1. Post #4041
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    12,089 Posts
    So I bought Oblivion GOTY with all the DLCs, and I have been instantly struck by a feeling of addiction that is nowhere to be found in Skyrim. I don't know how they managed to fuck it up but Skyrim just feels so uninteresting to me compared to Oblivion.
    A more indepth stats system, for one thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

2. Post #4042
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,193 Posts
    Fuckign attributes. Made your choices count.

I dont want to be able to complete errything in the game with one character. Sure you could do this in Oblivion too but it was much harder than Skyrim.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

3. Post #4043
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    16,528 Posts
    Well for instance in Skyrim you can pretty much be the boss of the warriros and the mages and the assassins and the thieves and stop an entire civil war in one setting, while in Oblivion the mere fact of being in the thieves' guild required you to commit a crime and go to prison, which would make you unable to get to the warriors or mages guild, along with the fact that being a thief would require you to not kill innocents, making entering the dark brothehood impossible as you need to kill an innocent and further in the game need to go on with those murders.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 8Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #4044
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    19,837 Posts
    Stats system was nice, but was rather annoyed that you were essentially heavily punished later on for not going +5 endurance each level. As always, copious modding fixes all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events

5. Post #4045
    August 2007
    757 Posts
    Hey guys, does Dawnguard release on the 26th also any of you nigs exicted as fuck?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

6. Post #4046
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,633 Posts
    So I bought Oblivion GOTY with all the DLCs, and I have been instantly struck by a feeling of addiction that is nowhere to be found in Skyrim. I don't know how they managed to fuck it up but Skyrim just feels so uninteresting to me compared to Oblivion.
    Bland and depressing atmosphere, uninteresting story that yells at you to yell at people and no sense of progression beyond perks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #4047
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    16,528 Posts
    Hey guys, does Dawnguard release on the 26th also any of you nigs exicted as fuck?
    I have completely lost interest in Skyrim even though I'm barely halfway through "completing" it so no, not really.

Edited:

Also the only big complain I have about having all the DLC is that you pretty much start the game owner of 3 different locations, 2 of which you just have to walk there and get your prize (the other one being attacked by 3 douchebags that take 5 second to kill even at level 2)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #4048
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,084 Posts
    Thanks I'll try that. But seriously, it just goes to show that this game was built for consoles in mind only because a modern PC's potential is just wasted for this game.

Like come on, look at this shit. Keep in mind I'm using enhanced distance terrain and trees textures.

This is the worst looking area in the entire game since the distant land stystem tries to do something it's utterly incapable of doing right. Maybe with the next console generation we'll have LODs where you can't count the polygons on one hand.

Edited:

Well for instance in Skyrim you can pretty much be the boss of the warriros and the mages and the assassins and the thieves and stop an entire civil war in one setting, while in Oblivion the mere fact of being in the thieves' guild required you to commit a crime and go to prison, which would make you unable to get to the warriors or mages guild, along with the fact that being a thief would require you to not kill innocents, making entering the dark brothehood impossible as you need to kill an innocent and further in the game need to go on with those murders.
    Except the only condition for joining the mages/fighters guild was that you didn't have a bounty and the thieves guild only penalised you for killing people in the quest area.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #4049
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    16,528 Posts
    Except the only condition for joining the mages/fighters guild was that you didn't have a bounty and the thieves guild only penalised you for killing people in the quest area.
    Still better than absolutely no constraint at all.

Also if you wanted to get to the mages guild or warriors guild in Oblivion you had to learn about it on your own, there wasn't some random guy who would go like "oh hey you'd make a great mage" and then bam you know where everything is.

