1. Post #1
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    25,780 Posts
    Obo, Central African Republic (CNN) -- The lush, green forests of central Africa have long been the playground and refuge of the continent's most-notorious warlord, Joseph Kony.

His Lord's Resistance Army, which began with the aim of overthrowing the Ugandan government, has since spread to remote hinterlands on the borders of the Central African Republic, South Sudan and the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Though officials don't know exactly where Kony is, U.S. troops have been sent to the area to help find and defeat the LRA leader.

They have made progress. But as CNN has learned, much work remains to be done -- both to locate Kony and to restore a sense of stability and safety to the region.

"Kony is definitely still a threat. He's been on the run. He's on the decline, and in survival mode, but he is still dangerous and he's going to be dangerous until the LRA are eliminated," said a captain with U.S. Special Forces.

The captain, who CNN agreed not to identify because of concerns for his safety, spoke in Obo, a village in the Central African Republic.

President Barack Obama directed the deployment of about 100 troops to central Africa last year to help hunt down leaders of the LRA. Distributed among four operating bases, they are advising regional forces.

"We help our partner nation forces ask the right questions -- the who, the what, the when, the where and the why -- to get all the information," the captain said.

The LRA has been on the run since being scattered from a temporary base in Congolese territory by a botched 2008 U.S.-backed attack on Kony's position, dubbed Operation Lightning Thunder.

Since then, LRA attacks have killed 2,400 people and displaced 465,000, according to Resolve Uganda, a nonprofit group that monitors LRA activity. Another 3,400 people have been abducted.

Kony, who became a household name when a video about him went viral on the Internet this year, is wanted by the International Criminal Court for crimes against humanity. He and his group are accused of killing and maiming villagers, abducting children and turning them into soldiers or sex slaves.
    Madelaine Simbachalanio is considered one of the lucky ones.

She was abducted by LRA soldiers, but released into the forest once they reached their base camp, she said. Miraculously -- exhausted and terrified -- she made her way home. Many of those taken with her were never seen or heard from again.

Part of the difficulty in tracking Kony stems from the fact he can move freely across porous borders, and not all countries in the region have joined the chase, said Ugandan armed forces spokesman Col. Felix Kulayigye.

He believes Kony is shuffling between Sudan and the Central African Republic.

"This is the strategy that he has used for the last four to five years. When the pressure is too much here, he runs across the border because he knows we are not allowed to go after him," Kulayigye said. "Whenever pressure is high, he just switches to north Sudan. It hampers our operation."
    But a spokesman for the Sudanese information ministry denied the allegation.

"This is completely incorrect," said Rabi Abd al-Ati. "We don't accommodate rebels from Uganda or elsewhere. ... The LRA has no existence in our areas."
    Regardless of where Kony is, the hope is that the search to find him will not only lead to his capture, but also bring an end to the long, regional nightmare he unleashed.

Despite the presence of troops, some people in Obo say they are still too afraid to sleep in their beds.

They sleep in the yard, hiding in the undergrowth outside their houses, because they worry the LRA will come for them in the night.

Reclaiming peoples' lives from that fear is as much a part of the job as capturing Kony, said the Special Forces captain.

"I think this mission is a very worthwhile one, and it's going to bring stability to a region that has been without stability for a long time. If we can do anything to help reduce the atrocities, and make the locals feel safe, then, I think, it's definitely worthwhile," he said.
    Source: http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/29/world/...html?hpt=hp_c1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny x 66Dumb x 13Late x 2Winner x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    bwahah are you kidding me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 35 (list)

3. Post #3
    June 2010
    4,374 Posts
    Uganda be kidding me

you'd think this wouldn't happen what does america have to gain

(User was banned for this post ("Dumb pun" - Craptasket))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 25Funny x 12Winner x 3Zing x 2Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member

November 2007
    4,615 Posts
    i don't understand, wasn't Kony killed in Guatemala after a big blue explosion?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 18 (list)

5. Post #5
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    25,780 Posts
    Uganda be kidding me

you'd think this wouldn't happen what does america have to gain
    Publicity, maybe?

