1. Post #1
    January 2012
    57 Posts
    The anti-vaccination movement is a term loosely referring to the fringe groups that advocate parents should deny their children vaccines. These groups vary in size, however the spreading of misinformation is most often always involving the relation between autism and vaccination. This began in 1998 when the flawed study was conducted by a British medical journal, but was later retracted a council that regulates Britain's doctors and ruled that the study's author acted dishonestly and unethically. In recent years the anti-vaccine movement has gained momentum and whereas one and FOUR parents believe there is a causal link believe vaccines and autism based on a flawed study and all of the leading health organizations including the CDC and the NIH say that there is absolutely no link, yet still there are websites and people spreading misinformation.. Preventing a children from inoculation is child abuse; at the very least these parents should be warned and/or heavily encouraged to vaccinate their kids, and at these parents should be shamed for endangering everyone. Children who are not vaccinated are a danger because in order for a population to shield itself effectively, 90 to 95 percent of its children need to be inoculated. There have already been outbreaks in communities, ranging from measles to small pox because of the recent rise of parents refusing to inoculate their children. While these groups who openly denounce vaccines have every right to speak, there should be an even greater emphasis on parents to verify whether or not a claim is scientifically backed.

sources
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35638229.../#.T6HrkqtST08
    http://sciencebasedpharmacy.wordpres...cine-movement/
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35197332.../#.T6HsKqtST08
    http://autism.about.com/od/causesofa...dovaccines.htm
    http://www.kpho.com/story/15898583/c...nated-children

2. Post #2
    Jaded
    April 2010
    2,200 Posts
    It's their choice at any rate, and some parents believe religion is a better cure than science. They just need to keep learning the hard way that it isn't so.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    9,187 Posts
    It's their choice at any rate, and some parents believe religion is a better cure than science. They just need to keep learning the hard way that it isn't so.
    Except, the problem is, they are causing damage to the society by deterring the "Herd Immunity".

4. Post #4
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    It should be enforced as law. Leaving vaccination like this to be a choice is inherently dangerous.

It is allowing diseases once being eradicated, to make a comeback as people are not vaccinated. I hold nothing but the utmost disgust for anti-vaccine peddling fools.

5. Post #5
    Jaded
    April 2010
    2,200 Posts
    It should be enforced as law. Leaving vaccination like this to be a choice is inherently dangerous.

It is allowing diseases once being eradicated, to make a comeback as people are not vaccinated. I hold nothing but the utmost disgust for anti-vaccine peddling fools.
    Enforcing this as a law logically makes sense, and it should be that way, but somewhere along the way it'll turn into a religious issue. It's reasons like this you can't give someone medical help (unless it's life-threatening such as choking) without their permission. Stupid, but it's just how it is.

6. Post #6
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    25,227 Posts
    Except, the problem is, they are causing damage to the society by deterring the "Herd Immunity".

Enforcing this as a law logically makes sense, and it should be that way, but somewhere along the way it'll turn into a religious issue. It's reasons like this you can't give someone medical help (unless it's life-threatening such as choking) without their permission. Stupid, but it's just how it is.

Shouldn't it be the right of the individual to reject medical aid, even if it's best for them?

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    9,187 Posts
    Shouldn't it be the right of the individual to reject medical aid, even if it's best for them?
    It harms others. That's like saying that the person has a right to blow themselves up in a suicide, while they are standing in the middle of a large crowd.

8. Post #8
    November 2009
    2,115 Posts
    Ugh, I don't like people who try to stretch a connection that isn't there.
    "I have no idea how things work, so I'll list a random disorder and say it bridges a connection"
    They're no better than Ancient Aliens

9. Post #9
    February 2009
    2,740 Posts
    Wow,anti-vaccination?
    That's ridiculous in every way.
    Why would people protest the eradication of potentially fatal diseases?

10. Post #10
    Many diseases that have vaccines, are nearly fatal or have a high chance to cripple the person for life. (Polio for example)
    There's no reason you shouldn't get a vaccine in my opinion.

11. Post #11
    Official worst poster 2011
    June 2007
    8,557 Posts
    I personally only get vaccinations for things like what Amaurus said.

Flu shots? Fuck that shit, puts you in the middle of a crowd trying to get in line for it (Who knows what disease could be getting carried in a huge crowd), and it's going to be worthless in a few months when strain 589210893291080832109 comes around the corner.

But really, there are still people in the world who think vaccinations give Downs or Autism? Nope, genes give Autism and Downs. It's not like there's an Illuminati plot to make everyone autistic.

Just going to say this though, mandatory vaccinations is starting to get into the territory of infringing on free will. I can understand if it's required to be able to make use of a certain service (Say, the NHS), but a outright requiring people to be vaccinated no matter what is a bit iffy.

