1. Post #1
    EGN Founder
    May 2010
    505 Posts

Okay so by now you are probably wondering what the deal is with HARDCODE. Well its actually very simple. Hardcode is an IDE (integrated development environment) that is designed to take programming to the next level. Now what exactly do we mean by the next level? Well, to put it simply (which is not an easy task) we aim to make HARDCODE the best and most versatile IDE system that allows massive teams to collaborate in real time, while using an interface that makes you feel like you are at the controls of the USS enterprise, or working in Tony Starks' personal lab.
    Hardcode features a sophisticated project management system that takes out all the fuss in working with multiple files in multiple locations, be it local or remote, hardcode can integrate immediately with any existing project / filesystem and immediately model a project that will bring everything you are working with, into one place.
    Because teamwork is a massive part of any project, we have built a live text collaboration platform that allows multiple users to edit a single document in realtime, and also gain access to the sophisticated models that HardCode dynamically builds while you are working. You (the file owner) can even give users remote permission to save and revert project changes should you need a quick coffee break or a game of Super Mario to get your thoughts together.
    You will also be happy to know that Hardcode plays well with with others, written in Java and bundled with OpenGL, Hardcode will run on any system and will give you hardware level graphics support to take some of its awesome features into an experience that you commonly find in games. Yes, it does play nicely with conventional editors, and yes, it does feel awesome.
    Finally, because we know how badly most editors are designed, we decided to take this project head on with the most incredible user interface system that can possibly ever exist. Every single pixel you see in hardcode, can be recolored in realtime, along with a transparency mask. Yes you heard correctly, you can redesign the entire user interface right down to its transparency settings.

Screenshots and Concept Arts (as I am sure you are all curious to see)

Links (as I am sure you want to find out more and follow development)
    Site: http://www.hcide.com/
    Forums: http://hcide.com/forums/
    FB Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hardcode/201113513338607
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/hardcodeide
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/DEVTEAMNINJA/
    Download: It is still a major WIP and we are hoping to release a version soon, please check the links above regularly to find out when we release it.

Please do note this is literally just the start of the project, this is the first actual images we have released of this. The reason it looks like it does is because that is what the team decided on for our base theme, you are more than welcome to customise it and place your own theme.

Development Update 1 (8 May 2012)
    Here is some screenshots regarding the theme API

PS: Don't be hatin' on our design style. If you don't like it, you can make your own when we release an alpha.

Here is a video regarding our parameter highlighting + tabbing and code completion
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151033326474989

Minor Update 1 (9 May 2012)
    Youtube channel brought online, follow it as we will post videos of features in development, etc. It can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/user/DEVTEAMNINJA/

Development Update 2 (11 May 2012)
    Our plugin system is working now, we are now continuing by adding webdev languages to it.
    On top of this we are working on some videos to demonstrate some of the features which we will upload to our Youtube channel.
    To add to this list, we are busy setting up a forum system in place of using an IRC channel. We shall post a link shortly.
    Forum link: http://hcide.com/forums/

Development Update 3 (20 May 2012)
    Haven't updated here in a while, so will try and summarise the main highlites.
    Firstly, we have an "Introducing HARDCODE" video up, this is just to showcase a few of the features, these are subject to change.
    We have gotten a new progress screen shot up.

FTP has officially been implemented, seamless FTP is being implemented as we speak, and has been/is being implemented using the Plugin API.
    Our site has also gotten an update.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 South Africa Show Events Artistic x 40Dumb x 17Winner x 11Programming King x 8Funny x 6Useful x 5Optimistic x 3Disagree x 2Agree x 1Friendly x 1Late x 1Zing x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,600 Posts
    Looks horribly ugly and desperate to look flashy and futuristic in my opinion.

Edited:

What it actually does seems good, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 83Disagree Disagree x 8Dumb Dumb x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    July 2010
    1,039 Posts
    In the code editing view there seems to be a lot of wasted space like the top area. That could have a better use. Maybe allow for side-by-side editing of files.

Also does it have any themes support so i could have a less futuristic theme if i wanted to? Currently it seems more look oriented than usefulness oriented.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,821 Posts
    Cool features, absolutely completely and utterly awful user interface. Nobody wants to look at star trek, they want to look at their operating system's native controls.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 19Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,460 Posts
    why on earth is it transparent? make it opaque and it has half a chance of looking decent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 15Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,813 Posts
    An IDE that's as much of an art project as it is useless. I like it

It's not really that useless but it seems to sacrifice a lot of things for the design.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    EGN Founder
    May 2010
    505 Posts
    I'll try answer all these questions in one post

In the code editing view there seems to be a lot of wasted space like the top area. That could have a better use. Maybe allow for side-by-side editing of files.

