1. Post #1
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,099 Posts

Clive Palmer, one of Australia's richest men, has commissioned a Chinese state-owned company to build a 21st Century version of the Titanic.

The mining billionaire told Australian media that construction will start at the end of next year.

It would be ready to set sail in 2016.

The plan, he added, is for the vessel to be as similar as possible to the original Titanic in design and specifications, but with modern technology.

Mr Palmer told Australian media that he had signed a memorandum of understanding with CSC Jinling Shipyard to construct the ship.

"It will be every bit as luxurious as the original Titanic but of course it will have state-of-the-art 21st Century technology and the latest navigation and safety systems," he said in a statement.

The announcement comes just weeks after the centenary of the sinking of the ill-fated Titanic.

The vessel, the largest luxury ship in its time, struck an iceberg on its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York. It went down on 15 April 1912, leaving more than 1,500 people dead.

"Of course it will sink if you put a hole in it,'' Mr Palmer said in response to questions from reporters on whether the Titanic replica would sink.

The new vessel is scheduled to sail from London to New York in late 2016, if all goes as planned.

"It is going to be designed so it won't sink,'' he added. ''But, of course, if you are superstitious like you are, you never know what could happen.''

The cost of the construction is not known, a spokesman for Mr Palmer told Australian media.

The mining magnate from Queensland, who has strong business relations with China, has expanded into tourism. He owns a luxury resort on the Sunshine Coast and has plans to build a fleet of luxury liners.

His plan to build the Titanic replica was announced on the same day that he revealed plans, in a separate news conference, to contest the next federal election in Queensland.

He told reporters that he has expressed interest in standing for Queensland's Liberal National Party (LNP), part of the conservative opposition at federal level, in the Brisbane seat of Lilley - currently held by Deputy Prime Minister and Treasurer Wayne Swan.
    **CRUSHED ICE**
    It's not that the ship itself will sink, it's that he'll get about 25% into the project, funding will do something weird, and the whole project will sink.

Edited: YES! I posted in the right subforum this time! \/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Winner x 51Funny x 6Artistic x 1Friendly x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,703 Posts
    this is really cool actually
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 16Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    April 2010
    3,342 Posts
    I would do stuff like this if I were a billionaire.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 42Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    September 2007
    3,239 Posts
    Why would he do that? I mean I get the sentiment but why call it the titanic II? Other ships existed at the time that were the same style and near as luxurious, why name it after the one that sank and was a tragedy?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

5. Post #5
    June 2010
    3,507 Posts
    I hope there is no visual difference (other than the rudder obviously, but you can't see that too well, and life rafts) from the original.

It seems like it would be a quite a profound experience riding this.

Edited:

Why would he do that? I mean I get the sentiment but why call it the titanic II? Other ships existed at the time that were the same style and near as luxurious, why name it after the one that sank and was a tragedy?
    To me it's giving the Titanic a chance to be what it was intended to be.

Seeing the Titanic sail again would be amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 23 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    Australian billionaire Clive Palmer to re-enact Titanic incident with real Titanic and real iceberg.

Wow layla did your great great great grandparents die in the Titanic or something goddamn
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 17Zing Zing x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Has volunteered for dissection because the doctor is cute
    May 2009
    20,227 Posts
    He might be a fan of the Titanic story or something.

Plus, the Titanic is easily the most famous Ocean Liner ever. Why name it after another ship that wasnt as well documented or well-known?

Really, it could be any number of reasons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

8. Post #8
    September 2007
    3,239 Posts
    I hope there is no visual difference (other than the rudder obviously, but you can't see that too well, and life rafts) from the original.

It seems like it would be a quite a profound experience riding this.

Edited:

To me it's giving the Titanic a chance to be what it was intended to be.

Seeing the Titanic sail again would be amazing.
    It's too late for that though.
    It's like if nasa unveiled challenger II today it would piss everyone off, but if they did it in 1986 it would be something to continue the legacy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    2,083 Posts
    Article posted:
    commissioned a Chinese state-owned company
    Nope, absolutely not going to sink and completely structurally sound.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 28Agree Agree x 4Zing Zing x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,703 Posts
    I just hope that he keeps the look of the titanic, I would love to have seen that ship
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

11. Post #11
    June 2010
    3,507 Posts
    It's too late for that though.
    It's like if nasa unveiled challenger II today it would piss everyone off, but if they did it in 1986 it would be something to continue the legacy.
    I see what you are trying to say, but I just don't feel that that is a very good comparison.

