1. Post #1
    March 2009
    21 Posts
    Hello there, and welcome to the thread. The TC project has been removed from the forum, as this thread is no longer relevant to the topic that's being discussed.

Can some programmers help program this simulation that me and my friend have designed for the outerra engine?

The previous link to the documentation has been removed, due to the result of this thread. This picture shows what I think of programmers on this forum because of the result.

There is no time frame for looking at the picture.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Optimistic Optimistic x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    4,835 Posts
    Skilled and perseverent programmers generally want something in return for their time.

Just saying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    March 2009
    21 Posts
    Skilled and perseverent programmers generally want something in return for their time.

Just saying.
    Yeah, but unfortunately, there is no way for me to repay them for their hard work. I would if I could.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,821 Posts
    Looks pretty complex from a cursory skim, good luck getting someone to do this for free.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    March 2009
    21 Posts
    Looks pretty complex from a cursory skim, good luck getting someone to do this for free.
    Something tells me that luck has nothing to do with the case.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    Programming King and Most Patient Member 2013
    December 2008
    1,151 Posts
    There is no time frame.
    Read: "will never be finished."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    I get the impression from your design document that you don't quite understand the things you're trying to explain.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

8. Post #8
    January 2008
    83 Posts
    how do you get access to outerra code?

9. Post #9
    March 2009
    21 Posts
    how do you get access to outerra code?
    Why are you asking that?

Are you interested in getting access to the outerra code? If you are, you can get it through the TC project.

Also, about the money, you don't know me by the 10 posts that I've done. I could be a criminal with the intention to steal money, by devising the TC project to get access to personnel information that's required to actually transfer the money.

To transfer the money, I need either a credit card number, or a postal code. Am I right?

So, if I get an address, I can go to your house and steal your credit card, and locate your PIN number and take the money out of your account.

If I get your credit card number, I can do the same, but faster.

BUT, taking that into account, why am I telling you what I'm telling you my scheme? True robbers don't tell their schemes and just do it.

The truth is in the bread and pudding.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Funny Funny x 4 (list)

10. Post #10
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    The documentation is pretty detailed holy crap

11. Post #11
    Crescent fresh
    January 2011
    966 Posts
    I'm sorry but why is it transport craft as opposed to any other word combination?

12. Post #12
    March 2009
    21 Posts
    The documentation is pretty detailed holy crap
    Yeah, the problem exactly is that
    1: Of the problems I've listed above.
    2: There is no fixed cashflow.

I'm sorry but why is it transport craft as opposed to any other word combination?
    Well... to put it in laymans terms, the game's related to transport, and it's building.

Craft is another term for build, and the two fit nicely together. So basically, you can build your own transport within the simulation.

It's all in the documentation if you will only read it.

Edited:

In light of the website http://www.kickstarter.com/

Funds might become available (it may be hard, but it maybe possible).

Are there any programmers that are interested, willing and able to change the current world of simulators so that it will be better than it is now?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    January 2008
    83 Posts
    Why are you asking that?

Are you interested in getting access to the outerra code? If you are, you can get it through the TC project.
    You didn't answered my question. I am just wondering what you going to do in this project?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Turkey Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    March 2009
    21 Posts
    You didn't answered my question. I am just wondering what you going to do in this project?
    Well.

that's an interesting question, because I've started doing illustrations in designing a while ago. So I'd have no problem in doing the GUI for TC.

A friend who co-worked with me on the documentation and the game in general, is good with sounds.

15. Post #15
    January 2008
    83 Posts
    Well.

that's an interesting question, because I've started doing illustrations in designing a while ago. So I'd have no problem in doing the GUI for TC.

A friend who co-worked with me on the documentation and the game in general, is good with sounds.
    I am sorry but no one will want to work with you. There is lot of projects started out there like yours. But they didn't worked because their common point was owner of project knew nothing about important stuff ( coding, graphics... ) and wants to make a game. Most of the time they only a kid.

I am sorry , real world not works this way.

Edit: You should provide some work other than some illustrations or game design document.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Turkey Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    March 2009
    21 Posts
    I am sorry but no one will want to work with you. There is lot of projects started out there like yours. But they didn't worked because their common point was owner of project knew nothing about important stuff ( coding, graphics... ) and wants to make a game. Most of the time they only a kid.

I am sorry kid, real world not works this way.
    Would a kid, spend months creating a documentation which "is pretty detailed"?

Other then that, I've got nothing.

Edit:
    Edit: You should provide some work other than some illustrations or game design document.
    What sort of "work", are you looking for? a guy who can't actually program can't show much.

Besides, can you show me what "work" is. Because, I view work, as in what you've done, and feel proud of when you've finished what you've done. Mind it moving a heavy box, done a drawing (maybe a bit of art), whatever it maybe, it's still work.

I take pride in what I do. Even though it's not programming.

What I hope to do, when this thread is finished, is to create something like http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...37-d4ufxlf.svg in Transport Craft. And then drive it around in outerra.