Edited:

And honestly I prefered the combat system in Oblivion because at least it would let you block and cast spell with any weapon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #4050
    September 2010
    6,611 Posts
    You got a problem, sir?
    No, I love Pokemon. Who doesn't?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #4051
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,633 Posts
    And honestly I prefered the combat system in Oblivion because at least it would let you block and cast spell with any weapon.
    Actually, I kind of liked being a mage in Skyrim, it seemed like an actual combat style instead of just an alternative to using a weapon. Still, some spells like mage armor and clairvoyance were a bit annoying to use considering you had to switch between them and weapons/other spells.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #4052
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,460 Posts
    Actually, I kind of liked being a mage in Skyrim, it seemed like an actual combat style instead of just an alternative to using a weapon. Still, some spells like mage armor and clairvoyance were a bit annoying to use considering you had to switch between them and weapons/other spells.
    Being a Mage in skyrim would be more fun if 3/4 of the spells weren't useless or become useless very quickly.

The expert-level destruction spells (the ones that do 90 damage) require you to work your ass off to get to, and by the time you get to them 90 damage is piss weak and they eat SO much magicka. You can't go back down a level to adept because that spell is now way too weak and you can't go to master because you're either not a high enough level or you don't have enough magicka.

Also taking into consideration that in vanilla Skyrim frost magic is completely useless. Why? Because you're in bloody Skyrim. Most of the inhabitants are Nords who are resistant to frost. So are saber cats, bears, dwemer automatons, skeletons, draugr, ghosts, shades, dragon priests, frost atronaches, Trolls, and spiders. Some of these things are flatout immune to frost, like the automatons.

What is the point in frost magic even existing when 3/4 of Skyrim is resistant to it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

13. Post #4053
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    17,111 Posts
    Is there a mod that lets you keep your staff out as a wandering stick or something when you sheathe your weapon? It's so derpy that it just disappears and I'm trying to play as a wandering wizard.

I'm also trying out a 1h+illusion stealth character. I'm not getting anywhere though cause I get bored after about half an hour playing and I can't decide what type of character would really be fun to play.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

14. Post #4054
    Ask me about my everything fetish.
    August 2006
    3,424 Posts
    Is there a mod that lets you keep your staff out as a wandering stick or something when you sheathe your weapon? It's so derpy that it just disappears and I'm trying to play as a wandering wizard.
    http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/17746

This mod puts it on your back if I'm correct, better than nothing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

15. Post #4055
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,074 Posts
    Speaking of mods and Oblivion, are there any good mods for Oblivion I should use?
    [SUB][SUB][SUB]please answer this time[/SUB][/SUB][/SUB]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #4056
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    17,111 Posts
    http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/17746

This mod puts it on your back if I'm correct, better than nothing.
    Ah that'll do, it'll atleast be cool for other stuff than my staff, thanks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

17. Post #4057
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    3,770 Posts
    Speaking of mods and Oblivion, are there any good mods for Oblivion I should use?
    http://devnull.sweetdanger.net/convergence.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

18. Post #4058
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    16,528 Posts
    You should definitely get the Unofficial Oblivion Patch for starters.

Midas magic is very fun for, well, magic.

This mod is also incredibly fun to start the game in new ways.

If you are up for a good challenge when it comes to fighting you should take a look at Deadly Reflexes too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

19. Post #4059
    October 2009
    8,950 Posts
    I swear I saw this mod today or a mod similar to it. I'm gonna check my browsing history.
    Any luck?

20. Post #4060
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,635 Posts
    So this awesome new feature of Luftahraan was just uploaded today:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Iceland Show Events Winner Winner x 19 (list)

21. Post #4061
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,543 Posts
    Being a Mage in skyrim would be more fun if 3/4 of the spells weren't useless or become useless very quickly.

The expert-level destruction spells (the ones that do 90 damage) require you to work your ass off to get to, and by the time you get to them 90 damage is piss weak and they eat SO much magicka. You can't go back down a level to adept because that spell is now way too weak and you can't go to master because you're either not a high enough level or you don't have enough magicka.

Also taking into consideration that in vanilla Skyrim frost magic is completely useless. Why? Because you're in bloody Skyrim. Most of the inhabitants are Nords who are resistant to frost. So are saber cats, bears, dwemer automatons, skeletons, draugr, ghosts, shades, dragon priests, frost atronaches, Trolls, and spiders. Some of these things are flatout immune to frost, like the automatons.

