1. Post #1
    If the mods approve of this title they hereby admit that they are all massive faggots
    October 2009
    9,663 Posts
    In-game economies are one of the more fascinating aspects of multiplayer games, and one of the most complex would probably be the space-themed MMO EVE Online. Now, some players are leading an all-out assault on the Jita system, the largest trading hub in the game, in an attempt to destroy EVE’s economy. In response to this existential threat, the game’s developer CCP says: Have at it.

According to Eurogamer, the assault — called Burn Jita — is being led by Alexander Gianturco. Gianturco, who sometimes goes under the name ”The Mittani,” is leading a group called the Goonswarm, named for their affiliation with the Something Awful forums. The group has already amassed a fleet of 14,000 Thrasher destroyers in an attack scheduled to begin tomorrow, though the battle may have begun early.

Sometimes chided for being more like work than play, EVE has built a complex economy and an enormous base of dedicated players that sometimes go so far as to organize themselves into corporations outside the game to reap in-game benefits. Though many games have cooperative aspects, the lengths players go through to be participant in the game’s economy is truly breathtaking.

Speaking to Eurogamer, the game’s lead designer Kristoffer Touborg said that this kind of enormous player-generated event is what makes EVE unique, and as such, should be allowed to happen:

“It’s what makes Eve a really good game,” he said. “Do you want to play a 15 minute match of Call of Duty that you won’t remember the next day, or do you want to spend four months manufacturing 14,000 Thrashers to do this? It’s just so big and awesome.”
    Touborg went on to say that the assault might be good for the game’s economy, where many well-off players will lose a hefty chunk of their buying power and be forced to start again.

Interestingly, the EVE wiki seems to indicate that Jita became the game’s largest trading hub through emergent play and was not designated by the developers. In that light, it seems fitting that player-generated economic boom be threatened by player-generated economic bust.

Unfortunately, this interesting exercise in virtual economies has a darker side. Prior to his attempt to destroy the existing EVE economy, Gianturco made waves in the EVE community for encouraging a depressed player to commit suicide, and for others to join in. This sparked understandable outrage, and eventually led to Gianturco being banned from the game for 30 days — the end of which is noticeably tied to the beginning of the Burn Jita assault.

SOURCE

Alt sources:
    http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/eve-online/1223912p1.html
    http://www.shacknews.com/article/735...economy-attack
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-ing-brilliant
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 175Funny Funny x 9Agree Agree x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,691 Posts
    You just gotta love Goonswarm and it's shenenigans.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 60Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    7,169 Posts
    14,000 Thrasher destroyers
    14,000 destroyers
    holy fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 146Funny Funny x 6 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,054 Posts
    I've never played EVE. What does Jita look like? IS IT FANCY?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 83Agree Agree x 15 (list)

5. Post #5
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,101 Posts
    So they are pretty going to snapshot the server, let it self-destruct, then fall back on the snapshot a few days later?

This totally sounds fucking awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 50Disagree Disagree x 4Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    9,953 Posts
    Gianturco made waves in the EVE community for encouraging a depressed player to commit suicide, and for others to join in. This sparked understandable outrage, and eventually led to Gianturco being banned from the game for 30 days — the end of which is noticeably tied to the beginning of the Burn Jita assault.
    All respect diminished in an instant.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 276Disagree Disagree x 9Funny Funny x 3 (list)

7. Post #7
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,973 Posts
    Sounds like fun. I wonder if anyone will oppose them to try and save their economy...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    December 2009
    166 Posts
    I fucking love Goonswarm and their antics
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,973 Posts
    Wow, that guy's a right cunt...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 87Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    umm, are you kidding me? 30 days alone for that? that guys such a douche, and they should've made it longer, way longer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 71Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    12,791 Posts
    This kind of stuff is always nice to watch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    If the mods approve of this title they hereby admit that they are all massive faggots
    October 2009
    9,663 Posts

Sounds like fun. I wonder if anyone will oppose them to try and save their economy...
    If anyone wanted to, they'd be hopeless. Gianturco has been preparing 4 months for this and their sheer numbers outnumber nearly any organized force out there, so without the time to prepare for a counter-attack, they'd be crushed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 23Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    7,209 Posts
    Scamming people is also legit. CCP just says that you shouldn't be a moron and then you won't be scammed, and it's true too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 57 (list)

14. Post #14
    October 2009
    9,663 Posts
    Scamming people is also legit. CCP just says that you shouldn't be a moron and then you won't be scammed, and it's true too.
    Related:
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/08...-trillion-isk/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 17Agree Agree x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    705 Posts
    someone should record this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 32 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    11,613 Posts
    I've gotten reports from friends inside of EvE that Goonswarm has locked down the Jita Station with 'Kill Everything' in effect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 40Funny Funny x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    11,055 Posts

If anyone wanted to, they'd be hopeless. Gianturco has been preparing 4 months for this and their sheer numbers outnumber nearly any organized force out there, so without the time to prepare for a counter-attack, they'd be crushed.
    couldn't they just, iunno, stash their wealth somewhere, maybe in lots of super cheap ships which would be needed after the burst?

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    7,239 Posts
    Oh wow, fuck.

I take a break from this game for like a week and I miss crazy shit like this.

Fuck Me.

Edited:

I'd take my Tech 2 Rifter in to see how many of the fucks I could kill before getting swarmed, but I installed L4 implants last week and I don't feel like blowing millions of isk for the lulz.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    GOD FUCKING DAMNIT
    September 2005
    1,391 Posts
    holy fuck
    That's over ninethousand.