Also does it have any themes support so i could have a less futuristic theme if i wanted to? Currently it seems more look oriented than usefulness oriented.
    Don't worry, there are a lot of panels to fill in those gaps
    We currently have side by side editing of files, as well as collaborative editing.

Cool features, absolutely completely and utterly awful user interface. Nobody wants to look at star trek, they want to look at their operating system's native controls.
    why on earth is it transparent? make it opaque and it has half a chance of looking decent.
    These two questions share a similar answer, so I will just combine it.
    Each pixel is customisable, as well as the transparency layer. We have structured it off a highly dynamic graphics engine which we created. Theming will be possible and you will be able to change the layout to a very large degree.

Please note this is a heavy WIP, there are many changes still to be implemented.

Edited:

Please do note this is literally just the start of the project, this is the first actual images we have released of this. The reason it looks like it does is because that is what the team decided on for our base theme, you are more than welcome to customise it and place your own theme.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 South Africa Show Events Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    October 2009
    1,935 Posts
    I love dark IDEs. Do you plan on adding support for other languages? or at least add support for arbitrary plugins?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Egypt Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

9. Post #9
    EGN Founder

April 2012
    1 Posts
    I love dark IDEs. Do you plan on adding support for other languages? or at least add support for arbitrary plugins?
    We are more than willing to provide it in other languages, so long as people are willing to help us with them. We also built the entire program with a plugin based module system at its core.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac South Africa Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    EGN Founder
    May 2010
    505 Posts
    -snip-

11. Post #11
    October 2009
    1,935 Posts
    Great, I'd love to have a Vala IDE that doesn't suck. Implementing that shouldn't be that hard, especially if I can implement the plugin in Vala. (The standard package can parse itself)

It compiles to C code by the way, and since I'm not sure what you're developing this in; will that be a problem?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Egypt Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12

January 2012
    414 Posts
    Yes you heard correctly, you can redesign the entire user interface right down to its transparency settings.
    says in the first post...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    EGN Founder
    May 2010
    505 Posts
    Great, I'd love to have a Vala IDE that doesn't suck. Implementing that shouldn't be that hard, especially if I can implement the plugin in Vala. (The standard package can parse itself)

It compiles to C code by the way, and since I'm not sure what you're developing this in; will that be a problem?
    No, it won't. We are basing this across several languages, and if you would like to help, it would be very appreciated. If you can go like the FB page and post on there, we can contact you through there :)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    405 Posts
    ... we have built a live text collaboration platform that allows multiple users to edit a single document in realtime ...
    This can cause allot of trouble.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Belgium Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    EGN Founder
    May 2010
    505 Posts
    This can cause allot of trouble.
    Why can this cause a lot of trouble?

Every editor shares a live copy of the file that is constantly updated as one of the editors change a piece of it. It does not refresh the entire file, but merely the part of it. It maintains a secure connection between all of the users both online and over local area network.

Yes, this is mostly working at the moment, we are simply bug squashing and optimising now.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,380 Posts
    Is it going to be free?

17. Post #17
    EGN Founder
    May 2010
    505 Posts
    It is still being discussed, but if it is free, not all of it will be opensource.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 South Africa Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9 (list)

18. Post #18
    March 2011
    625 Posts
    It is still being discussed, but if it is free, not all of it will be opensource.
    why

what are you hiding
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 11Funny Funny x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    EGN Founder
    May 2010
    505 Posts
    why

what are you hiding
    We are not hiding anything, we just don't want all our hard work to be let loose on the internet. We would like to keep the project on track. We may allow branches later.

Just as expansion on this, this was a decision made so we can maintain a high standard of quality as well as a high standard of protocols. We did not want to have a project like Android where too many ROMs came out and it became difficult to control.
    As to expand even more, we will be supporting all major opensource operating systems (as well as Windows and Mac) and will upload it to the package managers.

We will keep the HardCode live editing API opensource, the other stuff we will most likely keep closed source.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 South Africa Show Events Dumb Dumb x 21Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    Person
    June 2008
    5,584 Posts
    We are not hiding anything, we just don't want all our hard work to be let loose on the internet. We would like to keep the project on track. We may allow branches later.

