1. Post #1

Russell Brand, a former heroin addict, told MPs it would be better if drug addiction were more a health issue than a crime matter Photograph: Ian West/PA
    Comedian, actor and former heroin addict, Russell Brand, has suggested politicians should regard drug addiction as a disease to be treated as a health issue rather than a criminal or judicial matter.

The flamboyant film star, who arrived to give evidence to the Commons home affairs select committee, wearing a black hat, gold chains and crosses, and a torn black vest top, confirmed he had been arrested around a dozen times for drug possession.

He agreed it would be "a brilliant idea" if the policing costs of "nicking people for possession" were instead used to fund treatment and drug education programmes.

But Brand, who has given frank accounts of his battles to overcome heroin addiction, was careful to make clear he didn't want to start "banging the drum" for legalisation. He said he didn't feel qualified to talk about legalisation although he did think it was possible for some people to take drugs safely and he didn't want to be identified with a "just say no campaign".

He said he didn't think that drug addicts cared about the legal status of the drugs they were taking, or where they came from or the consequences for those involved in their production.

"I don't think they are going to be affected because they're normally on drugs," he said.

But he was keen to stress to the MPs, who are conducting an inquiry into drug policy, that he believed that an abstinence-based recovery approach was needed. "We don't want to discard people by writing them off on methadone and leaving them on the sidelines," he said, although he acknowledged the heroin substitute could play a role as part of a recovery programme.

He said rather than any carrot or stick approach he wanted to see "love and compassion" in society's response. He said his own drug addiction had been caused by emotional and psychological difficulties and a spiritual malady. It was more important to tackle those than treating addicts as criminals, he added.

The rapidly spoken comedian tried to engage the MPs on the committee, chaired by the former Labour minister Keith Vaz, with some banter. When Vaz asked if he had been arrested "roughly" 12 times, he replied: "Yes, it was rough."

When the veteran Labour MP, David Winnick, gently suggested he shouldn't treat the committee as a variety show, he couldn't resist pointing out that it seemed more like Dad's Army to him.

When the MPs suggested that as a celebrity he could be a role model for young people, Brand responded: "Who cares about bloody celebrities? Their role is insignificant." He said he wasn't trying to get a message across to young people but to people with addiction and wanted to ensure that the response to them was based on "truth and authenticity".

His backing for a more abstinence-based approach was supported by Chip Somers, the chief executive of the detox centre, Focus 12, where Brand went for help: "Just to park people on methadone for four to seven years is criminal."
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...-addiction-mps

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Agree Agree x 67Winner Winner x 16Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    23,083 Posts
    He agreed it would be "a brilliant idea" if the policing costs of "nicking people for possession" were instead used to fund treatment and drug education programmes.

But Brand, who has given frank accounts of his battles to overcome heroin addiction, was careful to make clear he didn't want to start "banging the drum" for legalisation. He said he didn't feel qualified to talk about legalisation although he did think it was possible for some people to take drugs safely and he didn't want to be identified with a "just say no campaign".
    I like the sound of this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 28 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member

June 2005
    1,071 Posts
    Sorry what? I can't hear you over the sound of all the money that federal and private agencies are making by keeping drug use subject for severe punishment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 25Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    6,643 Posts
    Goddam brand is smart.

He's a fucking amazing speaker.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 26 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    16,697 Posts
    I didn't think he was this intelligent, awesome speaking.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 28 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    7,349 Posts
    Always nice to see a celebrity standing up for a cause.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

7. Post #7
    November 2010
    1,448 Posts
    Finally someone says this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

8. Post #8
    October 2009
    9,446 Posts
    ...You mean it wasn't before hand?

...That's... Fucked.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8 (list)

9. Post #9
    Jsm
    "Belgium is pretty much a non-country"
    June 2006
    8,036 Posts
    He is surprisingly intelligent, I was surprised as well. From what I have heard his book is quite well written and interesting.

Also, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17828670
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    very true, plus people need to realize that drugs aren't the issue, it's the people and their mentalities.

11. Post #11
    White Fusion will love him forever and ever~
    January 2012
    10,936 Posts
    Sorry what? I can't hear you over the sound of all the money that federal and private agencies are making by keeping drug use subject for severe punishment.
    The UK doesn't have a federal government.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 10 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    5,665 Posts
    man states the obvious

world applauses: "genius!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 19Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,782 Posts
    Yeah but my freedoms

14. Post #14
    July 2010
    1,746 Posts
    Yeah but my freedoms
    You're kidding, right?

15. Post #15
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,289 Posts
    man states the obvious

such is life when politics are involved.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,867 Posts
    man states the obvious

Nobody ever states the obvious though, especially not to officials. And if they do, they are quckly blasted down. It's good that he's done what he's done, as now it has gained public view and it shows that not all drug addicts are the horrible uneducated people you commonly see them shown as.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

17. Post #17
    looking rad, feeling sad
    April 2011
    4,406 Posts
    Have you read the article he wrote when Amy Winehouse died? That was brilliant.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,588 Posts
    I think what makes him maybe not a genius but something notable is being able to speak about it without ranting or otherwise coming across as someone easily ignored.

