1. Post #1
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    16,479 Posts
    NEWBIES! SCROLL DOWN UNTIL YOU SEE MORE RED TEXT!!

What is Defense of the Ancients?

Defense of the Ancients is the original map that created the "Action RTS" (ARTS) genre. It started as a map modification in Warcraft III and is now being made into it's own game with Valve using the Source engine. In short, it's a session based, Player vs. Player RPG. Ten people play on two teams of five and each person controls a hero of various ability, utility and strength. As you play in a game your hero will level up, you will gain gold, you'll kill opposing heroes and buy items to become stronger. The ultimate objective is to kill the enemies main structure in the back of their base. This takes teamwork and coordination, not something you can do by yourself as the base is also protected by AI controlled creeps that constantly spawn to defend it and towers meant to hold you back. Matches take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and when you're finished and start a new game, you pick a new hero and start all over. Nothing is persistant when it comes to something that can affect each game. That sounds simple in description but what has kept people playing it for years now are the complexities of the game.

What is the history behind Defense of the Ancients?

Defense of the Ancients started out a long time ago as a map modification in Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos. It was originally started by someone who went by the name Eul back in 2003. DotA is actually based on an older map from StarCraft called Aeon of Strife. When Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne released, Eul never updated the map. Probably because he went to work for Valve on Half-Life 2 and every title since (see this interview).

Variants of the map were made to replace Eul's version but none really replaced it until Steve Feak, aka Guinsoo, made DotA Allstars. Guinsoo added more heroes, the recepie system for items, and Roshan (Which is named after his bowling ball? Huh.) with his Aeigs of Immortality. He held development of the map for two years and in that time also helped make a central hub for DotA players with Steve Mescon, aka Pendragon, at dota-allstars.com. The website is now debunk since Steve and Steve now work on League of Legends.

In 2005 Guinsoo handed off development to IceFrog, the most reclusive of the DotA developers. IceFrog turned DotA into the highly competitve map it is today. While he regularly updated the map, adding new heroes, items, and fixes over time, the only evidence that he was working on it was the fact that his name was branded on the loading screen. He even refused to do interviews. Eventually he opened up his own blog and then a website, playdota.com, to communicate better with players. PlayDotA is now the central hub for DotA. IceFrog's variation of the map is the most balanced and competitive. DotA didn't become an esport until this version. It's mind boggling to think how over 100 heroes on one map can be balanced to such a point but IceFrog did it and has been doing it for years now.

At some point Valve approached IceFrog with the proposal to make DotA into a full retail game. Robin Walker, Adrian Finol (Eul), and Erik Johnson were all fans of DotA and eventually started talking to IceFrog over e-mail using the fact that they were big game developers (lol). When IceFrog expressed the want to make a sequel that was free of the restrictions in the Warcraft III engine, Valve said "Hey, we've got a great idea! Why don't you come here?" Obviously he said yes.

So how can I play it?

You can't. Yet. Sorta. You can sign up for the beta. More and more people have been getting in every day. The selection is totally random at this point but if you're in the pool you still have a chance to get into the beta.

In the meantime, they also lifted the NDA. People in the beta can talk about it, post screenshots, and stream. If you want to watch some streams check Twitch.tv or own3d.tv. There is a website dedicated to streams for Dota 2, StreamDota2.com. You can also check Reddit's Dota 2 subreddit for news and screenshots and stuff like that. You can also watch all the matched from Valve's Dota 2 reveal tournament, The International. It's a spectacular series and shows off the game very well.

Coming from League of Legends? Read this.

Written by Zorus...

Like LoL, but a lot more unforgiving.

