1. Post #1
    The electrical shock delivered to the chest by a Taser can lead to cardiac arrest and sudden death, according to a new study, although it is unknown how frequently such deaths occur.

The study, which analyzed detailed records from the cases of eight people who went into cardiac arrest after receiving shocks from a Taser X26 fired at a distance, is likely to add to the debate about the safety of the weapons. Seven of the people in the study died; one survived.

Advocacy groups like Amnesty International have argued that Tasers, the most widely used of a class of weapons known as electrical control devices, are potentially lethal and that stricter rules should govern their use.

But proponents maintain that the devices — which are used by more than 16,700 law enforcement agencies in 107 countries, said Steve Tuttle, a spokesman for Taser — pose less risk to civilians than firearms and are safer for police officers than physically tackling a suspect. The results of studies of the devices’ safety in humans have been mixed.

Medical experts said on Monday that the new report, published online on Monday in the journal Circulation, makes clear that electrical shocks from Tasers, which shoot barbs into the clothes and skin, can in some cases set off irregular heart rhythms, leading to cardiac arrest.

“This is no longer arguable,” said Dr. Byron Lee, a cardiologist and director of the electrophysiology laboratory at the University of California, San Francisco. “This is a scientific fact. The national debate should now center on whether the risk of sudden death with Tasers is low enough to warrant widespread use by law enforcement.”

The author of the study, Dr. Douglas P. Zipes, a cardiologist and professor emeritus at Indiana University, has served as a witness for plaintiffs in lawsuits against Taser — a fact that Mr. Tuttle said tainted the findings. “Clearly, Dr. Zipes has a strong financial bias based on his career as an expert witness,” Mr. Tuttle said in an e-mail, adding that a 2011 National Institute of Justice report concluded there was no evidence that Tasers posed a significant risk of cardiac arrest “when deployed reasonably.”

However, Dr. Robert J. Myerburg, a professor of medicine in cardiology at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, said that Dr. Zipes’s role in litigation also gave him extensive access to data from medical records, police records and autopsy reports. The study, he said, had persuaded him that in at least some of the eight cases, the Taser shock was responsible for the cardiac arrests.

“I think when we put together the preponderance of what we know about electrical shocks with his observations, there’s enough to say that the phenomenon occurs,” he said. But he added, “I suspect the incidence of these fatal events is going to be low and can be minimized by the precautions.”

Police officers, he said, should take precautions when using the weapons and avoid multiple shocks, prolonged shocks and shocks to the chest.

“I’d rather see Tasers out there than bullets flying around,” Dr. Myerburg said. “But if you have a choice, if the circumstances allow you to avoid either, then physical restraint should be considered.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/01/he...ml?_r=1&ref=us

Fuck, everytime there's a electricity related thread there'll be shitload of shitty puns
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Zing Zing x 46Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    May 2011
    110 Posts
    -snip- Terrible pun, I'm sorry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 16Funny Funny x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    September 2007
    3,253 Posts
    Well this new is certainly
    heartstopping
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 18Disagree Disagree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    The King Of Zing
    September 2009
    14,899 Posts
    Those puns are revolting.

On topic though, you'd think it would be common knowledge that Non Lethal doesn't equal "Can't kill"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 26Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 2Zing Zing x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    Dennab
    July 2009
    2,787 Posts
    These kinds of news really take the life out of you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,322 Posts
    Well that's shocking.
    Well this new is certainly
    heartstopping
    You guys are the reason the mods start banning people for puns for a few weeks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 69Funny Funny x 5 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    7,239 Posts
    On a related manner, tasing someone doused in pepper spray can also be lethal, what with all the combusting into flames and whatnot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts

(User was banned for this post ("This is not a comment, a joke or in fact a useful post of any sort" - verynicelady))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Dumb x 8Zing x 7Disagree x 5Funny x 3Agree x 1Useful x 1Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    I can't think of a good title.
    May 2010
    17,136 Posts
    Edited, apparently puns are back now. I was shocked to hear about them changing it back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

