1. Post #1
    July 2011
    36 Posts
    Hi, and currently i'm working on a Team Fortress 2 map.

The map is a trade/event map. You can trade in general there, and when people donate items to the server. The server will start a event of the donaters wish.

So that's some background information, but the reason I made this thread, were because I thought that it would be funny to let you guys make your own events.
    You can simply make any kind of event you want, within these rules of construction.

#1. Don't fill up half the map.
    #2. Make a panel that contains: A start button and a end button. + every button for the things to work, which is something that should be manipulated with by the admins.
    #3. Do not need any special items to participate in the event.
    #4. Alot of enjoyment

How the event is gonna look is 100 % up to you. You can even make your own textures.
    Basically you can create anything you want. (within the rules of being an event ofc d:)

You might also be thinking: "What do I gain from doing this? Is he just trying to use me for his own good?". You will be credited in any way you want, for what you've created ofc. I will personally create a credit room where every creator will be credited for all their hard work.

If you want to join in, post something below and tell me what you wanna create :)

Here's some pictures for what i've made so far.

A small fortress in the warzone:

The whole warzone so far:

Teleportation room, I will take care of this place :)

Spawn, gonna change some things on it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    September 2010
    2,997 Posts
    How long did it take you to make that map?

3. Post #3
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    Please add some light!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Useful Useful x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    July 2011
    36 Posts
    Didn't take that long time making this, just wanted something simple to start off with. I'm also gonna add light later. Aswell as other people can do stuff too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Facepunch Resident Alcoholic!
    July 2007
    7,842 Posts
    Your texture alignment is just terrible, do you even grasp the basic concept of mapping?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    Didn't take that long time making, just wanted something simple to start off with. I'm also gonna add light lator, aswell as other people can add light to it. Which i'm gonna adapt to :)
    It looks ugly. If you want to show off a map with it's own thread, it needs to be a certain level. IE, lighting, texture alignment, props, texture variation per brush.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Useful Useful x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    July 2011
    36 Posts
    Your texture alignment is just terrible, do you even grasp the basic concept of mapping?
    If you're gonna criticize my work, let it be constructive. Like IronPhoenix did in the post above. I can actually use that to improve what i've made. Don't post if it's just to tell me it looks terrible.

Also I did not post this to show off my mapping skills, it's for creating a huge trade/event map. Only with the point of letting mappers be creative and the users being glad. Either way it's a fun project.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 8Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

8. Post #8
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    If you're gonna criticize my work, let it be constructive. Like IronPhoenix did in the post above. I can actually use that to improve what i've made. Don't post if it's just to tell me it looks terrible.
    Well...it is terrible.

I can see lines on the textures where they don't align. Thus, it's terrible and is a description of what you need to do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    J!m
    I Love Big Gay Dragons
    June 2009
    1,406 Posts
    eh, i have seen worse
    but it's not that far away
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    July 2011
    36 Posts
    Well...it is terrible.

I can see lines on the textures where they don't align. Thus, it's terrible and is a description of what you need to do.
    Am trying to improve too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    eh, i have seen worse
    but it's not that far away
    True...that texture misalignment in the dwarven district is really annoying me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Level Design Portfolio
    November 2009
    2,040 Posts
    Squidward be mad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    July 2011
    36 Posts
    Stop the hating :| Start loving.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,414 Posts
    Stop the hating :| Start loving.
    Your map clearly needs work. The brushwork is quite bland, and the obvious lack of lighting doesn't help much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

15. Post #15
    July 2011
    36 Posts
    Your map clearly needs work. The brushwork is quite bland, and the obvious lack of lighting doesn't help much.
    Please don't state the obvious. I think everybody knows that by now.

PS. I did add light by now :) Still testing different styles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,581 Posts
    It also looks like you've gone for the "slap-a-sky-box-around-the-entire-map" approach. Which is not good at all. Also, the textures need work, since the alignment is really bad, and the brushwork is awful. It needs more detail, especially the bridge in the middle.

