1. Post #3521
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    3,138 Posts
    He has the same voice as Nazeem, at that.

I hate (okay, not hate, but close) whoever voices Farkas. He has the same deadpan voice with every line, no matter the character or situation.

For some reason, on the subject of snobbish voices, I wish the "haughty female elf" had more lines that didn't belong to characters who are absolute dicks (Thalmor). I wish the male equivalent did too, because I swear he's the same guy who voiced Edward Roivas in Eternal Darkness.

And let us not forget, while on the subject, "Come to Dragonreachsh to discuss the ongoing hostilitiesh like the rest of the great warriorsh?" Damn that voice annoys the hell out of me.
    The ugly truth is that Skyrim's voice acting isn't really much better than Oblivion's. It's a shame that games these days aren't "TRIPLE A" titles if they have mainly text dialogue.

My personal least favorite is the Breton woman (i.e. the one at the vegetable stand in Solitude.) She sounds vaguely stupid, loud, and vaguely southern. I think they should've stuck with the pseudo-French accent they had in Oblivion, it fit the race perfectly IMO.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #3522
    I PAID $9 TO TROLL THE GMF BECAUSE I ASPIRE TO BE BETTER THAN MY PROSTITUTE MOTHER WITH 9 KIDS AND DRUNKEN FATHER WHO BEATS ME EVERY NIGHT. SOMETIMES I CRY MYSELF TO SLEEP HOPING THE MODS DONT BAN ME ;__;
    July 2011
    1,242 Posts
    every province of Hammerfell
    What...?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

3. Post #3523
    screamin 4 da gold
    January 2010
    6,733 Posts
    He has the same voice as Nazeem, at that. Incidentally and somewhat unrelated, I always laugh whenever I see the Archmage stand next to a high elf because he is seriously short and looks completely ridiculous in that robe.

I hate (okay, not hate, but close) whoever voices Farkas. He has the same deadpan voice with every line, no matter the character or situation.

For some reason, on the subject of snobbish voices, I wish the "haughty female elf" had more lines that didn't belong to characters who are absolute dicks (Thalmor). I wish the male equivalent did too, because I swear he's the same guy who voiced Edward Roivas in Eternal Darkness and has the perfect "bookish" voice. I really wish every voice was usable when making a companion NPC.

And let us not forget, while on the subject, "Come to Dragonreachsh to discuss the ongoing hostilitiesh like the rest of the great warriorsh?"
    "..and by that I mean I need you to delve into an ancient tomb to fetch a stone tablet that may or may not be there!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #3524
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    2,861 Posts
    The only really bad VA in Skyrim was the guy who does Whiterun's court mage. That was actually so unproffesional that it made my mouth hang open. Like, worse than some random peasant of Dynasty Warriors dub quality.

That said, it isnt really the VAs that make the NPCs bland. Overall I found them less distractingly hideous and better voice acted than in Obliv.

Also NPCs in Obliv stand like they have rectal complications.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #3525
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,460 Posts
    They fixed the problem of conversations in Oblivion where time would stop and their entire face would take up the screen and they would pierce your very being with their razer-sharp gaze.

They attempted to fix this by removing the time stop and letting you keep your camera control (sort of) and letting NPC's do basic idle animations to look more natural. But they still didn't fix the problem of NPC's never breaking eye contact. Not only that, but they keep eye-contact even if you are not in conversation! Every NPC within a 40 meter radius stares at the player character. So if you walk into an inn and sit down for some mead, everyone in the entire building just quietly stares at you. And to make matters even worse, your characters neck is cemented in place after character creation.

:/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #3526
    "some of those dragon dildo designs are pretty cool"
    February 2007
    8,666 Posts
    They fixed the problem of conversations in Oblivion where time would stop and their entire face would take up the screen and they would pierce your very being with their razer-sharp gaze.

They attempted to fix this by removing the time stop and letting you keep your camera control (sort of) and letting NPC's do basic idle animations to look more natural. But they still didn't fix the problem of NPC's never breaking eye contact. Not only that, but they keep eye-contact even if you are not in conversation! Every NPC within a 40 meter radius stares at the player character. So if you walk into an inn and sit down for some mead, everyone in the entire building just quietly stares at you. And to make matters even worse, your characters neck is cemented in place after character creation.

:/
    I wonder if this can be fixed with mods.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

7. Post #3527
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    12,010 Posts
    He has the same voice as Nazeem, at that. Incidentally and somewhat unrelated, I always laugh whenever I see the Archmage stand next to a high elf because he is seriously short and looks completely ridiculous in that robe.

