1. Post #1
    May 2011
    6,650 Posts
    Sometimes, as good as a movie is, there's something in it that just pisses us off.
    This is a thread about those things.

A small request, if your moment is of the spoiler-ey nature, please, name the movie, then block out the spoiler,    like so   .
    Many thanks.

For me, personally, it's in Alien, when    Lambert dies. From what I've heard, it IS intentionally implied that the Alien is, in fact, raping her. Not that this "bothers" me or anything, I just think it's mind-numbingly stupid. Rape is a power thing; the rapist wants to feel control over someone else. This would mean that this creature that has been alive for less than 24 hours, acts purely on animal instinct, and has encountered humans for the first time not only has a full understanding of human reproduction (ie. it knows HOW to rape someone), but it also has the mental capacity to develop the motivation to rape someone. This, for me, just kills it. The Xenomorph is a being of pure instinct; everything it does, it does to survive. The idea that this creature would stop thinking "I must survive" and start thinking "I need to rape someone to satisfy my need to feel power over someone" is just incredibly... stupid...
    Now, if by "the Alien raped Lambert", they mean "the Alien, in the process of killing Lambert, happened to move its tail into that particular place", then that's fine, but the idea of it INTENTIONALLY raping someone, fully aware of what it was doing... 

I dunno, it's just something that's always ticked me off... It just felt like an attempt to make Alien "dark" and "disturbing", despite that it already IS incredibly dark and disturbing. Like they tried SO HARD, they accidentally went overboard and made it look stupid.
    Luckily, it's one of those "leave it to the imagination" scenes, so I can easily assume what I want and enjoy the rest of the spectacular tension and atmosphere VV
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    864 Posts
    I hated some of the cheesy action scenes from Minority Report and the soundtrack during those scenes, which sounded like something from Star Wars.

Other than that, it's one of my favorite movies.

Edited:

That's not to say that the soundtrack is mediocre though, everything else was amazing:

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,068 Posts
    Sometimes, as good as a movie is, there's something in it that just pisses us off.

A small request, if your moment is of the spoiler-ey nature, please, name the movie, then block out the spoiler,    like so   .
    Many thanks.

For me, personally, it's in Alien, when    Lambert dies. From what I've heard, it IS intentionally implied that the Alien is, in fact, raping her. Not that this "bothers" me or anything, I just think it's mind-numbingly stupid. Rape is a power thing; the rapist wants to feel control over someone else. This would mean that this creature that has been alive for less than 24 hours, acts purely on animal instinct, and has encountered humans for the first time not only has a full understanding of human reproduction (ie. it knows HOW to rape someone), but it also has the mental capacity to develop the motivation to rape someone. This, for me, just kills it. The Xenomorph is a being of pure instinct; everything it does, it does to survive. The idea that this creature would stop thinking "I must survive" and start thinking "I need to rape someone to satisfy my need to feel power over someone" is just incredibly... stupid...
    Now, if by "the Alien raped Lambert", they mean "the Alien, in the process of killing Lambert, happened to move its tail into that particular place", then that's fine, but the idea of it INTENTIONALLY raping someone, fully aware of what it was doing... 

I dunno, it's just something that's always ticked me off... It just felt like an attempt to make Alien "dark" and "disturbing", despite that it already IS incredibly dark and disturbing. Like they tried SO HARD, they accidentally went overboard and made it look stupid.
    Luckily, it's one of those "leave it to the imagination" scenes, so I can easily assume what I want and enjoy the rest of the spectacular tension and atmosphere VV
    Maybe it was just horny and went with the "a hole is a hole" thing?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

4. Post #4
    King Shit of Turd Mountain
    July 2009
    8,929 Posts
    I hated some of the cheesy action scenes from Minority Report and the soundtrack during those scenes, which sounded like something from Star Wars.

Other than that, it's one of my favorite movies.

Edited:

That's not to say that the soundtrack is mediocre though, everything else was amazing:

Well it is John Williams, the only time I didn't recognize his music was during War Horse because most of the film didn't even have music.

5. Post #5
    January 2012
    308 Posts
    Well this is tv shows, but breaking bad I hate that retarted kid and kids mom and I hate gay scenes
    in Game of thrones.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,036 Posts
    The whole psychology behind Alien was to play on the fear of being raped.

