1. Post #81
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,788 Posts
    Would be a good time to take over some goon turf wouldn't it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #82
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,520 Posts
    This is cool, I tend to get bored of MMOs easily but if events like this were taking place every couple of months it would be awesome to witness. Not necessarily on the same scale.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

3. Post #83
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    14,321 Posts
    Those kinds of things are what I'd love to be apart of when it came to EVE, but I feel that if I started playing it again I'd end up doing what I did last time: mundane missions in a dingy little ship. Also, that god damn perpetual motion device had me running zooming all over space wondering what the hell I had to do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #84
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,514 Posts
    Man, everything from EvE just sounds fucking awesome. I thought of trying to get into it but I feel like I'll be late to the party and get raped in outer space.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 24 (list)

5. Post #85
    I'd buy that for a dollar
    Dennab
    September 2008
    5,876 Posts
    Man, everything from EvE just sounds fucking awesome. I thought of trying to get into it but I feel like I'll be late to the party and get raped in outer space.

I tried it, but I just can't get into the combat style. I like space games like freelancer.

But I was reading up on those titans...
    They seriously cost over 1000 fucking dollars?!

Edited:

Oh wait, yeah around 7 thousand. That's just fucking insane.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 19 (list)

6. Post #86
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    5,574 Posts
    This is like hulkageddon.

Goonswarm buyin up a shitload of minerals and then killing all mining ships for a week so the prices go up.
    Then they sell their minerals and get filthy rich.

7. Post #87
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    This is like hulkageddon.

Goonswarm buyin up a shitload of minerals and then killing all mining ships for a week so the prices go up.
    Then they sell their minerals and get filthy rich.
    And every sane person just played along and also got filthy rich, instead of losing their mining barge.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

8. Post #88
    March 2012
    1,701 Posts
    Well hope there's a video of it when it comes, gonna be awesome. I only played the trial.

9. Post #89
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    14,992 Posts
    Do you want to play a 15 minute match of Call of Duty that you won’t remember the next day, or do you want to spend four months manufacturing 14,000 Thrashers to do this?

Um sorry I think I'll take the 15 minute match.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 25Agree Agree x 14Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

10. Post #90
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    4,008 Posts
    This is true cyber terrorism. I wish I could be in the game to see it happen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

11. Post #91
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,871 Posts
    So they are pretty going to snapshot the server, let it self-destruct, then fall back on the snapshot a few days later?

This totally sounds fucking awesome.
    No, This falls perfectly into what they're going to do with the Inferno Expansion. This is War, and everything that is being destroyed right now needs to be replaced by the Industrialists.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #92
    Secure, Contain, Protect.
    October 2008
    8,011 Posts
    All respect diminished in an instant.
    That's a really inflammatory view of the situation. The player that Mittani insulted was not "depressed" at the time, in fact, the player said that he didn't even remember Mittani and that he didn't care what Mittani thought, Mittani was also drunk when he committed the act as well.

When Mittani was on the flight home, he realized what he had done and profusefly apologized to the player both in-game (gave the player all of his in-game currency, a sum which I imagine would hover in the hundreds of billions if not trillions of ISK, and a shit-ton of objects as well.), and in real life. Mittani also resigned from his elected position as Chairman of the Council of Stellar Management (after winning the election by a record number of votes, somewhere in the 10,000+ region).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 36Agree Agree x 3 (list)

13. Post #93
    Glod Menber
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,249 Posts
    All respect diminished in an instant.
    why do people tell others to kill themselves

that's just rude

nevermind not funny anymore because of new avatar
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 14 (list)

14. Post #94
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,832 Posts
    Oh god what if goonswarm like, turned into this big evil badass empire in the game eventually

Then a group of good guys teammed up stop them once and for all

Then there'd be the super battles between the swarm and actual legit good players/tacticians, with various war strategies and everything

Would be so fucking bad-ass. I'd totally get in on that if it wasn't for the fact that EVE is bascially a visual representation of an excel spreadsheet.

Edited:

I tried it, but I just can't get into the combat style. I like space games like freelancer.

But I was reading up on those titans...
    They seriously cost over 1000 fucking dollars?!

Edited:

Oh wait, yeah around 7 thousand. That's just fucking insane.
    Yeah how the fuck do you even make a Titan? You actually have to buy one?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #95
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    3,173 Posts
    Oh god what if goonswarm like, turned into this big evil badass empire in the game eventually

Then a group of good guys teammed up stop them once and for all

Then there'd be the super battles between the swarm and actual legit good players/tacticians, with various war strategies and everything
    this exactly happened

google Goonswarm vs. BoB, it's an epic yarn.

Basically, Goonswarm collapsed Band of Brother's giant in-game empire with metagaming spy tactics, where they acquired corporation passwords (via a BoB defector) which allowed them to shut down BoB's entire defensive infrastructure across dozens of star systems. Later, they trapped most of BoB's fleet in a single NPC station, to which they laid a month-long siege. Goonswarm lost most pitched battles, but as in any conflict in EVE, the winner is determined by whoever is having the most fun, and Goonswarm's nature of camaraderie and suicide attacks allowed them to prevail. Before BoB's ultimate collapse, they were resorting to "red pen operations" where every player was required to participate in attacks, and any player who didn't show up was kicked out of the alliance.

