1. Post #3041
    September 2010
    6,610 Posts
    I think ES:O may actually follow the lore as well, I mean where else did all the good Bethesda writers go? On holiday?
    What good Bethesda writers? I'm pretty sure all the games with good writing were hired writers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Zing Zing x 1 (list)

2. Post #3042
    November 2009
    8,718 Posts
    What good Bethesda writers? I'm pretty sure all the games with good writing were hired writers.
    Or that old guy that worked on Morrowind, and then left.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

3. Post #3043
    September 2010
    6,610 Posts
    Or that old guy that worked on Morrowind, and then left.
    Didn't he die?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

4. Post #3044
    November 2009
    8,718 Posts
    Didn't he die?
    Nope, still alive. You're thinking of the Fallout guy.

The old guy still pops in at the office occasionally, apparently, and tests games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

5. Post #3045
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,866 Posts
    One thing about Dawnguard I'm concerned about is the Dawnguard themselves. They hunt vampires and, I assume, other monsters too. The other people who do that are the Vigil of Stendarr and the Silver Hand. The Vigil is pretty much ignored and the Silver Hand is made up entirely of douchebags. I'm really hoping the Dawnguard is neither of those. I want the choice between vampire and Dawnguard to actually be one to think about, kinda like Imperial or Stormcloak (or at least, that was a big choice for me).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

6. Post #3046
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    3,769 Posts
    You know what I want to see in an Elder Scrolls game? Reputation. Combined with fewer "black and white" actions. Not some bullshit number in your stat page that is meaningless but something that actually affects how people and especially guards treat you.

Like if you do a quest that benefits a town or if you're seen by someone from that town when you're killing a nearby bandit tribe, you should gain reputation.

So let's say you're walking around town and someone tries to pick you pocket but you catch them. You pull out your club and bonk the guy on the head knocking him out. A guard comes up saying "STOP RIGHT THERE! What is going on here?" And then you get dialogue options like "He's a dirty thief, arrest him!" and "Uh, he was asking for it!" and stuff like that. If you killed him instead you might be able to lie and say "He tried to kill me!" Depending on your reputation and speech skill the guard would be more likely to believe you.

This would be cool for characters that live double lives, like you're a vampire or murderer but tend to get away with things because everyone knows you as a really swell guy. Maybe some guy saw you suck somebody's blood in a dark alley so you chase him out of the alley and cleave his head open before he can tell anyone and when the guards come you tell them he tried to kill you and they're like "Oh how dreadful, I'm so sorry to hear that Mr. Niceton. Glad you're okay!"

Or on the opposite side of the spectrum, you are a known delinquent and when something turns up stolen, the guards come looking for you whether you stole it or not and give you a hard time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 21Winner Winner x 6 (list)

7. Post #3047
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts
    So, 'bout to pack up and reinstall Morrowind again. I nabbed the "Morrowind Rebirth" mod, but I wanted to know if there were any other huge mega-packs out there that may be better?

I'm looking for just graphical/audio/engine revamps. I don't need any gameplay tweaks other than bug fixing, as I like Morrowind's in-your-face-fuck-you style of balance. Also, any massive well-done quests aren't bad, since Morrowind runs off of text and all.
    If you're in the mood for extra content, go for Tamriel Rebuilt. They just got around to doing Necrom (and Almalexia?) - so far they've done the orange Telvannis and White Indoril areas.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Thailand Show Events

8. Post #3048
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,617 Posts
    Tried out the Cinematic Lighting ENB config out of pure curiosity. Dear god everything is orange. Went back to the one I was using previously, with the slight difference of disabling it's ambient occlusion in favour of forcing it through the Nvidia control panel. Probably doesn't look as nice, but I need moar FPS.
    In any case, i'm about 200 euro short for my new computer. Quite a bit, but still fairly close to getting a new one.
    Out of curiosity, what's everyone's opinion on these specs for running Skyrim?
    http://goo.gl/28T7w
    http://goo.gl/kYxXE
    http://goo.gl/ZeQJn
    http://goo.gl/ztcRV
    http://goo.gl/CUFRT
    http://goo.gl/z5JYS
    http://goo.gl/xaKjO
    Either get a decent SSD or get another 3TB HDD and put it in RAID 1.

Edited:

Also, Cinematic Lighting is probably the only ENB config that I used that I didn't think looked like shit. Everything else feels either washed out, too high contrast, has a fucking annoying sun glare, or forces you to use super fancy bokeh dof and ssao that I don't even like.

