1. Post #1

September 2010
    458 Posts
    Arizona is considering legislation that would let parents see the text messages on the phones of their children, if they're under the age of 18. The bill is proposed by a state senator who has six daughters -- with understandable concerns for their safety and the safety of other minors who might be victims of harassment or bullying.

Senate Bill 1219 would let wireless carriers charge parents to see their kids' text messages, which right now can only be viewed by parents who obtain a court order. If the law passes, carriers would still need to get consent first from the minor before allowing parents to view the messages.

If I have a 13-year-old being harassed via text, I cant call and get those texts, State Sen. Rich Crandall, who's proposing the law, told the Arizona Republic. This bill will allow me to at least pay to see the text messages for my children."

CTIA, the trade industry association that represents U.S. wireless carriers, is against the legislation, saying it will not only conflict with federal law, but also be unrealistic.

"Under federal law, electronic communication service providers must obtain consent from the content originator, which would be the children, not their parents," said Jamie Hastings, CTIA vice president, external and state affairs, in a statement to msnbc.com.

"Effectively obtaining consent is quite unworkable. Moreover, even if consent was obtained, consent does not last indefinitely for all future communications; effective consent can be revoked at any time. Ultimately, there is no way for a wireless provider to know whether consent obtained in the past still applies to text messages sent several months or years later. If this law was passed, a service provider, once receiving a parental request, would have to either independently obtain consent from a minor child or risk violating either state or federal law."

The bill has been approved by the state Senate's Judiciary Committee, but has some more hurdles ahead. It requires approval by the state Senate, then the House and finally, the governor.

Another state senator proposed a less-complicated, but also less virtuous approach for parents who want to see their kids' text messages.

"Why don't you take a flashlight and go in the closet and read the texts?" said state Sen. Judy Burges, a member of Judiciary Committee who voted against the legislation.
    http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/t...ssages-223910?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Funny Funny x 36Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

2. Post #2
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,158 Posts
    Welcome to ~The Nanny Zone~

(Arizona in case any of you missed it)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 12Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    ask me for a rust key :~)
    December 2008
    18,306 Posts
    Wait. so the kid has to consent to it?

why would you say yes then

hahahahah
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 42Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    7,314 Posts
    Makes sense, if the parent is paying for the phone and service in their name they should be able to see what is going on. I'm sure if parents could see this information many lives could be saved due to the fact they can see what kids are saying to each other. Because we all know kids lie to their parents, parents asks one thing and the kids says something just to make them happy and get the parents off their back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 16Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    ALPHA MALE
    Dennab
    January 2012
    1,541 Posts
    are parents really so shitty that they need laws to know what their kids are doing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 47 (list)

7. Post #7
    ﷽ ﷽ ﷽ ﷽ ﷽ ﷽ ﷽ ﷽ ﷽ ﷽ ﷽ ﷽ ﷽ ﷽ ﷽ ﷽ ﷽
    March 2010
    8,264 Posts
    I have no problem with this.

They need the minor's consent first, so whats the problem? Title is misleading.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    916 Posts
    This makes perfect sense though. You can now get records from your wireless provider, for a fee, to bring to police, or your school(who CAN'T obtain a court order). This still leaves the court order approach open too. This is invaluable in cases where a student is being bullied. It's not a nanny state bill either, because the kid has to consent to it.

Fix your title. In reality, this bill just lets you access your wireless history for a fee. It has nothing do with tracking your kids. We'll finally be able to see records that weren't available to us before.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    17,505 Posts
    I see no problem with this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,311 Posts
    I love how the bill is basically winning over all the wireless carriers by already including the fact it will be a paid service. Get laws to protect kids from being exposed to bullying over texting and get more money in services for the carriers! Win/Win! I'm also guessing the senator is Republican family conservative moron who doesn't support birth control, hence his six daughters.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    916 Posts
    I love how the bill is basically winning over all the wireless carriers by already including the fact it will be a paid service. Get laws to protect kids from being exposed to bullying over texting and get more money in services for the carriers! Win/Win! I'm also guessing the senator is Republican family conservative moron who doesn't support birth control, hence his six daughters.
    And it'll probably be a nominal fee, such as the one you pay when you ask for very old account statements from your bank, basically a processing fee. These texts could be so old, they could be in a detached archive system that requires employee time to recover. A fee sounds fine to me.

In legal cases, a court order can still be sent which costs nothing.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    13,269 Posts
    I'm in favor of this.
    Not really because I care about their safety, but because I don't particularly like obnoxious teenagers obsessed with cellphones

Edited:

Oh how I'd love to see them get cockblocked and trolled by their parents reading everything they say
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    Even though the teens will have to consent, I'm afraid the parents would abuse their authority to gain consent.