We do have to keep up our World Police image, after all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Zing Zing x 13Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    $1 title pls
    June 2007
    1,654 Posts
    I smell oil.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner x 73Funny x 6Dumb x 2Agree x 2Optimistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    6,509 Posts
    i don't understand, wasn't Kony killed in Guatemala after a big blue explosion?
    wasn't me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 59Disagree Disagree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    If clothing didn't exist and everyone walked around with their penises fully erect I would have all the bitches.
    May 2009
    23,910 Posts
    Let's hope we never hear from this organization ever again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    3,176 Posts
    President Barack Obama directed the deployment of about 100 troops to central Africa last year to help hunt down leaders of the LRA. Distributed among four operating bases, they are advising regional forces.
    fortunately it's just a token force - an advisory one, at that. Probably just a publicity move/testing the waters.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    4,109 Posts
    How about we lend support towards our humdrum economy and towards the education of our youth
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 20Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    hey uh guys Kony is still a horrible person who still does bad stuff today.
    all invisible children shit aside, he's still responsible for killings that happen even recently.

eat my cock, people
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 10Agree x 8Dumb x 3Optimistic x 2Useful x 1Artistic x 1Friendly x 1Late x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,374 Posts
    How about we lend support towards our humdrum economy and towards the education of our youth
    Because sending 100 troops on a mission to stop a vicious warlord prohibits simultaneously improving our economy and education
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    August 2005
    115 Posts
    i bet the government funded the kony 2012 to get public approval and an excuse to get oil from uganda
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 11Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    8,049 Posts
    Because sending 100 troops on a mission to stop a vicious warlord prohibits simultaneously improving our economy and education
    No but frankly your overbloated military budget does.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 4Zing Zing x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    8,975 Posts
    It's humanitarian people. At least we're not waging a full out war. Baby steps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    3,176 Posts
    all invisible children shit aside, he's still responsible for killings that happen even recently.

eat my cock, people
    If the US went out of it's way to bomb every single bad person out there we'd only have a few thousand bombs left

in all seriousness though the US shouldn't militarily intervene in foreign countries unless it's to stop a giant violation of human rights or a (real) threat to international security   

17. Post #17
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    If the US went out of it's way to bomb every single bad person out there we'd only have a few thousand bombs left
    right because when they say 100 troops as advising forces, what they actually mean is 100 bombs on the general populace.

the US shouldn't militarily intervene in foreign countries unless it's to stop a giant violation of human rights or a (real) threat to international security
    but it's not military intervention???
    and it is a giant violation of human rights, unless Uganda is the only place where human rights violations can be committed.

Edited:

I smell oil.
    because that's how it works. the 100 advisers will carry out the oil in their pockets.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #18
    -
    May 2006
    10,188 Posts
    "Despite the presence of troops, some people in Obo say they are still too afraid to sleep in their beds.

They sleep in the yard, hiding in the undergrowth outside their houses, because they worry the LRA will come for them in the night."

Gee, that's much safer.

19. Post #19
    October 2011
    294 Posts
    Oh boy, profit, AND killing black people? The U.S. is gonna go apeshit on this one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 3 (list)

20. Post #20
    If clothing didn't exist and everyone walked around with their penises fully erect I would have all the bitches.
    May 2009
    23,910 Posts
    "Despite the presence of troops, some people in Obo say they are still too afraid to sleep in their beds.

They sleep in the yard, hiding in the undergrowth outside their houses, because they worry the LRA will come for them in the night."

Gee, that's much safer.
    Getting kidnapped by associates of an African Warlord is probably worse than the cons of sleeping in a garden.

21. Post #21
    October 2011
    294 Posts
    People join the LRA out of their own choice because the official ugandan government is a fucking dictatorship fyi.

22. Post #22
    April 2009
    502 Posts
    You would think they'd be more worried about the cartels chopping off the heads of nationals and tourists alike just south of the border then a recent facebook craze.