Over the years, Goonswarm has lost power and prominence with the decline of Something Awful. They're still an everpresent force in Eve politics, but they're mostly just space dicks now. They lost the bulk of their organization when their CEO resigned and took half the alliance's assets with him sometime last year.

It's complicated. You need a player-owned station with a capital ship construction array, and a gigantic industrial base with many dozens of miner/manufacturing players. There are corporations in-game that are basically contractors who specialize in capital ship construction.

And that's just to build it.

To actually fully operate a titan, you need to drop billions on fuel, you need a good pilot (fully mastering Titan piloting skills take roughly a year,) and you need fleets to support the titan and you need fleets that the titan will be supporting.

They aren't even cost-effective in battle. Their value comes entirely from their ability to teleport and support fleets.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 17Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #96
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    I think the "thousands of dollars" pricetag is if you wanted to buy one from someone. If you actually build one it costs a ton in game, and at least eight weeks in real life to build.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

17. Post #97
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,832 Posts
    this exactly happened

google Goonswarm vs. BoB, it's an epic yarn.

Basically, Goonswarm collapsed Band of Brother's giant in-game empire with metagaming spy tactics, where they acquired corporation passwords (via a BoB defector) which allowed them to shut down BoB's entire defensive infrastructure across dozens of star systems. Later, they trapped most of BoB's fleet in a single NPC station, to which they laid a month-long siege. Goonswarm lost most pitched battles, but as in any conflict in EVE, the winner is determined by whoever is having the most fun, and Goonswarm's nature of camaraderie and suicide attacks allowed them to prevail. Before BoB's ultimate collapse, they were resorting to "red-pen" operations where every player was required to participate in attacks, and any player who didn't show up was kicked out of the alliance.

It's complicated. You need a player-owned station with a capital ship construction array, and a gigantic industrial base with many dozens of miner/manufacturing players. There are corporations in-game that are basically contractors who specialize in capital ship construction.
    Goddamn this is fucking awesome

arrrhghhhh

Why is eve basically the dwarf fortress of mmo's
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

18. Post #98
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2008
    11,747 Posts
    Didn't CCP base the 'Causality' Trailer on the BoB/Goonswarm affairs?

[URL]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 8Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #99
    taste the salty dong
    September 2009
    1,822 Posts
    Whats even more funny is you sitting there in a Thrasher of your own, podding the goons who get killed by CONCORD.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

20. Post #100
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,594 Posts
    Wow. I've never played EVE but this livestream I'm watching. Jesus. That station's fucked.

21. Post #101
    November 2008
    862 Posts
    Wow. I've never played EVE but this livestream I'm watching. Jesus. That station's fucked.
    Link?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

22. Post #102
    Connoisseur of Maple Syrup, Guns, and Sex Toys
    Dennab
    August 2008
    5,053 Posts
    I've never played EVE. What does Jita look like? IS IT FANCY?
    Imagine all of the lag you've ever had ever. Put it all together into one massive lump of lag. Hit it with a hammer a few times, stuff it down your throat, and try to swallow.

That's Jita.

Edited:

couldn't they just, iunno, stash their wealth somewhere, maybe in lots of super cheap ships which would be needed after the burst?
    They could just log off or not undock but the thing is no one will be expecting this. A LOT of EvE Traders fly very large very slow freighter ships and go afk on their long ass journeys to and from Jita. That is most likely what Goonswarm will be targeting, fat cat freighters filled with billions of ISK worth of shit.

Also rich faggots in super expensive but ultimately useless shiny versions of other ships "Faction Ships" that cost 20 times the regular ship for 1 extra weapon slot.

Edited:

Just a question, what is Gianturco and Goonswarm? A player and a guild respectively?

This sounds like real world confrontations like NK and SK. Fun! I used to love these sorts of fights in MMOs made of guild vs guild and so on.
    Gianturco is a Corporation (A guild, clan, etc). Goonswarm is the Alliance created by GoonWaffe which was started by SA members.

There are hundreds and hundreds of corporations in Goonswarm and IIRC they have like 2000-3000 players in their alliance and are the largest force in the game.

Edited:

[URL]

The Swarm. They take ships such as the T1 Cruiser[noob ship] and take down Titans. One of the most expensive/hard produce ships in the game...
    I was playing when this happened. Was not in Goonswarm at the time but I was not far from them.

Not only was this the first ever Titan kill in game but it was also THE FIRST Titan to ever be produced. That was a glorious day. Brings back amazing memories.

Edited:

The only reason they blob is because they can't get anything done without assembling hordes of mindless followers.
    Actually not true at all. I've flown with Goonswarm a lot in the past and they actually have some pretty competent leadership. Their 'blobs' are mostly for fun but they have extremely strict guidelines and skillsets for actual fleet pilots.