So, if you've got nothing to contribute here, then you're better off moving along.

Lyrics from a song: "Move along, move along like I know you do".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

17. Post #17
    January 2008
    83 Posts
    Would a kid, spend months creating a documentation which "is pretty detailed"?

Other then that, I've got nothing.
    I could consider contribution if you were the guy who made that engine. That's why I asked.

Documenting an imagination is not an "enough" skill. You should have skills or money to buy skills. You looking expert people to work for free. Why they should help your project, while there is tons of projects and people like you?

Hell it will be better if they start their own project and work on it. Which is most of them already doing. And it will be more easier for them to gather people for "free" around his project since those people will know project will go on. The people you looking need at least 10 years of programming or modeling skills, you offer just some text and drawing.

Talk is cheap. Show me the code.
    Torvalds, Linus (2000-08-25).
    Edit: Work is branches in a project that took majority of hours spent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Turkey Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    June 2010
    1,337 Posts
    Hi.
    I've got an idea for a game that I really really want to play. I've written loads and loads about how I want it to work, so can you make it for me?
    I can't pay you and offer no other compensation. I also have a poor grasp of English, so working with me might be difficult.
    But you'll be changing the world of stimulators forever!
    I have done zero market research, and am apparently not very good at organising people.
    Think of me as more of an 'ideas guy', rather than someone who does any work.
    This is what we see when we read threads like this. Go make it yourself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,189 Posts
    Dumb project, dumb ideas guy. Move along.

20. Post #20
    March 2009
    21 Posts
    This is what we see when we read threads like this. Go make it yourself.
    Well... At least you put it in a better way then burak575 did.

Not to say I'm not disappointed... But there goes months of research and planning.

Cya.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    3,940 Posts
    Your design document isn't bad.

I'd recommend though, that you learn to program. If you had a decent understanding of that, you could write a design document that specifically dealt with implementation at the code level (Which is vitally important), you'd be able to converse effectively with others working on the project, and you'd be able to contribute enough that people would be less likely to think of you as just an "ideas" guy.

To be honest, if I felt I could rely on someone and they had a complete specification for their project, I'd actually be very tempted to give them a hand on it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

22. Post #22
    March 2009
    21 Posts
    Your design document isn't bad.

I'd recommend though, that you learn to program. If you had a decent understanding of that, you could write a design document that specifically dealt with implementation at the code level (Which is vitally important), you'd be able to converse effectively with others working on the project, and you'd be able to contribute enough that people would be less likely to think of you as just an "ideas" guy.

To be honest, if I felt I could rely on someone and they had a complete specification for their project, I'd actually be very tempted to give them a hand on it.
    I would feel the same in your position, to be honest.

I do try... But I can't learn everything. There's only so much time in a day.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    3,940 Posts
    Well assuming you aren't 90 you got plenty of time to learn.

And don't worry about someone else doing your game before you can. I had the same feeling of urgency when I started programming, but what I've realized is that no one's ever going to do exactly what you want to do, and furthermore, you're going to have ideas coming out of your ears by the time you're good enough to start implementing them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #24
    March 2009
    21 Posts
    Well assuming you aren't 90 you got plenty of time to learn.

And don't worry about someone else doing your game before you can. I had the same feeling of urgency when I started programming, but what I've realized is that no one's ever going to do exactly what you want to do, and furthermore, you're going to have ideas coming out of your ears by the time you're good enough to start implementing them.
    Yeah, well, the pressure of "urgency" didn't appear until I posted the actual documentation. Because I knew if I concealed all of the ideas, then no one could copy the exact documentation. And possibly replicate the game.

The thing is, is that when I started this project, it started out of the fact that other simulators were not good enough for me and my friend.

I wanted to create my own vehicles (simulators currently do not have the ability to make your own vehicles, at most, they will allow you import or customise them, but not make them in-game), while my friend wanted to use vehicles in the world, in a 1:1 scale. Again, simulators are very limited in the fact that you have a very limited amount of world that you can explore.

As the complaints about today's simulators grew, but at the same time, so did the transport craft list, based on the problems. And the new ideas that came in, were also mainly based off things which actually had them implemented.

I tried to keep the list as realistic and as possible as possible so that this wouldn't happen.

I admit, there's ideas which weren't included because I know that I didn't know how to include them within the documentation, or there wasn't a section to include them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    104 Posts
    Stop right here Ben, go, learn programming
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    December 2009
    1,113 Posts
    The total amount of time you and your friend have put into these "ideas" is probably less than 1/10th of the amount of time your programmers will spend on actually finishing the game. What makes you think that someone who has the ability to create anything he wants would be willing to toil away at some game you'd like to play, without any kind of fund/compensation. After all, at the end of the day you're the ideas guy, the boss, and you'll demand full credit for "your" game.

