyrim unless you're a wizard of diplomacy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

15. Post #9135
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,484 Posts
    Dragonbornp.
    I know you fixed it before someone quoted it and what not, but I can't stop laughing if I pronounce "Dragonbornp" out loud.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #9136
    September 2011
    255 Posts

I... I think I did something wrong...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Iceland Show Events Funny Funny x 16Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #9137
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    7,634 Posts
    That wouldn't stop the Stormcloaks from wanting to boot the Empire out of Skyrim unless you're a wizard of diplomacy.
    I am.

18. Post #9138
    Go make yourself a fucking waffle.
    April 2012
    3,171 Posts
    looks like a Bethesda game to me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #9139
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,760 Posts
    The Nine Divines have no physical presence in the world
    Well their corpses are in space

20. Post #9140

August 2011
    5,969 Posts
    -wtf images-

I'm going to guess you manually installed OOO and didn't install the meshes and textures. Because that's what happened when I did that. It was quite funny seeing the game play normally until Captain Renault or whoever walked in and all that existed of her was a giant exclamation mark with a purple checkered cape.

21. Post #9141
    May 2011
    2,669 Posts
    Stormcloaks like to wear battleaxes and bear skins, decapitate soft-talking Imperials, and make mountains out of molehills. You can't talk them down, unless you understand that as shouting them off cliffs. Reasoning with an angry nord is not easy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events

22. Post #9142
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    7,634 Posts
    Stormcloaks like to wear battleaxes and bear skins, decapitate soft-talking Imperials, and make mountains out of molehills. You can't talk them down, unless you understand that as shouting them off cliffs. Reasoning with an angry nord is not easy.
    You have obviously not played a lot of RPGs young man.

23. Post #9143
    May 2011
    2,669 Posts
    And you lack some experience on how to deal with separatist revolutions led by a warring people.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

24. Post #9144
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    7,634 Posts
    And you lack some experience on how to deal with separatist revolutions led by a warring people.
    That sort of thing isn't shouldn't be a problem when you have 100 speech.

Here, i'll give you an example of the crazy shit you can pull off with high skills in games that embrace the RPG, know Fallout: New Vegas?
    Yeah, if you have 100 speech you can talk the final boss out of fighting you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

25. Post #9145

August 2011
    5,969 Posts
    That sort of thing isn't shouldn't be a problem when you have 100 speech.

Here, i'll give you an example of the crazy shit you can pull off with high skills in games that embrace the RPG, know Fallout: New Vegas?
    Yeah, if you have 100 speech you can talk the final boss out of fighting you.
    Pssh, 100 speech? In Deus Ex: HR you can talk a terrorist out of killing someone without putting any points into skills related to persuading people.

And in Oblivion and (I think) Morrowind if your disposition with a guard is high enough they'll agree to overlook your crimes.

Also I find it funny how there are some persuasion attempts in Skyrim that can be successfully done even with just 15 speech. The farmer who refuses to aid   Cicero   and the extorting guard in front of Riften are two I can think of off the top of my head.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #9146
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    7,634 Posts
    Pssh, 100 speech? In Deus Ex: HR you can talk a terrorist out of killing someone without putting any points into skills related to persuading people.

And in Oblivion and (I think) Morrowind if your disposition with a guard is high enough they'll agree to overlook your crimes.
    Yeah, i'm talking about the final boss, the very last encounter, the last fight before victory.

Some random terrorist and a couple of guards aren't really up there.

And neither is Ulfric Crycloak.

27. Post #9147

August 2011
    5,969 Posts
    Yeah, i'm talking about the final boss, the very last encounter, the last fight before victory.

Some random terrorist and a couple of guards aren't really up there.

And neither is Ulfric Crycloak.
    I forgot to mention Saren in Mass Effect who is also a boss you can persuade to   kill himself   . This is despite his hatred for humans, partial mind control, and his antagonizing you the entire game.