For some reason, on the subject of snobbish voices, I wish the "haughty female elf" had more lines that didn't belong to characters who are absolute dicks (Thalmor). I wish the male equivalent did too, because I swear he's the same guy who voiced Edward Roivas in Eternal Darkness and has the perfect "bookish" voice. I really wish every voice was usable when making a companion NPC.

And let us not forget, while on the subject, "Come to Dragonreachsh to discuss the ongoing hostilitiesh like the rest of the great warriorsh?"
    i can tell farkas is supposed to be dumb from his lines but then the voice actor makes him sound not so dumb but instead emotionless
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #3528

August 2011
    5,969 Posts
    I wonder if this can be fixed with mods.
    The "everybody within 40 meters stares at you" was doable with an apparently simple fix in Wyre Bash for Oblivion. I can't imagine it being that much harder for Skyrim--then again, everything seems to be more difficult to do with the Creation Kit than the Construction Kit, so I wouldn't get my hopes up for it being simple.

Edited:

The only really bad VA in Skyrim was the guy who does Whiterun's court mage. That was actually so unproffesional that it made my mouth hang open. Like, worse than some random peasant of Dynasty Warriors dub quality.

That said, it isnt really the VAs that make the NPCs bland. Overall I found them less distractingly hideous and better voice acted than in Obliv.

I wonder if Farengar will go down as worse than "Jill Sandwich" Barry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

9. Post #3529
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    2,861 Posts
    You know, part of the reason Skyrim is the way it is was so it would sell to people who don't like RPGs. Literally everyone knows about this game. It's certainly not marketed like an RPG. If Bethesda made something like they made before with regard to roleplaying and authenticism, (yes, Morrowind, deal with it) it wouldn't walk or talk like the AAA title it is now. That said, they havent done nearly enough harm to make me mourn my childhood already.

With a little more attention to roleplaying Skyrim could be the godchild of TES that it ought to be.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

10. Post #3530
    October 2010
    7,301 Posts
    The thing i hate the most about essential characters is that crouch they all do.

They could of at least had, Random npc 24 is unconscious and made they ragdoll like oblivion and fallout. It was always fun to knock martin off of cloud ruler temple and watch him roll down the mountain, then slowly begin the trek back up.

Edited:

You know, part of the reason Skyrim is the way it is was so it would sell to people who don't like RPGs. Literally everyone knows about this game. It's certainly not marketed like an RPG. If Bethesda made something like they made before with regard to roleplaying and authenticism, (yes, Morrowind, deal with it) it wouldn't walk or talk like the AAA title it is now. That said, they havent done nearly enough harm to make me mourn my childhood already.

With a little more attention to roleplaying Skyrim could be the godchild of TES that it ought to be.
    Most people i know that have the game didn't know there was an elder scrolls 1-4.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

11. Post #3531
    You know what I hate probably the most about Skyrim (Apart from the bugs)

The fact that everyone fucking worships Talos.

You don't hear about ANY other divine except Talos, it's seriously annoying.

I really want it to be diverse, to here people go "For the love of Kynareth" or "By Akatosh", but everyone's all "For the love of Talos" or "By Talos".

It really just bugs me.
    Nords.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

12. Post #3532
    Puddin'
    November 2008
    10,350 Posts

Ulfric's VA is horrible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 13 (list)

13. Post #3533
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,633 Posts
    RPing? In Skyrim? The game where every single guard is notifying you that you are forced to be a specific character?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

14. Post #3534
    You have been told about The Nine. The eight and one. But you have never been told about the tenth God. The Keeper of The Dead and Lord of Oblivion. Malegas.

When Mankind were created, Malegas created another simular race. Stronger then the rest. He gave them abilities not fit for this realm. So The Gods bannished Malegas. Chained him to forever root in Oblivion.

Without their evil creator. The Demons were vurnerable. That is when Stendarr blessed his believers, making them into what they now call " The Vigilants of Stendarr". Blessed by the divines the Vigilants crushed every single demon they could find and cast them back to oblivion.

But.. One of the Demonīs chained his soul into a book. Cursing it,
    -"whoever open this book shall be mortal no longer"

And so the story goes.. The Book where lost. Never found.. Until now...
    what. This makes me want to pull my face out of my arse.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/18726
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 2 (list)

15. Post #3535
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,633 Posts
    In all those scenarios, the NPCs will constantly yell generic lines at you, even when they can't see you.