23. Post #103
    Secure, Contain, Protect.
    October 2008
    8,011 Posts

That's what the outside of Jita IV-IV looks like on a slow day during primetime.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

24. Post #104
    October 2009
    301 Posts
    I've been popping in on this one every now and then.

http://www.twitch.tv/daopa

Also, if anyone would like to shoot me a 21 day free trial, I'd really appreciate it. This looks like something I'd like to try and if I could try it for another week for free before deciding that'd be awesome. I feel like this could be my last summer free-time killer before I'm off to college.

25. Post #105
    Connoisseur of Maple Syrup, Guns, and Sex Toys
    Dennab
    August 2008
    5,053 Posts
    it's like if sixteen thousand thugs with guns stood outside the national bank of america and shot anyone entering or leaving, and the cops weren't allowed to arrest them until they shot somebody
    Except the cops shoot and kill the thug and in about 15 minutes the thug comes back and continues.

Edited:

Would be a good time to take over some goon turf wouldn't it?
    Not really.

Every single goon pilot has a 'Jump Clone' installed in their main base in their own territory. All they'd have to do is dock at a station and clone jump back home and they're good to go.

Also "Taking territory" is a very long process that requires a lot of capitol investment. It's not something you can just waltz in and go "Yeah this is mine now k"

26. Post #106
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,745 Posts
    I somehow find that image disappointing. Maybe I was expecting more evident traffic or something. :V
    that station makes some moons look small
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #107
    Dennab
    December 2011
    5,623 Posts
    Oh wow, fuck.

I take a break from this game for like a week and I miss crazy shit like this.

Fuck Me.

Edited:

I'd take my Tech 2 Rifter in to see how many of the fucks I could kill before getting swarmed, but I installed L4 implants last week and I don't feel like blowing millions of isk for the lulz.
    Last time I heard there were 2100 people in Jita and Time Dilation was in effect to the point it took freighters like 20 minutes to get into warp.

The Goons are actually smashing everything in Jita so hard, YET PEOPLE STILL UNDOCK FREIGHTERS, IT'S SO RETARDED.

28. Post #108
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2008
    11,747 Posts
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/04/28/no...tic-trade-hub/

PC Gamer article regarding the attacks.
    I'm starting to understand why CCP is somewhat supporting this. Not only would not supporting it go against their game model, but the amount of publicity this is generating is insane.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

29. Post #109
    [B][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacos"]Tacos![/URL][/B]
    April 2008
    5,450 Posts
    Am I mistaken or hasn't something like this happened before? Perhaps for a different game, where thousands of players teamed up against a specific target. It was all over the internet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #110
    Will they just endlessly assault the base or do their ships not regenerate? Will the assault just end the minute they lose all their ships?

31. Post #111
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    January 2009
    21,473 Posts
    Sounds like fun. I wonder if anyone will oppose them to try and save their economy...
    space obana
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Czech Republic Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

32. Post #112
    Dennab
    December 2011
    5,623 Posts
    Will they just endlessly assault the base or do their ships not regenerate? Will the assault just end the minute they lose all their ships?
    As far as I heard they have around 20,000 ships total, so they can just keep throwing them into the meat grinder for days just blasting shit apart.

33. Post #113
    ASK ME ABOUT MY SAM 6420 FETISH
    July 2011
    691 Posts
    It's been awhile since I played eve, but didn't the OP say they made 14k Thrashers? (I think the thrashers are really cheap ships)
    When they die they'll be able to fly in a pod back to a station, which they probably have a shit ton of them ready to jump in and they'll just fly back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #114
    Dennab
    December 2011
    5,623 Posts
    Not sure if these numbers are correct but it's from a few goon sources that were on Reddit.

They have 14,000 Tornado Battlecruisers and 100,000+ Thrashers, if that's true then they could literally keep this up for weeks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Professional x64 Europe Show Events Funny Funny x 19Winner Winner x 5 (list)

35. Post #115
    ice cream and pussy
    March 2005
    2,013 Posts
    http://eve-live.com/quote/146710122

you are here because some fuckin twat called mittani thinks he is god.. wait til next fanfest mittani.. i am gona stab you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 32 (list)

36. Post #116
    Dennab
    December 2011
    5,623 Posts
    First death threat of Burn Jita! Huzzah!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Professional x64 Europe Show Events Funny Funny x 4Winner Winner x 2 (list)

37. Post #117
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    20,285 Posts
    Jita is basically the heart of the Economic circulatory system, and Goonswarm is basically Anonymous/4Chan

Do the math
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #118
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    110 Posts
    naw, loads of people will help you, if you want I can give you a free 21 day trial and some starting money

and you can't kill stations, they have infinite HP and even then, the npc police will rape you real fast
    I'd love someone to help me out, it's rather difficult to get in to when you're at alone and have little to no friends playing it.

39. Post #119
    Dennab
    December 2011
    5,623 Posts
    Jita is basically the heart of the Economic circulatory system, and Goonswarm is basically Anonymous/4Chan

Do the math
    Actually that's wrong, the Goonswarm are from Something Awful, 4chan if I remember correctly is the League of Internet Spaceships, but I'm not sure about that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Professional x64 Europe Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #120
    Valor
    September 2008
    19,519 Posts
    I'm gonna resub to this game (After my 30 days of doing NOTHING ) but not sure if to wait this incident out first or not.