12. Post #12
    Has volunteered for dissection because the doctor is cute
    May 2009
    20,227 Posts
    I just hope that he keeps the look of the titanic, I would love to have seen that ship
    She was a gorgeous ship. She deserved better than she got.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    6,421 Posts
    Because not many people have heard of the Olympic or the Britannic, since they didn't sink in one of the worst maritime disasters ever and weren't the subject of the second highest grossing film of all time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    Perhaps he should consider a different name.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 9 (list)

15. Post #15
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,099 Posts
    There's so much navigational shit that modern liners have that the Titanic was never designed for. I'm hoping they will at least try to hide it all in the dummy stacks.
    I just see a lot of red tape really taking away from the look and feel of the titanic.

16. Post #16
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    maybe the HMS Icebreaker or the USS Eat Shit, Nature

Edited:

god fucking damn it, mips
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15Zing Zing x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    June 2010
    3,507 Posts
    Titanic: REDUX

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,145 Posts
    Australian billionaire Clive Palmer tempts fate.

But seriously this sounds pretty bad ass.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member

September 2006
    8,277 Posts
    Chinese state-owned company
    Welp, goodbye Titanic II
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 27Late Late x 1Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    4,904 Posts
    Ends up like the movie, Titanic 2

21. Post #21
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,832 Posts
    Call it Lusitania
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,816 Posts
    Welp, goodbye Titanic II
    Won't even need an iceberg, it'll probably rip up when it hits a tide.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    6,421 Posts
    There was actually another plan to build an exact replica of the titanic, with the addition of an adequate number of lifeboats about 10 years ago that failed because so many safety regulations have been put in place since it was built. (You can't use that much wood in the interior because of the fire hazard, and can't place lifeboats that high)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replica_Titanic
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,186 Posts
    I would totally purchase a ticket, but come prepared.

Backpack-inflatable raft, a week's worth of sealed fresh water and MRV's

Oh, and a flare gun.

Edited:

There was actually another plan to build an exact replica of the titanic, with the addition of an adequate number of lifeboats about 10 years ago that failed because so many safety regulations have been put in place since it was built. (You can't use that much wood in the interior because of the fire hazard, and can't place lifeboats that high)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replica_Titanic
    So you use material that looks like wood but isn't flammable :I
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    17,592 Posts
    "Of course it will sink if you put a hole in it,'' Mr Palmer said in response to questions from reporters on whether the Titanic replica would sink.
    lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Show Events Funny Funny x 21 (list)

26. Post #26
    oh shit, it really says i payed 10.00. Im so fucked. im crying. we are gonna be poor.
    April 2005
    9,639 Posts
    Hahaha, oh Clive Palmer, what are you getting yourself into.

He also announced today that he is nominating himself to run for Federal Parliament at the next election. This guy is an idiot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    ASK ME ABOUT MY BEN FOLDS FETISH
    April 2010
    6,629 Posts
    Oh god

Oh god oh god oh god

YES

YES

THIS IS THE BEST NEWS EVER

TAKE ALL OF MY MONEY
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,969 Posts
    He should invite Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet for the maiden voyage...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 20 (list)

29. Post #29
    September 2007
    3,239 Posts
    And Christopher Walken.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    lady godiva's giant vaginas
    May 2005
    1,860 Posts
    They should put some pieces from the original titanic in it, like plates or whatever else didn't decay.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,843 Posts
    Nope, absolutely not going to sink and completely structurally sound.
    You do realize Chinese manufacturers makes over 80% (percentage pulled out of my ass but its around here) of what you interact with on a daily basis? Does your phone, computer, cars (or at least parts of them), building components, furniture, etc not work since they're Chinese made?

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    12,207 Posts
    this is gonna be just like the futurama episode

33. Post #33
    I can't think of a good title.
    May 2010
    16,652 Posts
    That ship is going to sink, literally or metaphorically. You don't tempt the universe like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,479 Posts
    Reminds of how in high school, my friend would always build airplanes, call them the challenger, and then throw them in a way that they smashed horribly into the ground. In other words, shouldn't name things like this after tragedies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,354 Posts
    I sort of wish he would start claiming it was unsinkable, just to try and challenge the universe into making the same thing happen again, ya know, make it more interesting to see it set sail

36. Post #36
    October 2010
    3,292 Posts
    The first one went so well. I can only see good things.

37. Post #37
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,816 Posts
    This same guy wants to be the next Wayne Swan as well

He's just bored, I doubt this will happen

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    3,899 Posts
    The fat prick can be used as a buoyancy device.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    7,048 Posts
    if it DOES sink

for the rest of time, no ship will be named titanic
    it be a cursed name.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    1,307 Posts
    I always thought the idea of something like this would be cool. I visited a Titanic museum in Branson Missouri that has a 1:1 scale replica of the grand staircase. I'd love to see the entire thing brought back to life. It was such a beautiful ship, and it never got to be truly enjoyed by the world.