10. Post #10
    April 2007
    5,106 Posts
    On a related manner, tasing someone doused in pepper spray can also be lethal, what with all the combusting into flames and whatnot.
    "What are you doing man, you've already used 2 spare batteries on him for that thing!"
    "Don't worry man, it's non-lethal. He will stop screaming after the third battery."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Belgium Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

11. Post #11
    I am no doctor but I'm quite sure taser anywhere can kill you if you are old/have bad heart.
    But it's still one of the less lethal weapons available to police. So far there is no alternative.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts
    I thought they changed the designation to "less lethal" a while back?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,401 Posts
    So what now then? Back to man handling and baton bashing suspects?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

14. Post #14
    I'm so Jewish you can suck my nuts.
    Dennab
    April 2009
    9,441 Posts
    Or you could try not to hit them in the chest?

15. Post #15
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Optimistic x 7Friendly x 5Funny x 3Agree x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,401 Posts
    Or you could try not to hit them in the chest?
    Clearly you don't understand what you're talking about, let me give you a quick run down:

Police officers are trained to aim at the center mass, the torso. It's the largest part of the body, and doesn't move as much as the rest of it does, this minimizes the chance the shot will miss. In addition, a Taser fires 2 prongs, both of these need to connect for it to work, if only one connects then nothing will happen. Reloading a taser takes a few seconds, so unless you have a more advanced model, you only get one shot. Even aimed at the chest these misses happen, so if you were to aim at the legs, the chance it will fail is very high.

Trying to aim elsewhere is not only impractical, but it also goes against training.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    September 2007
    3,253 Posts
    Giant airborne cage drops.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 9Funny Funny x 4 (list)

18. Post #18
    Jsm
    "Belgium is pretty much a non-country"
    June 2006
    8,032 Posts
    I thought they changed the designation to "less lethal" a while back?
    I was under the impression that nothing used in this capacity (tasers, baton rounds, CS gas etc) has ever been designated "non lethal" because there's always that risk.

19. Post #19
    I was under the impression that nothing used in this capacity (tasers, baton rounds, CS gas etc) has ever been designated "non lethal" because there's always that risk.
    I find that kinda stupid because anything can kill you. Less lethal bath foam, less lethal butter...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,401 Posts
    I find that kinda stupid because anything can kill you. Less lethal bath foam, less lethal butter...
    It only makes sense that death would be a possible side effect to fucking around with bodily functions to incapacitate people.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,657 Posts
    Well, i guess being Captain Obvious is slightly better than being so stupid that you can't understand how something like this works at all.

Wait? Can a rating be considered a pun?

22. Post #22
    INFERIOR CROCODILE ALLIGATOR
    January 2010
    1,413 Posts
    see kids

this is why you aim for the dick
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,266 Posts
    Man congratulations first 4 posters. You managed to make me sort of agree with the mods decision to ban puns.

Edited:

Except minilandstan. I liked yours.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    891 Posts
    To be honest I'd much prefer getting shocked to getting shot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Singapore Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    October 2009
    6,412 Posts
    Watt?

I thought this was known already?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    January 2009
    21,466 Posts
    In other news batons hurt and mace stings.

27. Post #27
    I'm star plucked at this news...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    haha oh boy here we go again
    November 2011
    593 Posts
    To anyone that doesn't know how these work:
    Tasers (or any similar device, since Taser is technically a brand name) shoot out two very small prongs using compressed gas. They reach between 15 and 35 feet, depending on the cartridge type. Both prongs usually need to penetrate the skin somewhere on the body, and in many cases they get stuck in thick jackets and have either greatly reduced effect or none at all. Depending on the model used, it will send pulses of generally 50,000 volts (at a very low current, which is why it rarely causes electrocution). This tenses up the muscles in the body, especially around the area directly between the two prongs.
    It's a difficult choice - rare chance of death using Tasers, or high chance of severe injury using batons and "hard" touching (i.e., punching, kicking, etc.) but Tasers have a far, far less than 1% chance of death - the media seems to talk about Taser deaths so much that people believe that being tased is like the electric chair.
    But, most importantly, the incidents of firearm discharge offset by Taser use is lower than deaths caused by Tasers. Most close-range stand-offs have Tasers as well as firearms, and if someone jumps up and runs at an officer in a situation like that, they would be tased. However, in the old days, they would almost always be shot, whether or not they had a weapon (it is easy for the cop to say the suspect was "possibly armed" and posed a threat to his life).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    December 2009
    5,102 Posts

30. Post #30
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,222 Posts
    So is that s why police in Europe don't carry firearms?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    January 2009
    21,466 Posts
    So is that s why police in Europe don't carry firearms?
    Who the fuck told you that?