What is the point in frost magic even existing when 3/4 of Skyrim is resistant to it.
    Though Ice Mages are insanely annoying to fight. Sprinting towards them at 2 km/ph while they drain your stamina.

I've had good luck with lightning destruction (if you make a big perk investment). Almost no enemy in the game is resistant to it and once you get the Disintegrate perk it effectively takes off like 15% of every enemy's health. Chain Lightning is generally a great spamming spell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

22. Post #4062
    Allah Akbar! Allah Akbar! Allah Akbar!
    April 2006
    15,899 Posts
    i put much more time into oblivion than i did for skyrim
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #4063
    September 2010
    6,611 Posts
    So, what's a good race for a mage build?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

24. Post #4064
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,543 Posts
    I'd say on the whole with everything taken into account I prefer skyrim over oblivion. Oblivion's whole shtick just gets old pretty rapidly. Way too much level scaling, huge penalties for leveling up, armor does nothing, blocking does nothing, etc. Skyrim is still bad in that manner, but nowhere near as bad as oblivion.

It's just rather shocking that skyrim could take gameplay qualities that were already bad in oblivion, and make them even worse. Bethesda just isn't capable of looking at their games objectively and coming up with a waterproof gameplay formula. .

Though one thing is for sure, if skyrim manages to make an expansion even half as awesome as Shivering Isles, my customer satisfaction will increase dramatically.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

25. Post #4065
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    5,765 Posts
    morrowind >>>>>
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

26. Post #4066
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    1,657 Posts
    Oblivion wasn't really great gameplay wise, but at least the quest were interesting. Skyrim really fucked up everything, they had the chance to do something exciting and instead they made everything horribly bland. Even the Sheogorath quest wasn't crazy enough. No forks, no burning dog rain, only a point-and-click experience. Seriously.

The only quest that was a bit interesting was A Night to Remember.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Italy Show Events Agree Agree x 11Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #4067
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,524 Posts
    So this awesome new feature of Luftahraan was just uploaded today:

Wow awesome, did they just get into contact with you interested in covering it, or did you guys contact them to try and get them to do a feature on your mod?

28. Post #4068
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    19,837 Posts
    The needs mods i've tried for Skyrim do provide a nice boost to immersion, but goddamn does the way they convey needs info just torpedo those efforts. Periodic messages in the top left for everything, plus my greater/lesser powers tab is clogged with mod stuff. That, and my character seems to need to sleep 12 hours on average; christ even I don't sleep that much, not even when I was in the army. Only other option to reduce sleep requirements is to reduce ALL needs progression by 50%, rather than the more discrete + - 5/10% buttons a few mods I use have.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events

29. Post #4069

August 2011
    5,969 Posts
    The needs mods i've tried for Skyrim do provide a nice boost to immersion, but goddamn does the way they convey needs info just torpedo those efforts. Periodic messages in the top left for everything, plus my greater/lesser powers tab is clogged with mod stuff. That, and my character seems to need to sleep 12 hours on average; christ even I don't sleep that much, not even when I was in the army. Only other option to reduce sleep requirements is to reduce ALL needs progression by 50%, rather than the more discrete + - 5/10% buttons a few mods I use have.
    I wish mods in general in Oblivion and Skyrim didn't plop configuration items and spells into your menus. There should be a separate tab on the escape button screen for that sort of thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #4070
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    19,837 Posts
    I wish mods in general in Oblivion and Skyrim didn't plop configuration items and spells into your menus. There should be a separate tab on the escape button screen for that sort of thing.
    I don't think it's possible for them to edit the escape menu. But it would be nice if someone made a sort of universal menu framework mod through which one book use/lesser power use allowed you to configure all the mods you have that can be configured; rather than having inventory spammed with rings, books and powers for configuring them all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #4071
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,524 Posts
    Sadly, this is really the only way to do it.