Edited:

I'm currently a big fan of that RCRN mod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

9. Post #3049
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    1,075 Posts
    TES VI: Summerset Isles announced!

Bethesda Softworks has, to the joy of countless fans from all over the world, finally unveiled their latest project. We bring you the first information about this new ambitious game. (Please refer to our earlier article Worlds at home for information about the TES series.)

Taking the leap

"One of the things that always bothered us about the series was the complexity. Options lead to inequality and our games would be better off without that. So what could we do about this problem? Doesn't an RPG require choices? The solution we found is both satisfying and innovative. We have taken the leap."
    - Todd Howard, executive producer

Todd Howard claims that despite continued attempts to fix the problem the TES series are still too complex. Players are flooded with choices and consequences of actions they could not even remember having done. "What we needed was what I call a 'player profile'. We know that many of our older fans like to roleplay, and we have given them just that in a new but more rewarding fashion." claims Todd.

The executive producer proudly showed us something revolutionary called 'player-profiling'. This new technique analysed the feedback Bethesda was given about earlier games, and thus produced a 'player profile'. These profiles showed what characters the average fan wanted to roleplay. Bethesda Softworks acted accordingly and thus in TES VI everyone will be roleplaying the same characters. "I just wanted to clarify that this does not include apperance. Players can still choose a race and gender. In fact we have more customization options than ever including chest hair. Instead we have streamlined the game by merging more skills together to create three distinct characters that players will be able to roleplay. This way players will not be intimidated by the amount of choices. Skyrim was already a step in the right direction as it removed classes which were limiting. Classes simply caused confusion, I mean who wants to play a nightblade? (laughs)" - Todd Howard

These 'player profiles' are the reason why there will be no more skills in TES VI. Instead players will level automatically at various fixed points during the storyline. After leveling-up they will then be able to put points in one of the 3 attributes (Combat, Magic and Stealth). Putting points in one of the attributes will ,however, lower the other two which makes 'dual-classing' nearly impossible. " 'player-profiling' Showed that the majority of our fans wanted to play as either a warrior, a mage or a thief. They do not want to play as a battlemage so we decided not to annoy them with needless additional options." - Todd Howard.

Of course we had to ask if this would not limit the roleplaying options too much. Luckily Pete Hines (Public Relations) assured us that that would not be the case. "You can always imagine that you are playing a battlemage, right? Use some scrolls and pretend you are casting spells. Imagination, isn't that what roleplaying is all about?"

Stay tuned for another exciting installment because next week we will delve deeper into TES VI's combat. Todd already stated that we will get to use combo moves by smashing random buttons fast enough.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 27Winner Winner x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #3050
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,881 Posts
    EDIT: Welp ignore this post I can't spot a joke
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #3051
    Creator of the Gold Member Times
    November 2011
    1,619 Posts
    Pretty sure it's satire.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #3052
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,881 Posts
    Pretty sure it's satire.
    I probably should have googled it first. By the nine Drakortha you had me really fucking worried there for a moment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

13. Post #3053
    January 2010
    9,675 Posts
    I wish stealing was harder in Skyrim. Stealing things just feels like a day to day thing to do in Skyrim, even when doing a good guy playthrough since it's so easy and there's no consequences if you don't get caught.

Edited:

Well besides getting attacked by thugs but they're way too easy, especially at higher levels. Kind of stupid how they walk up to you with their weapons sheathed say "We've come to teach you a lesson" and then wait half a second to pull out their weapons. By then I could've shouted their asses to the other end of town. It would be interesting to see they try to set up traps for you or ambush you or maybe send an assassin archer to try to snipe you from a cliff or something.

Edited:

Actually, what I would like to see is more people send assassins. In the game you eventually get to high positions (thane, Listener, Arch-Mage, ect) so you're bound to have enemies. It would also be nice to see random events where people try to rob you or pickpocket you or break into your house or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #3054
    SWG was shut down, EVE hasn't even gotten to 500k subscribers and WoW isn't unique at all, it completely ripped off EQ.
    EVE now has more subs than the dev's homeland of Iceland has people.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #3055
    February 2012
    2,684 Posts
    One thing about Dawnguard I'm concerned about is the Dawnguard themselves. They hunt vampires and, I assume, other monsters too. The other people who do that are the Vigil of Stendarr and the Silver Hand. The Vigil is pretty much ignored and the Silver Hand is made up entirely of douchebags. I'm really hoping the Dawnguard is neither of those. I want the choice between vampire and Dawnguard to actually be one to think about, kinda like Imperial or Stormcloak (or at least, that was a big choice for me).
    It be pretty neat if the Dawngaurd were vampires who objected to the ideal of a eternal night and believed in always keeping themselves in check, limit themselves etc
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