7. Post #7
    May 2011
    6,650 Posts
    The whole psychology behind Alien was to play on the fear of being raped.
    yeah, but I felt like that was just taking the underlying theme a bit too far...
    like if at the end of Yertle the Turtle, Dr. Seuss shows up and yells "HITLER IS BAD."
    the thing about the Alien is that, while the acid for blood is a bit of a stretch, it just feels like a very plausible creature. having it INTENTIONALLY rape someone just makes it much less believable, which takes away from the horror aspect.

like Michael Meyers. sure, it's a stretch how he survived getting shot and pushed off a balcony, but it was JUST enough to stay somewhat believable.
    then in the sequels, he's getting lit on fire and blown up and hit by cars and all kinds of crazy shit and he's STILL NOT DYING.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,036 Posts
    Haha, yeah I guess you are right. Although I guess it could be working through animalistic instinct though, say in the same way that a dog would hump your leg. Do they even have genitals though?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    19,201 Posts
    80% of the dialogue in the Star Wars prequels.

They're guilty pleasures for me, I'm sorry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    13,288 Posts
    Haha, yeah I guess you are right. Although I guess it could be working through animalistic instinct though, say in the same way that a dog would hump your leg. Do they even have genitals though?
    Well rape isn't really looked upon with the same light in the animal kingdom. Animals have natural instincts to mate, and predators have natural instincts to hunt other animals without remorse. So to xenomorphs who need a human host to cocoon, the host is both the prey and the mate. I'm sure the xenomorph doesn't think of it as a natural instinct to rape rather than a natural instinct to undergo metamorphosis, it's a parasite, not a rapist. Humans just naturally associate the act with rape.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    7,463 Posts

Many thanks.

seriously?

shit like that would go down and be acceptable in a david cronenburg movie but alien is much much more subtle about that shit. i mean alien isn't exactly subtle about it considering the whole facehugger literally shoving this dong down your throat and spurting some alien jizzum in your stomach. but still. i can't believe people actually think that happens in the movie.

rape and murder are two very similar things psychologically. the act of an alien killing someone could be an allusion to the whole "rape scenario". the fact that the alien seems to be driven by this primal rage and a similarly primal need to procreate and survive, well, the alien itself has a very phallic shape itself, i mean it has a thrusting dick tongue it uses in many instances to kill people by thrusting it right through them.

12. Post #12
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    19,201 Posts
    Billy Zane's acting in "Titanic".

13. Post #13
    May 2011
    6,650 Posts
    i can't believe people actually think that happens in the movie.
    Ridley Scott basically confirmed it, he said something along the lines of "and you don't SEE Lambert die, but you hear something that sounds just horrible... this MOANING that doesn't SOUND like she's DYING..." with one eyebrow raised the entire time...
    but like I said, they covered their tails pretty well with this, making it one of those "leave it to the imagination" scenes, like the beginning of Jaws.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    7,463 Posts
    so basically the tree rape scene in evil dead but with a bladed tail instead of a giant blunt branch?

Edited:

honestly i'd think he'd just be fucking with us in that regard.

the whole idea is just gaudy, doesn't suit the movie for me at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    5,964 Posts
    The daughter in the War of the Worlds remake.

It wasn't the best of movies, but I genuinely enjoyed it, except for the fucking girl who wouldn't stop screaming like a banshee.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

16. Post #16
    May 2011
    6,650 Posts
    The daughter in the War of the Worlds remake.

It wasn't the best of movies, but I genuinely enjoyed it, except for the fucking girl who wouldn't stop screaming like a banshee.
    THIS IS MY SPACE. *HYPERVENTALATING* I WANT MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM. *SHRIEKING*
    seriously, Dakota Fanning is just horrible in pretty much everything (but her sister was GREAT in Super 8).
    that whole movie was just kinda mediocre, but I enjoyed it (Tom Cruise throwing a peanut butter sandwich at the window is and always will be fucking hilarious).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    7,463 Posts
    what about man on fire?