27. Post #27
    March 2009
    21 Posts
    The total amount of time you and your friend have put into these "ideas" is probably less than 1/10th of the amount of time your programmers will spend on actually finishing the game. What makes you think that someone who has the ability to create anything he wants would be willing to toil away at some game you'd like to play, without any kind of fund/compensation. After all, at the end of the day you're the ideas guy, the boss, and you'll demand full credit for "your" game.
    Who says that we want full credit? I just want the game done.

In fact, the programmers are practically going to be the most thanked and credited, for taking the time it had taken to actually make the game.

And I do NOT think that it would take a shorter time to create the game (it will take more then 2-5 years to complete.)

But I do agree that some compensation is in order for the time taken to make it. Unfortunately, I can't really provide those kind of funds.

28. Post #28
    October 2009
    1,933 Posts
    hnnnnsfdklsjkhfsklafklsafsak;dfkh;hsfhdkskhlfk

again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Egypt Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    March 2009
    21 Posts
    hnnnnsfdklsjkhfsklafklsafsak;dfkh;hsfhdkskhlfk

again
    Please refrain from posting pointless posts please. If you don't like this thread, then why did you click on it? And spend your time posting. the only time you're wasting by not posting anything helpful, is your own.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

30. Post #30
    October 2009
    1,933 Posts
    Please refrain from posting pointless posts please. If you don't like this thread, then why did you click on it? And spend your time posting. the only time you're wasting by not posting anything helpful, is your own.
    I clicked the link because I thought someone had already made something really cool, and I was willing to check it out.

You know, because this is a programming forum, where we show off shit we make. Not a help/requests/hiring/ideas/whatever the fuck this is forum.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Egypt Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    March 2009
    21 Posts
    I'm not even going to respond to your post, refrain from swearing please.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    I genuinely do not think you understand the scale of the project you're suggesting. You're basically asking for a full CAD suite, EDA and electronics simulation, with an entire game built ontop.

Commercial software which does only a fraction of what you want goes for $5,000-10,000 for an individual license.

Your idea isn't practical. Please stop bumping the thread.

Also, nobody would play it. Because if they had the time and patience to build a working automobile in a computer game, chances are they'd actually have more fun building things for real.

You could maybe do it if you were willing to scale it back a bunch. But, as written, it simply isn't going to happen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    March 2009
    21 Posts
    Your idea isn't practical. Please stop bumping the thread.
    It's not me bumping the thread, just look at the times and dates.

Edit: Also, about the CAD suite. Just check out "lego creator", "lego racer", "Lego racer 2" and "Lego designer". Lego has actually implemented a feature similar to TC's idea. Only simpler.

Besides, blender is a free program. And so is yenka for the logics.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    It's not me bumping the thread, just look at the times and dates.
    Only because they're responding to you, and you're obsessively watching and replaying to this thread.

Edit: Also, about the CAD suite. Just check out "lego creator", "lego racer", "Lego racer 2" and "Lego designer". Lego has actually implemented a feature similar to TC's idea. Only simpler.
    The 'only simpler' part is important.

Besides, blender is a free program. And so is yenka for the logics.
    This isn't how software development works. You don't just get to mash a couple of other programs together. Yenka (which I've never even heard of) doesn't even seem to be open-source.

35. Post #35
    June 2010
    1,337 Posts
    Look, no-one is going to work for you unless you offer proper payment. Your only options are to make it yourself, create a Kickstarter and pray for a miracle, or give up. Either learn programming or leave the programming forum alone, because seriously, it takes a lot of self-restraint to not respond to threads like this with angry gifs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    It isn't even the payment that's the biggest deal, since people volunteer for mod teams and little open-source projects all the time. The issue is that he doesn't have any idea how to design a game. Or even how much effort goes into making a game.
    He has to scale back. No amount of funding or manpower will make what he has now work.

37. Post #37
    June 2010
    1,337 Posts
    -snip-

38. Post #38
    March 2009
    21 Posts
    Only because they're responding to you, and you're obsessively watching and replaying to this thread.
    Obsessively? Dude, I subscribed the thread... I get E-mails whenever someone posts, and I respond as soon as I get the notification that I have the E-mail. It does NOT mean that I am bumping a thread. The user who I'm responding to actually bumped the thread.
    The 'only simpler' part is important.
    it still takes time to code, no matter how simple it is.
    This isn't how software development works. You don't just get to mash a couple of other programs together. Yenka (which I've never even heard of) doesn't even seem to be open-source.
    It's only a working example. Don't take it too seriously.

Besides, the programs aren't opensource. And I do not want shortcuts.

39. Post #39
    September 2010
    2,323 Posts
    And I do not want shortcuts.
    ...having someone else build your entire game isn't a shortcut?

We get a new thread like this every few weeks.

You said that this would take multiple years to make.
    Nobody, ever, will give you that much time for free. For any reason.

Go learn to program. Or get some money to pay people who already can.

40. Post #40
    November 2011
    501 Posts
    This thread says "I have an idea. But I'm not willing to devote the time to learn a new skill to make it work, so other people will have to do it for me."

I miss the frog emote.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)