16. Post #3056
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,821 Posts
    Went and got Mehrune's Razor (or whatever it was) and had to fight those two dremora, one went down after a good fight, the other went back down the stairs as where I was standing made it want to go down the stairs to try and find another way to me. Suddenly he comes running back up and cowers in the corner.

Fear the horse

edit: Note that, I did not even touch this guy, my horse did all the work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 17 (list)

17. Post #3057
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,617 Posts

This is the proper way to play Skyrim, right?

18. Post #3058
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    19,821 Posts

No, this is

I've given up on trying to resolve the conflicts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events

19. Post #3059
    I PAID $9 TO TROLL THE GMF BECAUSE I ASPIRE TO BE BETTER THAN MY PROSTITUTE MOTHER WITH 9 KIDS AND DRUNKEN FATHER WHO BEATS ME EVERY NIGHT. SOMETIMES I CRY MYSELF TO SLEEP HOPING THE MODS DONT BAN ME ;__;
    July 2011
    1,242 Posts

This is the proper way to play Skyrim, right?
    No, the proper way to play Skyrim is without pants. EVERYONE knows that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

20. Post #3060
    Lua is a powerful, fast, lightweight, embeddable scripting language
    March 2012
    230 Posts
    I can't wait for the online part!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events

21. Post #3061
    August 2010
    6,943 Posts
    I always wondered about something. There is an obvious trend of heavily modding the game to your liking which adds tons of stuff "that should already be in the game" according to some players. There are tons of mods out there for Skyrim. But is it necessarily good. I agree that mods just increase the playlength and fun.

But should a game not be great in the vanilla run without any modifications. It just feels like people just mod the game to what it should be instead of the developpers making a game with tons of cool stuff. I for one really like the vanilla experiences, even in the old Elder Scrolls game.

Although it is a nice strategy of Bethesda to release the Editor which allows players to further enhance the game and give it more credibilty and success. It just feels to me that modding is really changing the game itself so much. Although Mods are optinial, it's just a philosophical question. I also don't know if I got the point across with my poorly english skills.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Luxembourg Show Events

22. Post #3062
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    19,821 Posts
    To be blunt, I would have never bothered with the Elder Scrolls series if not for the mods, mainly due to Bethesda's complete laxity when it comes to any sort of QA.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 2 (list)

23. Post #3063
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,617 Posts

No, this is

I've given up on trying to resolve the conflicts.
    That's why I'm in love with Wrye Bash, it automatically tells me what the conflicts are and it lets me resolve them myself.

24. Post #3064
    August 2010
    6,943 Posts
    Well, I always preferred the vanilla over the thousands mods. I usually had some rebalancing mods in Oblivion/Fallout. Sometimes I used some superficial mods.

Right now I play Skyrim on the console and I really like how I am not bothered getting mods and such. Just enjoying the full vanilla game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Luxembourg Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #3065
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,617 Posts
    To be blunt, I would have never bothered with the Elder Scrolls series if not for the mods, mainly due to Bethesda's complete laxity when it comes to any sort of QA.
    I think I got over 100 hours out of Skyrim without mods, and over 100 more out of it with mods.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #3066
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    19,821 Posts
    That's why I'm in love with Wrye Bash, it automatically tells me what the conflicts are and it lets me resolve them myself.
    How well can it resolve conflicts? I might have to use it.
    I think I got over 100 hours out of Skyrim without mods, and over 100 more out of it with mods.
    Well hooray for you. It's hard enough for me finding anything to be entertaining nowadays without my savegames exploding or quests bugging out. Straw, camel's back etc.

27. Post #3067
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,617 Posts
    How well can it resolve conflicts? I might have to use it.
    Well enough. If you have multiple plugins doing things to one thing, you can create what is known as a BASHED patch, which combines all those plugins into one plugin, which helps to reduce conflicts. If you have multiple texture packs you can just tell which texture packs can be installed when, and you can easily change the order at any time by dragging and dropping.

