1. Post #1
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,449 Posts
    Ever hated your Minecraft username? Just didn't know that registering and buying would make it your permanent name?

Every one of us picked our Minecraft user name when we signed up on minecraft.net for the first time (and every time thereafter). For most of us, knowing that whatever name was chosen is stuck with us forever is just a part of the game. Still, what if you gave yourself a silly or inappropriate name? What if you're just tired of the one you have? Currently, this means getting another copy of the game - but maybe not for long.

Jeb hinted that username changes might be a feature in the near future, something that Mollstam is looking into currently. While there is no set date - or even a hinted one - for the feature's arrival, it would seem that it's more a matter of "when" than "if" now.

Maybe I can use this opportunity to change my name to "MrFluffykins".
    Source.

Edited:

Yea I'm a bit late, but no one else has posted this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Winner x 23Dumb x 3Late x 3Funny x 2Informative x 2Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    "Epic Leddit pwner :)"
    March 2010
    12,134 Posts
    I'd prefer having an account name, then a change-able name for in-game (Like Steam)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Agree x 92Disagree x 3Dumb x 2Late x 1Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,449 Posts
    I'd prefer having an account name, then a change-able name for in-game (Like Steam)
    That's what they are working on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Winner x 47Agree x 2Useful x 1Informative x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,172 Posts
    I kind of expected this after they started allowing users to change their Minecraft account into a "Mojang account", part of the process changes your login from your in-game name to your email address.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

5. Post #5
    September 2011
    868 Posts
    More money for notch
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 13Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,449 Posts
    More money for notch
    Don't care.
    Hate my name, needs to be changed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 17 (list)

7. Post #7
    January 2012
    954 Posts
    Since whenever I tried to buy my own minecraft account I would always get a error. My friend gave me his minecraft account since he never plays it. Since I hate his username so much I never play online. I really hope you will be able to change your username soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

8. Post #8
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,449 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

9. Post #9
    ''just wondering''
    December 2008
    2,834 Posts
    I got Keegs.

Edited:

glad I registered the month classic started
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

10. Post #10
    April 2011
    5,395 Posts
    I don't think I'd use it, I'm fine with just Erfly. I know a bunch of my friends would use it though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    2,000 Posts
    Minecraft is actually how I got my current username.

If they're doing it like steam where you can change your name at any time, that might at least give those stupid Minecraft Clans a point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

12. Post #12
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,449 Posts
    I am hearing rumors about it's going to cost money to do.
    Well atleast they wont charge you for a whole new game.

.. And I only need to change it once.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    SirCrest is my life, so is yours.
    October 2009
    7,323 Posts
    I am hearing rumors about it's going to cost money to do.
    Well atleast they wont charge you for a whole new game.

.. And I only need to change it once.
    Mojang isn't Microsoft
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    :)
    December 2011
    668 Posts
    Mojang isn't Microsoft
    Sometimes they can be.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,449 Posts
    Mojang isn't Microsoft
    Lol the change of names would be insane if it was free.
    And Minecraft is big, but steam is bigger.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    2,015 Posts
    If this does go through, how will admin mods and such work since it currently uses your name, the only other way it can do it is via IP's but if you've got a dynamic IP that's not really great. That leads me to think it'll be pay to change your name but then again they may implement something like Steam ID's but for Minecraft like Mojang ID or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

17. Post #17
    SirCrest is my life, so is yours.
    October 2009
    7,323 Posts
    If this does go through, how will admin mods and such work since it currently uses your name, the only other way it can do it is via IP's but if you've got a dynamic IP that's not really great. That leads me to think it'll be pay to change your name but then again they may implement something like Steam ID's but for Minecraft like Mojang ID or something.
    You do know that that already is in place right? (part of it was logging in with your email instead of username)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    2,015 Posts
    You do know that that already is in place right? (part of it was logging in with your email instead of username)
    Well I know it's half in place, only some people still login with their username not email, me for example, if I try to login to the Minecraft website with my email it says 'Oops, unknown username or password.', happens with quite a few friends too. It would be better if it were fully in place, as far as I know the admin mods at the moment store your username (or IP) for permissions and bans, etc and not your email or 'Mojang ID', obviously using the email of the user is a bad way of doing it because someone could just setup a server collect a bunch of emails and send them spam and phishing emails. Unless I'm missing the fact something like Steam ID has been setup where each account gets a unique ID?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    January 2012
    347 Posts
    Instead of charging money for changing your login name, why not have a nickname system and some sort of identification system like Steam ID's.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 7Agree Agree x 3 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    7,375 Posts
    Instead of charging money for changing your login name, why not have a nickname system and some sort of identification system like Steam ID's.
    Log in with email, have changeable username, bans/whitelists are based on player emails.
    It's not rocket science.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    pointblankrp
    October 2011
    858 Posts
    I'm assuming they would still have the original name as some sort of identification, or some sort of identification (like a steamid).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    January 2012
    347 Posts
    Log in with email, have changeable username, bans/whitelists are based on player emails.
    It's not rocket science.
    Ummm, server owners having access to your email is an absolutely atrocious idea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 23 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    7,375 Posts
    Ummm, server owners having access to your email is an absolutely atrocious idea.
    I suppose, Tyler's idea is better over-all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    April 2011
    633 Posts
    Root name and IGN name with SDK/PHP root name lookup api.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Pony Extraordinaire
    October 2011
    6,134 Posts
    I'm really looking forward to this, I've pretty much always resented my minecraft name and had even considered purchasing the game again just to get rid of it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,449 Posts
    When do you guys think they will add name change system.
    Or do you even think they will add it at all?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Late Late x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    The Amazing
    April 2009
    4,924 Posts
    I think the changeable name + account ID would work if it were a bit like Steam.

Ex: 1:2:37538

The first digit is the type of account you have. 1 for alpha, 2 for beta, and 3 for release. (For the whole content updates free for certain buyers deal)
    The second digit would be the way of telling if the account was premium or free/creative. 1=premium 2=creative/free
    The third digit would be a randomly generated number that is used to ban/unban that specific account from servers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    July 2009
    7,211 Posts
    Third digit shouldn't be random. Plus thats p. stupid, it should just be an ID.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,581 Posts
    It should be which order number they were when they purchased it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    October 2011
    508 Posts
    Good, now I need a way to change my email address as well since I registered on some temporary crap for no reason.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

31. Post #31
    August 2011
    128 Posts
    Good, now I need a way to change my email address as well since I registered on some temporary crap for no reason.
    You can already do that by merging with a mojang accoumt
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

32. Post #32
    we cum tit village
    April 2012
    57 Posts
    Should be like steams system, An account name, then changeable titles
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

33. Post #33
    September 2010
    6,626 Posts
    I heard that you'll be able to change your name once every 3 months? Anyone else heard that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,581 Posts
    I heard that you'll be able to change your name once every 3 months? Anyone else heard that?
    That actually sounds fair.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

35. Post #35
    April 2011
    652 Posts
    I REALLY need to change my username- everyone keeps calling me Meth-rat instead of Me-the-rat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

36. Post #36
    September 2010
    6,626 Posts
    Your name isn't Meth-rat? Woops.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,110 Posts
    What if your initial name is your account name, and you could change your nickname on the minecraft website.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    July 2012
    2 Posts
    We will look into your ideas. for now its just A thought. It will be free overall. thank you.

-Notch

(User was permabanned for this post ("Gimmick" - Swebonny))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Funny Funny x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    ask me for a rust key :~)
    December 2008
    18,257 Posts
    yeah nice try dude

def not mojang
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    July 2012
    2 Posts

Edited:

Edited:

jeb is watching...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8 (list)