In short, it needs a lot of work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    You also need to look at texture use. I see a hl2 ceiling and a hl2 decal there, and they look odd on the tf2 textures.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #18
    July 2011
    36 Posts
    I will now update the information. What you see in my screenshots, is not how the map looks atm (textures, light added and etc.) I will soon post new screenshots but as of the moment I do not have necessarily much time to spend on the map, since i'm in the middle of all my exams atm. Things you are posting to correct the map has already mostly ben corrected. You do not need to inform me about it anymore untill the new screenshots are posted. When i've posted them you can happily start helping both me improve and the map :)

19. Post #19
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,201 Posts
    We honestly don't need anotyher trade ma p
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    March 2010
    1,055 Posts
    We honestly don't need anotyher trade ma p
    Hey, don't be hating on it just beacause it's a trading map. I finally went on TF2 again after months of not playing, and noticed the same trading maps being used, and it's been like that for a year. It would be nice to see something new and unique, because it's all the same map on like every server, save for some which actually DON'T use trade_plaza.

21. Post #21
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    I will now update the information. What you see in my screenshots, is not how the map looks atm (textures, light added and etc.) I will soon post new screenshots but as of the moment I do not have necessarily much time to spend on the map, since i'm in the middle of all my exams atm. Things you are posting to correct the map has already mostly ben corrected. You do not need to inform me about it anymore untill the new screenshots are posted. When i've posted them you can happily start helping both me improve and the map :)
    Here is a little idea. Don't start making a map if you can't spend time on it.

22. Post #22
    March 2010
    1,055 Posts
    Here is a little idea. Don't start making a map if you can't spend time on it.
    I disagree. He wants to get into mapping. He probably started before his exams and when he had more time. Real life always gets in the way of things. Let him do what he wants, it's not affecting you. The more he maps, however little, he's practicing and getting better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    I disagree. He wants to get into mapping. He probably started before his exams and when he had more time. Real life always gets in the way of things. Let him do what he wants, it's not affecting you. The more he maps, however little, he's practicing and getting better.
    Well yes, but you have to admit that the more time that can be spent on a map, when you release an image, it looks like you have spent the time on it. Rather than the above images where the map is in fullbright, and have very very obvious flaws.

24. Post #24
    March 2010
    1,055 Posts
    Well yes, but you have to admit that the more time that can be spent on a map, when you release an image, it looks like you have spent the time on it. Rather than the above images where the map is in fullbright, and have very very obvious flaws.
    That is very true. He should put more work into his map before posting screens. Development screens aren't wrong, but in THAT early of a stage, it's not necessary. Doesn't mean he shouldn't still work on the map though...

25. Post #25
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,201 Posts
    If it wasn't for development screenshots, I'd be fucked.

26. Post #26
    July 2011
    36 Posts
    Hey, don't be hating on it just beacause it's a trading map. I finally went on TF2 again after months of not playing, and noticed the same trading maps being used, and it's been like that for a year. It would be nice to see something new and unique, because it's all the same map on like every server, save for some which actually DON'T use trade_plaza.
    That's the reason I started to make one. I became tired of the same, and figured I could be a little productive instead and start a project. And IronPhoenix, are you here to try discuss with people or here to actually try helping the map? At first you were helping, but now i'm starting to see that you are being more negative about things. It ticks me off a bit. You also seem to be a bit impatient, it's not like I can change the fact that i'm in the middle of all my exams. But i'm still using my leftover time for trying to improve the map.

So

(User was banned for this post ("Image macro" - postal))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    397 Posts
    That's the reason I started to make one. I became tired of the same, and figured I could be a little productive instead and start a project. And IronPhoenix, are you here to try discuss with people or here to actually try helping the map? At first you were helping, but now i'm starting to see that you are being more negative about things. It ticks me off a bit. You also seem to be a bit impatient, it's not like I can change the fact that i'm in the middle of all my exams. But i'm still using my leftover time for trying to improve the map.

So
    (Image Macro)
    Using Images to say something you could type yourself is dumb. I believe they're right about not needing another Trading map though, we have more than enough.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    Using Images to say something you could type yourself is dumb. I believe they're right about not needing another Trading map though, we have more than enough.
    It's also a bannable offense.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,201 Posts

So
    Get out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    July 2011
    36 Posts
    Get out.
    Why should I get out? I want a reason.

31. Post #31
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,201 Posts
    Because you're a terrible poster who refuses to listen to help and argues for no reason.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    July 2011
    36 Posts
    Because you're a terrible poster who refuses to listen to help and argues for no reason.
    I do listen to help. And i'm not the one who's arguing. And how can you be a terrible poster? Are there some kind of a I need 1k posts to fit into society? That's absurd.

Are you refering to that I pin pointed a person being negative? If you see that as arguing, you don't have a clue of what you're talking about.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    704 Posts
    The reason why he called you a bad poster is for one, you used a image that said deal with it. people look down at that kind of stuff in facepunch. also your map feels empty.