Anyways: I like such player caused events. It's awesome to see what they are capable of.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 40 (list)

20. Post #20
    August 2009
    4,246 Posts
    I don't play EVE because I can't have fun with it, but this sounds amazing

Edited:

except the guy that encouraged a depressed guy to kill himself
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 23 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,980 Posts
    Goons attacking Jita? This is...nothing new. It does show why I like EvE though, CCP just doesn't give a damn. As long as you're not exploiting glitches, cheating, or being a dick to players outside of the game, you're free to scam, murder, bait and ransom to your heart's content.

It's ok. There's a statue outside the 4/4 dock that people like to shoot at a lot, and there's almost always someone getting ganked.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member

August 2007
    2,992 Posts
    I hope someone takes screenshots of all the destroyers attacking, I'd say that'd be fucking awesome to see.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 34 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    4,489 Posts
    So I'm guessing the main resistance isngoing to be that npc police force?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    12,791 Posts
    Just a question, what is Gianturco and Goonswarm? A player and a guild respectively?

This sounds like real world confrontations like NK and SK. Fun! I used to love these sorts of fights in MMOs made of guild vs guild and so on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

25. Post #25

March 2011
    402 Posts
    I somehow find that image disappointing. Maybe I was expecting more evident traffic or something. :V
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Philippines Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    7,239 Posts
    Just a question, what is Gianturco and Goonswarm? A player and a guild respectively?

This sounds like real world confrontations like NK and SK. Fun! I used to love these sorts of fights in MMOs made of guild vs guild and so on.
    Gianturco is an asshat that got banned fo0r a month because he was an asshole.

Now he's gotten Goonswarm, who are a rather large Null-Sec Alliance(the terminology gets worse from here on in, grab a glossary) that own their own swath of space to back him up in his Crusade. Other null-sec alliances and pretty much everyone for that matter despise them all because the corporations in Goonswarm are composed of mostly trolls and assholes.

Hope that was descriptive enough.

Edited:

I somehow find that image disappointing. Maybe I was expecting more evident traffic or something. :V
    No sense of scale, that station is about a hundred kilometers wide. and your tiny little meters-long starship...?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 16Informative Informative x 4Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    August 2011
    501 Posts

Gianturco is the person all 14 year old Goonswarmers look up to, a self-righteous dick who tried to bully someone into killing themselves. He's the leader of Goonswarm, one of the largest and most powerful corporations (read: guilds) in EVE. They're well known for acts of amazing dickiness and they've tried to crash the EVE economy and so this is nothing really new, if anything it's getting a bit stale.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 11Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    July 2008
    2,485 Posts
    The only things burning will be the burning wrecks of goons after they get concorded, and ccp fucked the economy long before the Burn Jita campaign.

I wouldn't be surprised that this backfires and some other nullsec alliance takes the fight to goon turf.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    5,189 Posts

Yep. Gianturco is the giant douche leader, and Goonswarm is his army of sweaty basement dwellers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    11,613 Posts

[URL]
    The Swarm. They take ships such as the T1 Cruiser[noob ship] and take down Titans. One of the most expensive/hard produce ships in the game...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 68Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    July 2008
    2,485 Posts
    If you need

The Swarm. They take ships such as the T1 Cruiser[noob ship] and take down Titans. One of the most expensive/hard produce ships in the games...
    The only reason they blob is because they can't get anything done without assembling hordes of mindless followers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    15,081 Posts
    It's not taken under the normal conditions.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    7,264 Posts
    Eve, while being too close to playing with Microsoft Excel for my liking, seems really fun in the right hands, especially seeing as you're at risk a lot of the time.
    Love how the developers encourage this kind of thing and allow scamming:
    http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Scams_in_Eve
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    13,128 Posts

They make grownup people cry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 31 (list)

35. Post #35
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    17,666 Posts
    they should also destroy tf2's economy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Show Events Agree Agree x 74Funny Funny x 18Disagree Disagree x 4Late Late x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    Gianturco is an asshat that got banned fo0r a month because he was an asshole.

Now he's gotten Goonswarm, who are a rather large Null-Sec Alliance(the terminology gets worse from here on in, grab a glossary) that own their own swath of space to back him up in his Crusade. Other null-sec alliances and pretty much everyone for that matter despise them all because the corporations in Goonswarm are composed of mostly trolls and assholes.

Hope that was descriptive enough.
    Why am I not surprised that it's just a bunch of hardasses who got their panties in a twist because their "oh so glorious leader" got what was rightfully coming at him for being a douchenozzle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 19Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    15,081 Posts
    I don't see how they can 'destroy' the economy. I mean, industrial players who don't base in Jita must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Ships got to be made somewhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 21 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    8,239 Posts
    jesus christ i was there yesterday
    it was a clusterfuck

you know you're fucked when the largest player corp in a game is a loose alliance of chaotic neutral SA goons
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 30 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    9,215 Posts
    someone should record this
    http://www.twitch.tv/daopa

There ya go mentlegen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

40. Post #40
    My FaVoRiTe CoLoR <3
    August 2006
    3,921 Posts
    [URL]
    The Swarm. They take ships such as the T1 Cruiser[noob ship] and take down Titans. One of the most expensive/hard produce ships in the game...
    Wow, never played EVE, but that's just depressing.

For the Titan and the player's killing it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 45Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)