1. Post #4681
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,983 Posts
    After playing Oblivion and Skyrim, I have to say Oblivion is much better. It gives that old style RPG to it, and it's more bright and joyful (not including killing). You can hop around the mountains, roam the plains, and go to the swampy area, all the way south. Favorite town is Anvil, because of the port, and the light house, just I like that type of pirate, waterfront village type of stuff. Fucking great game. Not saying Skyrim is bad, great game, pulled me in, but the replay value in it is pretty damn low. I still have Oblivion and I keep playing it. Accumulated over 500 hours in that game. But once I finished Skyrim, making new characters didn't seem to exciting, and everything just became dull.

It's also not horribly depressing, which Skyrim is, where all the old factions (Dark Brotherhood, The Blades) have gone to shit and everything is UHNNN GRIMDARK DERGONS KILL EVERYTHING.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #4682
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts
    It's also not horribly depressing, which Skyrim is, where all the old factions (Dark Brotherhood, The Blades) have gone to shit and everything is UHNNN GRIMDARK DERGONS KILL EVERYTHING.
    To be fair, it's hard to take Oblivion seriously with those faces.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Thailand Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

3. Post #4683
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,675 Posts
    Did I see a mod for Skyrim at some point which upon creating a new character you just spawn in some random town with nothing?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #4684
    I think there might be something wrong with Skyrim, although I'm not entirely sure.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

5. Post #4685
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,384 Posts
    When is the Dawnguard dlc coming to PC?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

6. Post #4686
    For some reason the more I play Skyrim the more it makes me want to play Oblivion, and that is especially odd since I have at least double the playtime in Skyrim ..
    I know that feel, bro.
    After playing Skyrim I found that Oblivion has a much better atmosphere and is just... more fun to play overall. I don't know why, but it feels superior to Skyrim.
    Maybe my nostalgia goggles are getting in the way? I don't know... :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events

7. Post #4687
    In about a month, as has been said a million times.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #4688
    If clothing didn't exist and everyone walked around with their penises fully erect I would have all the bitches.
    May 2009
    23,147 Posts
    Also, Serana is an awesome companion.
    I dislike her because the only two lines she ever says in combat is "Where did you come from?" and "Done and Done"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #4689
    screamin 4 da gold
    January 2010
    7,040 Posts
    Do you get a cool castle base no matter which side you choose?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #4690
    June 2010
    4,367 Posts
    Without spoiling how does the block out the sun thing affect the world?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

11. Post #4691

August 2007
    512 Posts
    I know that feel, bro.
    After playing Skyrim I found that Oblivion has a much better atmosphere and is just... more fun to play overall. I don't know why, but it feels superior to Skyrim.
    Maybe my nostalgia goggles are getting in the way? I don't know... :/
    Personally I think they spent a lot more time on the individual quest-lines in Oblivion and that made it all the more fun to play. I have two times as many hours on Oblivion than on Skyrim and Oblivion just seems like it has a lot more possibilities and replay value.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

12. Post #4692
    March 2010
    268 Posts
    Fable and Fable 2 were good games and so is the Movies, and Black and White 2 got a Guinness World Record for AI
    True, I did like the Movies and Fable 2 (never played 1). Still, compared to Skyrim, the other game that people like to pretend was ruined with broken promises, it blows it out of the water.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

13. Post #4693
    June 2012
    5,695 Posts
    While I agree that Oblivion had way better questlines and character creation, I really have no desire to play Oblivion again. I'd much rather play more Skyrim, or go back and play Morrowind or Daggerfall, or even Arena.

I played Oblivion to the point where every time I reinstall it the game just feels stale. Before skyrim came out I was playing some of every TES game I could find before it starting with arena, and when I got to Oblivion I played for a little while and it just left me with a bad feeling.