I think my brain is leaking a mysterious white fluid. I think it may be a sign I am intrigued.

-broken game-
    I have a bunch of mods installed, but I haven't had many problems with it. Sure, I sometimes get the crash because of a outdated mod that adds buildings, landscapes, etc., but I haven't had to re-install my game or start a new save. I am quite paranoid, however; I never install mods unless they fit my standards, I never download textures bigger than 1024x1024 and I never install overhauls/a pack of multiple mods.

Edited:

what. This makes me want to pull my face out of my arse.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/18726
    I already posted that.

16. Post #3536
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    10,307 Posts
    A lot of complaining here. Makes wonder just what's all this talk about 'true RPGs' and the like is about. Most like the most rose-tinted of glasses.

Platformers back in my day used to have just 2D, none of this 3rd dimention gimmick. And back in my day, if you died your game was destroyed, your console was distroyed, and your home repossesed. Gamers today have it too easy and I need someone to help me find my glasses and teeth and help me do other old person things.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

17. Post #3537
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,543 Posts
    your characters neck is cemented in place after character creation.
    I really hate this crap with a passion. Fallout 3 was like this too. I don't understand how they could go from having the player character looking at people/things in morrowind and oblivion, and then it just suddenly vanishing in fallout 3 (and subsequently, skyrim)

Clearly the functionality is still there because NPCs look at you while they walk around but for some retarded reason it doesn't work for the player, there doesnt seem to be a way to mod it in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #3538
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,633 Posts
    Platformers back in my day used to have just 2D, none of this 3rd dimension gimmick.
    RPGs are a lot different than platformers, they are quite harder to make. You have to take in account all the skills and items and then try to balance it all properly which may be a mess, to be easier to understand for modern gamers, companies have removed a lot of complex systems to make the game more about dumb fun and not about finding out how to defeat a monster using different strategies after your 154th death. In my opinion, RPGs need more strategy, it is what make the games fun to me and that is the reason why I play as a stealth character in Skyrim, because it creates tension and makes me think of how I should go about defeating my enemies one by one instead of hitting them with a sword until they fall over. So in these kind of games, if you add more complex gimmicks like different poisons and weapons to use in different situations, it just becomes more entertaining, but if they add dumb gimmicks like new abilities that look cool and kill enemies in one hit, they just become action games.

19. Post #3539
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    10,307 Posts
    RPGs are a lot different than platformers, they are quite harder to make. You have to take in account all the skills and items and then try to balance it all properly which may be a mess, to be easier to understand for modern gamers, companies have removed a lot of complex systems to make the game more about dumb fun and not about finding out how to defeat a monster using different strategies after your 154th death. In my opinion, RPGs need more strategy, it is what make the games fun to me and that is the reason why I play as a stealth character in Skyrim, because it creates tension and makes me think of how I should go about defeating my enemies one by one instead of hitting them with a sword until they fall over. So in these kind of games, if you add more complex gimmicks like different poisons and weapons to use in different situations, it just becomes more entertaining, but if they add dumb gimmicks like new abilities that look cool and kill enemies in one hit, they just become action games.
    It was just a joke about how the "Back in my day" mentality can be applied to pretty much anything. Music and RPGs are just the most common.

20. Post #3540
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    16,534 Posts
    Just cleaned Windhelm of all life without acquiring a bounty. Being an illusion/stealth/vampire is awesome.

Ulfric was nowhere to be found in or around the palace/Windhelm.

21. Post #3541
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,543 Posts
    Probably off eating dark elf babies or something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 8Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #3542
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,633 Posts
    Ulfric was nowhere to be found in or around the palace/Windhelm.
    He was probably asleep, try waiting until daytime.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

23. Post #3543
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    16,534 Posts
    RPing? In Skyrim? The game where every single guard is notifying you that you are forced to be a specific character?
    RPing is fine for me at least if you don't start the main quest (Live Another Life mod)

Edited:

He was probably asleep, try waiting until daytime.
    I did, I was there for ~4 days. It's probably because I haven't started the main quest yet he's somewhere to do with the Helgen attack?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #3544
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,633 Posts
    It is quite hard to listen to people's conversations, through. All they do is stare at you while talking to each other.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #3545
    June 2010
    4,367 Posts
    Ulfric's VA is horrible.
    What the fuck explain yourself
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

26. Post #3546
    In all those scenarios, the NPCs will constantly yell generic lines at you, even when they can't see you.