*Abilities don't scale with items, with the exception of a certain item increasing the damage on certain ultimates.
    *There is no AD or AP as in LoL, just three attributes which give health/health regen, mana/mana regen, and attack speed/armor.
    *Also there doesn't appear to be any sort of fixed metagame, unlike League with its standard bruiser top, caster mid, support/carry bot and jungler.
    *Every hero uses mana as a resource.
    *There is no combine cost for some items, but there are items called recipes which you must buy in order to complete certain items.
    *CC is much more brutal, with fifteen second silences and five second stuns.
    *You can control more than one unit, players control their own hero and a courier, and some heroes can summon units that they control. In League there's things like Tibbers, and Shaco clones, but to control those you can only hold alt and move the unit.
    *Upon death, you lose gold. Killing a hero will not decrease their value. Bounties are pretty much the same thing, also exp reward from kills is much greater
    *You can kill your own creeps when they are under 50% hp, only with autoattacks and certain skills, this is called denying and stops a hero from killing the creep for gold, while also decreasing the exp gain from the creep.
    *Trees and elevation which can be used to advantage
    *Day/Night system, some heroes get stronger during the night (and day?)
    *A lot of mids gank, whereas in LoL mid normally doesn't gank/would gain more benefit from staying in lane
    *LoL level cap is 18 and you can only level abilities, each ability can be levelled to 5. In Dota, level cap is 25, and you can add +2 to attributes as well as level abilities to 4 and ultimates to 3, not every hero only has 3 standard skills, also the hotkeys are different for each hero (however in Dota 2 the ability hotkeys are standard QWER with some heroes having more skills that extend to d and f)
    *Certain heroes have more vision range than others.
    *Wards last longer
    *Neutral creeps do not give buffs, the equivalent to Baron drops an item which is the equivalent to Guardian Angel's passive, and also Cheese on third death
    *Two runespots, runes are items that can be taken instantly, or bottled (with an item) to be used for later, runes can double damage, make two clones of your hero, (which take and deal less damage) stealth, increase movespeed, or regenerate hp and mana greatly
    *Lane creeps give a lot more gold than in LoL
    *Unit collision is more important
    *Different types of shops, there's a unified base shop in Dota 2 but in Dota they were segmented, a secret shop in the jungle on both sides, and a sidelane shop
    *To return to base you must either walk or purchase an item that allows you to teleport to allied structures, in other words, no global recall spell
    *Towers deal less damage but fire faster, the last hit on a tower will reward extra gold, towers can be denied to the enemy team just as creeps can
    *No runepages/summoner spells
    *No bushes

and that's about it. I've played both games, switched to LoL for a long time and now I'm playing Dota 2. Some negligible things are that lane creeps are pretty damn big compared to hero units, and nomenclature of heroes isn't always standard. In LoL most heroes are called by name (Malzahar, the Prophet of the Void) whereas in Dota, you refer to a hero mostly by their occupation/title. Yurnero the Juggernaut, Krobelus the Death Prophet. Some exceptions like Zeus the Lord of Olympia or Rikimaru the Stealth Assassin.

Coming from Heroes of Newerth? Read this.

HoN has a very close relation to DotA, at least in it's early life. Over time its changed its but it still retains a lot of likeness and it the closest game to DotA between it and LoL. It does have it's differences thought. The HoN Wiki has a pages dedicated to what is the same and what is different between DotA and it. Check it here: http://honwiki.net/wiki/DotA_vs_HoN

Fucking helpful resources!!!
    Welcome to DotA. You suck! A must read for newbies.
    How to play Dota 2 in 4 Minutes A must watch for newbies.
    Ultimate Guide to Warding If you don't read this guide and take close notes you're a terrible, bad person.
    Dota 2 Wiki One of the best reference sites you'll find. Pretty much up to date within the hour of a new patch.
    The Guide section of PlayDotA Sort by rating. Use the highest rated guides. Still applicable to Dota 2.
    Dota 2 Stats A website for more in-depth stat tracking. Not maintained by Valve.
    PSA! JUNGLING ETIQUETTE
    PSA! SUPPORT ITEMS AND YOU
    PSA! U-U-U-UTILITY PART 1
    PSA! U-U-U-UTILITY PART 2
    PSA! GO AROUND AND KILL
    PSA! SO YOU THINK YOU CAN CARRY PART 1
    PSA! SO YOU THINK YOU CAN CARRY PART 2
    PSA! AREA OF INFLUENCE
    PSA! POWER TO THE PUSHER
    PSA! SUPPORT OUR SUPPORTS
    PSA! ROAM AGAINST THE MACHINE
    Reddit "Hero Discussion of the Day" Top voted posts generally have valuable info about the hero.