Now if someone made a mod that put oblivion into skyrim, that might be a different story. I thought Oblivion's main questline as a whole was more interesting than skyrim's.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #4694
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,675 Posts
    So does the mod exist where you start off a new character in a random town with fuck all?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #4695
    Creator of the Gold Member Times
    November 2011
    1,619 Posts
    The microsoft contract expires after a month apparently but the contract might possibly also include FIGS which would push the pc/ps3 release back to august. We don't know if it includes FIGS though. Even if it doesn't there's no guarantee the dlc will be out after 30 days. There was a fallout dlc released for the 360 in december that didn't hit other platforms til February. What I'm saying is we won't know til Bethesda announces it so don't be surprised if it doesn't come out in exactly one month.

16. Post #4696
    So does the mod exist where you start off a new character in a random town with fuck all?
    It does, but I forgot what's it called and you need to use custom functions to start the storyline. (in case you decide you want to)
    Would be pretty cool to start out as an ordinary citizen with no weapons and a bit of gold.

Edit: Found it! http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9557
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

17. Post #4697
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    13,632 Posts
    I dislike her because the only two lines she ever says in combat is "Where did you come from?" and "Done and Done"
    every follower only says about two lines. Amazing how bethesda failed with followers when obsidian did it very good for new vegas, it's like they don't want to learn and improve
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #4698
    November 2011
    1,619 Posts
    Live another life?

19. Post #4699
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,675 Posts
    It does, but I forgot what's it called and you need to use custom functions to start the storyline. (in case you decide you want to)
    Would be pretty cool to start out as an ordinary citizen with no weapons and a bit of gold.

Edit: Found it! http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9557
    You are a god!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #4700
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    11,590 Posts
    Personally I think they spent a lot more time on the individual quest-lines in Oblivion and that made it all the more fun to play. I have two times as many hours on Oblivion than on Skyrim and Oblivion just seems like it has a lot more possibilities and replay value.
    I don't know. I didn't exactly find Oblivion's quests more compelling, especially the main line which I think was much better in Skyrim. Personally I found a lot more content in skyrim, and VASTLY VASTLY VASTLY better combat and the like, along with skyrim being a much more interesting world to play in. I miss Oblivions leveling system in a way and some of the more RPGish elements Oblivion had over skyrim, but I think skyrim is a lot more fun. It's all opinions though, they're both incredibly great games that have sucked up so many hours of my life it's ridiculous.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

21. Post #4701
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    13,632 Posts
    VASTLY VASTLY VASTLY better combat
    dude the combat is pretty much the same
    except skyrim got prettier spellcasting maybe (though spells are useless)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

22. Post #4702
    If you wanna know more about Dawnguard, the quicklook is pretty good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

23. Post #4703
    June 2012
    5,695 Posts
    dude the combat is pretty much the same
    except skyrim got prettier spellcasting maybe (though spells are useless)
    Not true

Skyrim has way better animations, which lend a more visceral and connected feeling to the combat, something that oblivion sorely lacked.

It may function the same, but Skyrim's simple changes make it loads more enjoyable.

More rain + Realistic Lighting looks pretty cool
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

24. Post #4704
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    17,111 Posts
    I don't really notice a big difference between the combat in Skyrim and Oblivon, atleast in first person. It feels alomst exactly the same. In 3rd person it's way more awesome, but I hate playing in 3rd person because the movement is 'delayed' in a way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

25. Post #4705
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,579 Posts
    The only time combat feels connected is when you hit a shield or your shield gets hit. (Or you get whacked with a shield).

You can stand infront of a bush and perform various attacks and they look exactly the same if you did them on a NPC. If you hit a shield your character recoils and stumbles a bit while your opponent may do the same if you hit the shield with a power attack.

If I hit a bandit in the head with a huge war hammer, I want to see the hammer connect and see the NPC take physical visual damage. As it stands now, it just plays a basic independent animation and the NPC just takes numeric damage.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #4706
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,927 Posts
    I don't really notice a big difference between the combat in Skyrim and Oblivon, atleast in first person. It feels alomst exactly the same. In 3rd person it's way more awesome, but I hate playing in 3rd person because the movement is 'delayed' in a way.
    It plays pretty much the same, but the animations give the weapons a much better feel. In Oblivion, you just kinda weakly swing that mace around the same way you would a dagger; in Skyrim, it really looks like you're swinging a heavy fucking mace. Even though it's essentially the same, it feels much different to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #4707
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,741 Posts
    More rain + Realistic Lighting looks pretty cool
    So you use particle effects to cover up the wall of fog?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #4708
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,579 Posts
    It plays pretty much the same, but the animations give the weapons a much better feel. In Oblivion, you just kinda weakly swing that mace around the same way you would a dagger; in Skyrim, it really looks like you're swinging a heavy fucking mace. Even though it's essentially the same, it feels much different to me.
    Have you seen the way maces swing in Skyrim? They swing really slowly and have no weight or feel to them when you hit your target.