18. Post #18
    ultimate poster
    November 2007
    13,577 Posts
    alien was a fantastic movie and the only thing about it that i felt even came close to being laughable was the jump cut between the paper machete head and the actual head

Edited:

speaking of which, hudson in Aliens

holy fuck did i hate this guy

Edited:

i mean shit at least predator 2 was awful so bill paxton's obnoxious wise guy act fit right in but

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    24,623 Posts
    Leon's facial expressions as he tries to kill Deckard in Blade Runner

holy shit was that hilarious

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,667 Posts
    I know this has nothing to do with the movie itself, but the people who decided to make Event Horizon an R rated movie and forced Paul Anderson to cut out 30 minutes of gore, nearly all of which has been lost.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,526 Posts
    How they dealt with Muntz in the movie Up. I could think of 100 ways to resolve his plot,    without killing him.   

He was my favorite character. :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    January 2009
    1,605 Posts
    Not something I hate but something that bugs me
    Why is Robert De Niro left-handed in The Deer Hunter and in no other movie

Once Upon a Time In the West
       Cheyenne's death. Goddamn was it unexpected Still a really good scene   

Once Upon a Time In America
       what is with all the rape   
       Why does Carol seem to note care about getting raped   
       what is with all the rape   

Collateral
       how the hell did Vincent not hit Max at all in the final shooting   
       how the hell did Max hit Vincent at all in the final shooting   
       He was fucking waving the gun in circles with a poor stance   
       why does no one on the train give a fuck   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    5,947 Posts
    There aren't more Sherlock Holmes movies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,443 Posts
    The religious bitch in "The Mist".

She's there to create tension, but just ended up being really annoying to listen to throughout most of the film.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    7,463 Posts
    i agree.

her death was supposed to be cathartic clarity. it was more of a relief moment than anything else   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Show Events Zing Zing x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    12,323 Posts
    The police station bomb in The Dark Knight. Why does everyone just pass out around the joker, but he's totally fine lmao. That was just silly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

27. Post #27
    June 2009
    3,288 Posts

She's there to create tension, but just ended up being really annoying to listen to throughout most of the film.
    She's the character you love to hate, so that you can cheer when they get hit in the face with a frying pan or such.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,068 Posts

She was kinda the point of the film.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    956 Posts

Did you watch the end of the film?

30. Post #30
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,443 Posts
    Did you watch the end of the film?
    Yep.    hence me saying most of the film   

31. Post #31
    few words to create space
    January 2009
    8,096 Posts
    In Watchmen I was actually very disappointed that Snyder used a little bit too much gore in some of the fight scenes. Very unnecessary. Another thing, much more annoying, was the change to    Rorschach's    backstory.    He just kills the murderer with a cleaver instead of burning the house down and leaving a saw for the killer to cut his hand off.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

32. Post #32
    August 2009
    2,057 Posts

Fabienne from Pulp Fiction. She just gets under my skin.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Iceland Show Events Agree Agree x 11Disagree Disagree x 3Funny Funny x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Annotated Reader Lapsed Pacifist
    December 2008
    12,072 Posts
    In The Godfather, I still get annoyed when I see Sonny beat up Carlo. I mean, most of the hits don't even connect and it's pretty damn obvious.

In Watchmen I was actually very disappointed that Snyder used a little bit too much gore in some of the fight scenes. Very unnecessary. Another thing, much more annoying, was the change to    Rorschach's    backstory.    He just kills the murderer with a cleaver instead of burning the house down and leaving a saw for the killer to cut his hand off.   
    I agree, but I loved    Rorschach's    line when he did that    "Men get arrested. Dogs get put down!   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    16,698 Posts

Fabienne from Pulp Fiction. She just gets under my skin.
    Haha, I never noticed this until now.

35. Post #35
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    9,999 Posts
    The hallucination in Tenacious D: TPoD
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    7,463 Posts
    Haha, I never noticed this until now.
    she's the worst part of the fucking movie.

if you took her out of butch's story it would be a whole lot better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,972 Posts
    In Watchmen I was actually very disappointed that Snyder used a little bit too much gore in some of the fight scenes.
    This so much
    The amount of Gore was absurd

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    7,463 Posts
    well there was that much gore in the comic book right?

Edited:

been a while since i've read it

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,919 Posts
    she's the worst part of the fucking movie.
    if you took her out of butch's story it would be a whole lot better.
    She's kind of sweet imo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

40. Post #40
    Annotated Reader Lapsed Pacifist
    December 2008
    12,072 Posts
    well there was that much gore in the comic book right?

Edited:

been a while since i've read it
    It was bloody at points, but definitely not as gorey as the film.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)