itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts
    What if I don't want to be your friend?
    It joins the FP Programmer chat.

Edited:

Lamest pageking ever
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #922
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,969 Posts
    I don't see much jpeg rape
    Look at the hill in the background. I probably notice it a lot more than you guys though, since I've seen the full uncompressed version as well as the game itself.

Oh and by the way, adding a screenshot key to your game makes it SO much more convenient to grab screenshots of the game, and it's extremely simple to do, at least with C#/OpenTK:

using (Bitmap bmp = new Bitmap(ClientSize.Width, ClientSize.Height))
    {
    	BitmapData data = bmp.LockBits(new Rectangle(0, 0, ClientSize.Width, ClientSize.Height), ImageLockMode.ReadWrite, System.Drawing.Imaging.PixelFormat.Format24bppRgb);
    	GL.ReadPixels(0, 0, ClientSize.Width, ClientSize.Height, OpenTK.Graphics.OpenGL.PixelFormat.Bgr, PixelType.UnsignedByte, data.Scan0);
    	bmp.UnlockBits(data);

bmp.RotateFlip(RotateFlipType.RotateNoneFlipY);
    	bmp.Save(fileName, ImageFormat.Png);
    }
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #923
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,320 Posts
    After the AP exam my teacher wants the 4 of us to make our own program of sorts. I decided I would make a simple platformer game where the core mechanic was the ability to flip gravity. I started to work on the art work with my shit drawing, here's the map that will show up when selecting a level:

I have no idea what I wanna do for a splash screen. I don't have a name for the game, so a logo would suck but I also don't know how to make it in the likes of SMW where a computer plays Mario across a level.

Also my game spans across 3 regions but I have no idea what the white region will be(The brown area will be a castle, green a forest(yes I'm going to update the picture some more)).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #924
    October 2009
    1,994 Posts
    Installing linux to use valgrind..

I wish it worked on Windows.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Egypt Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

5. Post #925

April 2012
    87 Posts
    ewww jpg compression... anyone know of an image host that doesn't jpg compress everything?
    why are you inlining a 1920x1080 image anyway?

Edited:

a png, too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

6. Post #926
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts

Well that only took about six hours of screaming frustration to port.
    Now I just need to find out why the mouse input doesn't work, what's wrong with that wall and why the font loader seems to think all my files are 1 byte shorter than they actually are.
    Also, I was getting bored of my code working exactly the same on multiple platforms. I'm glad Apple were kind enough to introduce me to MACRO HELL.

Edited:

...Hey, where the hell is the floor and FPS counter? Argh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

7. Post #927
    July 2008
    438 Posts
    you have defines to use the shortest version of the code for different compilers but that makes the code like 3 times as long(and confusing as fuck), why not just use iterators?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #928
    Fat & Ugly
    October 2009
    792 Posts
    Does anyone here know of any 2d game development libraries for java? When I google it there seems to be so many choices and I was just wondering if anyone uses any and had a recommendation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #929
    Facepunch Staff
    March 2010
    2,580 Posts
    Link to theme please?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #930
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts
    you have defines to use the shortest version of the code for different compilers but that makes the code like 3 times as long(and confusing as fuck), why not just use iterators?
    Because I like Lambdas and I'll be damned if I'll let a stupid bug in a toolchain that's due for an update soon on a poncy platform I never intended to support in the first place stop me using core language features.
    I suspect I will disagree with this when I next look at that code but fuck the future.

Edited:

Link to theme please?
    desert.vim
    try :colorscheme desert first though, it should be preinstalled.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

11. Post #931
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,965 Posts
    Because I like Lambdas and I'll be damned if I'll let a stupid bug in a toolchain that's due for an update soon on a poncy platform I never intended to support in the first place stop me using core language features.
    I suspect I will disagree with this when I next look at that code but fuck the future.
    Or utilise inheritance. Have a CollisionManagerApple etc that do platform specific tasks. Then the only #ifdef you need is when creating the instance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #932

February 2007
    112 Posts
    Does anyone here know of any 2g game development libraries for java? When I google it there seems to be so many choices and I was just wondering if anyone uses any and had a recommendation.
    Dude, check out libGdx it's a badass library for a lot of game-related things with java. Also when you're ready with your game it makes porting to other platforms (mainly Android) a lot easier.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #933
    April 2010
    2,361 Posts
    Well, with the exception of two strange, horizontal and vertical lines, my new rendering method works fairly well

When i say fairly well, i mean that rendering time has gone from 80 ms, to 40 ms. There is now no cpu involvement either, and no data needs to be read back to host at any point.

Image (2 million triangles roughly)

It wasn't the most complex change. The kernel that writes depth information now also writes interpolated lighting normals and UVW coordinates to two screenwidth*screenheight textures. Depth information is also written, though to a regular buffer rather than a texture (need of atomic operations)

These textures are passed to the next kernel which runs threads for every pixel on the screen, then calculates lighting and colour information based on the buffers passed previously

This is a massive improvement over the previous "one thread per triangle approach" as the load is now always balanced properly, and there aren't a lot of wasted non drawn pixels having their depth values checked in the slower kernel

Edit:
    The thing keeps disappearing as well which is unhelpful. I suspect memory corruption somewhere is causing these issues
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

14. Post #934
    May 2011
    73 Posts
    Hooray! OBJ file loading! (Excuse the lag ;)
    removed

Edit: Dropbox bandwidth limit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

15. Post #935
    May 2012
    7 Posts
    So I am working currently on a cool gayme its called "hi postal"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #936
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,406 Posts
    Now I just need to find out why the mouse input doesn't work, what's wrong with that wall and why the font loader seems to think all my files are 1 byte shorter than they actually are.
    Also, I was getting bored of my code working exactly the same on multiple platforms. I'm glad Apple were kind enough to introduce me to MACRO HELL.