Skyrim is surprisingly unmoddable for things that were not in the vanilla game. You can rearrange a lot of vanilla game features, even mostly-unused ones, into really cool new things, but if you want to add something that wasn't in there before it's pretty much impossible. I.E. a new escape menu in the UI. Or it requires a very specific technical skill and hacking to get it to work.

For example, I'm currently having a lot of trouble making progress on my two-handed perk tree overhaul, because it simply is impossible for the game to easily detect if you perform a power attack. There's litterally no script functions that detect such things, there are no perk entry points that detect such things, etc. The best I can do is detect when a "WeaponSwing" animation is performed in a script, but even then it doesn't differentiate between powerattacks and not, and it only triggers the effect halfway through the animation. I can't modify powerattacks to specifically be faster or slower, I can only modify global weapon speed for your attacks to be faster or slower.

Of course, if I wanted a hit effect to happen upon LANDING a power attack it would be easy. Or if I wanted to detect when an enemy gets hit by the player by X type of weapon. But applying abilities to the player when they make attacks, or even landing attacks, is either impossible or extremely difficult to figure out how to do. I've made some breakthroughs in the past day to get one single perk to try and work how I planned (double attack speed when making forward power attacks), but even then its a tiny step and it doesn't garuntee my idea will work. I've been pretty much at a roadblock for the past few days trying to figure out how to get over the fact that the game has nothing in there to easily detect when "X" makes an attack, despite them clearly being differentiated in the base code, and despite how it's opposite (detecting when "X" gets hit) is easily possible.

Lets not even get into the fact that about half the shouts are hard-coded effects. The shout spells in the editor literally do nothing - the game just detects you use a certain spell that matches the ID of the shout spell, and then through hard coding or some other magic, automaticallly applies the effect to the player. This means it's impossible to (for example) perform a whirlwind sprint after performing an action, unless you literally cast Whirlwind Sprint on yourself through scripting. As such, you can't really modify whirlwind sprint either. The sprint effect, distances, animations, etc are all hard coded per level of the ability.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #4072
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    8,065 Posts
    So... this 1.6 patch, did it really add mounted combat? Because according to Google the 1.6 patch is out for PC.

33. Post #4073
    Creator of the Gold Member Times
    November 2011
    1,619 Posts
    Any luck?
    Sorry my internet has been down all day. The mod I was thinking of was SkyRe (Skyrim Redone), but I don't think that's the mod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #4074
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,460 Posts
    So... this 1.6 patch, did it really add mounted combat? Because according to Google the 1.6 patch is out for PC.
    It's out. It adds mounted combat but I've seen many bug reports about it. Magic on horseback simply doesn't even work.

They just released the beta 1.6 without even fixing anything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

35. Post #4075
    November 2009
    8,731 Posts
    It's out. It adds mounted combat but I've seen many bug reports about it. Magic on horseback simply doesn't even work.

Bethesda Quality Gaming.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

36. Post #4076
    Nya~
    April 2011
    5,083 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 11Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #4077
    Blue Member?
    October 2010
    7,590 Posts
    thats such a smug face
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

38. Post #4078
    October 2009
    8,950 Posts
    Sorry my internet has been down all day. The mod I was thinking of was SkyRe (Skyrim Redone), but I don't think that's the mod.
    Argh
    SkyRe has a lot of great features, but a lot of them I also hate...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #4079
    December 2010
    3,787 Posts
    I'm having major trouble with movement in the game. The entire world becomes stuttering and broken whenever I'm in first person, the FPS remains at a stable rate though. The stuttering is as if every animation or movement was pulsing or in a gridlock. I've tried disabling v-sync and mouse smoothing/acceleration, although that doesn't work at all. Changing graphical settings hasn't helped either. Whenever I switch to third person the game becomes normal once more and movement is fluid again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

40. Post #4080
    Dennab
    January 2012
    336 Posts
    I cant go on the nexus one fucking time without seeing some stupid anime shit. How can people download this nonsense? It doesn't match with the fucking game AT ALL. Or this plastic "sexy" armor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)