23. Post #23
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    You would think they'd be more worried about the cartels chopping off the heads of nationals and tourists alike just south of the border then a recent facebook craze.
    indicted by criminal court for war crimes and crimes against humanity in 2005 = recent facebook craze.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    August 2009
    7,759 Posts
    How dare America try to stop a war criminal, we should just stick to spamming KONY 2012 on youtube videos, that will do something.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,483 Posts
    Wait, so I dont know if I missed it, but did it say how many more they were sending beyond the one hundred that are already there? Also, I dont have a problem with us sending troops to central Africa. I do have a problem with Invisible children being mega scammers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Dennab
    July 2009
    2,787 Posts
    Cant they put the money to feed the starving and give medicine to the sick?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    December 2011
    2,782 Posts

eat my cock, people
    So were the Contras.

28. Post #28
    I do it all
    November 2010
    14,255 Posts
    Kony's dead, Invisible Children is a scam, US just wants oil

This whole thing in a fucking nutshell
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    December 2011
    2,782 Posts
    indicted by criminal court for war crimes and crimes against humanity in 2005 = recent facebook craze.
    MOST people didn't know who he was until Kony 2012 came out so yeah it's a facebook craze.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    So were the Contras.
    yeah so were the contra's.

Edited:

MOST people didn't know who he was until Kony 2012 came out so yeah it's a facebook craze.
    MOST people don't determine whether someone is a war criminal or not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

31. Post #31
    December 2011
    2,782 Posts
    yeah so were the contra's.

Edited:

MOST people don't determine whether someone is a war criminal or not.
    It's not the job of the US to hunt old war criminals who haven't been an issue for years and who may not even be alive.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,374 Posts
    Say what you will about Invisible Children and their practices, but at the very least they have garnered a significant amount of attention about the issue. And not just since the 2012 video went viral, they have been traveling through high schools everywhere telling people about Kony for several years now.

Edited:

No but frankly your overbloated military budget does.
    Don't get me wrong, if i had my way education would be one of the largest portions of the federal pie. But iirc Obama is planning on halving the military budget in the coming years so it's at least something.

33. Post #33
    December 2011
    2,782 Posts
    Say what you will about Invisible Children and their practices, but at the very least they have garnered a significant amount of attention about the issue. And not just since the 2012 video went viral, they have been traveling through high schools everywhere telling people about Kony for several years now.
    Yeah, but it's not really an 'issue' anymore.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,028 Posts
    How come everything to do with kony, has kony written in full caps? As if it's being yelled.
    It really irritates me.

"hey did you hear about KONY!!!, man?"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,374 Posts
    Because of the fact that this war criminal still exists I would say it's still moderately an issue. Not as over blown as IC has made it but still an issue. That's like saying a serial killer isn't an issue anymore because he has stopped killing people, but he should still be brought to justice imo.

Kony could just as easily have an upswing in activity and start terrorizing in new ways.

36. Post #36
    April 2012
    54 Posts
    Fuck. It's only a matter of time before all hipsters support this not knowing it's a big clusterfuck just to get oil.

37. Post #37
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    they've killed a significant amount of people since 2006.

Edited:

It's not the job of the US to hunt old war criminals who haven't been an issue for years and who may not even be alive.
    which they aren't doing?
    and obviously the government there do think it's an issue or else they wouldn't keep searching for them.

i would see your point if they were napalming the forest, but that's not what they are doing.

38. Post #38
    December 2011
    2,782 Posts
    Because of the fact that this war criminal still exists I would say it's still moderately an issue. Not as over blown as IC has made it but still an issue. That's like saying a serial killer isn't an issue anymore because he has stopped killing people, but he should still be brought to justice imo.

Kony could just as easily have an upswing in activity and start terrorizing in new ways.
    There's a difference, a MASSIVE one I should add, between domestic criminals and a criminal who is in Uganda.

Edited:

they've killed a significant amount of people since 2006.
    By Significant you mean two events in 2008?

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,374 Posts
    There's a difference, a MASSIVE one I should add, between domestic criminals and a criminal who is in Uganda.
    There is a difference but the thought line is the same, just because a criminal has stopped doing a crime doesn't mean efforts should be curtailed to bring him to justice to protect the common weal

40. Post #40
    March 2009
    2,450 Posts
    Doesn't anyone remember that they actually sent out those advisors much earlier than all this kony 2012 stuff? Fuck, apparently what was a good decision then is now shitty because hipsters made a youtube video and made him famous.