Skip to 1:10

The first blow was a power attack which staggered, but everything after that got no response from the NPC.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

29. Post #4709
    June 2012
    5,695 Posts
    That's because they used the sword animations and slowed them down, which is all kinds of retarded.

I want flails in the game. Flails are awesome, yet most games neglect to include them.

Also I installed the stupid fucking deadly combat mod and it completely fucked up horse combat for me, and removing it completely doesn't fix it.

Fuck combat mods forever now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #4710
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    20,078 Posts
    That's because they used the sword animations and slowed them down, which is all kinds of retarded.

I want flails in the game. Flails are awesome, yet most games neglect to include them.

Also I installed the stupid fucking deadly combat mod and it completely fucked up horse combat for me, and removing it completely doesn't fix it.

Firstly, horse combat is buggy in vanilla anyway, and secondly if it's still more fucked up after you uninstalled the mod, then you still have something else installed that's fucking it up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #4711
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,741 Posts
    I installed the stupid fucking deadly combat mod and it completely fucked up horse combat for me, and removing it completely doesn't fix it.

Try loading a save of before you got the mod or start a new game. I usually stay away from mods that do more than one thing and end up with the mentality of "Hey, this mod vastly improves x... wait, what it this? It adds y!? This mod is going to break my game, I don't want it".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #4712
    November 2011
    1,619 Posts
    If that doesn't work you could also try waiting 24 in game hours. That sometimes fixes issues with mods after uninstalling them.

33. Post #4713
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,493 Posts

ohhhh myyyyy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

34. Post #4714
    Try loading a save of before you got the mod or start a new game. I usually stay away from mods that do more than one thing and end up with the mentality of "Hey, this mod vastly improves x... wait, what it this? It adds y!? This mod is going to break my game, I don't want it".
    Which is a sensible view to have, I've mentioned this a couple of times, but my main character now cannot regenerate stamina or magicka, so I can't use magic or power attacks, nor can I sprint.

It fucking sucks, and it's all because of a stupid eat/drink/sleep mod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

35. Post #4715
    Dawnguard is the best DLC I've played in a long time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #4716
    October 2010
    7,399 Posts
    Next on the new castle list is Castle Wolvenstien. Complete with imperial hitler lookalike who is killing all the bretons and gays.

If your male character has a husband, the dlc quests start early.

Edited:

Or if you're a Breton.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

37. Post #4717
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    10,615 Posts
    I love how hard bethesda fucked up with the dawnguard dlc, un a nutshell, the dawnguard dlc files from the 360 can be used perfectly fine in the pc version, so people are grabbing the xbox version and just extracting the files. hopefully this will stop any future exclusives like this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Optimistic x 3Funny x 2Agree x 1Winner x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

38. Post #4718
    November 2011
    1,619 Posts
    uh what? i'm pretty sure there's texture issues that render it nigh unplayable. unless someone took the time to convert all the textures by hand which would be crazy difficult.

Edited:

unless a video pops up of someone playing it on pc i won't believe otherwise
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

39. Post #4719
    the dawnguard dlc files from the 360 can be used perfectly fine in the pc version
    I think you're being a little optimistic there chief.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #4720
    June 2012
    5,695 Posts
    That's exactly what I did. I've always used mods so I know they can cause problems like this if you aren't careful, but I had hoped since it was updated after the patch and he said he never touched mounted combat nothing like this would happen, but now, even after I stopped the scripts, uninstalled it through NMM, and made sure there were no left over files, even my old save games I had without the mod still have the same problem.

I'll try waiting 24 hours next.