12. Post #12
    Don't Worry, I'm a Marine
    October 2005
    3,002 Posts
    That shit shouldn't be law. Yeah it's a smart idea to get immunized, and I am mandated to because Im in the military, but if I don't want the immunizations then I won't get them. That being law would be placing too much power in the hands of the government in order for the greater good of people. People should do things to make the government better, the government shouldn't get deeply involved in peoples lives to make their life better.

13. Post #13
    February 2009
    25,227 Posts
    It harms others. That's like saying that the person has a right to blow themselves up in a suicide, while they are standing in the middle of a large crowd.
    Except, if you get sick, you don't do your best to infect as many as you can on purpose.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    4,051 Posts
    Many diseases that have vaccines, are nearly fatal or have a high chance to cripple the person for life. (Polio for example)
    There's no reason you shouldn't get a vaccine in my opinion.
    except the polio vaccine has given people polio

15. Post #15
    February 2009
    25,227 Posts
    Don't some vaccines contain part of the disease itself so to help build an immunity to it?

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,124 Posts
    Only the people who don't the vaccination have to worry about it spreading. So I'm not really sure how this is at all similar.

17. Post #17
    For the sake of this actually being a debate and not a one sided bash fest, I will play the pro anti-vaccinationist (not sure what they would term themselves?).

To me the idea of anti vaccination could have possible benefits through the idea that by ingesting all these vaccines you are actually weakening your body's natural defenses, both through the quick structure changing of virus's and by eliminating certain diseases you make room for a less effective one to evolve into something more deadly. Think of it this way, recently people have been warned to stop ingesting so many cold medications as this actually builds a tolerance in the virus that you are afflicted with, making medications useless. Another example, is people who do not regularly go outdoors often are much more sensitive to allergens and other particles, often causing their nose to swell shut and become runny even under meager conditions. They are not exposed regularly to certain things and thus they become weakened in that aspect. We consume a drug for almost every problem now a days and the possibility of us becoming dependent on them also in itself creates a weakness if some unforeseen consequence happens and we lose these drugs.

To my actual opinion, I feel to be in a very neutral stance on all of this as I feel certain vaccinations are necessary, but I do find our reliance on drugs a bit unnerving. I try to avoid constant use of cold medicines and other sickness reducing medications unless they are absolutely necessary to helping myself get better.

18. Post #18
    March 2012
    1,701 Posts
    Wow,anti-vaccination?
    That's ridiculous in every way.
    Why would people protest the eradication of potentially fatal diseases?
    Well people have their opinions on how vaccinations affects their family and research, and how bad it maybe. My dad's a big no no on vaccinations and how it harms us, and most the children.

19. Post #19
    To me the idea of anti vaccination could have possible benefits through the idea that by ingesting all these vaccines you are actually weakening your body's natural defenses, both through the quick structure changing of virus's and by eliminating certain diseases you make room for a less effective one to evolve into something more deadly. Think of it this way, recently people have been warned to stop ingesting so many cold medications as this actually builds a tolerance in the virus that you are afflicted with, making medications useless. Another example, is people who do not regularly go outdoors often are much more sensitive to allergens and other particles, often causing their nose to swell shut and become runny even under meager conditions. They are not exposed regularly to certain things and thus they become weakened in that aspect. We consume a drug for almost every problem now a days and the possibility of us becoming dependent on them also in itself creates a weakness if some unforeseen consequence happens and we lose these drugs.
    So your point is that by giving the body immunity to a disease, we're weakening the immune system? Nice logic.

That's not the reason people are told not to take antibiotics for colds. The reason is that antibiotics don't do shit against a cold anyway.

MMR is a whole different kettle of fish to cold and flue anyway, the tradeoff of the vaccine is completely worth the downsides.

Edited:

Well people have their opinions on how vaccinations affects their family and research, and how bad it maybe. My dad's a big no no on vaccinations and how it harms us, and most the children.
    his opinions aren't worth shit

20. Post #20
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    NO NO NO NO.

The ignorance in this post is overwhelming to say the least.

Do me a favour and tell me how much polio cases have declined in the past 50 years.

21. Post #21
    January 2012
    484 Posts
    Being very pro-vaccination, people in positions of authority who try to stop vaccinations piss me off greatly. One that makes me especially mad is an argument (made by religious people, usually) that cervical cancer vaccines will encourage promiscuity, which is pretty much total horseshit.

22. Post #22
    March 2012
    1,701 Posts
    So your point is that by giving the body immunity to a disease, we're weakening the immune system? Nice logic.

That's not the reason people are told not to take antibiotics for colds. The reason is that antibiotics don't do shit against a cold anyway.

MMR is a whole different kettle of fish to cold and flue anyway, the tradeoff of the vaccine is completely worth the downsides.