Edited:

...Hey, where the hell is the floor and FPS counter? Argh.
    Wait a few days for LLVM 3.1 to come out (release date is currently the 14th). Clang finally has lambdas. Finally.

(also, why not just use a functor in the meantime? You won't be ripping your hair out )
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

17. Post #937
    Team Hamster
    January 2012
    312 Posts
    I hate to ask this here, but it's a small question with a quick one-word answer:

What do you all use for webm recording, as seen in the OP?
    I usually record in .wmv format, convert it using this tool and then upload it to my ftp-server.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

18. Post #938
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 27Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

19. Post #939
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,125 Posts
    I'd like to do things with it but I don't know the slightest bit of javascript which makes it a bit difficult.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

20. Post #940
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,498 Posts
    When can we expect to see the first GNU/JSOS distribution?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

21. Post #941
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    When can we expect to see the first GNU/JSOS distribution?
    With enough patience, I think you can actually start doing one now. Although there's no Xorg-like system for it yet (?)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events

22. Post #942
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    Although there's no Xorg-like system for it yet (?)
    And hopefully not ever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

23. Post #943
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,498 Posts
    wayland.js
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #944
    I fucking love eggs!!!
    July 2007
    1,991 Posts
    Working with my Server->Client networking for maps and entities and going for an endless world type of map generation, My idea so far, is to piece the map together in chunks on the client using the seed ( which will always be the same ) so all terrain will be generated on the client, and the server will only send things that have "changed" for that specific chunk of the map ( persistent world ), Does this sound like a good approach to this sort of thing? Or are there better more efficient ways of doing it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

25. Post #945
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    With enough patience, I think you can actually start doing one now. Although there's no Xorg-like system for it yet (?)
    It's got a mode 13h driver at the moment (320x200, 256 colors) but that's not really enough for a GUI.

Edited:

And hopefully not ever.
    :c
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #946
    August 2009
    1,101 Posts
    To get anything better your going to need realmode and VBE.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #947
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    To get anything better your going to need realmode and VBE.
    I can execute machine code in real mode with Kernel.realExec()

Here's how I swap to mode 13h: https://github.com/charliesome/jsos/...vers/vga.js#L8

Edited:

If you're knowledgable about this kind of stuff I'd be thrilled if you could contribute some better VGA code!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

28. Post #948
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    wayland.js
    THIS I would like to see. Although it probably wouldn't be wayland.
    My point wasn't about Xorg or Wayland though, but just a system like X or Wayland.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events

29. Post #949
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    geeui.js
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 47Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #950
    Person
    June 2008
    5,743 Posts

It would be wondrous
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree x 10Funny x 6Agree x 4Dumb x 2Optimistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #951
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,450 Posts
    today I spent learning regex - a tool whose usefulness i've long acknowledged but which I'd never adopted due to how incomprehensible it looked.

learning to write regular expressions did not unfortunately teach me to read them
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 5Useful Useful x 1 (list)

32. Post #952
    Person
    June 2008
    5,743 Posts
    today I spent learning regex - a tool whose usefulness i've long acknowledged but which I'd never adopted due to how incomprehensible it looked.

learning to write regular expressions did not unfortunately teach me to read them
    It never really gets easier.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

33. Post #953
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    It never really gets easier.
    yes it does, you're just not very good at them
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Zing Zing x 18Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #954
    October 2009
    1,994 Posts
    Well, I spent most of last night installing Debian with a dual boot setup, after I installed the NVIDIA drivers it stopped recognising my second monitor (the one I installed vertically), I tried to fix it by editing my X configuration file to no avail.. grrr.

This sucks, but I guess I'll have to make-do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Egypt Show Events

35. Post #955
    Person
    June 2008
    5,743 Posts
    yes it does, you're just not very good at them
    I meant you can't just look at a regex and instantly understand what it does; it still requires a good amount of thought.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

36. Post #956
    Hates php
    May 2006
    2,415 Posts
    Anyone know of some popular applications made in .net that aren't free? Just wondering as I don't know of many(I use mainly freeware). I have a feeling digging through the 0day releases is going to come up with a bunch of obscure applications that no one uses.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

37. Post #957
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,498 Posts
    I meant you can't just look at a regex and instantly understand what it does; it still requires a good amount of thought.
    Have you tried actually reading the regex? Outside of parenthesis balancing it's not too difficult to read unless it's a particularly lovecraftian regex.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

38. Post #958
    Person
    June 2008
    5,743 Posts
    Have you tried actually reading the regex? Outside of parenthesis balancing it's not too difficult to read unless it's a particularly lovecraftian regex.
    It's not DIFFICULT, but it still requires thought.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

39. Post #959
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    1,214 Posts
    It's not DIFFICULT, but it still requires thought.
    Pretty sure you can apply that flawed logic to anything.

Take not shitting yourself, for example. It's not difficult, it just requires some thought.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 20Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #960
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,478 Posts

I hate making regexs, they're so useful it's insane, but it's like one of those things that I don't use often enough to really keep in my brain. So I am always sort of relearning regex. I still keep like the 'gist' of how it works but forget the syntax rules and such.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)