1. Post #761
    Follow me on GitHub!
    June 2011
    2,101 Posts
    8800GT represent

best card ever
    I had the GTX. It was fine until the soldering melted.

I'm glad the game seems to be running fine for almost all of you, did you all zoom out as far as you could?

And I'll look into getting it working on Linux today.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #762
    TAIWANESE v.2

May 2011
    2,662 Posts
    Could I get some of you to test how well / if my city generator and renderer works on your machines?
    The city generated is very basic at the moment with only one type of building with no detail. I've only tested on nVidia cards so I expect some horrible bug on ATI cards. You should be getting a solid 60 FPS.

Download

readme.txt:
    Code:
    Keys:

WASD         - Move camera
      QE           - Rotate camera
      X            - Toggle interior view
      M            - Toggle map view
      Mouse Wheel  - Zoom
    Oh also G to generate a new city.
    This is what I get on my ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

3. Post #763
    Follow me on GitHub!
    June 2011
    2,101 Posts
    Doesn't work at all here.

Nvidia GTX 260 linux.

Also crashes when generating a new city
    Code:
    Unhandled Exception: System.Exception: OpenGL hates your guts: InvalidOperation
    at Zombles.Graphics.VertexBuffer.CheckForError () <0x0007a>
    at Zombles.Graphics.VertexBuffer.SetData<single> (single[]) <0x00091>
    at Zombles.Geometry.City.UpdateVertexBuffer () <0x0006e>
    at Zombles.Geometry.Generation.CityGenerator.Generate (int,int,System.Random) <0x0005f>
    I love the error message.
    Apparently your card only supports OpenGL 2.1, and I'm using some 3+ features. Since it works with robmaister's linux partition I'll assume it will work for pretty much everyone on linux who's card supports it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #764
    Jaykin Bacon: Episode 3
    May 2005
    2,469 Posts
    Beretta with bump map
    I hope that isn't 1:1 to what you're actually using in-game, unless they're third person.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

5. Post #765
    February 2008
    460 Posts

because fuck all logic

if turb sees this..
    Did you write your own lexer or are you using a library for it? If the latter, which library?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

6. Post #766
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,757 Posts
    Apparently your card only supports OpenGL 2.1, and I'm using some 3+ features. Since it works with robmaister's linux partition I'll assume it will work for pretty much everyone on linux who's card supports it.
    My card is getting that old? Oh dear :(
    However, I'm able to compile shaders that contain OpenGL 3.3 features on my card and they work fine. You sure that's the cause?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

7. Post #767
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,562 Posts
    Did you write your own lexer or are you using a library for it? If the latter, which library?
    He's written his own.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #768
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,571 Posts
    Finished my .net project that keeps track of dead homeless people for the city (g3t payd $$$). Finished all classes. Finished coldfusion(LOL) inspection app. Updated 3 websites. Now I'm at work with no more projects! I want to be home working on sanic game and isometric rpg game!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

9. Post #769
    Follow me on GitHub!
    June 2011
    2,101 Posts
    My card is getting that old? Oh dear :(
    However, I'm able to compile shaders that contain OpenGL 3.3 features on my card and they work fine. You sure that's the cause?
    I'll add some more debugging output later so we can find out the problem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #770
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,406 Posts
    The GTX 260 supports OpenGL 3.3 :|
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #771
    Follow me on GitHub!
    June 2011
    2,101 Posts
    The GTX 260 supports OpenGL 3.3 :|
    I was just going by this, I didn't check for any other sources.

12. Post #772
    August 2009
    1,101 Posts

Tone mapped and now with a skybox. At the top from left to right, albedo, normals, depth, lightmap, pre-post processing (pixelated since mipmaps are enabled to give me a cheapish way of getting average luminosity). There is some artifacting on the edges of the model :S
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

13. Post #773
    August 2010
    860 Posts
    Could I get some of you to test how well / if my city generator and renderer works on your machines?
    The city generated is very basic at the moment with only one type of building with no detail. I've only tested on nVidia cards so I expect some horrible bug on ATI cards. You should be getting a solid 60 FPS.