Well hooray for you. It's hard enough for me finding anything to be entertaining nowadays without my savegames exploding or quests bugging out. Straw, camel's back etc.
    Another reason why Wrye is awesome is it can tell you what mods you are using on each save game, and it keeps detailed records of what files used to be where, etc. So if you install a mod that breaks things you can easily just uninstall it without having to remember where everything was, and then just go back to the save.

This thing is really powerful, and I'm still learning it, it does a lot of things.
    http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:W...h#Introduction
    This helped me. It has a high learning curve but now that I have a good grip on it, modding has become so much quicker and painless.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

28. Post #3068
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,629 Posts
    I'm having issues with wrye bash telling me to install a clean save of skyrim outside my program files folder. I tried installing it anyway and ran it as administrator and got this error message:
    Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "Wrye Bash Launcher.pyw", line 32, in <module>
        from bash import bash
      File "zipextimporter.pyo", line 92, in load_module
      File "bash\bash.pyo", line 40, in <module>
      File "bash\bolt.pyo", line 290, in <module>
    UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe5 in position 15: ordinal not in range(128)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

29. Post #3069
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,617 Posts
    I'm having issues with wrye bash telling me to install a clean save of skyrim outside my program files folder. I tried installing it anyway and ran it as administrator and got this error message:
    Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "Wrye Bash Launcher.pyw", line 32, in <module>
        from bash import bash
      File "bash\bash.pyo", line 40, in <module>
      File "bash\bolt.pyo", line 290, in <module>
    UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe5 in position 15: ordinal not in range(128)
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...7418-YUBN-8129
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

30. Post #3070
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,629 Posts
    It says the install folder thing is an issue with UAC, but that can usually be fixed by running the program as admin or disable UAC, I tried both, but it didn't work. So may it be an issue with the mods I have installed or may it be the fact that I am running on an OS in a different language than the languages supported for Skyrim?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

31. Post #3071
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    10,277 Posts
    Jesus, Morrowind is so empty. I can go ages without finding a dungeon and even then it's either an ancestral tomb (which I don't like taking from) or a kwama mine which have no humans for me to drink blood from with my various vampire mods. Don't want to attack random farmers/slaves either.

32. Post #3072
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,169 Posts
    Where's the cheapest place I could buy Skyrim? Everywhere I've seen still averages around RRP. If I can't get it cheaper than that I guess I'll have to wait for a sale.

33. Post #3073
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    19,821 Posts
    I'd imagine for Americans it's cheapest on Steam.

Edited:

EU gets fucked over by the 1$ = 1e exchange rate on Steam.
    Just realised my keyboard doesn't have the euro sign :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

34. Post #3074
    October 2009
    8,933 Posts
    I'd imagine for Americans it's cheapest on Steam.

Edited:

EU gets fucked over by the 1$ = 1e exchange rate on Steam.
    Just realised my keyboard doesn't have the euro sign :/

<3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

35. Post #3075
    April 2009
    930 Posts
    Now whenever I need the euro sign, I can always come to page 77 of this thread and copy/paste it.

Thanks LegndNikko! <3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #3076
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,907 Posts
    Someone suggest some non-graphical mods for Skyrim, feel like getting back into it.

37. Post #3077
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,453 Posts
    Someone suggest some non-graphical mods for Skyrim, feel like getting back into it.
    My mod? :3

Also, look for magic overhaul mods. Those can be good fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

38. Post #3078
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    6,047 Posts
    Duel - Combat realism, Dual wield parrying, more npc travelers, populated cities, and Alternate start. Those are the only non-graphical mods I have right now. Also, I made a dungeon. Look for Castle Brennenburgh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

39. Post #3079
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    7,569 Posts
    Duel - Combat realism, Dual wield parrying, more npc travelers, populated cities, and Alternate start. Those are the only non-graphical mods I have right now. Also, I made a dungeon. Look for Castle Brennenburgh.
    I hope to god you are not planning on using magic then.
    I simply cannot use magic without mods anymore, the magic in Skyrim is just so horrible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #3080
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    19,821 Posts
    Empowered magic, Duel: Combat Realism, ACE: Comprehensive Enhancements (complete perk tree overhaul (cept for magic, that's what EM is for) and more) and it's compatibility patches for EM and DCR.

Edited:

I haven't tried Deadly Combat, but unfortunately ACE doesn't have a compatibility patch for it :c
    Keep in mind if you do use ACE, it conflicts with quite a few mods, so load order is everything. Get the order right, use the available compatibility patches and it should all work well.