Just as expansion on this, this was a decision made so we can maintain a high standard of quality as well as a high standard of protocols. We did not want to have a project like Android where too many ROMs came out and it became difficult to control.
    As to expand even more, we will be supporting all major opensource operating systems (as well as Windows and Mac) and will upload it to the package managers.

We will keep the HardCode live editing API opensource, the other stuff we will most likely keep closed source.
    I think you're imagining a problem of too much popularity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

21. Post #21
    EGN Founder
    May 2010
    505 Posts
    I think you're imagining a problem of too much popularity.
    We are simply allowing a stable base to grow from if things become popular. We have not come to any official conclusions on how we will manage the license. We are however looking more into that direction.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 South Africa Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    HQRSE FUCKER
    September 2009
    3,052 Posts
    If you're charging money for it, then it makes sense to keep it closed-source.

If it's a free IDE, why not make it open-source? GIT gives control of many different distributions and branches anyway. So "keeping the project on track" should be no concern at all, having a community-driven project has a lot of benefits.

(I would also like to point out that you were comparing an application to a device operating system, which are two very different things)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

23. Post #23

Every editor shares a live copy of the file that is constantly updated as one of the editors change a piece of it. It does not refresh the entire file, but merely the part of it. It maintains a secure connection between all of the users both online and over local area network.

Yes, this is mostly working at the moment, we are simply bug squashing and optimising now.
    Because if you're working in large teams it's never going to be as reliable as using a DVCS and merging files as they're completed.

What happens if you need to test something but someone else is working on the same file as you and is half way through writing a function? You have to tell them to wait a second so you can build/launch/whatever.

It adds an extra level of required communication that doesn't need to exist at all if you're doing something like having all collaborators work on their own forks in git and then push and merge changes as they are ready.

What does the live collaboration offer over using a DVCS? You say it is meant to allow "massive teams to collaborate in real time", but how is a massive team going to glean more benefit from working real time like this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    EGN Founder
    May 2010
    505 Posts
    Because if you're working in large teams it's never going to be as reliable as using a DVCS and merging files as they're completed.

What happens if you need to test something but someone else is working on the same file as you and is half way through writing a function? You have to tell them to wait a second so you can build/launch/whatever.

It adds an extra level of required communication that doesn't need to exist at all if you're doing something like having all collaborators work on their own forks in git and then push and merge changes as they are ready.

What does the live collaboration offer over using a DVCS? You say it is meant to allow "massive teams to collaborate in real time", but how is a massive team going to glean more benefit from working real time like this?
    You are aware repository support is still offered? It doesn't matter how big the team is, it is useful in any size. Live collaboration along with a communication system provides a powerful tool for explaining what a particular application or file does aswell as feedback as to what can be done, etc. It has many uses which I am not even going to begin to list here. For those that do not like it, there will be the repository and FTP options.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 South Africa Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    January 2008
    83 Posts

You mostly right but it could be fixed. Like they will have control of committing their changes. But real time thing allow you see what they are coding. And you could write your code accordingly by knowing what they doing. So it could let you easily merge without problems. But I don't know how it will work in practically.

Also I didn't like the GUI. It's not cool if you not programming in front of your friends which is unlikely. But it looks interesting to someone don't know how to program. So I would definitely launch this program instead of visual studio if a friend of mine watching me.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    405 Posts

Try compiling why somebody else is working on something in your project...

27. Post #27
    EGN Founder
    May 2010
    505 Posts
    You mostly right but it could be fixed. Like they will have control of committing their changes. But real time thing allow you see what they are coding. And you could write your code accordingly by knowing what they doing. So it could let you easily merge without problems. But I don't know how it will work in practically.

Also I didn't like the GUI. It's not cool if you not programming in front of your friends which is unlikely. But it looks interesting to someone don't know how to program. So I would definitely launch this program instead of visual studio if a friend of mine watching me.
    Try compiling why somebody else is working on something in your project...
    We are fully aware of the logic problem with compiling in live coding, we are implementing a system to assist in preventing an issue with this. You are not forced to use the collaborative coding system, it is merely an option, if you wish to still use SVN, GIT, Mercurial or similar, you are very welcome to.