Download

readme.txt:
    Code:
    Keys:

Mouse Wheel  - Zoom
    Steady 60 fps, draws nothing
    Geforce 6600 256 MB

Edit: crashes when I press G
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events

14. Post #774
    PENISCORP DIRECTOR
    August 2007
    3,114 Posts
    So, for ages I've been trying to implement chat emoticons in Steam...

Close enough
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events Funny Funny x 24Optimistic Optimistic x 2Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #775
    April 2010
    2,361 Posts
    Steady 60 fps, draws nothing
    Geforce 6600 256 MB

Edit: crashes when I press G
    6600 only supports opengl 2.1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

16. Post #776
    August 2009
    1,101 Posts

Download

readme.txt:
    Code:
    Keys:

Mouse Wheel  - Zoom
    Solid 60FPS, GTX 560 Ti 1GB.

17. Post #777
    I gave ••••• enough money to buy a soda.
    May 2010
    1,425 Posts

Download

readme.txt:
    Code:
    Keys:

Mouse Wheel  - Zoom
    Stable 59.97 FPS, GT 530, city generating takes less that half-a-second.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

18. Post #778
    Team Hamster
    January 2012
    312 Posts
    I've started working on the UI of our game. Not a single line of code written yet, but made a fancy chart.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Artistic Artistic x 8Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #779
    Gold Member

October 2008
    3,838 Posts
    So there's been quite a bit of a commotion in the FPP group the past few days. I could explain it all but I made a video instead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner x 28Funny x 12Artistic x 2Dumb x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #780
    April 2010
    2,361 Posts
    1996002 triangles, runs at ~40ms/frame. Damn blurry texture, need to enable storing of custom resolution textures

Lighting calculated from a lightsource rather than being ambient.

Currently largely CPU bound due to sorting triangles to be tessellated, and getting rid of triangles not meant to be drawn. Tempted to disable tessellation entirely, although I could just sort it in multiple threads at once
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

21. Post #781
    September 2011
    1,489 Posts

Download

readme.txt:
    Code:
    Keys:

Mouse Wheel  - Zoom
    Doesn't work on 540m 1024mb.
    60 fps on integrated graphics card.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

22. Post #782
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,502 Posts
    So there's been quite a bit of a commotion in the FPP group the past few days. I could explain it all but I made a video instead.
    Just about sums it up, yeah.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

23. Post #783
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    I was just going by this, I didn't check for any other sources.
    Driver updates usually up the supported graphics API level.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #784
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,367 Posts

Apparently I'm doomed to mess up every "fix" I make to my terrain generator. I don't even know HOW this time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

25. Post #785
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    646 Posts

readme.txt:
    Code:
    Keys:

Mouse Wheel  - Zoom
    Gigabyte GTX 580 1536 mb, runs good 60 fps.

I really like it too, it's what project zomboid should have done since running through the same city all the time is boring.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

26. Post #786
    ASK ME ABOUT MY PLAYBOOK INSTEAD OF COLLEGE
    April 2011
    1,625 Posts
    8800GT represent

best card ever
    8800 GTS represent

I remember when I got it for $250 or something which was considered a great budget purchase compared to the GTX
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #787
    Hi Jo
    February 2009
    22,914 Posts

i got this functional, now I just need to add the scoring system and make it pretty instead of ugly

Edited:

theres more in the thread
    http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1182890
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 3Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

28. Post #788
    August 2009
    1,101 Posts
    8800 GTS represent

I remember when I got it for $250 or something which was considered a great budget purchase compared to the GTX
    I had a 9800GT till about 6 months ago, it had bad capacitors, needless to say it died. I've since got a GTX 560 Ti and life is good. In other news, my renderer is totally broken on 360 XNA, and I don't know why, and I'm beginning to not care. I'll probably just throw my mobile renderer at it when that's complete, and that should be fine...