I'm in favor of this.
    Not really because I care about their safety, but because I don't particularly like obnoxious teenagers obsessed with cellphones

Edited:

Oh how I'd love to see them get cockblocked and trolled by their parents reading everything they say
    That's waaay over the healthy limit of Schadenfreude.
    Not cool man, not cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,556 Posts
    For anyone who is in Arizona and doesn't want their parents to see their text messages, don't use text messages, they are not secure in the first place. You are better off using Google Talk or something like that.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    For anyone who is in Arizona and doesn't want their parents to see their text messages, don't use text messages, they are not secure in the first place. You are better off using Google Talk or something like that.
    Not everyone has a smartphone y'know.
    Also GTalk requires data.
    So yeah, that's not exactly the smartest post you've made.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    ?
    January 2006
    5,165 Posts

hahahahah
    If the parents are buying their phones, then they may not buy it for their kids if they don't consent.

17. Post #17
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,556 Posts
    Not everyone has a smartphone y'know.
    Also GTalk requires data.
    So yeah, that's not exactly the smartest post you've made.
    If they had the option, they should use it. That was what I was talking about.

18. Post #18
    BOSSMAN
    January 2009
    4,467 Posts
    But then the kids would just not use text messaging to convey private messages and this whole thing would be a waste of money...

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    If they had the option, they should use it. That was what I was talking about.
    And only a limited amount of people has.
    Making the point pretty much moot.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    4,110 Posts
    If the kid consents to the parent being allowed to view their text why have the law in the first place? Surely the kid could just show the parent the message on the phone rather than go through the extra cost and legal hassle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

21. Post #21
    February 2010
    2,206 Posts

hahahahah
    Parents could threaten them by getting grounded or taking away something they like (eg computer) until they let them see it.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    10,977 Posts
    Parents could threaten them by getting grounded or taking away something they like (eg computer) until they let them see it.
    Any parent who pulls that is a moron.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    6,129 Posts
    Or uh just the simple solution of not paying for text access fpr their kids if they don't consent to this

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    17,308 Posts
    I see no problem with this.
    Generally teaching your kid that it's okay to be constantly monitored and making shitty parents rely on the legal system to have an authority over their children is not a good idea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    6,129 Posts
    Generally teaching your kid that it's okay to be constantly monitored and making shitty parents rely on the legal system to have an authority over their children is not a good idea.
    Well parents are the ones paying for this service if they're paying the cell bill
    Since it says that one must consent to be monitored, if a kid were to pay his own cell bill they couldn't be monitored so

26. Post #26
    July 2008
    3,638 Posts
    Parent's still do this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    17,308 Posts
    Well parents are the ones paying for this service if they're paying the cell bill
    Since it says that one must consent to be monitored, if a kid were to pay his own cell bill they couldn't be monitored so
    So basically you have to pay for your own freedom, okay

Edited:

Also I doubt parents willing to use this stupid law will actually ask their kid to agree with it. They'll just assume they agree or force them to consent.

28. Post #28
    I'M AN AUSSIE FAGGOT
    December 2008
    26,094 Posts
    Ouch, that would kinda suck

29. Post #29
    Fluttershy Enthusiast
    June 2011
    5,567 Posts
    Hey parents, Its called take your kids phone when they're being bad.

30. Post #30
    May 2010
    11,122 Posts
    this sounds like a great way to foster trust between family members

and by that i mean murder each other

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    3,445 Posts
    So basically you have to pay for your own freedom, okay

Edited:

Also I doubt parents willing to use this stupid law will actually ask their kid to agree with it. They'll just assume they agree or force them to consent.
    What the fu-
    How do you pay for your freedom? The parents pay the bills, they can do whatever they want.

32. Post #32
    March 2012
    1,701 Posts
    And the passengers get away scot free.

33. Post #33
    November 2007
    84 Posts
    I'm pretty sure you can do this already. i know you can call the company up and ask for a transcript and I've heard that it can even be mailed monthly with your phone bill

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,167 Posts
    Parent's still do this?
    Uh, yes, it's called punishment and it's generally used to treat children in situations when they've done something wrong while acknowledging that it's not right.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    17,308 Posts
    What the fu-
    How do you pay for your freedom? The parents pay the bills, they can do whatever they want.
    His point was that if the kids wanted to be free with their calls and texts they have to pay the bills themselves so they aren't being watched over by their parents.

36. Post #36
    But then the kids would just not use text messaging to convey private messages and this whole thing would be a waste of money...
    Hey some of us are just that dumb OK :colbert:

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    10,346 Posts
    A parent should have the authority to see their kid's phone anyways just because they're the parent and paying for the contract.

You have to a pretty pitiful parent to need a law for this.

38. Post #38
    I wasted a dollar on a stupid title.
    September 2007
    16,924 Posts
    Introducing the new app, EncryptAllTheFuckingShit.
    It encrypts all your fucking shit (that means daddy can't see your text messages).

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    471 Posts
    I am entirely ok with this, they shouldn't even need the child's consent even. I mean until you turn 18 here in the states you aren't considered an adult so I don't see the issue.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,130 Posts
    That's fine, they are paying for it. If the minor was paying for their service and the parent still had the right to see the text messages that would be a problem then.