Edited:

his opinions aren't worth shit
    Then you have alot to waste.

23. Post #23
    Then you have alot to waste.
    what

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,938 Posts
    I didn't get all of my vaccines as a child. Simply didn't need them, I seem to have rolled a 12 with regard to immune systems, and my family couldn't afford the doctor's visit to get them anyway.

That being said there's no reason to be opposed to them. Being unable to afford them is one thing, that can't be helped, but if you can get them you should.

25. Post #25
    January 2010
    365 Posts

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    20,184 Posts
    I didn't get all of my vaccines as a child. Simply didn't need them, I seem to have rolled a 12 with regard to immune systems, and my family couldn't afford the doctor's visit to get them anyway.

That being said there's no reason to be opposed to them. Being unable to afford them is one thing, that can't be helped, but if you can get them you should.
    What country are you in? Most European nations have them for free, and iirc the US distributes them for free for serious diseases or potential epidemics.

27. Post #27
    queen of vphysics.dll
    April 2012
    152 Posts
    I just think of the utter shit that was the swine fly vaccine whenever I think of this, suppesedly it caused narcolepsy in rare cases and like 1/5 of all who took it (including me) got sick for like 2 weeks from it

Swine Flu was the most blown up thing ever

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,592 Posts
    Don't some vaccines contain part of the disease itself so to help build an immunity to it?
    a vaccine is a dead form of the virus for your body to build anti-bodies to it

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    That video is bullshit. It says that there is mercury in the vaccines.

What they are really talking about is thiomersal, a preservative. Just because there is mercury in a compound it doesn't mean that it has the same properties as mercury.
    I do think that vaccinating everyone against dangerous and potentially lethal diseases is for the persons own good and should be mandatory.

We already got rid of smallpox via vaccination, I do hope to see more viruses get eradicated in my lifetime.

Here is also a very good video on the subject.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    9,187 Posts
    Except, if you get sick, you don't do your best to infect as many as you can on purpose.
    Except that you are providing your body as an open ground for the infection to take place and either mutate, or affect other non-vaccinated population, like infants. That's pretty much unwilling bioterrorism.

31. Post #31
    February 2009
    25,227 Posts
    Except that you are providing your body as an open ground for the infection to take place and either mutate, or affect other non-vaccinated population, like infants. That's pretty much unwilling bioterrorism.
    In that case, we should probably incarcerate anyone who has a cold, under the PATRIOT Act.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,880 Posts
    Learning the hard way usually involves dead children. Why should they be punished for their parents negligence?

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,496 Posts
    The danger to everyone is not that any particular movement is dangerous, but that "every opinion is equal".

I am for taking as few rights as possible from people, but people who put their children at risk because they "know better" should "know better", certain child vaccinations should be mandatory (which vaccinations should depend on threat level or similar criteria) and paid for by the national health service.

34. Post #34
    Absolute tosser, manchild, and belligerent douche-nozzle.
    July 2006
    6,743 Posts
    These people are endangering the lives of their children, it should be mandatory

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,124 Posts
    People who drive less than the most safe care are also endangering children.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    10,982 Posts
    it is.
    did you know, that polio had almost been comletely eradicated from africa, along with some other deadly diseases, but then some 2-bit imam decided that "human's should not be meddling with nature and/or that america was actually causing the diseases". This is not only a lie, but also in complete contrast with what his own qu'ran teaches (humans will master everything cept' death in their time in the world)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    We nearly had measles, mumps and another virus I can't remember the name of eradicated using vaccines, but then some parents didn't vaccinate their children and now the viruses are roaming free.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    20,184 Posts
    We nearly had measles, mumps and another virus I can't remember the name of eradicated using vaccines, but then some parents didn't vaccinate their children and now the viruses are roaming free.
    If you're referring to the MMR vaccine, then the other is rubella.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,938 Posts
    What country are you in? Most European nations have them for free, and iirc the US distributes them for free for serious diseases or potential epidemics.
    US. My parents didn't exactly trust the random "Head down to X Mall and get Y shot" things they set up. My mom was a practicing nurse at the time so it's not like it was some sort of ideological bullshit either, she simply insisted that if I were to get anything done it would be at a proper doctor's office. I got the ones for shit like polio, just not the ones I could fight off just fine without the vaccine. We also sort of used the school system to top things up, get boosters and what not. They paid for it

Still never had a cold or flu shot and I never will get those. Bloody waste of time.

40. Post #40
    May 2011
    393 Posts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-cKzzPkz2o

I thought this was a little better than the penn and teller video.

However, avoiding vaccinations is a terrible idea. It's harmful not only to you, but your children and more importantly everyone around you should either of you two get the disease that you'd otherwise be protected from.