The entire file handling system is modular, so you can easily add other file types and remove some if you really want to.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,821 Posts
    A way in which it could be useful is if it linked up with version control systems and told you the status of files on other people's machines. Then you'd be able to see if someone has changes they haven't pushed to everyone and see what they're up to. That way maybe you'd avoid duplicating work or something idk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Person
    June 2008
    5,584 Posts
    I actually really like the idea of live code editing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    You are aware repository support is still offered? It doesn't matter how big the team is, it is useful in any size. Live collaboration along with a communication system provides a powerful tool for explaining what a particular application or file does aswell as feedback as to what can be done, etc. It has many uses which I am not even going to begin to list here. For those that do not like it, there will be the repository and FTP options.
    Of course repository support is still offered, it's a text editor. I'm asking what advantages this offers to "massive teams" over a traditional system. Live editing alone is going to cause a lot of issues.

if you really want to push the collaboration aspect, integrate tightly with git and allow a central server/user to act as the main upstream repository and let people push/pull changes to that as they please. Give every user a separate copy or "room" of the project unless they invite someone in to work with them live ("Bob, I can't get this unit test to pass, can you take a look at it really quickly?") instead of defaulting to shared copies.

Edited:

A way in which it could be useful is if it linked up with version control systems and told you the status of files on other people's machines. Then you'd be able to see if someone has changes they haven't pushed to everyone and see what they're up to. That way maybe you'd avoid duplicating work or something idk.
    You should be communicating well enough that you're not duplicating work in the first place if you're working on a collaborative project.

Edited:

Also something you should definitely do: Support syntax highlighting definitions and autocomplete/snippets from textmate. If you build that you instantly have support for a much wider range of languages than you're going to have if you keep that stuff fully proprietary.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    405 Posts
    I really don't think that an IDE should have live editing. It would cause more trouble then good. Maybe support some functions such as comitting some files with git or tortoise svn but don't take it to far.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Belgium Show Events Disagree Disagree x 8Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    countnoobula, have you ever worked in a 'massive team'
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    This title has been removed due to a copyright claim from Viacom Inc.
    July 2008
    3,482 Posts
    I for one think this is a great idea.
    I think it should be opensource though, just incase I want to change something drastic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,732 Posts
    Visual Studio has most, if not all of these features... If you're going to convince me to use this you'll have to ditch the gaudy theme, add better readability with clean organization and icons, better syntax highlighting, really good debugging, and the ability to open 500+ files in one project (oh, and I should be able to click on one of said files and instantly see what is inside of it).

Edited:

I for one think this is a great idea.
    I think it should be opensource though, just incase I want to change something drastic.
    If it's in Java, you can just decompile it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    EGN Founder
    May 2010
    505 Posts
    countnoobula, have you ever worked in a 'massive team'
    Yes, infact, that is where our motivation for this IDE came from. It would have allowed groups of us to collaborate on our sections of the project to build into something much bigger, and instead of having to go over to their desk, we could simply display the src and get their input and assistance through the IDE.

Visual Studio has most, if not all of these features... If you're going to convince me to use this you'll have to ditch the gaudy theme, add better readability with clean organization and icons, better syntax highlighting, really good debugging, and the ability to open 500+ files in one project (oh, and I should be able to click on one of said files and instantly see what is inside of it).

Edited:

If it's in Java, you can just decompile it.
    As we said, it is themable. We have said this about 2 or three times now. The current theme is what we created as the base theme. We also did mention we have plugin support so feel free to add to it what you want.

36. Post #36
    April 2010
    2,323 Posts
    I can imagine an IDE like this would be invaluable for teaching people to code over the internet
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Just from the screenshots this doesn't look nice. Why would you make it transparent? So you can see your icon-covered desktop's text mashed in with your code's text? Will it have a Vim-like mode? Will it support a shell? Will I get sued for decompiling and modding it (if it's not open source, it's not worth my time)? "because we know how badly most editors are designed" Why are you comparing an editor to an IDE? How are they badly designed? Why do you think a pretty UI will make up for bad design decisions?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 2Late Late x 2Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    3,941 Posts
    Just from the screenshots this doesn't look nice. Why would you make it transparent? So you can see your icon-covered desktop's text mashed in with your code's text? Will it have a Vim-like mode? Will it support a shell? Will I get sued for decompiling and modding it (if it's not open source, it's not worth my time)? "because we know how badly most editors are designed" Why are you comparing an editor to an IDE? How are they badly designed? Why do you think a pretty UI will make up for bad design decisions?
    Have you lost the ability to communicate without questions? Is it some sort of disease? Oh jesus, do I have it? Why god, WHY!!!?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 12Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,114 Posts
    Vi mode please
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Another thing: Is it really good to have an OpenGL based IDE? I imagine Fraps counters and whatnot being really annoying, and it ruining SSH support. (Yes I do actually use my duct tape IDE over SSH)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)