Czech Republic is central Europe most cops with exceptions of road police and such have guns.

And I am pretty sure that's same through most of Europe.

32. Post #32
    This probably isn't a good idea
    October 2007
    3,400 Posts
    Who the fuck told you that?

Czech Republic is central Europe most cops with exceptions of road police and such have guns.

And I am pretty sure that's same through most of Europe.
    I think he means British Police, as they are normally unarmed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    4,892 Posts
    I am no doctor but I'm quite sure taser anywhere can kill you if you are old/have bad heart.
    But it's still one of the less lethal weapons available to police. So far there is no alternative.
    Second pistol that fires rubber bullets? Sounds safer than having a few hundred thousand volts course through you.

34. Post #34
    January 2009
    21,466 Posts
    Right I forgot, UK = Europe, USA = world.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Bronze-age Right-wing Delusional Retard
    April 2011
    754 Posts
    British Police normally use their fists or batons. Some carry tasers and a special branch carry Sub-Machineguns.

Even though the British police normally use their Fists or Batons they are rather less violent than the US Police and the rest of Europe. They give people multiple warnings and normally don't use any kind of violence. For example there was an old guy with a machete in the street, they didn't want to tase him because it might stop his heart so they went in with batons and riot shields. They knocked the machete out his hand and just cuffed him then took him away. I'm sure in the US they would tase him within two seconds then beat him up on the floor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #36
    White Fusion will love him forever and ever~
    January 2012
    10,923 Posts
    Second pistol that fires rubber bullets? Sounds safer than having a few hundred thousand volts course through you.
    It actually isn't, a rubber bullets can break ribs, and a shot to the head can kill.

Edited:

British Police normally use their fists or batons. Some carry tasers and a special branch carry Sub-Machineguns.
    Pretty much the entire PSNI is armed to some degree as well.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    4,892 Posts
    It actually isn't, a rubber bullets can break ribs, and a shot to the head can kill.

Edited:

Pretty much the entire PSNI is armed to some degree as well.
    Hm, guess so, probably wouldn't be too cheap tweaking them to go even slower for minimal injury.

38. Post #38
    Zoo
    I CHEW GRINT LIKE IT'S MY FUCKIN' B-DAY
    October 2008
    967 Posts
    Hopefully this will lean toward retraining officers on how they use their weapons. Currently, officers treat tasers as a method of incapacitating suspects. This is not how tasers should be used at all. Tasers should be used only as a substitute for when a firearm should be used. If an officer has no intention of using a firearm, then he should have no intention of using a taser. More on this:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,004 Posts
    I've yet to see a single video of someone dying from getting shot by a tazer. I've personally been tazed by a handheld tazer and while it wasn't the most pleasant of experiences, unless you have preexisting conditions I highly doubt they can all of a sudden give you a heart attack. Where is the actual evidence for these claims? Not saying that they aren't dangerous, because they are, but I do think we should do a little digging before we jump on the "fuck da police and their tazers" bandwagon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

40. Post #40
    Zoo
    I CHEW GRINT LIKE IT'S MY FUCKIN' B-DAY
    October 2008
    967 Posts
    I've yet to see a single video of someone dying from getting shot by a tazer. I've personally been tazed by a handheld tazer and while it wasn't the most pleasant of experiences, unless you have preexisting conditions I highly doubt they can all of a sudden give you a heart attack. Where is the actual evidence for these claims? Not saying that they aren't dangerous, because they are, but I do think we should do a little digging before we jump on the "fuck da police and their tazers" bandwagon.
    You really need a video? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taser_s...d_to_Taser_use
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)