29. Post #789

May 2011
    119 Posts
    I've been following this thread off and on for over a year now and I must say that I'm extremely impressed by all of you. Incredibly inspiring to see people that are so passionate about something.

Keep it up!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7Agree Agree x 3 (list)

30. Post #790
    PENISCORP DIRECTOR
    August 2007
    3,114 Posts
    And it works!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events Funny Funny x 24Winner Winner x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

31. Post #791
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,902 Posts
    8800GT represent

best card ever

Hell yeah. I still have an 8800 GTS in my main gaming rig (I'm poor as hell)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #792
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    1,549 Posts
    Ugh I don't think this is how variance shadow maps are supposed to work

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

33. Post #793

:D

Yes I screwed it up and now I need to start over again.

FCK IT time for Android. It's just the method of drawing and I have the feeling that's different on Android.
    Plus I really want to start making apps =3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

34. Post #794
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,969 Posts
    I'll add some more debugging output later so we can find out the problem.
    If you compile a debug build of OpenTK from SVN, you can enable per-method error checking with the context's "ErrorChecking" property.

Also a few other tips for better Linux/OSX support:

- instead of using the Keyboard and Mouse properties from GameWindow, use the GetState() methods from the static OpenTK.Input.Mouse/Keyboard classes. If you poll those properties a lot, you'll get some weird framerate issues.
    - Some OpenGL implementations default "SwapInterval" to 0 instead of 1, making vsync work incorrectly. In the constructor of your window, explicitly set it to 1: "this.Context.SwapInterval = 1;" and don't try to set vsync with the Run overloads that accept frame/update rates, the framerate jumps around if you have both enabled.
    - OpenTK from SVN has a new "CursorVisible" property in GameWindow, use that instead of System.Windows.Forms.Cursor.Hide()/Show() if you want to hide the cursor, as it actually works on Linux/OSX.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

35. Post #795
    Follow me on GitHub!
    June 2011
    2,101 Posts
    If you compile a debug build of OpenTK from SVN, you can enable per-method error checking with the context's "ErrorChecking" property.

Also a few other tips for better Linux/OSX support:

- instead of using the Keyboard and Mouse properties from GameWindow, use the GetState() methods from the static OpenTK.Input.Mouse/Keyboard classes. If you poll those properties a lot, you'll get some weird framerate issues.
    - Some OpenGL implementations default "SwapInterval" to 0 instead of 1, making vsync work incorrectly. In the constructor of your window, explicitly set it to 1: "this.Context.SwapInterval = 1;" and don't try to set vsync with the Run overloads that accept frame/update rates, the framerate jumps around if you have both enabled.
    - OpenTK from SVN has a new "CursorVisible" property in GameWindow, use that instead of System.Windows.Forms.Cursor.Hide()/Show() if you want to hide the cursor, as it actually works on Linux/OSX.
    Thanks for this, I'll be sure to switch to / implement all of these tomorrow.

36. Post #796
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Programming King Programming King x 4Useful Useful x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #797
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    3,175 Posts
    Ugh, just when I finally fix something, I break another thing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #798
    October 2009
    1,994 Posts
    Ugh, just when I finally fix something, I break another thing
    You're lucky. I usually end up screwing both.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Egypt Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #799
    Team Hamster
    December 2009
    588 Posts
    Taking an engine design course. We have to write a game engine. An actual game engine, not some shitty half-assed framework that we used for the first iteration of dystopia machina (the game with all the half naked people).

We wrote out a list of stuff we're gonna do for the course, and then stuff for "senior project" which is making a full game.

Forever alone in physics team. Anyway, someone added boob physics. All our characters (all 1 of them) are male but I'll see what I can do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 16Funny Funny x 11 (list)

40. Post #800
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    It's no problem, just make your character have tits and explain that he once had testicular cancer and everysince they had to remove his balls, his estrogen levels were rising causing him to grow man-boobs which also produce small amounts of milk.

What a twist.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 9Funny Funny x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)