1. Post #1
    Yanukovich Style
    Dennab
    January 2008
    2,888 Posts
    Hey, I am just a beginner and I was wondering can you suggest me some good low engine car as my first?
    It should be around 1.0 - 1.2 Engine. Cheap to fix if it breaks, and in general be reliable.

Also I was wondering what is the lowest engine mitsubishi cars have? I heard Mitsubishi Colt is 1.3L , but is there lower?

Edited:

btw I have about 20 days to decide what car I want, then I am buying around 20th-ish of may.

2. Post #2
    Dennab
    July 2009
    7,650 Posts
    Christ, just get a scooter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    MasterDragon
    May 2009
    6,649 Posts
    You'll probably pay for the car twice just in repairs, Mitsus are god awful from what i've heard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    710 Posts
    If you're in the UK then a Colt is your best bet for a Mitsubishi. No, they didn't make a smaller engine than the 1.3, and there weren't any smaller-engined Mitsus sold here.
    UK Mitsubishis are Japanese-made (i.e. not cheap DSM rubbish made in Mexico), so they're supremely reliable. However, as with any car manufacturer, main dealer prices are GOD AWFUL in the UK - learn to service it yourself.

If you're set on a 1.0 or 1.2 runabout for a first car then I'd suggest avoiding anything French (Renault, Citroen, Peugeot) because they're legendarily flimsy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    May 2009
    2,874 Posts
    A Vw Polo if you are from europe
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    Yanukovich Style
    Dennab
    January 2008
    2,888 Posts
    Yeah I am in Ireland, and I have to have a low engine car as my first that's the law basically, well not the law but for 1.1 - 1.2 insurance will be around 2000-2500 euro. While for 1.4-1.6 it will be like 4000

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,054 Posts
    We have two Mitsubishi's, one Lancer, one Endeavor.
    They're both mechanically sound, the only problem is with the Lancer the rear speakers stopped working. Probably the head unit itself.

On the Endeavor, my uncle broke the power seats and blew the stock subwoofer.
    I feel bad for the Endeavor, my brother probably has never changed the oil.

8. Post #8
    Dennab
    July 2009
    7,650 Posts
    My old mighty max truck was pretty goddamn durable. It sat in a field for 17 of the 21 years it's been alive, and didn't have a single speck of rust on it. It was also sitting with the head off (the original owner never changed the oil, so it blew out the rings from over heating), and after some thorough scrubbing and slight grinding, the engine freed up, we put the head on, and it fired up. Of course, it was like crop-dusting as the oil just went right past the pistons and right out the exhaust. God i miss that truck :(:

Edited:

Also the engine, however shitty it was, was pretty common. Me and my dad got a free, complete engine and FI computer.

9. Post #9
    March 2007
    499 Posts
    Wtf!! i've never seen anything lower then the civic 1.6L lol Get a Tiburon i pay $75 a month for it great first time car
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,054 Posts
    He doesn't live in the US/Canada
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    5,665 Posts
    nissan sunny/pulsar

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    2 Posts
    Dont Even Bother with that junk... i am a mechanic and Mitsubishi /dodge colt is a pos... i would go for a 1989+ geo metro with 3cyl that makes 50hp (very slow) but will get u anywhere and gets 50mpg or the same car with the 1.3 4cyl that gets also good gas millage.
    not my choice of a car i know several people killed in them. but there big go carts with no protection... but i 100% recommend a mid to late 90's Toyota corolla they will give u a good bang for the buck for what u pay and expect plenty of miles out of em i have owned 2 of em but i like my gas guzzler V8's and trucks more though mainly because i can afford it. wouldn't be caught dead in an economy car if i have money to enjoy something much bigger and useful. Eco cars are great for beating around town and saving gas and fixing them up and selling them for shit load more to someone else....just my manual direct input on that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    July 2008
    604 Posts
    Are you UK based?

i didnt read thread apart from op..

a colt 1.1 has 75bhp, thats quite good
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    Dont Even Bother with that junk... i am a mechanic and Mitsubishi /dodge colt is a pos... i would go for a 1989+ geo metro with 3cyl that makes 50hp (very slow) but will get u anywhere and gets 50mpg or the same car with the 1.3 4cyl that gets also good gas millage.
    not my choice of a car i know several people killed in them. but there big go carts with no protection... but i 100% recommend a mid to late 90's Toyota corolla they will give u a good bang for the buck for what u pay and expect plenty of miles out of em i have owned 2 of em but i like my gas guzzler V8's and trucks more though mainly because i can afford it. wouldn't be caught dead in an economy car if i have money to enjoy something much bigger and useful. Eco cars are great for beating around town and saving gas and fixing them up and selling them for shit load more to someone else....just my manual direct input on that
    The Mitsubishi Mirage/Dodge Colt/Eagle Summit/Plymouth Colt/Etc. is an entirely different machine, and are swell cars. As a fellow mechanic, I've owned a few and they have been great. One of them was my first car.

On topic, you need to realize he isn't American and Geo doesn't fucking exist where he is. The Metro is the Cultus there and EVERY OTHER CAR IN ITS CATEGORY gets about the same economy and is just as if not more reliable. The Metro also doesn't achieve this legendary 50MPG you're speaking of, in mixed driving one would be lucky to get 42~ miles to the gallon, on the highway alone it's rated for 45.

Now, the car HE is talking about, the newer Mitsubishi Colt, is likely the sixth or seventh generation. With the 1.3, they are rated around the same as the "Geo Metro" you recommended him.

Don't barge in a thread and state opinions and make choices based on assumed facts. It's rude. :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    July 2008
    604 Posts

I would have actually got one of these as my next car, but Astra VXRs and the such are cheaper to insure.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    7,104 Posts
    you've been here since 2005 and made two posts

both which of are bad info about cars?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)