Speech skill in RPGs is overpowered, nerf pls.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

28. Post #9148
    If clothing didn't exist and everyone walked around with their penises fully erect I would have all the bitches.
    May 2009
    23,069 Posts
    I got in while wearing a full set of Daedric armor. Most definitely a thief.
    I beat the shit out of him with my woodcutters axe.
    I MADE MORE SEPTIMS FROM CHOPPING WOOD WITH THIS AXE THAN YOUR LIFE IS WORTH.
    I CHOPPED WOOD FOR 3 DAYS STRAIGHT HOW DARE YOU
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

29. Post #9149

November 2009
    939 Posts
    I beat the shit out of him with my woodcutters axe.
    I MADE MORE SEPTIMS FROM CHOPPING WOOD WITH THIS AXE THAN YOUR LIFE IS WORTH.
    I CHOPPED WOOD FOR 3 DAYS STRAIGHT HOW DARE YOU
    what have you been smoking and can i have some
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

30. Post #9150
    Anyone know of a mod which removes the crappy half-cape on the vampire royal armour?

31. Post #9151
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,700 Posts
    The Nine Divines have no physical presence in the world and only have indirect influence. The Daedric princes also have somewhat limited influence. Vivec is a physical god who was once a man (or elf as the case may be). Also, the Dunmer are zealously religious, while the other races are a bit more laid back in regards to religion and mysticism. Really, the Dunmer remind me of the Fremen from Dune in regards to how strongly they enforce their religion and how they (the Ashlanders) have strong prophecies about a hero coming to return to the "true" religion.
    a few of the nine divines do show up sometimes

Talos/Tiber Septim (who might as well be Lorkhan btw): http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Wulf
    Mara: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Ama_Nin
    Akatosh at the end of Oblivion

although talos is an exception compared to the other Aedra since he's CHIMin it up with mah bro vivec

Edited:

Except you can kill the fucking guy.

All of that stuff about just how awesome he is was almost certainly religious propaganda.
    noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Vivec is on another level just like Talos, he's not lying about his abilities (well he sorta is, he's just a huge asshole)

Sotha and Almalexia were given god-like abilities from the heart of Lorkhan but that's what they stuck with, Vivec used it as a path towards understanding The Wheel/The Tower.

Edited:

In my opinion, Skyrim is on par with Morrowind. The problem here is that you're defining random aspects of a game that you liked and expecting other games to follow suit.

I HATE most of the Vivec lore in Morrowind. Using his dick as a spear? Giving the middle finger to Sheogorath and holding a moon up in the sky? Fuck off.

Here's the thing. What makes your opinions any more valid than mine? That's right, they're NOT.
    i'm gonna punch you in the dick

this is exactly the type of stuff an asshole (he was an asshole before he became a God) would do if became one of the most powerful entities in the universe also Sheo & Vivec are pretty cool with each other actually, Sheo is one of the few Daedra who don't really give a shit about Vivec putting himself on/above their level

Edited:

basically what i'm saying is

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 16 (list)

32. Post #9152
    If clothing didn't exist and everyone walked around with their penises fully erect I would have all the bitches.
    May 2009
    23,069 Posts
    what have you been smoking and can i have some
    Fire salts, Moon Sugar and Spriggan sap
    The fire salts boil the moon sugar to a scorching round brittle, applying Spriggan sap will create fumes you can enhale.

Not recommended for argonians. It tends to damage their hearing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 5 (list)

33. Post #9153
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    12,678 Posts
    also Sheo & Vivec are pretty cool with each other actually, Sheo is one of the few Daedra who don't really give a shit about Vivec putting himself on/above their level
    I'm sure Sheogorath thought it was hilarious.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

34. Post #9154

November 2009
    939 Posts
    Fire salts, Moon Sugar and Spriggan sap
    The fire salts boil the moon sugar to a scorching round brittle, applying Spriggan sap will create fumes you can enhale.

Not recommended for argonians. It tends to damage their hearing.
    time to go shopping cya later
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

35. Post #9155
    itty bitty silly pretty little pony
    September 2011
    6,845 Posts
    imagine if sheogorath and cicero met
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

36. Post #9156

August 2011
    5,969 Posts
    basically what i'm saying is

Please tell me what this is from because I'm about to die by laughter.

Edited:

imagine if sheogorath and cicero met
    I'd rather see Sheogorath and Sanguine host a party together.

37. Post #9157
    itty bitty silly pretty little pony
    September 2011
    6,845 Posts
    Please tell me what this is from because I'm about to die by laughter.

Edited:

I think sanguine's losing his touch
    I went in a dungeon once and he was fighting a losing battle against an fire wizard
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

38. Post #9158
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    12,678 Posts
    Joined Deadric quest for TES 6, this must happen.

39. Post #9159

August 2011
    5,969 Posts
    I think sanguine's losing his touch
    I went in a dungeon once and he was fighting a losing battle against an fire wizard
    He's powered by mirth. Everyone in Skyrim is obsessed with death, after all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

40. Post #9160
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,760 Posts
    mary sue-ness.
    Please tell how this term is applying to vivec lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)