I think my brain is leaking a mysterious white fluid. I think it may be a sign I am intrigued.

I have a bunch of mods installed, but I haven't had many problems with it. Sure, I sometimes get the crash because of a outdated mod that adds buildings, landscapes, etc., but I haven't had to re-install my game or start a new save. I am quite paranoid, however; I never install mods unless they fit my standards, I never download textures bigger than 1024x1024 and I never install overhauls/a pack of multiple mods.

Edited:

I already posted that.
    Yeah but no one mentioned the god-awful "lore".

27. Post #3547
    July 2008
    663 Posts
    Skyrim Nexus posted:
    1.LORE

You have been told about The Nine. The eight and one. But you have never been told about the tenth God. The Keeper of The Dead and Lord of Oblivion. Malegas.

When Mankind were created, Malegas created another simular race. Stronger then the rest. He gave them abilities not fit for this realm. So The Gods bannished Malegas. Chained him to forever root in Oblivion.

Without their evil creator. The Demons were vurnerable. That is when Stendarr blessed his believers, making them into what they now call " The Vigilants of Stendarr". Blessed by the divines the Vigilants crushed every single demon they could find and cast them back to oblivion.

But.. One of the Demonīs chained his soul into a book. Cursing it,
    -"whoever open this book shall be mortal no longer"

And so the story goes.. The Book where lost. Never found.. Until now...
    This guy's writing is the best and completely fits into the existing TES universe
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

28. Post #3548
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    16,534 Posts
    What the fuck explain yourself
    "legends don't burn down villages"

fucking love it when he says that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 19 (list)

29. Post #3549
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,633 Posts
    This also made me bang my head against a wall several times, especially because he made his own lore section.

30. Post #3550
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    12,087 Posts
    This guy's writing is the best and completely fits into the existing TES universe
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #3551
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    10,307 Posts
    Now you guys know how I feel whenever people talk about Kirkbride, CHIM, Vivec, or the Godhead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #3552
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,356 Posts

Yes another one of these. P good tho imo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

33. Post #3553
    : |
    February 2009
    3,611 Posts
    GLITCH RANT POST

I finally found a light armour that I love on my Breton Vampire character, the Thieves Guild Master's armour. But after I became a vampire, I get this mesh/texture glitch whenever I wear the hood, and it appears invisible with only the back of my character's hair showing, with a monk-like dome shaved off the middle of his hair. Needless to say it looks retarded and now I can't wear that hood anymore, along with Linwe's and the normal Thieve's Guild hood. I've searched it online and it is an uncommon problem. Why have the Nine forsaken me like this?

Here's a video (not mine)

Anybody else had this? Or know how to fix it? Bethesda had better fix this what with the vampire-centric DLC coming out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Portugal Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #3554
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    19,837 Posts
    Stealth indoors with ASIS is damn near impossible. 1: AI is much more perceptive and 2: There's more of them. And for some reason, even with 40 in sneak and 1-handers I have been completely unable to get a nice throat slitting kill at all :c
    Shouldn't be this hard to kill bandits. Might be a compatibility issue; i'll disable ASIS's sneak tweaks and go for a mod specifically tailored to stealth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events

35. Post #3555
    [B][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacos"]Tacos![/URL][/B]
    April 2008
    5,450 Posts
    Am I the only one who can run Skyrim perfectly fine, even with mods enabled? I see a lot of complaints coming from you guys and I personally haven't experienced anything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

36. Post #3556
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    6,174 Posts
    The only real problems I have encountered so far is me swinging my weapons at light speed and standing on my horse for mounted combat. Other than that my game runs fine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #3557
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    16,534 Posts
    Am I the only one who can run Skyrim perfectly fine, even with mods enabled? I see a lot of complaints coming from you guys and I personally haven't experienced anything.
    I have like 70 mods installed and it works perfectly now :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #3558
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,633 Posts
    I am having the same problem, I have tried everything, but Skyrim just do not wish to crash. I think it is something wrong with my computer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #3559
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    16,534 Posts
    I am having the same problem, I have tried everything, but Skyrim just do not wish to crash. I think it is something wrong with my computer.
    Send it to Geeksquad they'll fix that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

40. Post #3560
    May 2011
    2,642 Posts

Did I make the Elven ancestry noticeable enough in this Breton? (gramatical fail aside)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)