1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    3,269 Posts
    http://mightyohm.com/blog/2012/04/valve/

Kinda missed this under the radar until Jeri mentioned this.

Hello, my name is Jeff Keyzer. This is my blog.

A few things about me:

I’m an Electrical Engineer. I studied Circuits and Systems at the University of California, San Diego (MSEE ’02).
    When I’m not traveling the world, I spend most of my time in San Francisco Austin, Texas.
    I have over eight years experience in radio frequency integrated circuit (RFIC) design. Most of my experience is in designing power amplifier chips and antenna switches for wireless LAN and cellular devices.
    In 2008, I started doing freelance design work in embedded systems development, PCB design, and electronics prototyping. (The really fun stuff!)
    I’m an occasional guest-host of The Amp Hour, “an off-the-cuff radio show and podcast for electronics enthusiasts and professionals.”
    I’m currently co-writing a book (with Mitch Altman of TV-B-Gone fame) about making fun projects with AVR microcontrollers, to be published by No Starch Press. One notable offshoot of this project is the Soldering is Easy comic book that I created with Mitch Altman and Andie Nordgren.

I blog primarily about electronics and embedded systems. Expect to see posts about microcontrollers (mostly PIC and AVR), Arduino, embedded Linux, electronic circuits, DIY projects, and other related stuff. Most of the projects featured here were born in my lab, but occasionally I will feature projects from friends of mine as well.

I also sell a few things that I designed, including a very popular Open Source Geiger Counter kit.

Aside from my obsession with electronics, I enjoy working on old cars, machining, welding, fabricating, and generally building stuff.
    He's a pretty cool guy and seems like a good match for what's being worked on at valve.

Mightyohm talks about valve during the amp hour here:
    http://www.theamphour.com/2012/04/22...#comment-12015
    around 24 mins in, Jeff talks about how challenging it is to get into valve. I thought when Garry interviewed with valve he just had a bad day, but now that I see it Garry probably did just fine.

The amp hour episode does demistify some questions I've seen on facepunch people have asked, so the EE people might take a gander at this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Informative Informative x 6Useful Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,280 Posts
    I thought when Garry interviewed with valve he just had a bad day, but now that I see it Garry probably did just fine.
    I remember Garry saying it was a phone interview. I also remember Garry saying he has a thick accent. My guess is that Garry wasn't hired because they didn't understand shit of what he was saying over at Valve's end.

Anyway, so Jeff Keyzer is probably the hardware engineer whom's going to jump on the wearable computing R&D project.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,722 Posts
    Garry said that he would never want to become someone's employee
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 11Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    3,269 Posts
    I remember Garry saying it was a phone interview. I also remember Garry saying he has a thick accent. My guess is that Garry wasn't hired because they didn't understand shit of what he was saying over at Valve's end.

Anyway, so Jeff Keyzer is probably the hardware engineer whom's going to jump on the wearable computing R&D project.
    Knowing Jeff a little more then most everyone here, he's capable (he might not believe it himself) of venturing into the team for the linux port of the source engine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    July 2009
    6,018 Posts
    Garry said that he would never want to become someone's employee
    At Valve, you aren't anyone's employee. Their mentality is that you are your own boss and you decide what you do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,769 Posts
    At Valve, you aren't anyone's employee. Their mentality is that you are your own boss and you decide what you do.
    Valve seems to me like willy wonka's game factory. Maybe, if I work real hard, one day... Aaah, might aswell kill myself, never gonna work there
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,213 Posts
    Valve seems to me like willy wonka's game factory. Maybe, if I work real hard, one day... Aaah, might aswell kill myself, never gonna work there
    Or you could just

Y'know

Actually try working on a skill to get accepted there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    14,965 Posts
    Well balls an MS huh, I wonder how useful for getting in that was.