Archive
    I II III IV
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny x 12Dumb x 3Informative x 2Optimistic x 1Useful x 1Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Dennab
    September 2011
    10,298 Posts
    first xD

(User was banned for this post ("shitpost" - Orkel))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 18Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    6,234 Posts
    First post, as indeed I am first in everything!

(User was banned for this post ("shitpost" - Orkel))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Late x 9Disagree x 3Funny x 1Artistic x 1Agree x 1Winner x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    17,543 Posts

lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 9Late Late x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    6,234 Posts
    first xD
    god damn it fuck you ninja juggernaut :(

Edited:

my automerge!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

6. Post #6
    Dennab
    September 2011
    10,298 Posts
    god damn it fuck you ninja juggernaut :(
    If only I could scratch my nose.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    February 2008
    305 Posts
    How are people seeing the steam workshop/backpack stuff?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

8. Post #8
    l l
    lmao
    Dennab
    December 2011
    10,758 Posts
    Yay new thread, title is eh though.

Storm Spirit escapes a gank

Axe gets ganked by Sylla
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 23 (list)

9. Post #9
    101% Asian
    April 2007
    1,964 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    3,078 Posts
    i really like the idea of items. i would love to drop myself a badger corrior

11. Post #11
    wug
    Tumornator 2: Judgement Day
    June 2010
    2,724 Posts
    Sorry if i sound dumb here, but what's wrong with the other thread?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    101% Asian
    April 2007
    1,964 Posts
    Sorry if i sound dumb here, but what's wrong with the other thread?
    Big threads get locked at the end of the month
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

13. Post #13
    May 2011
    3,195 Posts
    Bristleback best hero in the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,707 Posts
    How come sven isn't played as a carry anymore?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    1,866 Posts
    How come sven isn't played as a carry anymore?
    I find him better as a support.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Lithuania Show Events

16. Post #16
    wug
    June 2010
    2,724 Posts
    Wow. Playing as spirit breaker, vengeful spirit gets massively butthurt because she was about to die, charged through the crowd of enemy heroes that were chasing her damaging them and stunning but not taking any damage myself,SAVING HER GODDAMN LIFE, so she decides to go on a full fledged rage and runs into their base and nether swaps me, but they decide vs is a dumb fuck and ignore me and everyone gangs up on vs who gets accused for feeding. Feels good, but that vs was such a dick. Complain about me saving your life, fucking dumbshit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,707 Posts
    I find him better as a support.
    How so? I've always played him as a carry (dota 1 & 2) and to me it makes more sense to play him as a str carry rather than stunbot support bitch. Late game i usually have 3000+ hp, 30+ armor, 0.5sec/attack, and ~500dmg with ult (things get hilarious with a daedalus).

Awesome team fights, awesome pushing power, fuckin tanky as shit. How is carry sven not viable?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    5,576 Posts
    Lich is the best hero in the game.

He also has the best voice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,707 Posts
    Bane has some of the best voice acting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    5,576 Posts
    Had this one game last night with a godlike Bounty Hunter.

In the end he was at something like 17/0 or such.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

21. Post #21
    October 2009
    12,674 Posts
    Had this one game last night with a godlike Bounty Hunter.

In the end he was at something like 17/0 or such.
    Really not that difficult. I've gone beyond godlike with him when buying incredibly stupid items. I don't enjoy playing him though. I hate playing invis heroes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    5,576 Posts
    I hate playing invis heroes.
    Me too, most of the time. I find Clinkz to be pretty fun though. (He does count as an invis hero, right?)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

23. Post #23
    October 2009
    12,674 Posts
    Me too, most of the time. I find Clinkz to be pretty fun though. (He does count as an invis hero, right?)
    Yah. I count any hero that relies deeply on invis to be a invis hero. I wouldn't consider mirana an invis hero even though she can turn her entire team invis.