34. Post #34
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,201 Posts
    The problem isn't that you only have 29 posts.

The problem is that you have 29 awful posts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    August 2011
    591 Posts
    Why should I get out? I want a reason.
    If you don't one people to hate you, there's one very very important rule here on Facepunch. If you post some content, let people say whatever they want to. If you can't take that don't post, because people will, and when you do DO NOT say anything negative about it. People don't like it when you're being rude, or immature for that matter, when people are simply speaking their mind. Beside, whether or not they're rude, what they say is often true and they often do leave something constructive for you. Take this

"Your texture alignment is just terrible, do you even grasp the basic concept of mapping?"

Instead of getting all defensive and shit, simply take it as "You need to work on texture alignment". Sure, it may be rude, but it's true, and you need to fix that.

Follow that rule and you'll be just fine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    If you don't one people to hate you, there's one very very important rule here on Facepunch. If you post some content, let people say whatever they want to. If you can't take that don't post, because people will, and when you do DO NOT say anything negative about it. People don't like it when you're being rude, or immature for that matter, when people are simply speaking their mind. Beside, whether or not they're rude, what they say is often true and they often do leave something constructive for you. Take this

"Your texture alignment is just terrible, do you even grasp the basic concept of mapping?"

Instead of getting all defensive and shit, simply take it as "You need to work on texture alignment". Sure, it may be rude, but it's true, and you need to fix that.

Also go further than that....when someone says "add lighting" do that, and then show images of the map with lighting, fixed texture alignment and props...show that you are willing to take feedback onboard.

37. Post #37
    July 2011
    36 Posts
    The reason why he called you a bad poster is for one, you used a image that said deal with it. people look down at that kind of stuff in facepunch. also your map feels empty.
    You look down on people who puts a image in a post. That's ridiculous, people should be able to handle a small joke. If the people can't take a silly joke, then there went something wrong in their childhood. Or atleast they have no humor.

Oh btw, I should have told this before. Gtfo of this thread if you are here to reply non related things, which aint in my matter of opinion somehow related to what I wanted to do with the thread. Like this reply from TBC "We honestly don't need anotyher trade ma p" We might not need another trade map, but that doesn't take the fact away that I want to create one.

I won't even consider replying to non related stuff now. So don't even bother posting.

Things i want to hear should be:
    Productive criticism.
    People who wants to join in.
    Ideas for the map.
    Or something that I can actually use. No need for repeating saying the alignment is bad as a example. If someone posted something, don't repost what he said. Say things beside from what he/she wrote.

38. Post #38
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    You look down on people who puts a image in a post. That's ridiculous, people should be able to handle a small joke. If the people can't take a silly joke, then there went something wrong in their childhood. Or atleast they have no humor.

Oh btw, I should have told this before. Gtfo of this thread if you are here to reply non related things, which aint in my matter of opinion somehow related to what I wanted to do with the thread. Like this reply from TBC "We honestly don't need anotyher trade ma p" We might not need another trade map, but that doesn't take the fact away that I want to create one.

I won't even consider replying to non related stuff now. So don't even bother posting.

Productive criticism.
    Ideas for the map.
    Or something that I can actually use. No need for repeating saying the alignment is bad as a example. If someone posted something, don't repost what he said. Say things beside from what he/she wrote.
    Image macro's are against the forum rules. It isn't a matter of looking down on those that use them, but mods will ban people who use them.

39. Post #39
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,201 Posts
    Hope you guys are ready for another one of my post dissections.

It's dumb and against the rules. The joke itself is generic and stupid.

The fuck did you just call me.

Yet when we say this to you, you cry and continue to post dumb shit.

Productive criticism.
    Ideas for the map.
    Or something that I can actually use. No need for repeating saying the alignment is bad as a example.
    We're not going to post how you tell us to, we work in our own way.

If someone posted something, don't repost what he said. Say things beside from what he/she wrote.
    It emphasizes it as one of the main issues. Which it is.

Edited:

point is, you're a fuckhead

(User was banned for this post ("Flaming" - postal))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    July 2011
    36 Posts

Best reply i've had on the whole forum.

Edited:

Hope you guys are ready for another one of my post dissections.

It's dumb and against the rules. The joke itself is generic and stupid.

The fuck did you just call me.

Yet when we say this to you, you cry and continue to post dumb shit.

We're not going to post how you tell us to, we work in our own way.

It emphasizes it as one of the main issues. Which it is.

Edited:

point is, you're a fuckhead
    Banable offense.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)