Too many people who have worthwhile perspectives to give on issues often present themselves in such a way that the very people they need to communicate with can't take them seriously.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    1,453 Posts
    man states the obvious

Because it is not being done already! If it was obvious, then it would have been put into law by now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Zing Zing x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    16,697 Posts
    Have you read the article he wrote when Amy Winehouse died? That was brilliant.
    No, but I'll give it a read now, thanks.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    5,199 Posts
    I can't believe people don't consider this common sense by now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    12,357 Posts
    Because it is not being done already! If it was obvious, then it would have been put into law by now
    Nope, welcome to politics
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Brunei Darussalam Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    hang you're self
    March 2008
    4,778 Posts
    man states the obvious

when you're constantly subjected to a world of liars, hypocrites, and idiots, seeing someone infiltrate it with a clear mind and good reasoning should be a cause for praise.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,226 Posts
    Do you think he's pushing the issue so hard because of what happened to Winehouse?

25. Post #25
    December 2010
    38 Posts
    I saw him one of his shows on his tour and didn't expect much more than tits and dick jokes. But he is one of the smartest men I will ever hear speak. If he has another tour soon I suggest you all go. Also, there are tit and dick jokes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    3,606 Posts
    Now if only he wasn't dressed like twat...

But in seriousness, it is very difficult to judge drug usage, it's so subjective

27. Post #27
    very true, plus people need to realize that drugs aren't the issue, it's the people and their mentalities.
    not the case with heroin/meth/cocaine but stuff like ecstacy/weed etc yeah it is.

28. Post #28
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    January 2007
    2,692 Posts
    I always thought there was more to Brand than dick jokes, looks like I was right.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member

June 2005
    1,071 Posts
    The UK doesn't have a federal government.
    yah but the united states do and don't you think the UK will attempt to change anything drugpolicy related while crawling american policy makers so deep in the arse they could offer tourists a very new exploration expedition called the London Dungeon 2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 3Informative Informative x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    16,697 Posts
    yah but the united states do and don't you think the UK will attempt to change anything drugpolicy related while crawling american policy makers so deep in the arse they could offer tourists a very new exploration expedition called the London Dungeon 2
    What the fuck am I reading?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    June 2010
    4,372 Posts
    What the fuck am I reading?
    "rabble rabble london dungeon 2: anus expedition"

I assume that the US is influential. I know we are for Canada when we threaten them on drug policy and they listen.

32. Post #32
    January 2012
    10,936 Posts
    I'm not entirely sure what you're saying here, but we don't really give much of a fuck about what foreign right wingers think about rehabilitating criminals.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    7,239 Posts
    A celebrity saying something intelligent? get outta here.

34. Post #34
    April 2010
    4,496 Posts
    But then who will be forced to make all our ammunition for 10 cents an hour in a prison!

35. Post #35
    Gold Member

June 2005
    1,071 Posts
    I'm not entirely sure what you're saying here, but we don't really give much of a fuck about what foreign right wingers think about rehabilitating criminals.
    uhuh thats why your government not only didn't listen to the reclassification urges by a scientific institute regarding marijunana no they also fired the chairman and ramped up classification so dont think the UK has that much to say about its own policies when cameron and clegg are following uncle sam like theyre his pet yorkshire terrier
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Official Bro of DD

June 2010
    13,642 Posts
    uhuh thats why your government not only didn't listen to the reclassification urges by a scientific institute regarding marijunana no they also fired the chairman and ramped up classification so dont think the UK has that much to say about its own policies when cameron and clegg are following uncle sam like theyre his pet yorkshire terrier
    They decriminalized growing up to 7 plants.

You're wrong!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    January 2012
    10,936 Posts
    Although I will agree that Cameron and Nick Clegg are terrible.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member

June 2005
    1,071 Posts
    omfg i take it back

toke up!

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    16,697 Posts
    Even the liberal democrats have grown to hate the liberal democrats

40. Post #40
    GAYLORD
    Wikipedia Vandilisation Contest Winner
    June 2005
    15,017 Posts
    They decriminalized growing up to 7 plants.

You're wrong!
    no they didn't
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)