24. Post #24
    wug
    June 2010
    2,724 Posts
    Lich is the best hero in the game.

He also has the best voice.
    Just finished a game as lich. Chain frost is fucking game breaking in team fights. What's that? you're winning a team fight? No! our tank now has bonus armor plus a 460 damage orb is bouncing between all of you and slowing you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    784 Posts
    Bane has some of the best voice acting.
    But juggernaut...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    August 2011
    628 Posts
    Just finished a game as lich. Chain frost is fucking game breaking in team fights. What's that? you're winning a team fight? No! our tank now has bonus armor plus a 460 damage orb is bouncing between all of you and slowing you.
    Better yet, get a friend to play as void.

Let him prepare a chrono, use ulti, watch the rainbow.

Awesome.

Also, this:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    1,832 Posts
    Typical Kunkka ult
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Funny Funny x 10Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    July 2010
    4,742 Posts
    I really hope Valve brings Gin Hammond and Gary Schwartz back in to do rival voices for Drow & Lich, respectively. Drow Ranger has some obvious rivals she should really have lines for - Rikki, Ursa, BH, etc. Lich does too, with heroes such as Crystal Maiden & Lina.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    October 2009
    12,674 Posts
    I think I can now say Earthshaker is my least favorite hero to play..It just feels awkward and feels like he attacks in slow motion. I mean it can be fun to land a good fissure enchant ult combo but it's not worth the headache to play him. I just randomed him and did okay and won the game but it was just annoying to play him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,955 Posts
    some bloke from the other thread posted:
    That's never going to happen. People have been asking for that option in tf2 since all the retarded cosmetics came out. Do we have the option to disable them? no.
    No, really, someone(can't remember if it was Cyborgmatt or another guy who delves into the files) found a command for disabling cosmetics.

I guess it's different for TF2 because it wasn't built with cosmetics in mind, and therefore the whole game has been jerry-rigged to work with it. However, with DOTA2 they could actually work all that stuff in now while the game's still in heavy development.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Flubascrub
    August 2009
    10,532 Posts
    PHANTOM LANCER COME TO ME

pls
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Qatar Show Events

32. Post #32
    MORDEKAISER ES #1 HUEHUE
    September 2009
    3,192 Posts

When Riki hits level 6 in lane
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 19Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    11,678 Posts

Why would you even Rosh when everyone on the enemy team is up with THAT team comp.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    I may have a BIG dick but that doesn't mean I deserve a BIG title
    December 2009
    5,460 Posts
    Da_Maniac best Lich officially.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    11,678 Posts
    Also why would you ever get Treads on the Spirit Bear.
    A complete waste of 450g.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    784 Posts
    Alchemists recommended items are fucking broken. Not a big surprise why he's the most losing hero. I'm wondering why theres no armlet and hood but hey there's mjollnir and vlad. Just genius.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    7,880 Posts
    I really hope Valve brings Gin Hammond and Gary Schwartz back in to do rival voices for Drow & Lich, respectively. Drow Ranger has some obvious rivals she should really have lines for - Rikki, Ursa, BH, etc. Lich does too, with heroes such as Crystal Maiden & Lina.
    Lich needs all these lines.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 9Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,563 Posts
    Treads give you an extra 10 attack speed and 5 move speed (nothing lol), as well as putting 3 items into one slot. It may not be the best, but I can understand why people might think it is a good idea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

39. Post #39
    l l
    lmao
    Dennab
    December 2011
    10,758 Posts
    Alchemists recommended items are fucking broken. Not a big surprise why he's the most losing hero. I'm wondering why theres no armlet and hood but hey there's mjollnir and vlad. Just genius.
    have you ever played alchemist and done well?

his recommended items are great and you can carry with just them, and like you can infer from the name they are "recommended" not "required"

40. Post #40
    July 2010
    696 Posts
    No, really, someone(can't remember if it was Cyborgmatt or another guy who delves into the files) found a command for disabling cosmetics.

I guess it's different for TF2 because it wasn't built with cosmetics in mind, and therefore the whole game has been jerry-rigged to work with it. However, with DOTA2 they could actually work all that stuff in now while the game's still in heavy development.
    It would be useful for casters, the game is hard enough to spectate without each hero having cosmetic variations.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events